• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
A.R.K said:
No its not locked at the Emergency screen. The ATT sim is deactivated and phone shows no carrier signal. But I can navigate the UI, look at settings etc. When I go to wifi settings it won't display any networks at all. Current iOS is 3.1.3 and 5.13.04 baseband. I want to jailbreak it and unlock it to custom 3.1.3. Don't want 4.0+ on it since 3g is too slow to handle it.

I would appreciate if you can help me out.
Try http://jailbreakme.com/ then ultrasnow from Cydia

Crisco

Banned
Anyone else having trouble with MyWi on 4.3.1? Everytime I install it my device just stays stuck in safe mode, which means no jailbreak tweaks are active, until I uninstall it again.

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
Crisco said:
Anyone else having trouble with MyWi on 4.3.1? Everytime I install it my device just stays stuck in safe mode, which means no jailbreak tweaks are active, until I uninstall it again.

Yep same deal for me.

Let me know if you come across a fix.

Blackhead

Redarse
A.R.K said:
I can't use that since I am not able to connect to any wifi network any more. So I can't go online through my iphone to this website to do this. Any other suggestions?
You could try connecting to the internet via bluetooth tethering... But you really should sort out your WiFi problem first.

Edit: You could also get the old Pwnagetool from the dev-team blog but I can't say if that requires a particular version of iTunes. Good luck

A.R.K

Charred Greyface said:
You could try connecting to the internet via bluetooth tethering... But you really should sort out your WiFi problem first.

Edit: You could also get the old Pwnagetool from the dev-team blog but I can't say if that requires a particular version of iTunes. Good luck

I am not sure why my wifi is not working any more (it was when my phone was in service). But as soon as I switched to the new iPhone the old one got deactivated and now it won't even show wifi networks. I called ATT and they said that's how it is and the phone is locked out of wifi too once its deactivated. I am so pissed that they would even turn off the wifi.

Axion22

redsn0w'd last night

Two things not working:
the custom biteSMS icon
NeoGAF web app :(

I didn't use aptbackup this time and I'm much happier, since it would wipe everything but jailbreak apps when restoring. I dont have it installed now, when I noticed it's still in the Applications folder when I SSH in. Is it cool to delete stuff from there straight away?

Blackhead

Redarse
A.R.K said:
I am not sure why my wifi is not working any more (it was when my phone was in service). But as soon as I switched to the new iPhone the old one got deactivated and now it won't even show wifi networks. I called ATT and they said that's how it is and the phone is locked out of wifi too once its deactivated. I am so pissed that they would even turn off the wifi.
So take your new sim card from the iPhone4, stick it in the 3G (there are adapters to fit microsims in a regular sim slot or you can make one with your old sim card), activate your old iPhone and be on your way.

Pwnagetool can 'hacktivate' the 3G for you but using a working AT&T sim card is your best option.

Dazzla

Has anyone had any problems jailbreaking ATV2 4.2.1? I've downloaded the latest IPSW from Apple but redsn0w simply says "unable to recognize specified IPSW". Stuck at the first hurdle really...

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple to Toyota - Take Down that Theme

A couple days ago I wrote an article discussing Toyota's Scion theme they'd published in Cydia through Velti, an advertising agency they use. I was impressed at a major corporation recognizing the niche jailbreak market and pouring some attention into it. The idea brought some interesting possibilities, and the article got some legs, including a mention on Daring Fireball this morning.

Apple also heard about the theme and ad campaign. I received a call from our contact at Velti this evening as well as an email asking me to please take the theme out of Cydia. On the phone, he explained Apple had contacted Toyota and requested they remove the theme and stop the advertising campaign. They (Velti) in turn contacted me relaying the message. The reason Velti listed for the removal request of the theme emailed through our dev portal was "Toyota’s making us take it down…" Toyota had agreed to do so to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," our Velti contact told me on the phone.

We first began talking with Velti the end of April last year, and the theme went live February 10th of this year - so Toyota had been thinking about this a while. In the end of March, 2011 we started their ad campaign on ModMyi.com depiction pages within Cydia pointing to the theme.

There's been a lot of mentions in the media throughout the jailbreak years of the cat and mouse game Apple and the jailbreak dev team are supposedly involved in. This is a very direct message, which is not without precedence (remember when they declared jailbreaking illegal?), but was unexpected. Especially after jailbreaking was officially declared legal, it's interesting Apple maintains such a heavy stance against a niche who obviously loves their hardware so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Such bullshit, but I can understand Toyota's compliance. Oh well, the theme was as horrendous as any other theme companies put out for UI.

rc213

So glad to hear MuscleNerd has figured out the issues ultrasn0w has with older basebands. Just a couple more days.

NJ Shlice

I've been experiencing bad reception issues with iPhone 4. Sometimes I just won't receive phone calls or text messages for a really long time. This was happening before I jailbroke it.

Will "Reset Network Settings" help my problem?

Will "Reset Network Settings" affect my jailbreak?

SleazyC

Crisco said:
When you fire up MyWi or just in general when its installed? I restored a backup of all my apps using PkgBackup after upgrading to 4.3.1 and MyWi hasn't caused any problems. I haven't tried tethering to it yet but I did launch the app to peek at the new Wifi settings and it worked fine.

Axion22

NJ Shlice said:
I've been experiencing bad reception issues with iPhone 4. Sometimes I just won't receive phone calls or text messages for a really long time. This was happening before I jailbroke it.

Will "Reset Network Settings" help my problem?

Perhaps.

Will "Reset Network Settings" affect my jailbreak?

If it's an untethered break, most likely not.

Can I get someone else to report back if the neogaf web app is working for them? Just open it up and hit subscriptions while logged in. Mine goes to the regular www.neogaf.com/forum link.

http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf/

Axion22

saunderez said:
I just posted this from my phone from the web app so it appears its an issue on your end.

Subscriptions are fine too.

Thanks.

edit: I'm stupid. I installed UAFaker and it was faking Chrome. Fixed my problem.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Getting an error when trying to uninstall apps through Cydia. It says sub process use/bin/dpkg returned an error. What gives and how can I fix it? :(

cvxfreak

Really hoping a new iPhone 4 unlock comes out soon.
My volume down button is broken (for the 3rd time, in spite of my efforts to press it gently) so I'll need to get it exchanged, but if I do that, the baseband is sure to be updated. I suppose I can just grab an iPhone 5 when it hits and keep this iPhone 4 as an overseas phone, but still...

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
SleazyC said:
When you fire up MyWi or just in general when its installed? I restored a backup of all my apps using PkgBackup after upgrading to 4.3.1 and MyWi hasn't caused any problems. I haven't tried tethering to it yet but I did launch the app to peek at the new Wifi settings and it worked fine.

Just in general when it is installed. It doesn't have to be running or anything.

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
LeaveItAlone said:
Just in general when it is installed. It doesn't have to be running or anything.
Just gave up with MyWi and bought TetherMe instead. A quarter of the price, works like a charm and with the tether toggle installed to SBSettings it is super easy to quickly turn off or on.

Blackhead

Redarse
LeaveItAlone said:
Just gave up with MyWi and bought TetherMe instead. A quarter of the price, works like a charm and with the tether toggle installed to SBSettings it is super easy to quickly turn off or on.
Which tether toggle are you using?

By the way, what's the best tweak for the multitalsing bar that adds scrolling, killall using transparent icons for closed apps?

PaulLFC

Sorry for the thread bump, I was jailbroken on 4.0.1 so it was time for an upgrade anyway, but last night my 3GS decided to make the decision for me by getting stuck in DFU mode, so I had to restore it with iTunes.

So now I'm on 4.3.1, going to jailbreak it with redsn0w. I have a couple of questions, though. Firstly most guides advise installing stock 4.3.1 before proceeding with redsn0w, however iTunes installed this for me last night, all that I've done so far is restored my apps, contacts etc to it after the new iOS was installed. Can I jump straight to the redsn0w steps, or am I better installing clean 4.3.1 again first?

Also, I'm reading a lot about this iPad baseband option, and how it'll prevent you restoring firmware, etc. I won't be needing it, as I don't need an unlock. So I just untick the iPad baseband option then proceed as normal to jailbreak?

It took me a couple of hours, but after a ton of problems I finally have an iPhone 4 on 4.3.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband.

Edit:

PaulLFC said:
Also, I'm reading a lot about this iPad baseband option, and how it'll prevent you restoring firmware, etc. I won't be needing it, as I don't need an unlock. So I just untick the iPad baseband option then proceed as normal to jailbreak?

I would really think about that before you make a decision on updating the baseband. People will pay a pretty penny for an unlockable iPhone.

Edit 2:

Anyone know whats up with the Cydia repos and 4.3.1, a bunch of them are giving me errors everytime I try to load them up. Having an iPhone without iRealSMS makes me feel like a caveman.

Bigfoot

OK, I think I would finally like to jailbreak my 3GS but I keep reading about baseband. Could someone explain this to me since searching Google just brings up iphone jailbreak sites with no explanation. I have already updated to 4.3.1.

Also, the OP looks a bit outdated. What are the best apps to install after jailbreaking?

Any Jailbroken AppleTV users out there? I need some help. Tonight I was trying to run XBMC, and when I did, I noticed it couldn't connect to the network source. Remembering I had this problem once before, I thought I could just exit XBMC and load it up again to fix it. When I exited, I was left at a garbled green screen. I could still hear sound as if I was navigating but nothing was really on screen except the green. So I thought a reboot should fix it, but alas it just boots to a blank screen. No Apple logo or anything. Can't seem to SSH into it since I can't figure out its WiFi IP. It may not even have one at this point. The LED seems to respond to remote control commands though.

Anyone got an idea how to fix this without having to try to do a restore? I just want to avoid having to set it up again if possible. Not the biggest deal, but would be nice if I could avoid it. If I restore, it might be the incentive I need to upgrade to 4.3.

Porthos said:
OK, I think I would finally like to jailbreak my 3GS but I keep reading about baseband. Could someone explain this to me since searching Google just brings up iphone jailbreak sites with no explanation. I have already updated to 4.3.1.

Also, the OP looks a bit outdated. What are the best apps to install after jailbreaking?

You only have to worry about the baseband if you plan to unlock your phone and use it on a different carrier. However as you've already upgraded to 4.3.1 your baseband has already been updated to one that can't be unlocked yet.

Bigfoot

LyleLanley said:
You only have to worry about the baseband if you plan to unlock your phone and use it on a different carrier. However as you've already upgraded to 4.3.1 your baseband has already been updated to one that can't be unlocked yet.
Thanks. So I can still jailbreak but just not unlock? That is okay with me as I still have time left on my plan.

PaulLFC

Argh, I'm an idiot. Tried twice now to jailbreak my 3GS on 4.3.1 with redsn0w, but no luck. The first time, I followed the prompts but it said it couldn't detect my phone after I attempted to put it into DFU mode. Second time, the phone went into recovery mode instead and I had to restore it with iTunes.

Anyone got any tips for getting into DFU mode consistently? I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly but obviously something went wrong somewhere as the phone went into recovery mode.

Lucis

FiRez said:
I want to know if it's possible to unlock a 3GS with iOS 4.3 and baseband 6.15 with the new bootrom

That's what I want to know also.
I remember there was a way to do it by updating bootrom to and ipad version thats unlockable.
Is there some concrete how to on this now?

FiRez

LyleLanley said:
I'm pretty sure you can.

Thanks, it seems that my best bet is to update to 4.3.1 and then jailbreak, it appears that there isn't a untethered jailbreak available for 4.3

Lucis

FiRez said:
Found this guide which works with the new bootrom and 6.15 baseband, but is in spanish:

http://getmovil.com/jailbreak/sn0wbreeze-jailbreak-untethered-ios-4-3-1/

it seems that the only thing we miss out with our config is custom logos

This is so BS,
i don't want to jail break (which seems a lot easier). I just want to unlock my freaking phone so that I can stop using 2G when i go abroad (which is a lot). My 3GS isn't even under contract anymore. and they won't just unlock it for me.

I really need to spend some time tonight to google on how to unlock this shit.

Kerrinck

Just got an used 3gs on ebay but when I turn it on, it says no service and only allows me to make emergency calls.
Do I need to connect it to itunes? If yes, will it update my iphone to the latest firmware? I need to unlock it so just trying to make sure before I screw something up.

rc213

Finally the ultrasn0w update is out. Going to update my 3GS 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 and unlock before I go to sleep!

sn0wbreeze (Baseband Preservation) > Shift+Restore to Custom IPSW > redsn0w > ultrasn0w

Ignignort

Kerrinck said:
Just got an used 3gs on ebay but when I turn it on, it says no service and only allows me to make emergency calls.
Do I need to connect it to itunes? If yes, will it update my iphone to the latest firmware? I need to unlock it so just trying to make sure before I screw something up.

Yes you'll need to connect it to itunes, it will only prompt that a new firmware is out and if you would like to download/install

Top Bottom