• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

giga

Kerrinck said:
Just got an used 3gs on ebay but when I turn it on, it says no service and only allows me to make emergency calls.
Do I need to connect it to itunes? If yes, will it update my iphone to the latest firmware? I need to unlock it so just trying to make sure before I screw something up.
You can connect it to iTunes. Just decline if it asks you to update.

K701

Banned
Ugh. Getting some headaches here. Every time I power off it goes to DFU mode, and I have to use red snow's boot tethered to get my phone to boot. tiny umbrella's fix recovery option doesn't work.

iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 going into 4.3.1 with old baseband preserved. it's 4.3.1 now but keeps messing up. Tried re-installing snow breeze'd firmware and I keep getting the same thing.

When I use red snow to jailbreak it hangs at installing activation bundles and then goes to DFU. people say to just use tiny umbrella but it doesn't work for me...

rc213

K701 said:
Ugh. Getting some headaches here. Every time I power off it goes to DFU mode, and I have to use red snow's boot tethered to get my phone to boot. tiny umbrella's fix recovery option doesn't work.

iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 going into 4.3.1 with old baseband preserved. it's 4.3.1 now but keeps messing up. Tried re-installing snow breeze'd firmware and I keep getting the same thing.

When I use red snow to jailbreak it hangs at installing activation bundles and then goes to DFU. people say to just use tiny umbrella but it doesn't work for me...

I got stuck on the activation bundles too, After about 10mins it finally got through. 3GS though.

Well it wasn't easy but my 3GS is now 4.3.1 with 05.13.04 Baseband Unlocked with ultrasn0w. On T-Mobile everything works including MMS. =D

K701

Banned
Got it to work. Used tiny umbrella TSS server instead of sn0wbreeze and a boot fix tool on the tiny umbrella site instead of the one built in tiny umbrella.

rc213

K701 said:
Got it to work. Used tiny umbrella TSS server instead of sn0wbreeze and a boot fix tool on the tiny umbrella site instead of the one built in tiny umbrella.

Yeah for iPhone 4 if you're looking to preserve baseband than Tinyumbrella is the only thing you should use because of the baseband shsh apple introduced.

Hanmik

So... I was sitting with my iPad yesterday. And was feeling a tad bit nostalgic. So I went looking for som good Point and Click adventures on the Appstore.. just to find out that it´s only shit in there or that I have the games allready.
So I figured I would like to play my good old LucasArts games on this cool little gadget. I went Googling and found ot that Scummvm supposedly works like a charm on iPad. Therefore I decided to look into Jailbreaking it to be able to replay my LucasArts Games on it..
I have firmware 4.3.1 on my iPad, and I want a untethered jailbreak. I found one, and decided to go for it.. but just my luck, the iPad locked up during the process and I got not get it to turn on anymore.. But luckily I could resurrect it by holding Home & Power button for 15 seconds. And now it is back to normal..

But fuck it, I really want to play those games.. so Gaf.. what should I do to play those games on my iPad with FW 4.3.1 ?

Okay, has this been happening to anyone lately? Everytime I load up to Cydia to check for updates, I get this screen:

4YEWX.png

I haven't been able to update anything for like a week now. Is there something I can fix regarding this? Should I reinstall Cydia via redsn0w?

Ashhong

Guys I need some help. I cant access Cydia on a friend's phone because it keeps crashing at the "Loading Data" page. In order to fix it, I need OpenSSH on the phone, which it doesnt have.

How can I install OpenSSH without Cydia? I am trying Cyder2 but it won't recognize the phone for some reason. Running 3.1.2 iPhone 3G

Ashhong said:
Guys I need some help. I cant access Cydia on a friend's phone because it keeps crashing at the "Loading Data" page. In order to fix it, I need OpenSSH on the phone, which it doesnt have.

How can I install OpenSSH without Cydia? I am trying Cyder2 but it won't recognize the phone for some reason. Running 3.1.2 iPhone 3G

Are you sure you need to use OpenSSH? Could you possibly use DiskAid instead?

Ashhong

Never heard of DiskAid, will check it out. I need to get into the iPhone and delete some files in order to let Cydia load. Will report back..

edit: sweeeet that works too. Thanks

I have another question as well, maybe it's not necessarily a jailbreak-related on but I'm not sure.

For a few months I had been using Photo Albums+ to manage my photos on my phone. I love that tweak. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't transfer the album info over to your computer, and the only way that I'm comfortable making albums on my computer is through iPhoto. So, anywho, after the 4.3.1 jailbreak, Photo Album + stopped working so I decided to just sync my photos on my phone through iPhoto.

Now that Photo Album + works fine now after they updated it, I still want to sync with iPhoto, but I fucking HATE the way that Apple houses both the photos in the albums, AND a duplicate in the "Photo Library" portion in the Photos app. I HATE this. Are these photos housed here actually duplicates of an image, or is it just showing the one photo in multiple locations (the album AND the photo library)?

If they are indeed duplicates, how can I go about fixing this? As great as Photo Album+ is, you CAN'T delete anything in the photo library.

Blackhead

Redarse
So cutyoursim.com is offering permanent unlocks for $169 "no jailbreak required". Their method is to add the iPhone's IMEI to Apple's own whitelist of unlocked iPhones. Seems plausible but I don't want to be the guinea pig...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just upgraded my jailbroken 4.2.1 iPad to 4.3.1 and then jailbroke that. Then i had to go through the process of enabling gestures. Fucking annoying, but the gestures are worth it, even though there's only three of them. Not sure why Apple decided to take them out.

Charred Greyface said:
So cutyoursim.com is offering permanent unlocks for $169 "no jailbreak required". Their method is to add the iPhone's IMEI to Apple's own whitelist of unlocked iPhones. Seems plausible but I don't want to be the guinea pig...

I would wait for someone else to try this out, it seems like it's almost certainly a scam.

Edit:

According to one article I read this is actually being endorsed by the iphone dev team. If this actually does work I'd be happy to pay for it.

Double edit:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/12/sever...ent-iphone-unlock-solution-without-jailbreak/

Looks like it actually does work. But I would be careful

"@MuscleNerd @sherif_hashim Seems @SuperPaddyNL unlock works only for some hours and its getting locked again.. strange... lolz.."

Fun fact: trying to install that theme coincided with my iPhone completely freaking out and me having to do a fresh restore. I'm not saying it's the theme's fault (especially cos it didn't finish downloading) but, in a way, I hold it responsible.

When this finally finishes resyncing everything I'll see if I can actually install it this time.

jts

...hate me...
I don't see the point of having a weather widget taking up more than 1/3 of the screen real estate on both the lockscreen AND the springboard. Really?

hyp

jts said:
I don't see the point of having a weather widget taking up more than 1/3 of the screen real estate on both the lockscreen AND the springboard. Really?

people just gotta know the weather! AND the time!

smh

expy

Banned
jts said:
I don't see the point of having 16+ icons on your home screen when you can just press on a button to pull up a scrollable 'apps' screen.

Preference!

Yami

Jailbroke mine as soon as the 4.3.1 jailbreak hit.

Love it. BiteSMS is a godsend, and themes are fun. Made some custom icons (not visible) too that work well, and it's all nice knowing you're using something that looks all uniform.

lockscreen.jpg
springboard.jpg

Censored my lockscreen with :D's, but will edit the image out entirely if anyone is not comfortable.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OP has fallen behind, so I'll ask it here: I know about the iPhone 4 but is it possible to jailbreak a 4.3.1 iPad1 which has never been jailbroken before? I need to fall back on 4.2.1 until they properly fix the cellular data bug (still there on 4.3.1 even if they said they fixed ot).
If the answer is yes, what's the best method/tutorial?

zychi

Banned
Yami said:
Jailbroke mine as soon as the 4.3.1 jailbreak hit.

Love it. BiteSMS is a godsend, and themes are fun. Made some custom icons (not visible) too that work well, and it's all nice knowing you're using something that looks all uniform.

lockscreen.jpg
springboard.jpg

Censored my lockscreen with :D's, but will edit the image out entirely if anyone is not comfortable.
What theme are you using? This looks awesome

rc213

Dash Kappei said:
OP has fallen behind, so I'll ask it here: I know about the iPhone 4 but is it possible to jailbreak a 4.3.1 iPad1 which has never been jailbroken before? I need to fall back on 4.2.1 until they properly fix the cellular data bug (still there on 4.3.1 even if they said they fixed ot).
If the answer is yes, what's the best method/tutorial?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14566

Looks like it might be possible that 4.3.2 is still vulnerable to the 4.3.1 untethered exploit. =D

FerranMG

Guys, do you use BiteSMS or iRealSMS?

Which one do you recommend?

Anything in particular that needs to be taken into account before getting one of them?

Ashhong

FerranMG said:
Guys, do you use BiteSMS or iRealSMS?

Which one do you recommend?

Anything in particular that needs to be taken into account before getting one of them?

I always prefered BiteSMS, but I cant remember why now, sorry lol

Pachimari

I just lost all of my jailbreak because I changed my carrier, I'm now on 4.3.2 (the latest firmware). Can I jailbreak it with pwnagetool on Mac and then unlock it, so I can use my new sim-card?

rc213

Anastacio said:
I just lost all of my jailbreak because I changed my carrier, I'm now on 4.3.2 (the latest firmware). Can I jailbreak it with pwnagetool on Mac and then unlock it, so I can use my new sim-card?

How did you lose your jailbreak because you changed your carrier?

You can jailbreak 4.3.2 by pointing the jailbreak tools to 4.3.1, But since nothing has been tested a lot of stuff could be broken including ultrasn0w.

Anastacio said:
If you updated without jail breaking or using tinyumbrella then you almost certainly upgraded your baseband and lost the ability to unlock it. At least until the dev team unlock the current baseband.

Pachimari

Alright, cause I have never had much knowledge about these basebands, never understood it. So I'll just look around here for an unlock for the current baseband. When it's ready, I'll just jailbreak the phone with pwnagetool and then find the unlock in Cydia?

Mii

Banned
I recently figured I'd try and make my old iPhone 3G useful again in some manner. I'm considering making it act permanently as a wifi phone as signal is poor in my apartment. I know of apps like Talkatone that let me without jailbreaking make calls through google voice. I currently do have it on my iphone 4. However, I was hoping there would be a better integrated option for a jailbroken iphone 3G. Are there any options for a nicely integrated wifi calling option for jailbroken iOS devices (iPhone 3G in particular)?

FYI, the iPhone 3G is on firmware 3.1.3 and has Cydia at 1.1.1

Top Bottom