• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Forkball

Ok, so I will be moving out of the country in a few months. I have an iPhone 4 in America, but I still want to use it when I move abroad albeit with a local service. Do I need to jailbreak it? What other tips can you give me?

Blackhead

Redarse
Forkball said:
Ok, so I will be moving out of the country in a few months. I have an iPhone 4 in America, but I still want to use it when I move abroad albeit with a local service. Do I need to jailbreak it? What other tips can you give me?
The best tip you could get IMO is to sell your iPhone4 just before leaving the USA and put that money towards buying a phone in whichever country you are going to.

Forkball said:
I did this for my wife recently and I'll be doing the same. I had jailbroken and unlocked her 3GS so she could use whatever SIM she got in the UK (currently on T-Mobile) and hasn't had any issues as of late. I'm unaware of how much easier or hard it is with the microSIM on the 4 though.

rc213

Forkball said:

Needs to be jailbroken and unlocked. So if your baseband/modem firmware isn't currently unlocked by ultrasn0w you're out of luck for now.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm still running 4.0 JB'd

Can I upgrade to the latest firmware then jailbreak again? Can someone link me to the Jailbreak?

Yami

zychi said:
What theme are you using? This looks awesome

Sorry for the late response. Uh, using a multitude of different Winterboard elements. Basically, SB-Widget for the weather/date on the springboard, PrincipiumHD for general UI aesthetics including black notifications and stuff. Lock screen is Blink with my own wallpaper, and all the icons and stuff are part of the AvenueB-HD suite. Made some of my own icons too, but they're not in the screens. Custom carrier logo, but I will probably change it to something else soon though.

Used Iconoclasm to arrange icons in a 3 x 3 grid, but you can do other things with it too like 5 rows or whatever. 5 Row Dock as well for the dock.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Guys i have a Iphone 3GS iOS 4.2.1 unthetered jailbreak, is it obligatory for me to upgrade to iOS 4.3.2 Unthetered jailbreak or i can survive with how it is now.
you're not missing much except for faster javascript speeds, security fixes and a free mobileme find my iphone account.

rc213

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Guys i have a Iphone 3GS iOS 4.2.1 unthetered jailbreak, is it obligatory for me to upgrade to iOS 4.3.2 Unthetered jailbreak or i can survive with how it is now.

You can stay where you are so long as you don't need any of the fixes included in the latest firmware.

Ermac said:
ip4 and no

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4731948971/the-untether-rolls-on

That's the latest untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3.2, Just wait for the pending iPhone 4 fix before using it.
Then you can backup, Update to latest, Restore from backup and jailbreak. Or jailbreak and then restore, I've done both with no difference from what I can tell.

giga said:
4.3.2 untethered redsnow out: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4731948971/the-untether-rolls-on

New PwnageTool later this week.

So us iPhone 4 users are not there yet? we gotta wait a little longer?

unled1yx.jpg

PwnCakes

Neo Member
They fixed the iPhone 4 issue and it works now. I just ran redsn0w rc14 over my copy of 4.3.2.

By the way, is it just me or does it feel like everything gets slower when you do a restore from backup?

black_13 said:
can an iphone 4 with 4.2.1 fw and baseband 3.10.01 be unlocked right now without the sim unlock thing?
Im pretty sure you can't unless you go through those sites that can out your iPhone on apples unlock list. But be warned that may not be permanent and I would do more research before dropping $150 plus for the service.

dyls

I really want a keyboard mod for the iPad that allow for arrows, as in IA Writer. Why can't I seem to find one on Cydia?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dyls said:
I really want a keyboard mod for the iPad that allow for arrows, as in IA Writer. Why can't I seem to find one on Cydia?
Very interested in this, for the same reason (arrows). I don't understand why doesn't give us the option to activate a custom one the way you do when switching between international keyboards/imoji

Flunkie

Banned
Okay, just jailbroke with a fresh install and updated to 4.3.2 (4.1 was getting too bogged down with all the Cydia stuff I installed). Is there a good overall addon for the improvement of the springboard? I used Infinifolder and Infinidock and stuff like that, but a lot of the stuff I had was separate programs for each thing I wanted to do. Is there any big overarching addon like that?

Also, any recent themes or cool new UI stuff to check out?

qcf x2

I just upgraded to 4.3.2, can I jailbreak it? I read up on redsnow and it sounds like you need the phone connected to a computer to turn on in the event that it requires a reboot. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
qcf x2 said:
I just upgraded to 4.3.2, can I jailbreak it? I read up on redsnow and it sounds like you need the phone connected to a computer to turn on in the event that it requires a reboot. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

What phone do you have?

Flunkie said:
Okay, just jailbroke with a fresh install and updated to 4.3.2 (4.1 was getting too bogged down with all the Cydia stuff I installed). Is there a good overall addon for the improvement of the springboard? I used Infinifolder and Infinidock and stuff like that, but a lot of the stuff I had was separate programs for each thing I wanted to do. Is there any big overarching addon like that?

Also, any recent themes or cool new UI stuff to check out?

Check out springtomize if you want an all in one program for changing things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cereal KiIIer said:
The last time I jaibreaked, it was a website with a slide bar. Anything like this exist or will come out for 4.3.2?

Unlikely, for something that easy to exist there'd have to be a serious serious serious security exploit that could be exploited. In that case it was a very serious PDF security error. The same way the jailbreakers exploited it, so too could a virus or damaging code.

rc213

PwnageTool 4.3.2/ultrasn0w 1.2.2 is out for those that need baseband preservation and unlock.

:D My 3GS is now on iOS 4.3.2/Baseband 05.13.04

Im still on 4.2.1, which has amazing battery life.

Does 4.3.2 offer the same awesome battery life? And does the new version of Ultra snow support 4.3.2?

Im very keen to upgrade after I updated my iPad from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 and it was super snappy and responsive. Just wanna confirm if the iphone experience is the same. Just can't bear to update all my cydia apps :(

dyls

luckyarcher said:
Im still on 4.2.1, which has amazing battery life.

Does 4.3.2 offer the same awesome battery life? And does the new version of Ultra snow support 4.3.2?

Im very keen to upgrade after I updated my iPad from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 and it was super snappy and responsive. Just wanna confirm if the iphone experience is the same. Just can't bear to update all my cydia apps :(
I don't feel like my iPhone 4 battery life is nearly as good with 4.3.1 as compared to 4.2.1. You may want to hold off. I havent gone to 4.3.2 yet, but I don't think that update has anything to do with battery life.

rc213

Bleh, Jailbroken/Unlocked up to iOS 4.3.2 and everything seems fine but my "Cellular Data Network" is missing so I can edit my APN settings to get MMS working on T-Mobile.

Anyone know how to get it back?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
petethepanda said:
4.3.1 is terrible. Battery life is inexplicably worse and it crashes at least twice a day. First time I've thought about going non-jb.

On what? My jailbroken iPad on 4.3.1 has great battery life.

Stat Flow said:
On what? My jailbroken iPad on 4.3.1 has great battery life.
iPhone 4. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but the battery life has been noticeably worse since I updated it. Every time I pull out my phone and glance at the battery I go "holy shit!" lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just updated my untethered unlocked 4.3.1 sn0wbreeze JB to the equivalent 4.3.2 JB.
Thank the unofficial app gods for PkgBackup.
I didn't notice my battery life diminish when I jumped from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1, but my reception increased substantially, so much so that for the first time since the iP4 released last summer, I can actually manage 2 bars in most of my basement apartment and not miss out on so many calls/texts/vms! I expect 4.3.2 to prove as reliable.
Edit - Curiously, my "Other" category went from 1.8GB on 4.3.1 down to 1.03GB on 4.3.2, and this with the exact same Cydia apps installed! Noice!

LegoDad

Mejilan said:
Just updated my untethered unlocked 4.3.1 sn0wbreeze JB to the equivalent 4.3.2 JB.
Thank the unofficial app gods for PkgBackup.
I didn't notice my battery life diminish when I jumped from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1, but my reception increased substantially, so much so that for the first time since the iP4 released last summer, I can actually manage 2 bars in most of my basement apartment and not miss out on so many calls/texts/vms! I expect 4.3.2 to prove as reliable.
Edit - Curiously, my "Other" category went from 1.8GB on 4.3.1 down to 1.03GB on 4.3.2, and this with the exact same Cydia apps installed! Noice!

you aren't on the same baseband though are you...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm on same US-launch iP4 baseband as always. 01.59.00. That's why I'm still unlocked on 4.3.2 using the newest ultrasn0w (1.2.2 IIRC).

In my history of jailbreaking, I've used:
jailbreakme.com
Limera1n + TinyUmbrella
GreenPois0n + TinyUmbrella
And most recently, Sn0wBreeze, which doesn't update the baseband.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wanted to save my SHSH for my iPad 2 which is still on the original 4.3.

Never used TinyUmbrella before but it seemed straightforward.

The log however says this:

Code:
04/26/2011 23:13:53.154 Caching shsh files... 
04/26/2011 23:13:53.170 Found [0] shsh files to cache... 
04/26/2011 23:13:53.175 Cached [0] shsh files 
04/26/2011 23:13:53.186 Device connected: iPad 
04/26/2011 23:13:53.192 Loaded History... 
04/26/2011 23:13:53.258 Loaded History... 
04/26/2011 23:14:33.209 Started saving SHSHs for [iPad] 
04/26/2011 23:14:38.522 This device isn't eligible for the requested build.  
04/26/2011 23:14:38.528 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPad2WIFI 4.3 (8F191) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. 
04/26/2011 23:14:47.406 You have saved your iPad2WIFI 4.3.2 (8H7) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version. 
04/26/2011 23:15:25.419 This device isn't eligible for the requested build.  
04/26/2011 23:15:25.427 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPad2WIFI 4.3.1 (8G4) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. 
04/26/2011 23:15:25.434 Finished saving SHSHs for [iPad]
04/26/2011 23:15:25.516 Caching shsh files... 
04/26/2011 23:15:25.526 Found [1] shsh files to cache... 
04/26/2011 23:15:25.533 Cached [1] shsh files

Is that normal?
Just wondering why it says it saved 4.3.2 when I don't have that FW. And the "device isn't eligible" notes.

LogicStep

So I have never unlocked my phone and I want to start doing so for when I eventually sell it. iPhone 4 4.2.1 right now, can I unlock it? If so how?

freshair

zazrx said:
So I have never unlocked my phone and I want to start doing so for when I eventually sell it. iPhone 4 4.2.1 right now, can I unlock it? If so how?

You should be able to as long as the baseband are one of these:

01.59.00 / 04.26.08 / 05.11.07 / 05.12.01 / 05.13.04 / 06.15.00.

and not:

02.10.04 / 03.10.01 / 04.10.01 / 05.14.02 / 05.15.04/ 05.14.02 and 05.15.04.

Top Bottom