• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

rc213

EricHasNoPull said:
Can anyone here confirm if 4.3.3 updates your baseband?

I'm also on 04.10.01, even though there's no unlock for it now, I like to begin thinking ahead and start preserving my baseband. Just in case if I go overseas this summer for a trip, I like to take my Locked phone with me and unlock it.

So what's my best options at this point? Since there's no unlock for my Baseband (04.10.01) Should I (might as well) carelessly update and jailbreak 4.3.3 through Redsn0W. Or someone can recommend me something else?

Thanks

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/prevent-iphone4-baseband-update.html

rc213 said:

Hmm I am kind of weary and not too confident if I want to go ahead with this ...The link in TinyUmbrella website says ...

"Plug in your device and save SHSH (make sure 4.2.1 SHSH were saved, if not don't bother continuing)"
img09cc.jpg

I do have my SHSH dating as far back as 4.0.1 on Cydia, but the question is; I don't have them saved locally, do I need to have them locally on my HDD?

I heard recently that Apple does not allow Cydia servers to check with idevices, if this is true, am I missing the 4.2.1 SHSH? or can I get it from the Cydia Servers via TinyUmb. (There's an option in TU I just noticed where you can check "Request SHSH from Cydia) and download it to my local drive and use it through TinyUmb?

Sorry for the many questions, I just want this to be a painless procedure if I choose to proceed with it, rather than a daunting and painful one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh god, I haven't jailbroken in forever, and never used Snowbreeze. My iPhone is currently jailbroken, can I just run it through snowbreeze and ill be good or do I need to do a restore first?

EDIT: Nevermind, almost done now.

Pachimari

So if Apple has already unlocked my phone through my past carrier, can I then unlock my device 4.3.3 anyway? It could work with my new carrier probably, I'll try it out.

Axion22

Great tip on that DataDeposit. Used that prior to updating. I also restored to factory settings, then restored from a backup, so that 10GB of 'Other' that was nothing is gone. :D

It appears I didn't need to use DataBackup for some things I used it on, but the peace of mind is great to have.

Pctx

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm currently sitting on 4.2.1.

I've got Cydia with SHSH blobs for:
4.0 / 4.0.1 / 4.0.2 / 4.1 / 4.2.1+ and 4.3.3

Baseband, I'm on: 05.15.04

I forgot to backup my baseband before upgrading to 4.2.1. Am I f'ed? Reason I need an unlock is I have a trip planned for the ME and I need my phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

freshair

Pctx said:

I forgot to backup my baseband before upgrading to 4.2.1. Am I f'ed? Reason I need an unlock is I have a trip planned for the ME and I need my phone.

Currently, yes. Ultrasnow currently only supports iPhone 4 baseband 1.59.00, and iPhone 3G/3GS basebands 4.26.08, 5.11.07, 5.12.01, 5.13.04, and 6.15.00.

Dunk#7

QUESTION

I am currently sitting back at JB 4.0.1 on my 3GS

I have major issues with battery life. This may just simply be due to the fact that I bought the 3GS on launch day and the battery is just fading in capacity.

I went to sleep last night with my phone at 100% and woke up with it at 65%. The phone was never touched during this time period, but the battery is still draining regardless.

Are there any known issues or settings that I could toggle that may help with my battery situation?

I keep my SSH and Location Services turned off, but that doesn't seem to be helping. I could turn off 3G and Wi-Fi when not in use as well, but I have not attempted that yet since I thought these toggled off after a period of inactivity anyway.

rc213

Pctx said:

You can upgrade your baseband to the iPad baseband 6.15.00.

Of course that means you get your unlock back but the upgrade could be permanent. There have been rumblings that they have a way of downgrading but nothing has been said. You also run the risk of GPS malfunctioning or not working at all. If you need to restore you will need a firmware cooked with pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze with 6.15.00 in it.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's been almost 2 months since the iPad 2 was released. Is this the longest we've had to wait for the jailbreak of a new device?

Tim-E

Just jailbroke my phone earlier and was shocked at how easy and not dangerous the process was like I had been afraid of for a while.

At this point, if the only thing I use is biteSMS then it was worth it.

Tim-E said:
Just jailbroke my phone earlier and was shocked at how easy and not dangerous the process was like I had been afraid of for a while.

At this point, if the only thing I use is biteSMS then it was worth it.

Agreed, biteSMS is so much more functional than the default SMS app

InertiaXr

I recently got an iPhone 4 about a week ago, and want to look into jailbreaking it. When you jailbreak it how bad is the "Increased risk of instability?" All I would probably want to do with it is get the apparently awesome SMS app and probably some kind of custom home screen for time/date/weather/to do list stuff like that. I'm on a plan with my parents and I opted to not get insurance on it, the guy said it was like $150+ a year and I am not a dumbass so I have never broken any phone so I opted against that, so there is nothing I would have to give up from the support side from Apple/Verizon if i were to do this right?

Pctx

Banned
So, question....

I have a software backup from last june when I was on 4.0.1 with the jailbreakme.com hack. If revert to that software, will that have any effect on the baseband firmware I currently have?

rc213

Pctx said:
So, question....

I have a software backup from last june when I was on 4.0.1 with the jailbreakme.com hack. If revert to that software, will that have any effect on the baseband firmware I currently have?
No baseband updates are permanent unfortunately.

rc213 said:
No baseband updates are permanent unfortunately.

Yup, always use TinyUmbrella if you update to a non jailbroken firmware just to make sure you don't update the baseband. Edit: Only works for iPhone 4

On a related note, I'm getting an Apple TV tomorrow is there a reason worth jailbreaking it? Of note, all my media is on iTunes on my home server so I don't think xbmc would be very useful for me.

rc213

LyleLanley said:
Yup, always use TinyUmbrella if you update to a non jailbroken firmware just to make sure you don't update the baseband.

On a related note, I'm getting an Apple TV tomorrow is there a reason worth jailbreaking it? Of note, all my media is on iTunes on my home server so I don't think xbmc would be very useful for me.
Tinyumbrella only works for iPhone 4.

I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 to 4.3.3 but when I go into cydia I see this mesage:
fpbJU.png

Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it?

freshair

Hellsing321 said:
I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 to 4.3.3 but when I go into cydia I see this mesage
[image]
Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it?

Is this the first time you've launched cydia, or was this a result of a failed installed?

In any case, I think you have to reinstall cydia. Did you happen to have mobileterminal installed? I think there's a way to reinstall cydia through some commands.

rc213 said:
Tinyumbrella only works for iPhone 4.
Can you still update a 3GS with sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool without updating the baseband?

Have a friend who wants me to update/jailbreak his 3GS but he needs an unlock

Also does anyone know If the dev team is working on unlocking the newer basebands? My iPhone 4 has an unlockable baseband so I'm hoping they do before the iPhone 5 comes out so I can sell it easier

rc213

SuicideUZI said:
Can you still update a 3GS with sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool without updating the baseband?

Have a friend who wants me to update/jailbreak his 3GS but he needs an unlock

Also does anyone know If the dev team is working on unlocking the newer basebands? My iPhone 4 has an unlockable baseband so I'm hoping they do before the iPhone 5 comes out so I can sell it easier

Yes, You just need to create a custom firmware.

saelz8

First time jailbreaker here. I wish I did it a long time ago. iFile <3. Downloads <3. VLC <3. 5 Columns <3. Fastsnap <3 Lockdown Pro <3
Photoalbums+ <3.

saelz8 said:
First time jailbreaker here. I wish I did it a long time ago. iFile <3. Downloads <3. VLC <3. 5 Columns <3. Fastsnap <3 Lockdown Pro <3
Photoalbums+ <3.
good man. also check out:

-Sychronicity (use device while syncing)
-SBSettings (swipe access to most major features)
-OpenSSH (for access from your PC to the file system)
-FolderEnhancer (better folders)
-TVOut2Video (or some name like that, puts the iOS screen on your TV if using appropriate cables)

checking out the newest beta of mobilenotifier to see if its progressed since its last beta. Can't really tell for now since I haven't gotten a push notification yet, but it seems like Peter is learning in regards to functionality. I'll probably switch back to Notified Pro and Notification GRiP after a few days, but I wanna support the guy.

cvxfreak

Starting to lose hope for an unlock on basebands higher than 01.59.00.

I have an unlocked iPhone 4, but its volume down and home buttons are borked. Exchanging it means I lose my unlock, unless APple's refurbs are outdated phones. :(

Dreams-Visions said:
better, you say?

in what ways?

I just found it's been more stable and quicker for me and there were always some weird quirks in bitesms, although I haven't used bite in a while.

DeathbyVolcano said:
checking out the newest beta of mobilenotifier to see if its progressed since its last beta. Can't really tell for now since I haven't gotten a push notification yet, but it seems like Peter is learning in regards to functionality. I'll probably switch back to Notified Pro and Notification GRiP after a few days, but I wanna support the guy.

I like the new smaller popups a lot more, the screen that comes up when you launch the multi tasking bar can look a bit confusing when you have an open app in the background.

maruchan said:
Bitesms allows you to have custom ringtones for text and have led notifications.. Does irealsms do that?

To be honest, I'm not sure as I almost always have my phone on vibrate so custom ringtones and led notifications aren't a big deal for me.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying bitesms is bad, I'm just saying give them both a chance as they both come with free trials.

cvxfreak said:
Starting to lose hope for an unlock on basebands higher than 01.59.00.

I have an unlocked iPhone 4, but its volume down and home buttons are borked. Exchanging it means I lose my unlock, unless APple's refurbs are outdated phones. :(

I'm pretty sure they would never refurbish a phone and not update its software. If you really need an unlocked phone you can always buy one from Hong Kong.

cvxfreak

LyleLanley said:
I'm pretty sure they would never refurbish a phone and not update its software. If you really need an unlocked phone you can always buy one from Hong Kong.

True, but the defects on my phone are proof the warranties are essential for iPhones.

cvxfreak said:
True, but the defects on my phone are proof the warranties are essential for iPhones.
3 of 4 iphones among my friends developed bad home buttons.

definitely take them back if your iphone's home button sensitivity drops.

Dreams-Visions said:
3 of 4 iphones among my friends developed bad home buttons.

definitely take them back if your iphone's home button sensitivity drops.

All iPhone 4s? My 3G never had this issue nor did I hear about it till this recent generation of phones. I'm planning on taking mine back but I just haven't had time to unjailbreak it before it return it.

Marty Chinn said:
All iPhone 4s? My 3G never had this issue nor did I hear about it till this recent generation of phones. I'm planning on taking mine back but I just haven't had time to unjailbreak it before it return it.
yes, they were all iphone 4's.

le.phat

Okay GAF, so i my Iphone 3GS needs to be sent back to the store but i'm rocking a jailbreak based on firmware 4.0.1 (8a306) Can i completely revert back to a default iphone ? I am already dead, arn't i ?

Axion22

le.phat said:
Okay GAF, so i my Iphone 3GS needs to be sent back to the store but i'm rocking a jailbreak based on firmware 4.0.1 (8a306) Can i completely revert back to a default iphone ? I am already dead, arn't i ?

Plug in to iTunes - Restore to factory settings.

Dunk#7

Dunk#7 said:
QUESTION

I am currently sitting back at JB 4.0.1 on my 3GS

I have major issues with battery life. This may just simply be due to the fact that I bought the 3GS on launch day and the battery is just fading in capacity.

I went to sleep last night with my phone at 100% and woke up with it at 65%. The phone was never touched during this time period, but the battery is still draining regardless.

Are there any known issues or settings that I could toggle that may help with my battery situation?

I keep my SSH and Location Services turned off, but that doesn't seem to be helping. I could turn off 3G and Wi-Fi when not in use as well, but I have not attempted that yet since I thought these toggled off after a period of inactivity anyway.

Any thoughts?

Hi guys need some help regarding file transfer to iphone 4.

I got this large image (Tiff file) and its one of those Topo Maps that you get on a GPS.
these images are huge around 60-100 mb per image.

how do I transfer them and what program should I use to watch them in my iPhone 4?

anyone got experience as using your iphone as a wilderness GPS?

Top Bottom