• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

LogicStep

Ok, so if any of you use SlantedLock on your iPhone 4, you know that the background cannot be changed anymore since 4.2.1, you either use the SlantedLock's default changing background or you get a black screen. Well there was a workaround to this that let you use any picture you wanted as a background but it was a low res version of the picture. Well, it seems I found something that says it will let you use an HD wallpaper, thing is this is not working out for me.

Link here

I went into iFile and edited the SlantedLock css file like it says there, the problem is, the instructions say the program will back out 3 folders and get the background pictures from the app's folder but said folder doesn't exist in my Themes folder. I'm trying to find where the hell this app is located at so that maybe I can edit the code so it goes to the right location. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong and it isn't working because of it. Has anyone tried this or has found a workaround for the SlantedLock problem?

NVM I figured it out. If anyone has any trouble with the above like I did let me know and I'll explain how to fix it.

Woffls

Right

Got a non-jailbroken 3GS on 4.3.3 that needs unlocking, but my baseband (5.16) isn't unlockable and, if I understand correctly, my only option is upgrading to the iPad 6.15 bb. Is it correct that this is currently irreversible, and compromises GPS?

I've read a few pages back and have done some research, but I just wanted to make sure I understand it all. I heard that Dev Team are working on a downgrade solution, but I'd rather wait until it's released before screwing the phone up!

Thanks gaf :D New to all this jailbreaking business, and all I really want to do is unlock the damn thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a tweak that enables iPhones to play embedded videos without automatically using the fullscreen (i.e. How the iPad plays videos)?

Woffls said:
Right

Got a non-jailbroken 3GS on 4.3.3 that needs unlocking, but my baseband (5.16) isn't unlockable and, if I understand correctly, my only option is upgrading to the iPad 6.15 bb. Is it correct that this is currently irreversible, and compromises GPS?

I've read a few pages back and have done some research, but I just wanted to make sure I understand it all. I heard that Dev Team are working on a downgrade solution, but I'd rather wait until it's released before screwing the phone up!

Thanks gaf :D New to all this jailbreaking business, and all I really want to do is unlock the damn thing.
Sounds to be like you've don't your research well

Is anybody aware of a decent alternative to the iPhone/iPod's music player?

My brother-in-law is complaining that the default one doesn't scroll the name of the currently-playing song. I've noticed this too.

Are there any good ones out there?

I'm letting go of my jailbreak for now, I hate the problems with updating and stuff, I just don't have the time or care to keep up with it all.

i'm really tired of my OG iphone (jailbroken & unlocked) and tried jailbreaking& unlocking an iphone 3G i got from a friend (standard procedure with redsn0w)
jailbreak worked, but unlock didn't
never got any reception :(
any ideas, gaf?

Hopefully you can help GAF. After an hour of transferring, backing up, restoring and finally syncing, my 3GS is now up to the latest official firmware after 9 months of jail broken goodness. Sadly, it became too buggy so i restored. Weirdly, my sms app is now completely gone. I see the sms setting options under the settings app, but the actual button for the text app is totally gone. I cant begin to understand how this happened. What should i do?

Gamer @ Heart said:
Hopefully you can help GAF. After an hour of transferring, backing up, restoring and finally syncing, my 3GS is now up to the latest official firmware after 9 months of jail broken goodness. Sadly, it became too buggy so i restored. Weirdly, my sms app is now completely gone. I see the sms setting options under the settings app, but the actual button for the text app is totally gone. I cant begin to understand how this happened. What should i do?
Since it's backed up:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

See if it comes back then. If so, restore from your backup.

^ Edit: Thanks for the tip. I was about to restore it again too. Glad that didnt happen. Shit takes forever!

Got it back. I was getting nervous!

I suddenly found it on the 4 page of the app switcher so i decided to just shut it down completely. On boot up is was back on the home screen. Weird.

AndroidLoader seems pointless. I have folders for a reason, and if I want a specific app I just search for it with spotlight.

The best Android tweak I've used is the port of Android's lock screen, the dot pattern thing. Perfect middle-ground between adding security and still keeping the unlock speedy.

butter_stick said:
AndroidLoader seems pointless. I have folders for a reason, and if I want a specific app I just search for it with spotlight.
Immediately uninstalled it. Total waste of time.
If it atleast had auto sorting with prominently used apps at the top it would have been useful. BUt then it wouldn't be that slick.

I recently switched to Verizon and I'd like to sell my old ATT iPhone 4. Its Jailbroken but not unlocked. Its on 4.3.3 and the baseband is 04.10.01. Is there a way to unlock it or is one coming sometime soon?

I have a jail breaking question. Is there a way I can make it so that I can have the Answer/Ignore buttons show up when getting a phone call, even when the phone is locked?

Thanks..

Hieberrr

I've been out of the loop for around 2 years now, but I was wondering: What is the most stable iOS for the 2nd gen iPod touch? It's a 16GB MB model.

Thanks!

thewesker said:
I have a jail breaking question. Is there a way I can make it so that I can have the Answer/Ignore buttons show up when getting a phone call, even when the phone is locked?

Thanks..
Found this. Called EZDecline if anyone is wondering.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is KeepAwake still available on some repo? Does it work on 4.3.3? What about Insomnia?
Is there an tweak to enable an iPod Touch keep downloading over WiFi when the screen dims and then turns off?

Kirby102

Just a quick question, is there a Cydia plugin that allows for the homescreen background to pan? Like how if you slide to a different page on the home screen, the background would shift to the left/right or something.

Something similar to what the Android has, I think it would look great :D (and esp. on the iPad too!) [pun intended :p ]

freshair

Kirby102 said:
Just a quick question, is there a Cydia plugin that allows for the homescreen background to pan? Like how if you slide to a different page on the home screen, the background would shift to the left/right or something.

Something similar to what the Android has, I think it would look great :D (and esp. on the iPad too!) [pun intended :p ]

Simple Background? http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=21431

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lagz73o_1dY&feature=player_embedded

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
are there any free tether apps? my mywi trail is about to expire

Finally got around to updating to 4.3, and now Winterboard doesn't quite work right:

photo1.png

(with, Blink applied, the lockscreen still shows the standard clock and slider)

I've messed with the WB settings... Am I missing something obvious?

Actually, I just installed that and it got rid of the clock. But that "slider shell" is still there...

Ah, "transparent slider background" did it. Now to figure out why an image won't show up. I have "user lock background" on, and I've tried it both higher and lower than Blink.

EDIT: Okay, fuck Blink. You actually have to SSH in and replace the wallpaper .png, whatever. Back to Simplscreen.

I need to take my phone in to get replaced. What's the easiest way to backup everything from the jailbreak so I can restore those apps as well? Plus, I need to get it back to a non jailbreak mode, so do I just simply restore using official firmware?

Blackhead

Redarse
Facebook hires Geohot

Still no jailbreak available for the iPad 2...

Marty Chinn said:
I need to take my phone in to get replaced. What's the easiest way to backup everything from the jailbreak so I can restore those apps as well? Plus, I need to get it back to a non jailbreak mode, so do I just simply restore using official firmware?
Er, late on this but AptBackup and datadeposit, I think. and yes, a simple restore is what takes you back to non jailbreak mode.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
innnnnnteresting:

derp said:
Blob monster
It looks like Apple is about to aggressively combat the “replay attacks” that have until now allowed users to use iTunes to restore to previous firmware versions using saved SHSH blobs.

Those of you who have been jailbreaking for a while have probably heard us periodically warn you to “save your blobs” for each firmware using either Cydia or TinyUmbrella (or even the “copy from /tmp during restore” method for advanced users). Saving your blobs for a given firmware on your specific device allows you to restore *that* device to *that* firmware even after Apple has stopped signing it. That’s all about to change.

Starting with the iOS5 beta, the role of the “APTicket” is changing — it’s being used much like the “BBTicket” has always been used. The LLB and iBoot stages of the boot sequence are being refined to depend on the authenticity of the APTicket, which is uniquely generated at each and every restore (in other words, it doesn’t depend merely on your ECID and firmware version…it changes every time you restore, based partly on a random number). This APTicket authentication will happen at every boot, not just at restore time. Because only Apple has the crypto keys to properly sign the per-restore APTicket, replayed APTickets are useless.

This will only affect restores starting at iOS5 and onward, and Apple will be able to flip that switch off and on at will (by opening or closing the APTicket signing window for that firmware, like they do for the BBTicket). geohot’s limera1n exploit occurs before any of this new checking is done, so tethered jailbreaks will still always be possible for devices where limera1n applies. Also, restoring to pre-5.0 firmwares with saved blobs will still be possible (but you’ll soon start to need to use older iTunes versions for that). Note that iTunes ultimately is *not* the component that matters here..it’s the boot sequence on the device starting with the LLB.

Although it’s always been just “a matter of time” before Apple started doing this (they’ve always done this with the BBTicket), it’s still a significant move on Apple’s part (and it also dovetails with certain technical requirements of their upcoming OTA “delta” updates).

Note: although there may still be ways to combat this, a beta period is really not the time or place to discuss them. We’re just letting you know what Apple has already done in their exisiting beta releases — they’ve stepped up their game!

Greyface said:
First, check if the carrier the iphone is locked to allows official unlocks. You can find out here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

If the carrier won't unlock your iPhone then your other option is to try the new Gevey Sim. Many wouldn't recommend it but apparently it works.
But it says on the site that:
At this moment, you do not need to buy a GEVEY turbo sim for you iPhone. All iPhone iOS versions except iPhone4 4.1(baseband 02.10.04) and iPhone4 4.2.1(baseband 03.10.01) had been unlocked by ULTRASN0W. We do not answer any questions for it.

So can I use thus ultrasnow for it?

zychi

Banned
So I need some help fellow jailbreakers. I sold my laptop that my iphone 4 was attached to, and am now using a different computer to do everything. I want to be able to manage my music and stuff on this new computer, but itunes won't let me without erasing. The itunes on this computer is connected to the same external as the sold laptop, but it calls it a different "library" compared to my iphone's.

Is there some way to do this without deleting the jailbreak?
If I have to delete the jailbreak, how do I go about doing it so I don't brick the phone, and how do I keep it so I don't update/I'm at a firmware that is still jailbreakable?

Blackhead

Redarse
zychi said:
So I need some help fellow jailbreakers. I sold my laptop that my iphone 4 was attached to, and am now using a different computer to do everything. I want to be able to manage my music and stuff on this new computer, but itunes won't let me without erasing. The itunes on this computer is connected to the same external as the sold laptop, but it calls it a different "library" compared to my iphone's.

Is there some way to do this without deleting the jailbreak?
If I have to delete the jailbreak, how do I go about doing it so I don't brick the phone, and how do I keep it so I don't update/I'm at a firmware that is still jailbreakable?
itunes only wants to erase your media i.e. your music, podcasts and videos etc. it shouldn't affect your other apps or your jailbreak.

usea

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't want to start a whole thread for a small issue. I couldn't find a general purpose iphone or idevice thread. I figure you guys are pretty knowledgeable about iphones.

My fiance dropped her iphone 4 in the toilet a few days ago. She couldn't turn it off because touching wasn't working and it wanted her to slide to turn off. She put the phone in some rice and it's been in there since then. I just took it out of the rice and plugged it into the charger. It came on, but goes to a screen that asks to plug the phone into itunes, and has a window that says imei and iccid are unknown. It looks just like this. Doesn't make any sounds, and can't find the network. She can apparently make emergency calls though.

I've done some googling, but most of the results have to do with jailbreaking. I took the sim card out, and the tray has an IMEI number on it. We tried plugging the phone into both of our computers, but neither one recognizes it at all. Windows doesn't even say a device was plugged in. What can I do to fix the phone? I hope it's not borked, as we cannot afford to replace it (or even afford to eat the contract cancel price)..

Help :(

every time i make a purchase at the app store now, apple sends me a letter saying the purchase looks suspicious and that i should change my password.

anyone experience this? i can only assume it has something to do with my jailbreak?

TheDanger

Banned
I hated my iPhone 4 before jailbreak after about two hours. I couldn't believe how castrated that fuckin masterpiece of hardware is by the Os. I mean you can't even set a custom ringtone without iTunes...

Blackhead

Redarse
Barkley's Justice said:
every time i make a purchase at the app store now, apple sends me a letter saying the purchase looks suspicious and that i should change my password.

anyone experience this? i can only assume it has something to do with my jailbreak?
never experienced that, not even when that chinese hacker was going around and got into my alt uk account :/. You should email the itunes store team and sort it out.

Pachimari

But we still need to have old basebands right?

By the way, the JailbreakMe.com is down but it's getting back up again, they need to fix something.

rc213

Anastacio said:
But we still need to have old basebands right?

This is for jailbreaking only, No news on Unlocking newer basebands. Obviously if you need an Unlock think twice about updating to 4.3.3 then think it over some more.

zychi

Banned
finally. just ordered mine off amazon. been waiting for this day to purchase it.

and if ipad 3 does come out this year, i'll just sell :)

Top Bottom