• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Loving the jailbroken iPad 2.

These are the apps I've downloaded from Cydia so far, all are working beautifully:

SBSettings
RetinaPad
Iconoclasm
FolderEnhancer
MultiIconMover
BrowserChanger
MXTube

ocadman

So ipad2 is my first iOS device and Im pretty much a noob when it comes to this so what exactly is the advantages to jailbreaking?

bathala

Banned
ocadman said:
So ipad2 is my first iOS device and Im pretty much a noob when it comes to this so what exactly is the advantages to jailbreaking?
retinapad makes those iphone only app look crisp.
photoalbum + create folders within photoalbum

tired of those rows of icons. spice it up with themes, man
just to name some.

JAVK said:
I got given an unlocked iPhone 4 last week. This device is not locked to any carriers, So do I have to worry about the base-band stuff.

I have jailbroken my iPad before, but never an iPhone, and I know they require different steps.

Again this iPhone 4 is unlocked. Currently running 4.3.3.

jailbreakme.com will jailbreak it.

Btw all you new iPad 2 jailbreakers you should get XBMC. It apparently runs amazingly on iPad2. It's the best Media Player on iOS and has tons of plugins for other video sites.

JAVK said:
I got given an unlocked iPhone 4 last week. This device is not locked to any carriers, So do I have to worry about the base-band stuff.

I have jailbroken my iPad before, but never an iPhone, and I know they require different steps.

Again this iPhone 4 is unlocked. Currently running 4.3.3.

You got given a factory unlocked iPhone4 right? Otherwise this will remove the unlock.
If it's factory unlocked, you're good to go.

Gaaraz

I'm running jailbreak 4.2.1 at the moment, and going away on holiday in a week... I'm very (very!) dependant on my phone and certain jailbroken apps too, so was going to wait before upgrading to 4.3.3 (I tried using redsn0w/redmondpie but it wouldn't work at all, unsure why) when I get back... will jailbreakme be around then, or do you think Apple will get it taken down asap?

raiot

Finally the Ipad 2 Jailbreak!
I can't wait to go home and install RetinaPad and VLC!
Are there any Ipad specific themes like Suave HD for iphone?

Zzoram

To jailbreak an iPad 2, you just install the Cydia app?

Any bugs/incompatibilities known?

What security settings do you have to tweak if you install the Cydia app?

Can I still buy iTunes apps and sync with my PC if I jailbreak?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what am I going to mess up doing this? I have AppleCare too, I assume it voids that, is it easy to factory reset if needed?

EDIT:
Also is there some kind of Jailbreak app store where you get apps not normally on iOS?

The new jailbreakme is pretty awesome, worked flawlessly on my iPad 2.

Deadly Cyclone said:
So what am I going to mess up doing this? I have AppleCare too, I assume it voids that, is it easy to factory reset if needed?

EDIT:
Also is there some kind of Jailbreak app store where you get apps not normally on iOS?

You won't mess anything up so badly that you can't just restore it in iTunes. Cydia is the jailbroken version of an app store.

Zzoram said:
To jailbreak an iPad 2, you just install the Cydia app?

Any bugs/incompatibilities known?

What security settings do you have to tweak if you install the Cydia app?

Can I still buy iTunes apps and sync with my PC if I jailbreak?

Not sure about bugs, but as for your last two questions, the only security setting you should worry about is changing your ssh password from the stock one to something else.

And yes, you can still buy and use apps from the App store and you can sync it with your pc/mac.

MightyKAC

Just received my "new" 1st gen iPad refurb today (4.3) and immediately jumped on the JB web site.

Works as advertised.

Edit: Now the real question is what happens if I update to 4.3.3 ?

MightyKAC said:
Just received my "new" 1st gen iPad refurb today (4.3) and immediately jumped on the JB web site.

Works as advertised.

Edit: Now the real question is what happens if I update to 4.3.3 ?

I just used it on my 4.3.3 iPad 2 and it worked fine.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Cool.

So if I were to install this, but then later wanted to upgrade to iOS5, would I just factory reset my ipad?

Yeah, or you could just upgrade your iPad like normal and lose the jailbreak.

Zzoram

LyleLanley said:
Yeah, or you could just upgrade your iPad like normal and lose the jailbreak.

So if you click to update firmware to iOS5, but have Cydia on your iPad, it would just overwrite and remove Cydia? You don't have to first unjailbreak to update your firmware?

If you just upgrade directly from a jailbreak to a new official OS through iTunes sync, does it just delete all your jailbreak apps and leave your iTunes apps alone?

Zzoram said:
So if you click to update firmware to iOS5, but have Cydia on your iPad, it would just overwrite and remove Cydia? You don't have to first unjailbreak to update your firmware?

If you just upgrade directly from a jailbreak to a new official OS through iTunes sync, does it just delete all your jailbreak apps and leave your iTunes apps alone?

Yup, you will lose your jailbreak and all your jailbroken apps, but all your official apps and data will remain.

Zzoram

LyleLanley said:
Yup, you will lose your jailbreak and all your jailbroken apps, but all your official apps and data will remain.

Can Apple detect if you've jailbroken when you sync with iTunes, even if you're not updating to an official OS? Would they take action against you like void your warranty?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm thinking of doing this jailbreakmedotcom thing. One question, when the next iPhone software update is released and I want those new features, can I just hit "update" on iTunes and be back to official firmware?

Kosmo

Banned
sykoex said:
I'm thinking of doing this jailbreakmedotcom thing. One question, when the next iPhone software update is released and I want those new features, can I just hit "update" on iTunes and be back to official firmware?

Yes. Actually, I think you'll need to restore factory settings in iTunes, then update to iOS5.

iamtheb

LyleLanley said:
Not sure about bugs, but as for your last two questions, the only security setting you should worry about is changing your ssh password from the stock one to something else.

How would I go about this, sir?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zzoram said:
Is the SSH thing included with Cydia, and how do you change the password?

openssh is not included with cydia.

you can install it from cydia by searching for openssh

iamtheb said:
How would I go about this, sir?

it only matters if you install openssh, which is not installed by default.

if you install openssh, you would ssh into your device (username root password alpine) and type passwd

Zzoram said:
Can Apple detect if you've jailbroken when you sync with iTunes, even if you're not updating to an official OS? Would they take action against you like void your warranty?

Apple has in the past been able to detect jailbreaks as has been seen with them not allowing jailbreak users from using ibooks for a while, but that was fixed by the jailbreak community. As for voiding your warranty, you don't have to worry about that unless you bring in an unlocked/jailbroken phone to be repaired by Apple. Just remember to restore your phone before taking it in for repair.

Zzoram

Stumpokapow said:
openssh is not included with cydia.

you can install it from cydia by searching for openssh

it only matters if you install openssh, which is not installed by default.

if you install openssh, you would ssh into your device (username root password alpine) and type passwd

Why do people use openSSH?

Zzoram

LyleLanley said:
Apple has in the past been able to detect jailbreaks as has been seen with them not allowing jailbreak users from using ibooks for a while, but that was fixed by the jailbreak community. As for voiding your warranty, you don't have to worry about that unless you bring in an unlocked/jailbroken phone to be repaired by Apple. Just remember to restore your phone before taking it in for repair.

Hmm they can block you from using iBooks? Even to read stuff you already have, or just block you from buying stuff? Why would they block you from buying stuff?

Zzoram said:
Hmm they can block you from using iBooks? Even to read stuff you already have, or just block you from buying stuff? Why would they block you from buying stuff?

It was just a one time thing you don't have to worry about anymore.

Gaaraz

What (noticeable) upgrades will I get from going 4.2.1 -> 4.3.3? (other than the potentially shoddy battery life!)

thanks

I lterally just a few minutes ago downloaded Cydia to my iPad 2 via www.jailbreakme.com.

I'm new to the jailbreaking scene, so I have a few questions:

What's the difference between different jailbreaking options? Are certain apps/packages only available on specific jailbreaks?

Which jailbreak do most of you guys recommend?

What happens if I install two or more jailbreaks at the same time?

Shotgun Kiss said:
I lterally just a few minutes ago downloaded Cydia to my iPad 2 via www.jailbreakme.com.

I'm new to the jailbreaking scene, so I was wondering; what's the difference between different jailbreaking options? Are certain apps/packages only available on specific jailbreaks?

Which jailbreak do most of you guys recommend?

What happens if I install two or more jailbreaks at the same time?

I think you're confused, you can only jailbreak an iDevice once, once it's jailbroken you don't need to jailbreak it again unless you restore or update it.

LyleLanley said:
I think you're confused, you can only jailbreak an iDevice once, once it's jailbroken you don't need to jailbreak it again unless you restore or update it.

Thanks, but in that case, how come I've seen people on YouTube and the like using apps that I can't seem to find on Cydia?

LyleLanley said:
They probably added sources to cydia that you don't have.

Haha, thanks, I just discovered that this second.

Since different apps require different sources, is there a good go-to website to browse apps across all (or most) sources? It'd be nice to have a reference that I can browse to see what I like, and then add sources as necessary.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
LyleLanley said:

Coming from Android rooting I get a bit confused because usually when you hear a "brand" it is associated with a custom ROM or specific theme for the device. It is similar to jailbreaking though being that once you are rooted, you are rooted. There are different ways to get rooted, and different programs that will install custom overhauls on your Android device, but you are still rooted.

Maybe it is similar with iOS and jailbreaking means you are jailbroke, but there can be different "packages" to use once jailbroken (i.e. Cydia's appstore).

Blackhead

Redarse
Shotgun Kiss said:
Haha, thanks, I just discovered that this second.

Since different apps require different sources, is there a good go-to website to browse apps across all (or most) sources? It'd be nice to have a reference that I can browse to see what I like, and then add sources as necessary.

Thanks again for your help. :)
http://modmyi.com/cydia/

Kirby102

Hmm, just JB'd my iPad2 (yay) on 4.3.3...

Just wondering, are there any NES emulators for the iPad that support iPhone/iPodTouch Controllers? That would be epic. I don't want SNES ones since, you know, it doesn't feel right, with the shoulder buttons being in an awkward spot on the screen.

This would be lovely to play on and with multiplayer, just so good :D

Also, why don't Parallax and Simple Background work on my iDevices :( they just seem to crash and go into safe mode :(

Kirby102 said:
Hmm, just JB'd my iPad2 (yay) on 4.3.3...

Just wondering, are there any NES emulators for the iPad that support iPhone/iPodTouch Controllers? That would be epic. I don't want SNES ones since, you know, it doesn't feel right, with the shoulder buttons being in an awkward spot on the screen.

This would be lovely to play on and with multiplayer, just so good :D

Also, why don't Parallax and Simple Background work on my iDevices :( they just seem to crash and go into safe mode :(

Are we even allowed to talk about emulators and ROMs here? I thought that was off-limits. I can see people have already been talking about them in older posts, but I'd rather know for sure.

ocadman

Shotgun Kiss said:
Are we even allowed to talk about emulators and ROMs here? I thought that was off-limits. I can see people have already been talking about them in older posts, but I'd rather know for sure.

Emulators are fine. Roms, just tread lightly.

Top Bottom