• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

ocadman said:
Emulators are fine. Roms, just tread lightly.

This is new territory for me, so pardon my ignorance, but which ROMs are OK to discuss, and which aren't? I'm guessing that ROMs of games currently available at retail are a big no-no (and understandably so), but is there more to it than that? Is stuff like SNES, Genesis, and N64 games acceptable or off-limits?

Midas said:
Damnit. Cydia just "installs" and disappears. :(
Mine was doing that at first, just keep trying.

I was a little thrown by how easy it's become. I kept waiting for long installs, shutdowns and restarts. It's literally just installing an app, now.

Midas

adamsappel said:
Mine was doing that at first, just keep trying.

I was a little thrown by how easy it's become. I kept waiting for long installs, shutdowns and restarts. It's literally just installing an app, now.

Did it install fully or halfway? The progress meter gets halfway and then it disappears.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Shotgun Kiss said:
This is new territory for me, so pardon my ignorance, but which ROMs are OK to discuss, and which aren't? I'm guessing that ROMs of games currently available at retail are a big no-no (and understandably so), but is there more to it than that? Is stuff like SNES, Genesis, and N64 games acceptable or off-limits?

if you did not rip the game yourself, don't talk about it.

i am pretty interested in emulators, myself, so let me know what you find out in that regard.

jon bones said:
if you did not rip the game yourself, don't talk about it.

i am pretty interested in emulators, myself, so let me know what you find out in that regard.

Thanks.

Since emulators are OK to talk about, are there any that allow you to use a Classic Controller?

LyleLanley said:
What do you have to lose? Worst case you just upgrade to iOS5 and lose the jailbreak.

I heard that it's best to restore your iPhone/iTouch/iPad beforehand (to remove all traces of jailbreak), which results in you losing all game saves for official iOS app games. Is that true?

Also, how do I change my password for OpenSSH? A Google search results in a lot of people saying to use MobileTerminal, but that's incompatible with 4.3.3.

EDIT: Never mind, I had downloaded an outdated version of Mobile Terminal. It's done now.

But since I've seen other people here asking, here's a link showing how to do it.

Just make sure that you download "MobileTerminal 4.26", rather than just "MobileTerminal".

hyp

LyleLanley said:
What do you have to lose? Worst case you just upgrade to iOS5 and lose the jailbreak.
I caved. lol. yea figured I will just install retinapad and not beef my iPad 2 up too much. then come ios5 it will be an easier transition.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Shotgun Kiss said:
Thanks.

Since emulators are OK to talk about, are there any that allow you to use a Classic Controller?

personally, i'm interested in SNES/PSX emulators that use the iphone as a controller. sounds pretty god-tier to me

raiot

Does anyone know how to get VLC from Cydia? I added the rpetri.ch/repo repository but when i try to download VLC i get a 403 Forbidden error.

jon bones said:
personally, i'm interested in SNES/PSX emulators that use the iphone as a controller. sounds pretty god-tier to me

To each their own, but I don't see how using a touch screen device as a controller of any kind (be it the same device you're playing on, or another one) is better than using an actual controller with a D-Pad and buttons. Especially for SNES games, where you're using a controller with the exact same design as intended.

Puddles

Banned
So I might be getting a Verizon iphone 4 today (not waiting for the iphone 5 because I want to get in on the last day of unlimited data plans).

What are the benefits of jailbreaking?

okno

butter_stick said:

Didn't work, it would start and then loop the first step endlessly. Thanks, though. I'm just doing a full restore and then I'll try again later. It's funny... I've been trying to find other people having the same problem after using jailbreakme 3.0, and I seem to be the only one. It happened right after I installed biteSMS and hit "send" when sending a text. I'll see if that was the problem after I do a re-jailbreak and give an update.

hyp

Malleymal said:
Haven't read everything but can I jb or do I need to update to a certain version before it works?

i'd suggest updating your official firmware to the latest 4.3.3 before jb'in.

What Genesis/Mega Drive emulator would you guys recommend?

I want to be able to use a Wii Classic Controller, and I want to be able to hide the on screen controller display.

SNES9x EX is brilliant for SNES games (my only criticism is that you have to dig through several folders to get to the games; it's a shame it doesn't automatically go straight to the relevant folder), and I was hoping there were emulators for the Genesis of that kind of quality.

I don't mind paying if necessary.

outsida

Shotgun Kiss said:
Is it really that good? I'm considering buying it. Is it impossible to tell from normal iPad stuff?
It's a nice program I wouldn't say that it's a must have or anything. It's just that I hate using iPhone apps on my iPad 2 with the crappy 2x resolution. It bothers me so much... Retina pad makes the one quirk that I have with my toy pretty much non existent.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just got my iPad 2 jailbroken!

Bought Retina Display, any other must-haves? I have never done this before...

I like notifier, it's a simple addon but it puts little icons on the top bar for emails, missed calls, etc. Fake location is great if you need to ...fake your location, my3g is great to use 3g for wifi only apps, infinifolder to make your folders scrollable and pulltorefresh to add pull to refresh to the stock mail client.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also, to apply retinadisplay it says i need to kill the current app via the switcher bar, i don't see a kill button, how do I do this?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Also, to apply retinadisplay it says i need to kill the current app via the switcher bar, i don't see a kill button, how do I do this?

Hold down an icon until they start jiggling and then press the x that appears.

Kirby102 said:
Pretty sure you do that in the multitasking bar. lol

I assumed that was implied.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks, got everything running. I'm just not sure what to download now :p.

I don't want to buy too much as I'll probably upgrade when iOS5 is out, but everything seems to cost.

It's worth noting that all your purchases are saved to your account so that when a jailbreak comes out for iOS5 or any of the following versions you'll be able to re-download your purchased apps and add ons.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks, got everything running. I'm just not sure what to download now :p.

I don't want to buy too much as I'll probably upgrade when iOS5 is out, but everything seems to cost.

Anyone use Dreamboard on iPad? Looks cool.

Sethtimus Prime

Neo Member
NekoFever said:
I'd guess that the exploit is closed in iOS 5, otherwise they were stupid not to sit on it until that got released.

I think maybe that's why they were waiting to release it, but then someone leaked the JB.

Kirby102

Hey guys, since the iPad 2 got jailbroken recently, I was wondering if anyone had the balls to try out the PhoneIt Cydia app? ($20 though, which is why if anyone had the balls to make that commitment)

Basically it turns your 3G iPad into a legit working phone (with a legit SIM card obviously), it adds the Phone and SMS features onto it... but it says it only works for iPad 1, so just asking if anyone's done so for the iPad 2.

More info here: http://www.iphoneislam.com/phoneitipad/

Kirby102 said:
Hey guys, since the iPad 2 got jailbroken recently, I was wondering if anyone had the balls to try out the PhoneIt Cydia app? ($20 though, which is why if anyone had the balls to make that commitment)

Basically it turns your 3G iPad into a legit working phone (with a legit SIM card obviously), it adds the Phone and SMS features onto it... but it says it only works for iPad 1, so just asking if anyone's done so for the iPad 2.

More info here: http://www.iphoneislam.com/phoneitipad/

Seems like a great (not really) idea until your carrier busts you and charges you for it.

Blackhead

Redarse
LyleLanley said:
Seems like a great (not really) idea until your carrier busts you and charges you for it.
? it works with regular phone sim cards. What's the carrier going to bust and charge the user for?

Greyface said:
? it works with regular phone sim cards. What's the carrier going to bust and charge the user for?

Yeah, I misread that, I just assumed people were trying it with their iPad sims.

Edit:

On an unrelated note for all of you with iPhones, download SpringFlash, It lets you set an activator action to turn on the light. I've set it so pressing both volume buttons turns it on.

Milly79

Can anyone give me the steps on downgrading from the beta? I tried on my iPad 2 wifi, but it keeps giving me am error saying I can't. I googled some steps and they aren't working.

MickD

Milly79 said:
Can anyone give me the steps on downgrading from the beta? I tried on my iPad 2 wifi, but it keeps giving me am error saying I can't. I googled some steps and they aren't working.

I did it on my ipad2 wifi.

Make sure you have the beta 2!

That means new itunes and then you have to restore with 5.0.

Then --- Restore with 4.3.3. Then jailbreak away.

Simple.

pooptacular said:
I have a quick question about Ios in general.
Let's say I have Angry Birds installed on my Ipad 2. I have everything unlocked. I then delete the game.
I want to play all the levels I unlocked so I go to Itunes and install it again from the APP menu.
Now the game is reloaded but I have no data.

How can I keep the data on games if I delete them and want to play it later on?

I asked that on the Ipad 2 thread and was told this is possible if you have a jailbroken ios device.

So how do I do this? Thanks in advance.

pooptacular said:
I asked that on the Ipad 2 thread and was told this is possible if you have a jailbroken ios device.

So how do I do this? Thanks in advance.

PKGbackup lets you backup and restore application data.

dream

Pro: brand new iPhone 4 because my old one developed a sticky sleep/wake button 3 weeks before my 1 year warranty was up

Con: my unlocked baseband :(

Jailbreakme.com should do my new 4.3.3 phone, right?

knitoe

dream said:
Pro: brand new iPhone 4 because my old one developed a sticky sleep/wake button 3 weeks before my 1 year warranty was up

Con: my unlocked baseband :(

Jailbreakme.com should do my new 4.3.3 phone, right?
Yes. Afterward, download the PDF patch to close the exploit.

Jailbroke my iPad2, got retinapad, I'm not going back. This shit should be standard. That scaling shit on iPad is fucking worthless, dumb and ugly. Get on it Apple!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Angelus Errare said:
Jailbroke my iPad2, got retinapad, I'm not going back. This shit should be standard. That scaling shit on iPad is fucking worthless, dumb and ugly. Get on it Apple!
Noob here... what is that? They give you the iPhone 4 high res mode instead of the old 3G/iPod Touch resolution on iPad?

Top Bottom