• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

numble

^ Yes, that's what it does.

Is there any point in jailbreaking an Apple TV? I know there's XBMC, but is it that much different than just using on iPhone/iPad and using Airplay?

saunderez

numble said:
^ Yes, that's what it does.

Is there any point in jailbreaking an Apple TV? I know there's XBMC, but is it that much different than just using on iPhone/iPad and using Airplay?
XBMC plays a hell of a lot more formats that's for sure. I recommend checking out the possibilities with the PC version first though, it might be something you don't need. I couldn't live without it though, my 2 ATV2s with centralised MySQL library has made things much easier for me than using crappy Network Media Players.

numble

saunderez said:
XBMC plays a hell of a lot more formats that's for sure. I recommend checking out the possibilities with the PC version first though, it might be something you don't need. I couldn't live without it though, my 2 ATV2s with centralised MySQL library has made things much easier for me than using crappy Network Media Players.
What is your setup, if I may ask?

Heysoos

Hoping Gaf can help me here. After having some issues, battery draining a little faster and my apple account kept getting locked, I decided to do erase everything hoping to maybe fix the problems that way. I figured it would get rid of the jailbreak too, long story short, my ipod touch won't load now. It's just in an Apple screen with a circular loading bar. Am I screwed?

Heysoos said:
Hoping Gaf can help me here. After having some issues, battery draining a little faster and my apple account kept getting locked, I decided to do erase everything hoping to maybe fix the problems that way. I figured it would get rid of the jailbreak too, long story short, my ipod touch won't load now. It's just in an Apple screen with a circular loading bar. Am I screwed?

How did you jailbreak it? Sounds like an untethered jailbreak and you need your computer to boot it up. If that's not the case put it into DFU mode (google how to do this) and restore it.

Heysoos

LyleLanley said:
How did you jailbreak it? Sounds like an untethered jailbreak and you need your computer to boot it up. If that's not the case put it into DFU mode (google how to do this) and restore it.

I honestly forget, but I just got it into DFU mode. It only lets me Restore and Update though, will I be able to revert back to a previous firmware after to jailbreak?

Heysoos said:
I honestly forget, but I just got it into DFU mode. It only lets me Restore and Update though, will I be able to revert back to a previous firmware after to jailbreak?

I would just restore/update it and then jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com.

Heysoos said:
Thank you so much for all the help!

Don't worry about it, I remember when I first started jailbreaking my phone I'd mess things up and I'd get stuck on blank screens all the time which caused me to freak out thinking I had broken my phone.

besiktas1

I have a friends Iphone, I just jailbroke it using jailbreakme... Does it mean it is unlocked now. Basically he wants to use a different carriers sim (UK)

besiktas1 said:
I have a friends Iphone, I just jailbroke it using jailbreakme... Does it mean it is unlocked now. Basically he wants to use a different carriers sim (UK)
No, jailbreaking and ulocking are 2 different things. Once it's jailbroken then you can use ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock but that is only if the phone is still on one of the compatible basebands, which it probably isn't if it was updated to 4.3.3 normally

In settings look for the "modem firmware" and that will tell you the baseband the phone has, but Im not sure which ones are unlockable off the top of my head

Does anyone know if there is a fix for iBooks crashing on 4.3.3 like there was for 4.2.1? I jailbroke shortly after 4.3.3 came out but just now noticed my iBooks crashes everytime I try to open a DRM book

dallow_bg said:
Wait, you're on the beta and jailbroken?
EDIT: Oh, probably the older jailbreak.

Yep, and it's all working fine now.
I was freaking out for the first 5 minutes though when everything was coming up.

Does anyone know how to downgrade to iBooks 1.2.2? From what i have read that is the only way to be able to read drm protected books at the moment

saunderez said:

you on janky 10-9 release? and SQL server how they work for media?

Sarye

Mejilan said:
Wynd's Swype beta for iOS is really turning into something. It's now renamed iSwipe though. Just add his repo (http://wynd.x10.mx/), and it's a very easy install away!

it's promising. Right now the dictionary kinda sucks and the swype is very inaccurate but I do have high hopes for it.

Sarye said:
it's promising. Right now the dictionary kinda sucks and the swype is very inaccurate but I do have high hopes for it.

Agreed, I tried it out on my phone for a little while, it has a ton of potential but it's not quite there yet for me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well it is still in beta!
You should have tried the 0.1.0 version. Yikes!
I'm just happy that someone is finally making it happen!

asdad123

Is there a native PSX emulator for the Ipad 2? (Sort of like the SNES emulator.) I don't want to buy PSX4All to only to find out that it doesnt run in ipad resolution.

Thanks

bathala

Banned
Milly79 said:
Does RetinaPad even work? I tried it and nothing would resize. All the apps would just close.
u mean for u. doesn't seem like it.

FYI: its not resizing the app its making. crisp and sharp. and its good

KAL2006

Banned
Just got a iPhone 3GS 32GB and loving it, I was wondering what is the best videoplayer for iPhone, I want a video player that plays anything (no need to convert videos).

Also I heard you can get flash support on jailbeak, how do you do this.

You can put XBMC on iPhone from the source http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/

however it hasnt really been optimized for the iPhone screen, its pretty much just like running the desktop version on your iPhone

There was also VLC in the official app store at one point but im not sure if its still there or not

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware

Old Lace

How does one go about making their own ringtones for the iPhone? I'm asking for a friend of mine. She recently purchased some ringtones and that just rubs me the wrong way. Is there an easy to use (and free) PC program that she could use?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this kind of question.

rc213

Old Lace said:
How does one go about making their own ringtones for the iPhone? I'm asking for a friend of mine. She recently purchased some ringtones and that just rubs me the wrong way. Is there an easy to use (and free) PC program that she could use?

I just use some freeware app called mp3DirectCut to cut out the section I want. Then I add the mp3 to iTunes and encode it to m4a, Then just rename the file to m4r and add back to iTunes. Although I am sure someone will chime in with something much simpler.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Old Lace said:

Not sure if this is what you're after, but there's an app called Ringtone Designer which lets you trim songs from your iPhone into ringtones. It has a video to show you how to get them off your phone and back into iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ringtone-designer-create-unlimited/id382373458?mt=8

Ignignort

Old Lace said:

This is your answer, http://audiko.net/

Upload the song you want, trim it down and then download the ringtone

besiktas1

Slanted lock doens't show my backround image, it's really annoying. I just have pretty text, on a black background.

Failing that, how else can I change the look on my look screen so it looks as cool...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
finally jailbroke my ipad2 and iphone4... pretty cool stuff going on here.

having a hell of a time setting permissions to 755, though

bathala

Banned
Milly79 said:
Does RetinaPad even work? I tried it and nothing would resize. All the apps would just close.
Update:

this a happened to me too. If u have Winderboard turn it off unless u have version 1.1 of retinapad

I jailbroke my iPad for the first time a few weeks ago, and now I'm being prompted to update to 4.3.4. What do I do? Just hold off on updating until Cydia is up to date (I'm not too inclined towards the other methods)?

When I do eventually have to update, do I need to restore my iPad to get rid of jailbreak first, or can I just update, and that will automatically delete jailbreak with no ill consequences?

besiktas1

mr_bump.jpg

please, anyone?

besiktas1 said:
I've got sb settings installed, how do I get the battery percentage to show up on my iTouch 4G??
I don't have SBSettings installed ATM, but IIRC you bring it down, select "More" and it's in one of the options in that menu.

besiktas1

butter_stick said:
I don't have SBSettings installed ATM, but IIRC you bring it down, select "More" and it's in one of the options in that menu.
You're awesome. It works. On a side note is there a downside to using this hack?

Top Bottom