• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

bionic77

Very n00b question, but what is the simplest and easiest way to unlock a iPhone4 that is up to date with respect to firmware.

Not interested in any of the other features of jailbreaking. Just want to unlock phone for a trip abroad and use another carrier's sim.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, got a problem I'm hoping a seasoned jailbreaker can help me with.

Have had an original Ipad since launch, absolutely stable as a rock with all F/w's since it was released, decided I wanted to jump into the jailbreaking fun, specifically for DisplayOut to make better use of my HDMI out.

I successfully Jailbreaked it with Redsn0w (0.9.8b4), works OK, but it is absolutely unstable, even without any extra 3rd party apps installed the TV Out feature is broken, to the point where if trying to use it I lose ANY video output on the Ipad (Black screen and sound only), even if I don't use the TV Out it hangs at random after anything from 15mins use to an Hour and the number of times I've needed to do a tethered boot just to do anything is downright ridiculous and therefore unusable.

Is this normal for a jailbroken device?

Hey guys. What should I use to jailbreak my 4.1 iPod Touch? I've jailbroken before using blackra1n, but obviously that was quite a while ago.

Blackhead

Redarse
So... what was the best new thing from TweakWeek?

Piercedveil said:
Hey guys. What should I use to jailbreak my 4.1 iPod Touch? I've jailbroken before using blackra1n, but obviously that was quite a while ago.
Start here: http://iclarified.com/jailbreak/index.php
bionic77 said:
Very n00b question, but what is the simplest and easiest way to unlock a iPhone4 that is up to date with respect to firmware.

Not interested in any of the other features of jailbreaking. Just want to unlock phone for a trip abroad and use another carrier's sim.
Start here: http://iclarified.com/unlock/index.php

Osiris said:
Ok, got a problem I'm hoping a seasoned jailbreaker can help me with.

Have had an original Ipad since launch, absolutely stable as a rock with all F/w's since it was released, decided I wanted to jump into the jailbreaking fun, specifically for DisplayOut to make better use of my HDMI out.

I successfully Jailbreaked it with Redsn0w (0.9.8b4), works OK, but it is absolutely unstable, even without any extra 3rd party apps installed the TV Out feature is broken, to the point where if trying to use it I lose ANY video output on the Ipad (Black screen and sound only), even if I don't use the TV Out it hangs at random after anything from 15mins use to an Hour and the number of times I've needed to do a tethered boot just to do anything is downright ridiculous and therefore unusable.

Is this normal for a jailbroken device?
I have no personal experience with tethered booting an iPad 1 on iOS 4.3.5. but that doesn't sound normal...

Gaaraz

Taking my iPhone back to Apple tomorrow, and as much as I'm really hoping for a new one, I need to update and restore my iPhone (currently on 4.1.2) I was wondering if it's possible to just go to 4.3.1 (for example) and not all the way to 4.3.5 when I do the full restore?

Dammit!! It looks like I got to wait for a while before I can jailbreak my phone.

I stupidly updated to 4.3.5, didn't know a damn thing about SHSH blobs until yesterday, and don't want to deal with the hassles that appear to come with the tethered jailbreak/unlock.

Need help. I have had my iPhone jailbroken for a year and half with no issues. Today I was using Netflix on the iPhone while at work and the iPhone turned off and went to the Apple logo. It had a battery of 73% so that wasn't the reason. Whenever I try to turn it off and on I just get the Apple logo. I can't access DFU mode since I am at work. Anybody experience their iPhone just all of a sudden having this happen?

LovingSteam said:
Need help. I have had my iPhone jailbroken for a year and half with no issues. Today I was using Netflix on the iPhone while at work and the iPhone turned off and went to the Apple logo. It had a battery of 73% so that wasn't the reason. Whenever I try to turn it off and on I just get the Apple logo. I can't access DFU mode since I am at work. Anybody experience their iPhone just all of a sudden having this happen?

That happens to me every now and then, you may need to just wait a fairly long time, as in 20+ minutes, or if it was a tethered jailbreak which I really doubt you'll have to plug it into your computer and use one of the jailbreak applications to turn it back on. If none of those work you may need to restore it.

Enzom21

Gaaraz said:
Taking my iPhone back to Apple tomorrow, and as much as I'm really hoping for a new one, I need to update and restore my iPhone (currently on 4.1.2) I was wondering if it's possible to just go to 4.3.1 (for example) and not all the way to 4.3.5 when I do the full restore?
Yes, download 4.3.1 here http://www.redmondpie.com/download-...2-ipad-ipod-touch-final-version-direct-links/ and hold shift(option for Mac) and click restore in iTunes and point it to the firmware you downloaded. You have to make sure your blobs are saved for 4.3.1 because apple is no longer signing that firmware.

Enzom21

raiot

So I have this very annoying error with my Iphone 4 with jailbroken 4.3.1 firmware. All my new games won't let me log into my original gamecenter account, but instead try to log me into a sandbox account. I tried 4-5 different guides on the internet and most of them tell me this is a problem with appsync and installous.
But i never installed these 2 apps on my Iphone. I checked under the installed cydia apps and those 2 where not there.
One guide advised me to just install an appsync version even if i didnt have it before but this also didn't fix my problem.
The only "fishy" thing i've ever done to my Iphone besides a reskin is, that i copied my Deathsmiles savegame from my Ipad2 to my Iphone. And after that, this whole mess started...

Edit: Ok, found a solution, but not a very good one...
I deleted all new Apps since i messed with my deathsmiles savegame including deathsmiles. Logged into my original GC account and downloaded those apps again. Now it's working but my deathsmiles save on the iphone is lost.
Maybe tomorrow i will try to copy it over again...

Caoz

Quick question.

I just bought a used iphone 3g on cowboom. I am planning on giving it to my sister who is on At&T but does not have a data plan. Can she just move her sim to the iphone and start using the iPhone instead of the Samsung she currently has ? Are there any additional charges that we need to watch for ?

Phone is not unlocked or jailbreaked.

Thanks,

Ecto311

Caoz said:
Quick question.

I just bought a used iphone 3g on cowboom. I am planning on giving it to my sister who is on At&T but does not have a data plan. Can she just move her sim to the iphone and start using the iPhone instead of the Samsung she currently has ? Are there any additional charges that we need to watch for ?

Thanks,

When she puts the sim card in she will have to call to get iphone data added to the phone and probably power cycle the phone to get it all working.

If I buy a 3GS off a friend and I hard reset it so its back to factory settings what's my easiest and most painless way to unlock it for a diffrent network, I don't much care for the rest of the stuff that jailbreaking allows.

The only similar experience of this kind of thing is putting Cyogen on my Tmobile G1 awhile back and to a lesser extent custom firmware on the psp

rc213

Caoz said:
Quick question.

Thanks,

Just popping in the sim should work just fine, Just turn off Data in the settings and she should be fine. Of course if she ever has trouble she shouldn't call or tell AT&T she has switched to an iPhone.

Johnlenham said:
If I buy a 3GS off a friend and I hard reset it so its back to factory settings what's my easiest and most painless way to unlock it for a diffrent network, I don't much care for the rest of the stuff that jailbreaking allows.

The only similar experience of this kind of thing is putting Cyogen on my Tmobile G1 awhile back and to a lesser extent custom firmware on the psp

Will depend on the Firmware and Baseband. If it's updated to the latest then you will probably have to figure out how to jailbreak it and unlock it. If it's on the latest baseband then you will need to wait for it to be unlocked or flash the ipad baseband. Once you flash the ipad baseband there is no way to reverse it yet.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i am really late to the game, and just unlocked my iTouch Gen 2. What are some cool things I can do with it???

What are the most popular and useful/cool things that people do with unlocked iPods?

Ok, thinking about Jailbreaking my 3Gs from 4.3.5.

Just have one doubt, will I loose anything in the process? Specially all my text messages, I have some older than 1 year and wouldn't want to loose any :|

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have had my iPad 2 jailbroken for a few months now and really haven't done anything with it aside from retina-pad. Is there anything good to do? I feel as if it is pointless to have it jailbroken right now...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Deadly Cyclone said:
Have had my iPad 2 jailbroken for a few months now and really haven't done anything with it aside from retina-pad. Is there anything good to do? I feel as if it is pointless to have it jailbroken right now...
RetinaPad was the only thing I used.
Made it worthwhile for me. I'd rather have iMessage though.

goober

Hi, just need some confirmation. I'm using my sister's old iphone 3gs as an ipod touch, and recently updated to I believe the latest iOS 4.2.1.

cydia is gone, etc after the update. I guess that means I'm not jailbroken? So I searched and I was wondering if I just follow these instructions.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...-untethered-with-pwnagetool-unlock-ultrasn0w/

thanks!

edit: i was lied to, it's a 3g -____-

double edit: i'm only going to be using it as an ipod touch (i need an app for a class), fyi. so is this necessary?

Madrical

Banned
Is JailbreakMe ever going to update to support past 4.0.1 or whatever? I've been wanting to jailbreak for ages but I have the latest firmware on my iPhone 3GS so I can't. :\

Madrical said:
Is JailbreakMe ever going to update to support past 4.0.1 or whatever? I've been wanting to jailbreak for ages but I have the latest firmware on my iPhone 3GS so I can't. :\

Don't hold your breath for an update to JailbreakMe. Just use one of the more traditional ways of jailbreaking your phone.

numble

Madrical said:
The jailbreakme guy got an internship at Apple. He's probably not going to update it.

I'm thinking about jailbreaking my ipad 1 (4.3.5). Before I start tinkering, I need to confirm that I can get functional flash on it, which is my only reason for doing it.

I bought it last year for school lectures and surprise, they are all flash and so the ipad has largely been useless to me.

Could someone chime in?

Thanks

magicstop

Madrical said:

Jailbreakme is good up to 4.3.3

I've jailbroken both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 with it.

Blackhead

Redarse
fastford58 said:
I'm thinking about jailbreaking my ipad 1 (4.3.5). Before I start tinkering, I need to confirm that I can get functional flash on it, which is my only reason for doing it.

I bought it last year for school lectures and surprise, they are all flash and so the ipad has largely been useless to me.

Could someone chime in?

Thanks
Nope. The efforts to port flash petered out and what's available is barely functional.

Try iSwifter from the AppStore.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just a quick update about my ipad (Original) jailbreaking attempts from 4.3.5 with redsn0w.

On the stock f/w my ipad is fine, however if I jailbreak with redsn0w from 4.3.5 there is a definite memory leak that causes crashes/instability, any quick, heavy use causes all sorts of crashes in apps after a few hours, and the same occurs with light use however just takes longer to become unstable, requiring a tethered reboot. I've gone from stock to jailbroken multiple times and the same symptoms occur everytime even without any tweaks or other software from Cydia installed.

For my use I prefer to not have to go through the hassle of doing a tethered reboot via DFU everyday, so unless this changes in future jailbreaks I'm going to stick with stock.

A shame as DisplayOut was enough alone for me to jailbreak, but just not at the cost of the unstability. :(

mooooose

Is there any extension to link Skype calls to the Phone app? I have an iPhone with no contract/plan but I have a Skype number and credit and if it could just go through the Phone app that'd be awesome.

rc213

fastford58 said:

Could someone chime in?

Thanks

I've used the iPhone version of Skyfire on the iPad and it worked great for streaming NBA and Soccer games. Are the websites you need to view the lectures on readily available? I could try and see how well it works for you before you drop money on it.

Madrical

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Don't hold your breath for an update to JailbreakMe. Just use one of the more traditional ways of jailbreaking your phone.
I didn't even realise there was more than one way. Guess I need to do some more research :)

Seth C

I'm currently running an iPhone with version 4.1 and baseband 02.10.04. I'm about to go overseas and therefor would like to unlock my phone. However, my baseband isn't unlockable. Is there a version I can update to that will let me unlock and jailbreak my phone?

Seth C

Okay. Another question. I downloaded TinyUmbrella to see if perhaps I had SHSH blobs saved from when I jailbroke previously. apparently is found 4, but for iOD version 4.3.5, 5.0b1, b2, and b3. the things is, I've never upgraded this phone past 4.1 and it currently is running 4.1. Sooo how does that make any sense?

rc213

Seth C said:
Okay. Another question. I downloaded TinyUmbrella to see if perhaps I had SHSH blobs saved from when I jailbroke previously. apparently is found 4, but for iOD version 4.3.5, 5.0b1, b2, and b3. the things is, I've never upgraded this phone past 4.1 and it currently is running 4.1. Sooo how does that make any sense?
Those are all the firmwares apple is still signing so it's what it got when it requested from apple servers. Also Cydia checksmfor the latest when you install it.

Seth C

rc213 said:
Those are all the firmwares apple is still signing so it's what it got when it requested from apple servers. Also Cydia checksmfor the latest when you install it.

Ah, gotcha. I remembered this phone was actually a replacement from Apple, so I'm out of luck. It's always had 4.1 on it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, I just did a very basic jailbreak on my 4th Gen iPod Touch using Redsnow_win_0.9.83b. My iPod was running iTunes 4.3.4 and everything on my Touch and in iTunes looks and acts exactly the same except now I have the Cydia app on my springboard.

Now, I don't have wifi at home so I can't directly take my iPod Touch online to try any of this shit out. However, I've grabbed an app on my PC that I'd like to try installing manually to my iPod. I have iPhone Explorer, and the app I want to try is a .deb file, but I'm not sure exactly about how to take this file from my PC and put it on my iPod using Explorer so that it will work.

I'm almost sure there must be some way to manually transfer an app from a PC to an iDevice, I'm just having a bear of a time trying to get the correct information and would truly appreciate the help of you seasoned jailbreak warriors.

Also, I was really scared that Jailbreaking was gonna make my iPod look like some kinda messed up Linux OS with dozens of layers of text menus and such, but it looks and acts exactly the same as normal except I now have Cydia on there. Is that normal? I don't care to do all kinds of crazy shit, basically I just wanna run free classic console emus to replay games I've owned from childhood.

When Redsnow asked me what I wanted to install the only thing I chose to install was Cydia. Did I make a mistake if I want to actually play Earthbound again, except in the bathroom?

Enzom21

Horseticuffs said:
Hey guys, I just did a very basic jailbreak on my 4th Gen iPod Touch using Redsnow_win_0.9.83b. My iPod was running iTunes 4.3.4 and everything on my Touch and in iTunes looks and acts exactly the same except now I have the Cydia app on my springboard.

Now, I don't have wifi at home so I can't directly take my iPod Touch online to try any of this shit out. However, I've grabbed an app on my PC that I'd like to try installing manually to my iPod. I have iPhone Explorer, and the app I want to try is a .deb file, but I'm not sure exactly about how to take this file from my PC and put it on my iPod using Explorer so that it will work.

I'm almost sure there must be some way to manually transfer an app from a PC to an iDevice, I'm just having a bear of a time trying to get the correct information and would truly appreciate the help of you seasoned jailbreak warriors.

Also, I was really scared that Jailbreaking was gonna make my iPod look like some kinda messed up Linux OS with dozens of layers of text menus and such, but it looks and acts exactly the same as normal except I now have Cydia on there. Is that normal? I don't care to do all kinds of crazy shit, basically I just wanna run free classic console emus to replay games I've owned from childhood.

When Redsnow asked me what I wanted to install the only thing I chose to install was Cydia. Did I make a mistake if I want to actually play Earthbound again, except in the bathroom?
You can manually install .deb files using iphone-explorer. You place the file in /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/ and reboot the iPod.

Top Bottom