• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
enzom21 said:
You can manually install .deb files using iphone-explorer. You place the file in /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/ and reboot the iPod.

Ah, thank you very much for the sage advice! Got the .deb file up and running just fine. Now to just see how to install a rom file into it.

Thanks again :)

Hey guys, I've been having a problem with an iPod Touch (4th gen) on iOS 4.3.1 jailbroken. When trying to sync apps from my Windows PC to my iPod Touch, some of the apps return an error saying "X was not installed on the iPod "(iPod name)" because its resources have been modified". They haven't been tinkered with in any way and they're legitimately purchased apps. I can't see why they are doing this - even after a restore!

Anybody know anything that might help? Help is greatly appreciated :)

Epix

I tried to add the repository "http://wynd.x10.mx" to Cydia to get Swype but it wont load. Is the repository dead?

I'm sure this has been answered just about a billion times, but it's late, I haven't messed with this shit in forever, and I'm tired of searching for it. So some help would be awesome. Is there any way to unlock an iphone 4 with baseband 4.10.01? I have a 3GS that I put the ipad baseband on, will that work on the 4 (or is there a better way?). If so, does anyone have a link, 'cause I haven't done it in forever so I don't remember how. Or is my friend just fucked?

The firmware is 4.3.5 if that matters. I'm aware I'll have to do a tethered jailbreak (at least as far as I can tell). Thanks again for answering shit that I'm sure has been covered a billion times.

EDIT: So I believe I have found my answer, which is that my friend is fucked by having firmware 4.3.5 and baseband 4.10.01 on an iphone 4. Is it still possible to put the ipad baseband on the newest baseband on a 3GS?

rc213

ClovingSteam said:
Hey folks, I am currently on firmware 4.1 and a few apps I want are on 4.2. What do I have to do to update to 4.2 and not lose my jailbroken apps.

orangecaramel said:
What's the best FW/JB for a 3gs?

Unless you have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2 (Any Firmware) you're out of luck and will have to go with 4.3.5 and an untethered jailbreak depending on your device. You will always need to reinstall your jailbreak apps after any update to the firmware.

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
I'm sure this has been answered just about a billion times, but it's late, I haven't messed with this shit in forever, and I'm tired of searching for it. So some help would be awesome. Is there any way to unlock an iphone 4 with baseband 4.10.01? I have a 3GS that I put the ipad baseband on, will that work on the 4 (or is there a better way?). If so, does anyone have a link, 'cause I haven't done it in forever so I don't remember how. Or is my friend just fucked?

The firmware is 4.3.5 if that matters. I'm aware I'll have to do a tethered jailbreak (at least as far as I can tell). Thanks again for answering shit that I'm sure has been covered a billion times.

EDIT: So I believe I have found my answer, which is that my friend is fucked by having firmware 4.3.5 and baseband 4.10.01 on an iphone 4. Is it still possible to put the ipad baseband on the newest baseband on a 3GS?

I believe the iPad baseband is still an option on the latest 3GS but you should double check. I haven't been keeping close tabs since I moved over to Android.

http://modmyi.com/ has excellent forums to snoop around in and ask if needed.

rc213 said:
Unless you have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2 (Any Firmware) you're out of luck and will have to go with 4.3.5 and an untethered jailbreak depending on your device. You will always need to reinstall your jailbreak apps after any update to the firmware.

I believe the iPad baseband is still an option on the latest 3GS but you should double check. I haven't been keeping close tabs since I moved over to Android.

http://modmyi.com/ has excellent forums to snoop around in and ask if needed.

I saved my SHSH blob to Cydia when I updated to 4.0. What do I need to do now? Also I have a 3GS.

Horseticuffs

Hey guys, I've really been loving having my iPod jailbroken. MXtube is simply amazing and that, alone, is reason enough in my opinion.

It seems like the possibilities are endless and only limited by my knowledge, sadly. I have to ask, my biggest beef with iOS games is when they refuse to allow you to play your own music even when you turn the game's music and sound off entirely (I'm looking at you, Pocket RPG!). Are there perhaps any tweaks or apps out there for JB'd iDevices that allow you to force iPod functionality (I believe that is the proper term) in games? It seems like a real long-shot, but I figure that there are enough people out there annoyed by this that someone might have found a solution.

Blackhead

Redarse
Horseticuffs said:
Afraid so. It's a long story involving holiday hijinks.
let's hear it.
Horseticuffs said:
Hey guys, I've really been loving having my iPod jailbroken. MXtube is simply amazing and that, alone, is reason enough in my opinion.

It seems like the possibilities are endless and only limited by my knowledge, sadly. I have to ask, my biggest beef with iOS games is when they refuse to allow you to play your own music even when you turn the game's music and sound off entirely (I'm looking at you, Pocket RPG!). Are there perhaps any tweaks or apps out there for JB'd iDevices that allow you to force iPod functionality (I believe that is the proper term) in games? It seems like a real long-shot, but I figure that there are enough people out there annoyed by this that someone might have found a solution.
Install Activator, assign a gesture (I tried 'Up Short Hold') to the 'iPod Play/Pause' toggle. Use the assigned gesture when in the app to play music.

Horseticuffs

Greyface said:
let's hear it.

Install Activator, assign a gesture (I tried 'Up Short Hold') to the 'iPod Play/Pause' toggle. Use the assigned gesture when in the app to play music.

Well, not so much long as stupid, I guess. I've been a long-time account holder on another forum (Coming up on 10 years in October) and the moderators were holding a surprise thread one day a few years back where if you posted in said thread, you got a new account name.

Seeing as how normally you have to pay actual money to change your account name on this forum, and seeing as how it was around Christmas and I friggin' LOVE the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas time I just sort of assumed "Hey, cool. A holiday thread! Why, I bet I'll get some sort of neat holiday themed account name! This is a great idea that could never backfire!".

Well, later that day I checked and I ended up with whatever the hell "Horseticuffs" is. Is it the art of equine martial arts? Is it getting drunk and assaulting a horse? The world may never know.

What I DO know now, however, is what I was doing wrong with activator at first. See, I thought JUST Activator would work. Now I see that you need to grab SBSettings from Cydia to tell Activator what you want to modify.

Now, dear ladies and gents, I can use the power of jailbreaking to force these puny mobile games to bend themselves to my iron will, and start and stop audio just by double-tapping my lock screen :O I can't believe the devices are capable of this shit and Apple just won't make it a basic action. It makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the sage wisdom, it really is incredible how much better Jailbreaking can make an already incredible piece of kit.

rc213

ClovingSteam said:
I saved my SHSH blob to Cydia when I updated to 4.0. What do I need to do now? Also I have a 3GS.

Do you need to preserve your Baseband for unlocking? Which Firmwares do you have SHSH blobs for?

Natetan

noob question: is it possible to have apps from more than one computer on your iphone? I have two accounts, and it only let's me sync it: i can't drag and drop it into my iphone :(

Jailbreak noob here. I've only jb'd twice since I've had my 3Gs (got it a few days after it was released). Anyway, I've been using 4.1 since the first JB came out for that version (snowbreeze I think), and now I want to update my firmware to 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 because I've run into stability issues. Many apps crash when I try to open them (even apps like the clock and messages; only goes away for a couple days after phone reboot).

I'm just wondering what steps I need to take. I have a Mac and a PC so I can use whatever tool I need to do it.

If you need to know, at the top of Cydia it says "SHSH: iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3.5"

(I would like to get this done tonight during a football game I'm going to watch. I'm to be doing homework or working from home while I'm not watching the game).

Thanks for any help GAF!

I have an iPhone 3G I want to unlock but it is on firmware 4.2 and baseband 05.15.04. I'm reading that you need to update to iPad baseband but its risky. Losing GPS and Push notifications and never being able to go back to official firmware (not that big a deal).

Any tips on how to go about doing this? Why does GPS/Push etc, work for some and not others?

Does cell reception or signal diminish by using the iPad baseband? I'm confused by all of this really.

I don't want to fuck something up and be left with an iPod touch.

criesofthepast said:
I have an iPhone 3G I want to unlock but it is on firmware 4.2 and baseband 05.15.04. I'm reading that you need to update to iPad baseband but its risky. Losing GPS and Push notifications and never being able to go back to official firmware (not that big a deal).

Any tips on how to go about doing this? Why does GPS/Push etc, work for some and not others?

Does cell reception or signal diminish by using the iPad baseband? I'm confused by all of this really.

I don't want to fuck something up and be left with an iPod touch.

If I were you I'd just wait. With the iPhone 4S about to come out they are going to have to release a new unlock anyway, so chances are it wont be long before all current basebands are unlockable without doing anything risky. It didn't take that long after the iPhone 4 came out before a new unlock was available.

SuicideUZI said:
If I were you I'd just wait. With the iPhone 4S about to come out they are going to have to release a new unlock anyway, so chances are it wont be long before all current basebands are unlockable without doing anything risky. It didn't take that long after the iPhone 4 came out before a new unlock was available.
How soon after release did the iPhone 4 get unlocked? So your saying that once the 4S gets unlocked, my 3G can be unlocked through simpler means?

Hmm. Guess I'll wait a bit.

I have a 3rd gen ipod touch
I jailbroke it with greenpoison
I can't remember what version software is on the ipod
I had to install a new hard drive on my laptop
I installed itunes
When I connect the ipod it says the driver is unsigned and isn't supported, when I try to work around this the computer only detects the ipod as having photos on it, itunes recognizes nothing

What do I do?

cvxfreak

SuicideUZI said:

Is there more information regarding this? I've been waiting for a new unlock for the iPhone 4 for ages on the post-01.59.00 baseband. I'm moving onto a 4S (on a CDMA carrier in Japan), but to have a backup GSM iPhone 4 that can be unlocked would also be very helpful.

Gaaraz

Does the tethered iOS 5 jailbreak work with the release version?

God damn I want iOS 5 now, but can't do without BiteSMS/SBSettings :(

I have Cydia, Snes9x EX, and Terminal on my iPad 2. I jailbroke it because I loved the idea of playing SNES games on it. Though I rarely do so, and I'd rather have iOS 5.

How should I go about upgrading? Do I delete these first, or if I upgrade, will it delete them automatically? Any risks involved? Also, what is the best way of deleting them? I can't delete them like normal apps.

Also, I may want to jailbreak my iPad 2 again in the future to play SNES games again. In that case, does it make any difference in keeping my current jailbreak apps, or not?

Sorry if I seem ignorant/naive, but I totally am when it comes to this stuff.

dream

dreams-vision, what was that you were saying about not needing to restore in order to upgrade from the semi-tethered iOS 5 jailbreak to the upcoming untethered one?

Hey guys quick question.

I just jailbroke my iPhone using Snowbreeze for iOS 5.

If I were to install stuff on Cydia that required a reset, would I lose my jailbreak?

(never did a tethered jailbreak before)

Thanks in advance!

enzo_gt said:
Do we have an ETA on the untethered?
apparently it already exists, so one would think it won't be terribly long.

tethered is behaving perfectly for me. biteSMS doesn't work yet. nor does LockInfo. I assume both will be updated in short order.

VisitableElf said:
Hey guys quick question.

I just jailbroke my iPhone using Snowbreeze for iOS 5.

If I were to install stuff on Cydia that required a reset, would I lose my jailbreak?

(never did a tethered jailbreak before)

Thanks in advance!
if you need to restart the phone, use the iBooty app that came with Snowbreeze to boot the phone properly.

But there are very few apps that require a reboot anymore. I think Mobile Substrate will require it (SBSettings prerequisite), so you'll need to do it at least once. Maybe twice. FYI.

Dreams-Visions said:
apparently it already exists, so one would think it won't be terribly long.

tethered is behaving perfectly for me. biteSMS doesn't work yet. nor does LockInfo. I assume both will be updated in short order.

yep. i think they're waiting for the 4S to test it on, among other things. musclenerd posted today that he is incorporating pwnage tool features into redsn0w, which is nice!

dream

DREAMS-VISION!

dream said:
dreams-vision, what was that you were saying about not needing to restore in order to upgrade from the semi-tethered iOS 5 jailbreak to the upcoming untethered one?

did I imagine that? or did you really say you'll be able to rejailbreak instead of restoring when the untethered jailbreak is released?

dream said:
DREAMS-VISION!

did I imagine that? or did you really say you'll be able to rejailbreak instead of restoring when the untethered jailbreak is released?
Yes.

My understanding is that the untethered jailbreak will simply require you to run the jailbreak, rather than restore the OS or anything like that.

Anyway, the countdown to Siri on iPhone 4 and 3GS begins...

dream

Do you have a link for that? If it's true I'm so there.

Oh yeah, if you get bored, can you boot into your unjailbroken thing and see if Mobile Safari works?

So realistically will 05.15.04 baseband on 3G ever be unlocked? I know I was told earlier to wait to see what happens with the 4S but I'm weighing my options and once I get my 4S on friday I was planning on giving my 3G to my mother.

I can risk it and use the ipad baseband to unlock but how long if ever will I have to wait to unlock this 3G through other means? Anyone?

LegoDad

criesofthepast said:
So realistically will 05.15.04 baseband on 3G ever be unlocked? I know I was told earlier to wait to see what happens with the 4S but I'm weighing my options and once I get my 4S on friday I was planning on giving my 3G to my mother.

I can risk it and use the ipad baseband to unlock but how long if ever will I have to wait to unlock this 3G through other means? Anyone?

I read earlier that the baseband is written in plain text in the .ipsw file for the 4S, so they think it might be easier to unlock...

caliblue15 said:
I read earlier that the baseband isn written in plain text in the .ipsw file for the 4S, so they think it might be easier to unlock...
I don't know what this means but I'm guessing it's something to be hopeful about? lol

LegoDad

criesofthepast said:
I don't know what this means but I'm guessing it's something to be hopeful about? lol

Means they don't have to decrypt and fine it. According to MuscleNerd, this is a very good sign. Also there aren't any more shsh blobs in IOS 5.

I'm sorry, I need a quick clarification.

I have a 3GS running 4.3.3 and the BB is 05.13.04. I've always used PwnageTool in the past. It has to be unlocked. Can I join the 5.0 party yet or do I have to wait for the new RedSn0w?

freshair

Duane Cunningham said:
I'm sorry, I need a quick clarification.

I have a 3GS running 4.3.3 and the BB is 05.13.04. I've always used PwnageTool in the past. It has to be unlocked. Can I join the 5.0 party yet or do I have to wait for the new RedSn0w?

new redsn0w was just released today that preserves the baseband

ultrasn0w will be released tomorrow (so they say) that allows unlocking on ios5

freshair

I'm in the same boat man (3GS w/ T-mobile).

I can't wait for the tethered unlock so I'm going to just update with redsn0w and dealwithit.gif.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
As someone just joining in, can somebody give me the sparknotes version of the state of the jailbreak for iOS5?

Top Bottom