• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
zychi said:
soon.
theres tethered now.
Does anyone have a definition for soon? Or a guess?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wait, is the iPad 2 supported for even a tethered jailbreak?

Blackhead

Redarse
Dacvak said:
Wait, is the iPad 2 supported for even a tethered jailbreak?
Nope. And the iPad 2 3G version is worse off as the SHSH blurbs couldn't be saved. Needless to say, I'm holding off updating my iPad 2 to iOS5 (especially as Comic Reader Mobi 3 has finally been released)

freshair said:
Lemme know how it goes for you. I'm at work so won't be able to do it until later tonight. ;__;

I've got it, and it worked perfect! And the Redsn0w jailbreak for us (3GS with 5.13.04 or lower BB) is untethered.

It IS a little weird if you're used to Pwnage, because it doesn't actually do the jailbreak as part of creating the custom ipsw. You

1. Use Redsn0w to create the custom ipsw
2. Use iTunes to install it
3. Fire up Redsn0w again to jailbreak
4. open Cydia and run Ultrasn0w

whereas prior to now, 3 was just part of step one. But yeah, I'm all done and everything seems great. I haven't really dug in because it's taking forever to re-sync all my apps, photos, music, etc.

Duane Cunningham said:
I've got it, and it worked perfect! And the Redsn0w jailbreak for us is untethered. It's a little weird if you're used to Pwnage, because it doesn't actually do the jailbreak as part of creating the custom ipsw. You

whereas prior to now, 3 was just part of step one. But yeah, I'm all done and everything seems great. I haven't really dug in because it's taking forever to re-sync all my apps, photos, music, etc.

Wait, what? Is it only the 3gs jailbreak that is untethered or the 4 as well?

LyleLanley said:
Wait, what? Is it only the 3gs jailbreak that is untethered or the 4 as well?

Sorry, I've edited to clarify: (3GS with 5.13.04 or lower BB). Freshair mentioned being on the same setup as me earlier, so that's where the "us" comes from.

w00t

Siri-Install-iPhone-4.png

KingDizzi

Banned
My dads not too much of a tech guy but his old phone is giving up on him. He's on t mobile so just wanted to ask that if my sisters iPhone 3GS that's on O2 network was jailbroken, could he stick his t mobile sim card in it and use it?

Thanks

So I've decided to jailbreak iOS5. Does anyone have a list of jailbreak programs that work well with iOS5? Looking for stuff in the notification center and preferably some notification icons in the status bar.

freshair

Duane Cunningham said:
I've got it, and it worked perfect! And the Redsn0w jailbreak for us (3GS with 5.13.04 or lower BB) is untethered.

It IS a little weird if you're used to Pwnage, because it doesn't actually do the jailbreak as part of creating the custom ipsw. You

Thanks!

Finally got everything to work. Turns out we have the same specs, except for one minor difference. My 3GS has the new bootrom, so I'm stuck with tethered. :(

Also I was a bit lazy and didn't update iTunes so it wouldn't accept the custom ipsw. Then because I had run tinyumbrella a while back, it edited my host file and wouldn't let Apple's server authenticate the device.

THEN my device crashed while restoring and I got stuck in a recovery loop. Luckily this wasn't the first time it has happend or else I'd have freaked out, lol.

All in all finally got everything to work and I'm letting all my apps sync while I go to bed now. >__>

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So, pardon an old fool for a potentially dumb question and lay it out in decidedly layman's terms, does that tweet mean we could potentially see Siri on older devices? I'm fairly new to the whole iDevice rigamarole, but Apple made it seem like you couldn't even DREAM of running it on anything less than the 4s.

Not updating until an untethered break comes out. But, just so I'm prepared, what do I do if I have a 3GS with the ipad baseband unlock? Do I just update and jailbreak and I'm good to go? Or will I still have to do something to keep it unlocked? Thanks. I'm a newb.

freshair

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Not updating until an untethered break comes out. But, just so I'm prepared, what do I do if I have a 3GS with the ipad baseband unlock? Do I just update and jailbreak and I'm good to go? Or will I still have to do something to keep it unlocked? Thanks. I'm a newb.

Pretty much the same process (redsn0w custom ipsw, restore with itunes, jailbreak/cydia, ultrasn0w).

The only difference is this, as mentioned by Dev-Team:

Note: there’s a special “trick” that iPhone3GS owners with baseband 06.15 need for iOS5. During the new setup screens you see when you start iOS5 for the first time, you’ll be asked about Location Services. Be sure to select “Disable Location Services” when asked! Later on in the setup, you’ll have the chance to turn on Location Services again when asked if you want to use “Find my iPhone”. It’s fine to turn it back on at that point, if that’s your desire (or you can always go in and enable it in Settings.app).

Hero_of_the_Day said:
can I ask your personal experience with that ipad baseband unlock? I'm really nervous about doing it because of everything I've heard. But I need to unlock my 3G to give to my mom. I don't know what I'm waiting for. It's been a year and the ipad baseband unlock is still the only option available for people on 05.15.04.

Did you lose GPS? Does it affect the speed of the phone or anything?

Plasmid

Are Tethered jailbreaks that big of a bitch? Like, if cydia requires you to reboot the device do you have to use the tool again?

Plasmid said:
Are Tethered jailbreaks that big of a bitch? Like, if cydia requires you to reboot the device do you have to use the tool again?
Yep, if Cydia requires a reboot, or your device runs out of power, or it crashes, you must boot it through ultrasnow each and every time. So yes, it can be a big hassle.

Plasmid

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Yep, if Cydia requires a reboot, or your device runs out of power, or it crashes, you must boot it through ultrasnow each and every time. So yes, it can be a big hassle.

Oh if it crashes? fuck that, mine crashes just about everyday lool.

Plasmid said:
Oh if it crashes? fuck that, mine crashes just about everyday lool.
Any situation where your device must be powered off completely will require a boot through ultrasnow and yeah, my phone crashes from time to time. In fact, it crashed the other day while I was running 4.2.1. Had to update direct to 4.3.5 (since Apple implemented some patch in 4.2.1 which searches rhe baseband for an upgrade and forces an endless booting loop) which is only tethered jailbreak. To make matters worse, iOS 5.0 was releases THE VERY NEXT MORNING. Had I known, I woulda updated to 5.0 and got the 5.0 tethered jailbreak :l

Gaaraz

Tethered for the first time, it's a pain but not the end of the world.

Is there anyway to get gestures on my phone, such as three finger swipe down = mutlitasking bar, three finger swipe left/right = next/previous app? Can't find anything in Activator.

Thanks!

I unlocked my 3G using the iPad baseband. What a nightmare. Took 3 hours before pwnagetool finally took and worked. Kept getting (1600) error in iTunes. GPS still works too. All good in the hood.
grin.gif

epmode

So I finally have my first IOS device. Ipod Touch 4.

I'd like to get into this jailbreaking stuff but I'd like to play around with IOS 5 before trying anything.

Would it be a mistake to update from the official 4.X to IOS 5? I mean, I'll be able to switch from the official IOS 5 to a jailbroken version eventually, right?

I'm only asking because version numbers are very important for console homebrew stuff and I want to make sure I don't make a permanent mistake by going to the wrong firmware.

mil6es

brotkasten said:
Sure it does, if you don't care about privacy and security.
I was thinking the exact same thing, what is the point of the lockscreen if this app grants you some much access infront of it???

Marty Chinn said:
You're already losing some of that with the notifications being visible on the lock screen.

yes but you cannot manipulate of edit information thats the difference

mil6es said:
I was thinking the exact same thing, what is the point of the lockscreen if this app grants you some much access infront of it???

yes but you cannot manipulate of edit information thats the difference

I'm hoping it's configurable, and if not I'm sure people will complain and the devs will probably address it. That said, Siri appears to grant you access to things from the lock screen so Apple does it too =)

brotkasten said:
Sure it does, if you don't care about privacy and security.
I'm not assuming the worst until it actually comes out, I'd imagine a lot of this stuff is configurable.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I use my iPhone without a password anyways, so any information someone could get by seeing this they could also get by just unlocking my phone and going into the separate apps. I guess privacy and security isn't too big of a worry for me.

criesofthepast said:
can I ask your personal experience with that ipad baseband unlock? I'm really nervous about doing it because of everything I've heard. But I need to unlock my 3G to give to my mom. I don't know what I'm waiting for. It's been a year and the ipad baseband unlock is still the only option available for people on 05.15.04.

Did you lose GPS? Does it affect the speed of the phone or anything?

Shit, just saw this, sorry. You've obviously already done it, but I'll throw it out there any way. I had zero problems doing mine. Worked the first try, and I also didn't lose GPS. I assume it didn't slow it down at all since it seems fast, but I've never used it not unlocked cause Cell One doesn't do iphones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Back in the iOS game. Temporarily. What are the new, definitive jailbreak apps? I haven't been here since the Nexus One released so about two years back.

Top Bottom