• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Hey guys, what's the best/safest way to jailbreak a 4.2.8 iPhone 4 (Verizon)? My girlfriend wants SBSettings and I don't want to accidentally brick her mobile... Untethered, please.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bboy AJ said:
Back in the iOS game. Temporarily. What are the new, definitive jailbreak apps? I haven't been here since the Nexus One released so about two years back.
0_0 That's a long break. The last time I posted a big list of jailbreak apps+tweaks was months ago, but it should still be a good starting point. Crosscheck my list with the iOS 5 - Cydia Tweaks Compatibillity List & Notification Center Widgets resource. For the recently released apps+tweaks you should watch a few videos on iDownload blog.

Chuck said:
Hey guys, what's the best/safest way to jailbreak a 4.2.8 iPhone 4 (Verizon)? My girlfriend wants SBSettings and I don't want to accidentally brick her mobile... Untethered, please.
http://iclarified.com/jailbreak/index.php

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Here's what I use on my iOS 5 jailbreak:

- bitesms (my main reason for the jailbreak)
- bbsettings (notification centre sbsettings, I prefer it to uisettings)
- winterboard (so I can get my clear lockscreen back and for matte ui themes)
- bytafont (I use aller as my system font, I got tired of the standard helvetica)
- cleverpin (disables pin lock when on specified wifi networks)
- nowlistening (banner notification with what track's playing)
- mxtube (download YouTube videos)

Those are the ones I use that are currently working fine on iOS 5, I'm also waiting for infinifolders, parallax, dimmer, playawake and a few others to get updated. Anyone else have any must-have jailbreak apps?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A lot of those are things I used on my OG iPhone. But still a bunch of new things. Thanks guys! I'll dig further.

wetflame said:

- bbsettings (notification centre sbsettings, I prefer it to uisettings)
- winterboard (so I can get my clear lockscreen back and for matte ui themes)
- bytafont (I use aller as my system font, I got tired of the standard helvetica)
- cleverpin (disables pin lock when on specified wifi networks)
- nowlistening (banner notification with what track's playing)
- mxtube (download YouTube videos)

Those are the ones I use that are currently working fine on iOS 5, I'm also waiting for infinifolders, parallax, dimmer, playawake and a few others to get updated. Anyone else have any must-have jailbreak apps?
IntelliscreenX is looking like a must-have.

LockInfo for those looking to spend less for similar functionality.

Also SBSettings (just essential for basic adjustments to brightness and wifi) and LocationSpoof for watching region-blocked sports.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That's the thing, the best apps at the moment are those ones that do something well and have been around for a while. iOS 5 hasn't been out for too long, I'm sure there'll be lots of apps that make use of it's features but they'll probably start coming out more after an untethered jailbreak is released. People are still wary to go with tethered for the most part.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Semi tethered means you can reboot and it'll load, but any cydia apps as well as safari and maybe mail won't work. You'll still have to reboot it tethered to get them to work, but if you're away from your computer when your phone crashes/needs a reboot then you won't be stuck without a phone. It's not perfect but it's better than being stuck on the apple logo in an infinite boot.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Jailbreakme.com is pretty safe. I think the domain's owned by saurik (of cydia) now after it change hands briefly, and the iphone dev team are using it. What firmware/model are you trying to jailbreak?

wetflame said:
Semi tethered means you can reboot and it'll load, but any cydia apps as well as safari and maybe mail won't work. You'll still have to reboot it tethered to get them to work, but if you're away from your computer when your phone crashes/needs a reboot then you won't be stuck without a phone. It's not perfect but it's better than being stuck on the apple logo in an infinite boot.

Weird. Thanks for the explanation. May do that to my ipad, and wait for untethered for iphone. Don't think my ipad has been off in months any way.

dyls

wetflame said:

Bitesms gave me all kinds of trouble in iOS 4, especially in conjunction with lockinfo. Has it gotten better in iOS 5?

Just got an iPhone 4, old phone broke and I didn't feel like waiting forever for $s's to get back in stock.

I've been toying with the idea of jailbreaking since before I even got it hah, just seems a little daunting to get into even for a tech-savvy guy like myself >_<

Does it still void your warranty?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StormyTheRabbit said:
I've been toying with the idea of jailbreaking since before I even got it hah, just seems a little daunting to get into even for a tech-savvy guy like myself >_<

It takes like 10 seconds, it couldn't be less daunting.

http://jailbrea.kr/

You've got an iPhone 4, presumably running iOS5.

"Running iOS 5.0, 4.2.9-10, or 4.3.4-5.
Not right now. Follow @iphone_dev for updates.
(There is a beta, tethered jailbreak for non-iPad 2 and non-iPhone 4S devices here.)"

Hmm, what does tethered mean? Oh, it's a link.

"A tethered jailbreak is a jailbreak where the device requires a computer to assist booting up. If the device's battery dies, or you turn off the device, or you reboot it, you're going to be stuck at the Apple logo until you plug the device into a computer, open the tethered boot program (for example redsn0w), and follow its instructions."

Oh, okay. I still want to do it. I'll click on the link. Scroll to the bottom of the release notes, download link for Mac / download link for Windows. Download them, it's a zip file. Unzip, it has an executable.

Oh, the executable wants the IPSW file for my current firmware. I have no idea what that means, so I google IPSW. First result: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ Dropdown box -> iPhone 4 CDMA / iPhone 4 GSM 5.0 -> download. You have the IPSW file. Or instead of googling IPSW, you could click the IPSW link from Jailbrea.kr.

I guess it's a bit tough when redsn0w tells you what to do. Turn off your phone, click next, hold the top button for three seconds, hold both buttons for ten seconds, hold the home button for 10-15 seconds, done.

And that's how easy it is assuming you know nothing and you want to use the poorly explained beta jailbreak.

Does it still void your warranty?

It'd be pretty hard to think of a circumstance where this would happen. You can dejailbreak an iPhone by plugging it into your computer and clicking restore on iTunes, tada fixed.

Is there an app like FolderEnhancer that works with iOS5? I installed it but I think Winterboard fucks it up, and I can't go without Winterboard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
wetflame said:
Using what? I used redsn0w and it's still tethered.

freshair

butter_stick said:
Is there an app like FolderEnhancer that works with iOS5? I installed it but I think Winterboard fucks it up, and I can't go without Winterboard.

Did you install the new v. 1.5.2-1?

If you did and that's what giving you trouble, the new scrolling board 2.5.0 includes built in "scrollable" folders

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Bboy AJ said:
Using what? I used redsn0w and it's still tethered.
It's something you install after using redsn0w to jailbreak. There are instructions at http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/10/...-a-semi-tethered-jailbreak-to-your-ios-device

dyls said:
Bitesms gave me all kinds of trouble in iOS 4, especially in conjunction with lockinfo. Has it gotten better in iOS 5?
I don't use lockinfo, so I can't comment on any issues there, but if you use the bitesms beta by adding the source http://test-cydia.bitesms.com/ you shouldn't have any problems. As I said it is a beta release, but I've not noticed any bugs so far, they're releasing updates very quickly to iron out any that are coming up and it integrates with the notification centre well (sliding the icon across opens the quick reply menu). I don't know how it'll be with whatever version of lockinfo makes it to iOS 5, but I'm sure it's improved somewhat.

Bitmap Frogs said:
what are they waiting for to release the untethered jailbreak?
Probably looking for a way to use a common exploit on iPad 2/iPhone 4S to make it worth everyone's while. I imagine that if they can't find one soon they'll get an untether out for earlier devices until they find something that works for those.

timnich

It says in the link how it bypasses that:
12. How does the Siri port connect to Apple’s servers?

When you first activate an iPhone 4S and Siri, Apple’s servers basically say “Oh, you’re an iPhone 4S. You’re clear.” Since we don’t have that luxury, we have to intercept the data that is being exchanged between devices to initially “trick” Apple’s servers into thinking that the device is authorized. So, imagine that what we have setup is a middle man.

The iPhone 4 (in this case) sends out commands to Apple’s servers, we intercept and change the data, send to Apple’s servers, and Apple’s servers goes “Cool beans.” From there, it performs the actions we ask.

13. What is required to host this type of capability?

We won’t really go into this because the process is not something that one can easily explain. However, as you guys have mentioned in chat, hosting this particular server to intercept data will cost money and will be the venue for all users to use Siri without an iPhone 4S.

Stumpokapow said:
It takes like 10 seconds, it couldn't be less daunting.

http://jailbrea.kr/

You've got an iPhone 4, presumably running iOS5.

"Running iOS 5.0, 4.2.9-10, or 4.3.4-5.
Not right now. Follow @iphone_dev for updates.
(There is a beta, tethered jailbreak for non-iPad 2 and non-iPhone 4S devices here.)"

Hmm, what does tethered mean? Oh, it's a link.

"A tethered jailbreak is a jailbreak where the device requires a computer to assist booting up. If the device's battery dies, or you turn off the device, or you reboot it, you're going to be stuck at the Apple logo until you plug the device into a computer, open the tethered boot program (for example redsn0w), and follow its instructions."

Oh, okay. I still want to do it. I'll click on the link. Scroll to the bottom of the release notes, download link for Mac / download link for Windows. Download them, it's a zip file. Unzip, it has an executable.

Oh, the executable wants the IPSW file for my current firmware. I have no idea what that means, so I google IPSW. First result: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ Dropdown box -> iPhone 4 CDMA / iPhone 4 GSM 5.0 -> download. You have the IPSW file. Or instead of googling IPSW, you could click the IPSW link from Jailbrea.kr.

I guess it's a bit tough when redsn0w tells you what to do. Turn off your phone, click next, hold the top button for three seconds, hold both buttons for ten seconds, hold the home button for 10-15 seconds, done.

And that's how easy it is assuming you know nothing and you want to use the poorly explained beta jailbreak.

It'd be pretty hard to think of a circumstance where this would happen. You can dejailbreak an iPhone by plugging it into your computer and clicking restore on iTunes, tada fixed.

Your the man!

Thanks a ton, now things make a little more sense. Totally jumping in on this when an untethered release gets out!

Blackhead

Redarse
Fusebox said:
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/277716,adelaide-office-hit-by-flash-sms-hack.aspx

"Attack hits jailbroken iPhones.

It seemed perfectly ordinary when the distinctive Apple chime bounced off the walls in a small Adelaide office as an iPhone downloaded an SMS.

But the calm soon broke as the staffer read a strange message splashed over the top of the iPhone that read “exploit. Downloading PIM [personal information management] data 40%.”"

How common is this?!
I'm confused; what does this have to do with jailbroken iPhones? From the article:
ITNews said:
The state police had sent flash SMS to factory-set iPhones from a MobileMe installation operating on a remote machine to demonstrate the attacks.

Fusebox

Banned
Greyface said:
I'm confused; what does this have to do with jailbroken iPhones? From the article:

From the same article... "Attack hits jailbroken iPhones."

It doesn't mention if the police demonstration actually worked or was just to demonstrate the process.

Blackhead

Redarse
Fusebox said:
From the same article... "Attack hits jailbroken iPhones."

It doesn't mention if the police demonstration actually worked or was just to demonstrate the process.
Yeah but the article doesn't say if the 'attacked' iPhones were jailbroken phones—I'd find it hard to believe that the majority of iPhones in a small Adelaide office were jailbroken... I'm interpreting the title as sensationalist link-bait (or a simple mistake by the editor).

I used MyWi VERY occasionally on my iPhone 4. It'll be the first thing I install on my iPad and 4S as soon as a jailbreak is out. Since I used it so infrequently, I never got pinched by the AT&T police for unauthorized tethering. Did that whole situation blow over? I never hear about it anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ClovingSteam said:
Any closer to an untethered iOS 5 jailbreak for 3GS new bootrom?
goddamn I'm in the same boat as you with the new bootrom 3GS.

gets my hopes up every time this thread is bumped.

And that guy who said he has the exploit or the one who said they had it covered now says he has no time to release a jailbreak cause he's writing a book, so I have no idea what's going on with that anymore, is anyone still actively making the jailbreak? x_x

Fusebox

Banned
thechristoph said:
I used MyWi VERY occasionally on my iPhone 4. It'll be the first thing I install on my iPad and 4S as soon as a jailbreak is out. Since I used it so infrequently, I never got pinched by the AT&T police for unauthorized tethering. Did that whole situation blow over? I never hear about it anymore.
Why haven't you dropped MyWi for Personal Hotspot? It is a US carrier thing?

Fusebox said:
Why haven't you dropped MyWi for Personal Hotspot? It is a US carrier thing?

Is Personal Hotspot the official Apple implementation? If so, you have to give up unlimited data and pay an additional like $20 to $25 a month to enable it.

Plasmid

Marty Chinn said:
Is Personal Hotspot the official Apple implementation? If so, you have to give up unlimited data and pay an additional like $20 to $25 a month to enable it.
AT&T is also sending messages to people who use mywi a lot, telling them their plans don't allow for hotspots, and that if they continue their bill will be updated.

This was months ago though.

Sofo

Plasmid said:
AT&T is also sending messages to people who use mywi a lot, telling them their plans don't allow for hotspots, and that if they continue their bill will be updated.

Sorry, not a jailbroken user but that's pretty scary. The reason why I pay full price for an iPhone unlocked and not linked to any service provider is exactly this. I don't want to get on some sort of devilish and expensive plan. I'm currently on the same plan I had with my Nokia XM5800 (what an improvement from that!) and so far I haven't been contacted (Orange, in Spain). I hope we never get to where USA is right now.

Plasmid said:

Yeah, that's what my question was. Months ago you heard it all the time. Then the whole thing seemed to blow over.

I only ever tethered my iPad to my iPhone with MyWi, so I don't know if they could even tell what I was doing. Also I wasn't using very much data at all. I'm still on unlimited (obviously, as I'd have gone to Personal Hotspot service if I wasn't), and I've yet to crest the theoretical 2GB limit anyway.

Bboy AJ

Bboy AJ said:
Am I the only one that isn't getting notifications from BeeJive? I don't get the banner pop ups. I checked my notification settings. Maybe today's update to the app will fix it.
I'm hacktivated so no wonder why my notifications didn't work. iMessage and Facetime didn't work, either. However, I solved it. Here's the info for other GAFers:

1. Launch Cydia and add to your source:

repo.bingner.com

2. Once added, go ahead and install SAM (Subscribers Artifical Module) and SAMpref.
3. Launch SAMpref and Click “Revert Lockdownd to Stock” in Settings > SAM (this deactivates your hacktivation).
4. Go to Settings > SAM and tap on “De-Activate iPhone”
5. Connect your iPhone to iTunes to activate it.
6. If you already have iPusher app installed, remove it now.
7. Navigate to Settings > SAM > Utilities > tap on Backup Activation and then followed by on Restore Activation.
8. Reboot your iPhone and then sync it with iTunes.
9. Install free iPusher App from here.
10. Reboot your iPhone and then sync it with iTunes. Make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wifi that has an active internet connection.
11. Open iPusher app and tap on Test Push Notifications button. If you see a pop-up saying Yay, push notifications work fine! then it means your Push Notifications are working fine
12. Turn off iMessage.
13. Reboot iPhone.
14. Turn on iMessage.

Common Issues (Compiling)

1. Can’t get passed iTunes activation – Check if “Hacktivation” in SAM is on, then take a look at the text underneath it on what you have to do; then turn “Hacktivation” off and connect to iTunes again.
2. …
http://www.iphonejailbreak.me/how-t...atedjailbroken-iphone-3gs-iphone-4-using-sam/

It will still saying "Waiting for activation" but it will work. Fantastic.

Top Bottom