• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

I REALLY want to jailbreak my iPhone 4 that I got about a month ago...but I'm still not really seeing any major benefits to it. Sure, some apps seem great (intelliscreen X really catches my eye), but most of the ones I have seen cost $10 or so each..minus a few really nice apps, that may cost more, is there any other major reason to jailbreak?

If these groups really do have completed jailbreaks, why not release them? What's the point in holding out unless they're lying for attention?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If these groups really do have completed jailbreaks, why not release them? What's the point in holding out unless they're lying for attention?
Umm.. If you decide to read the sources you'll quickly realize that he wants to test them on devices before he releases them and he still has a few devices left to test..

Buzzati

Banned
Is it safe to say that this new jailbreak won't work on the 4S considering the change in A5 encryption?

Kinda sucks having a non-jailbroken phone. : ( /whitewhine

Buzzati

Banned
4Sers rejoice:

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/ said:
4S 5.0.1 Build 9A406 fail
@MuscleNerd tweeted something really interesting today:

The latest ipsw released by Apple for the 4S contains an unencrypted
ramdisk with the vfdecrypt key in plain text.

Everybody can decrypt the filesystem with it !

Is it a Christmas gift from Apple ?

Weird, isn't it ?
Posted by pod2g at

Big news?

noah111

Still Alive
Is the untethered iOS 5 jb out yet or what? It's been a while.. This will be my first JB ever, looking forward to trying some shit out.

Just for clarification though, when I JB, NOTHING is different (performance, default apps etc) if I just leave it that way, right? The option is there if I want to tinker, but I don't have to. Correct?

Does anyone know of any iOS 5 jailbreak software that will display icons in the status bar when you have an email, missed call, etc? I used to use something called Notifier but it crashes on iOS 5.

linkboy

Is the untethered iOS 5 jb out yet or what? It's been a while.. This will be my first JB ever, looking forward to trying some shit out.

Just for clarification though, when I JB, NOTHING is different (performance, default apps etc) if I just leave it that way, right? The option is there if I want to tinker, but I don't have to. Correct?

The easiest way to describe it is that it gives you Administrator access to your phone. Everything looks, stays and functions the same.

For me, I want my phone JB because there's some minor annoyances I have with iOS. The fact that I can't install apps over 20MB on my 3G connection, having to type my password in every time I open the market to download an app, just to name a few.

Pachimari

You don't have to type in your password everytime you download from App Store.

I think I'm gonna jump on the jailbreak bandwagon again.

Does BiteSMS work nicely with iMessage? I guess no since it's two different services.

linkboy

You don't have to type in your password everytime you download from App Store.

I think I'm gonna jump on the jailbreak bandwagon again.

Does BiteSMS work nicely with iMessage? I guess no since it's two different services.

Every time I access the app store to download an app, I get prompted for my password. As long as I leave the app store open, I can download as many apps as I want. If I close it, the next time I open it, I get prompted again. To me, that's annoying.

I switched from android to iOS, and it's little things like this that annoy me. Jailbreaking my phone lets me fix them.

Calidor

freshair

For the most part. In the past there's been a couple of glitches (that later have been fixed) such as broken gps, broken ibooks, etc.

So if you want to be cautious (and patient), wait a couple of days after it comes out to see if anyone is having any problems.

So I have a friend who is trying to unjailbreak their iphone (long story). They are one 4.3.5 How do I do it without upgrading? I keep getting the 3194 error while trying to restore in itunes. I've done it once already, but it took forever and I can't remember how I finally did it in the end. All the suggestions I've found online have lead me nowhere.

Pachimari

I guess I should have asked in here in the first place. Do any of you know if I can jailbreak an Apple TV and run Plex on it, if it's on firmware 4.3?

freshair

So I have a friend who is trying to unjailbreak their iphone (long story). They are one 4.3.5 How do I do it without upgrading? I keep getting the 3194 error while trying to restore in itunes. I've done it once already, but it took forever and I can't remember how I finally did it in the end. All the suggestions I've found online have lead me nowhere.

What iphone model?

I guess I should have asked in here in the first place. Do any of you know if I can jailbreak an Apple TV and run Plex on it, if it's on firmware 4.3?

jailbreak (currently tethered only. the new exploit by pod2g should get 4.4.3 untethered when released): http://blog.firecore.com/5180

install plex: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php...t-for-appletv-gen2-version-083-now-available/

and

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Apple_TV_Plex_Client_Install

What iphone model?

It's a 4. Just got it. Once again, I'm not sure what I did, but eventually got the error to stop popping up. Edited the hosts file like a billion times. Probably was just typing something wrong. But, yeah we're good now. Hope my friend won't be dumb enough to jailbreak it again 'cause I warned her not to last time since she's using the gevey sim card on 4.3.5.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a 4. Just got it. Once again, I'm not sure what I did, but eventually got the error to stop popping up. Edited the hosts file like a billion times. Probably was just typing something wrong. But, yeah we're good now. Hope my friend won't be dumb enough to jailbreak it again 'cause I warned her not to last time since she's using the gevey sim card on 4.3.5.

I'm using gevey on 5.0. Just update without updating the baseband. Check out redsn0w.

I'm using gevey on 5.0. Just update without updating the baseband. Check out redsn0w.

But, their site says it doesn't work on 5.0? Or is that just because of the baseband? Fucking crazy. I'm having trouble getting it to work. It took me like a million tries last time too though before it finally worked. May as well go to 5.0 and try it there. Thanks.

EDIT: Custom IPSW not available in Windows. So I guess that means that's a no go?

ok so i've recently acquired an iphone 3gs, erm i almost bricked the thing by trying to downgrade the firmware from 4.3.5 to something lower in order to jailbreak. but its fine now so yeh.

now its on 4.1 ios. the baseband/modem version is 5.16.02.

is there no way of jailbreaking it now without ruining the gps functionality? (i'd quite like the gps on it tbh)

Oni Jazar

Latest Update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qdF58anFtiQ

Here is a new video demo of the current status of the 5.0.1 jailbreak running on an iPhone 4.

This is meant to reassure people that were thinking it only works on older iPods.

The jailbreak is near ready for prime time (excluding 4S and iPad 2).

Patches are the same as redsn0w's. Expect the same level of stability.

Some more days to wait. Be patient, we're doing our best.

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He just updated his blog again:

Focused on A5
I read the comments on the blog, and I know that a lot of people are waiting for the A5 jailbreak.

Also, I know there are tons of people out there with A4 or even earlier devices who wants the untether now and don't care about it could be interesting to wait A5 is finished to release or even 5.1, so that we don't waste an exploit that took me months to find and develop.

I need to focus on A5 and hope I can find a path quick, and I have the feeling that chronic-dev could help me.

So, here is what I did:
- I gave all the details to the chronic dev team so that they can finish, test, integrate and release the A4 jb ASAP.
- I'll put all my energy from now on on the A5

Hope I don't disappoint.

See you.
Which devices have A5 chips again? And what does this mean, are they delaying the release until after 5.1 hits? When is 5.1 supposed to hit?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
He just updated his blog again:

Which devices have A5 chips again? And what does this mean, are they delaying the release until after 5.1 hits? When is 5.1 supposed to hit?

The A5 is in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, and yea, sounds like they don't want to push it out the door till they sort out A5 devices and iOS 5.1 hits so as not to get blocked I guess.

Personally I was hoping it would hit before Christmas.

Blackhead

Redarse
The A5 is in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, and yea, sounds like they don't want to push it out the door till they sort out A5 devices and iOS 5.1 hits so as not to get blocked I guess.

Called it:
That doesn't mean much. It took 5 months before the untethered jailbreak for the iPad2 was ready. I'm expecting a christmas day present but who can say now that iOS 5.1 is on the horizon.
It took 5 months for Ipad 2 because they couldn't catch a break and find a way to do it... They have it with Iphone 4s..
:(

Oni Jazar

The quote says, "release the A4 jb ASAP". Sounds like they do want to push it out the door.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The jailbreak devs are the most annoying bunch of cunts I've ever paid attention to. It's always the same story, "don't wanna burn an exploit! gotta wait months with a usable jailbreak before releasing it!" Fuck off. You're a hacker. Hack the next fix when that comes out. I was so happy when Geohot fucked them on the 4.0 or whichever it was.

The jailbreak devs are the most annoying bunch of cunts I've ever paid attention to. It's always the same story, "don't wanna burn an exploit! gotta wait months with a usable jailbreak before releasing it!" Fuck off. You're a hacker. Hack the next fix when that comes out. I was so happy when Geohot fucked them on the 4.0 or whichever it was.

Tag quote? I mean, it's not like you're paying for it. What good is a hack, when it's closed faw days later?

Cromat

Isn't that a bit ungrateful seeing as they're doing a service for you that you can't do yourself and giving it out for free?

Just wait ffs

edit: sorry if sarcasm

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Tag quote? I mean, it's not like you're paying for it. What good is a hack, when it's closed faw days later?

Don't update to the next firmware? Apple can't just flash everybody's iPods with a fix remotely.

Look, I recognize I'm not paying for it, but their mentality makes no sense. My impression of hackers has always been that they enjoy breaking things and figuring out how they work. These guys come off less as hackers than people who appear like they are forced to do this and want to make it as easy as possible.

BTW, my iPod isn't even hacked right now. I'm not really receiving a service from these guys. I'm just stating an opinion on something that I follow out of interest.

noah111

Still Alive
It's hard to follow all this shit so i'll just ask bluntly; has the iOS 5.0 UNtethered jailbreak been released yet or what??

Pagusas

Elden Member
Don't update to the next firmware? Apple can't just flash everybody's iPods with a fix remotely.

Look, I recognize I'm not paying for it, but their mentality makes no sense. My impression of hackers has always been that they enjoy breaking things and figuring out how they work. These guys come off less as hackers than people who appear like they are forced to do this and want to make it as easy as possible.

BTW, my iPod isn't even hacked right now. I'm not really receiving a service from these guys. I'm just stating an opinion on something that I follow out of interest.

Most of them started out doing this stuff as fun and now its expected of them. They probably feel the pressure of peoples expectations. You come off as a little entitled bitch with your whining. In no way do they even need to release it to the public, if it was for personal enjoyment they could just do it for there own fun and amusement and completely exclude you and everyone else from it.

Top Bottom