• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
what can be done with a jailbroken Apple tv?? i am thinking about getting one and I don't know what its limitations are.

ok so i've recently acquired an iphone 3gs, erm i almost bricked the thing by trying to downgrade the firmware from 4.3.5 to something lower in order to jailbreak. but its fine now so yeh.

now its on 4.1 ios. the baseband/modem version is 5.16.02.

is there no way of jailbreaking it now without ruining the gps functionality? (i'd quite like the gps on it tbh)

Bumping because i'm sort of in the same boat.

Is changing the baseband from the 3GS' to the iPad's really dangerous? I'm wondering how it could be reverted if something were to go wrong?

snack

What's this Apple TV netflix jailbreak I keep hearing about?! Can I stream Netflix without having to subscribe to its service? I'm all ears.

Borman

Yep and it works great so far. You can update to 5.0.1 and install the JB, or if you are already Jailbroken with the tether method, either install over it or install a Cydia package. Nice and easy.

Been jailbreaking for years now but never had to unlock a phone before.

Gave my mom my 3GS when I bought the 4S.

With news of this new jailbreak out, I'm assuming the unlock for 3GS is still not out right?

Brofist

It is?! YES! My first time JBing so this is gonna be either a blast or a nightmare. No links/guides?, or am I gonna have to get through this on my own..

I haven't jailbroken in a while, but last I remember about a year ago it was no more difficult than updating the official iOS fw.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded the Corona Unthether package in Cydia, uninstalled Semi-thether. Can reboot freely now. Smooth sailing.

RedShift

Jailbreaking is considerably less painful than updating firmware. I had a text arrive just before jailbreaking that was still in my notification centre afterwards, all apps and music etc. will still be there as well.

All you need to do is make sure you're on 5.0.1, maybe have a quick look at videos of putting a device in DFU mode if you've never done it before (The installer will walk you through it though) and download Redsn0w.

Oh and run it as an administrator if you're in windows.

if you don't need to preserve the baseband (for those who can unlock their phones) the guide is as easy as updating your a4 idevice to 5.0.1 then download and run redsnow 0.9.10b1 and you're done.

noah111

Still Alive
Ok i'm kinda looking everywhere here and I don't know what the fuck to download or do, i'm on a Mac. I'd like to JB my clean 5.0 iPad and clean 5.0.1 iPhone 4. Any help, links to make this easy?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
bookmarked for tonight.

does the JB work for unlocking too?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
upgraded my iphone4 to iOS5 finally. shocked that lockinfo works as well as it does with notification center.

noah111

Still Alive
upgraded my iphone4 to iOS5 finally. shocked that lockinfo works as well as it does with notification center.
Just JB'd my phone, first timer here and it's overwhelming to explore all the possibilities. Not gonna mess with any themes or ugly stuff, but added functionality possibilities are cool.

But why aren't the multitasking gestures working, is it an iPad only thing that for some reason is included into the phone settings too?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
BiteSMS on iOS5 is really sweet, totally how the default messenges app should have been.

Ok, is there any way to backup my text messages without jailbreaking?

Do you mean export them out so as to read them using something else?
Because text messages are backed up with everything else via iTunes/iCloud.

noah111

Still Alive
Success! JB'd both my iPad 1 and iPhone 4, now to get around JBing the other four iPhones in this house. :lol Oh, does it work with a 3rd gen iPod touch as well?

Any ideas on untethered JB for 3GS with new bootrom? Also, updated my 3GS that was jailbroken to 5.1 OS. Is it just my phone or is iOS 5.01 on the 3GS considerably slower than say iOS 4.2? Finally, the last couple of months my battery has been extremely inconsistent. It will show that I have 30% battery left and then it just shuts down. It happens consistently now once it hits the 25-30% level. I want to upgrade but am waiting for next years phone so I'm hoping this one will last until then.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any ideas on untethered JB for 3GS with new bootrom? Also, updated my 3GS that was jailbroken to 5.1 OS. Is it just my phone or is iOS 5.01 on the 3GS considerably slower than say iOS 4.2? Finally, the last couple of months my battery has been extremely inconsistent. It will show that I have 30% battery left and then it just shuts down. It happens consistently now once it hits the 25-30% level. I want to upgrade but am waiting for next years phone so I'm hoping this one will last until then.

Whats the mileage on your battery?

Whats the mileage on your battery?

Well I've had the phone since October of 2009 so yea, I know it's way past due. But I'm trying to hold until the last minute lol as I just bought an iPad/TV, can't upgrade just yet lol. Also, I use it daily for hours. Whether its streaming NetFlix, etc.

linkboy

Somehow I lost my icons for my calendar and weather apps. They're still their and they function, just no icon.

Gonna reboot the phone and see if that fixes them. If it doesn't, anyone have an idea how to get them back?

RedShift

Somehow I lost my icons for my calendar and weather apps. They're still their and they function, just no icon.

Gonna reboot the phone and see if that fixes them. If it doesn't, anyone have an idea how to get them back?

My reminders icon disappeared, I resprung and it came back.

linkboy

My reminders icon disappeared, I resprung and it came back.

I've rebooted my phone and resprung and neither of them have come back. Ideally its not that big of a deal (since I don't use either apps), but its an OCD thing.

One app to install from Cydia is Nonewsisgoodnews, it gets rid of the Newstand folder (for those of us who can't stand it).

Gonna restore my phone and try it again. Nothing I do seems to bring them back.

hyp

sweet, jb time.

only two things i really care for since iOS5 was the upgrade i needed:

sbsettings
ability to remove text from all icons on the homescreen

yay!

I can't find "nonewsisgoodnews" on Cydia search. Any ideas? Update: Nothing shows up under the BigBoss source...odd.

Edit: Do I need to install Corona or is it already untethered?

Top Bottom