• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

linkboy

anyone install winterboard? I'm getting a "cannot comply" notice when I try.

Keep trying, Cydia was giving me a bunch of errors on things as well.

I just restored my phone and I'm going to jailbreak it again, no matter what I did, I couldn't fix my icon issues.

exciting news for everyone. cant wait until pod2g figures out the A5 untethered jailbreak.

on a more related note, i know the iphone dev team said that to keep your unlock via the 1.59 baseband or gevey, its okay to update to 5.0.1 using a custom ipsw via pwnagetool or redsn0w. i just wanted to make sure this is fine first because when people updated to 5.0/5.0.1 using an older version of redsn0w that preserved their baseband, gevey didnt work. i didnt see anyone who updated, kept their baseband at 04.10.08 and uses gevey (and works!).

When I tried redsn0w it stopped at where it said Waiting for Reboot. This happen to anyone else?

Are you receiving the error "No Identifying Data Fetched"?

For some reason, RedSn0w was having/is having problems fetching the correct info from the Apple Servers. So as the fix, I had to download the IPSW file for my phone, then from within 'RedSn0w' under 'Extras'...I had to manually 'select' the IPSW that I downloaded on my computer.

Carlisle

Any special instructions for installing this over the tethered jb? Or should I reset the system and do everything from scratch?

linkboy

And of course, since nothing ever works right.

Cydia is having issues finding the packages of the apps that I bought, which means I can't install them.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to restore and jailbreak it yet again.

Any special instructions for installing this over the tethered jb? Or should I reset the system and do everything from scratch?
"If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose."

Rengoku

And of course, since nothing ever works right.

Cydia is having issues finding the packages of the apps that I bought, which means I can't install them.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to restore and jailbreak it yet again.

I have the same problem too, from twitter, it seems most folks are having the same issues. A couple hosts are having trouble keeping up with the traffic today because of the untether release.

Carlisle

"If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose."
Thanks, I thought as much but that's what I did and my Cydia store isn't loading up properly anymore. Gonna run some errands and take another look at it again later.

Edit:
I have the same problem too, from twitter, it seems most folks are having the same issues. A couple hosts are having trouble keeping up with the traffic today because of the untether release.
Ah, this is probably what's happening to me then. I'll wait it out till it clears up.

hyp

Keep trying, Cydia was giving me a bunch of errors on things as well.

I just restored my phone and I'm going to jailbreak it again, no matter what I did, I couldn't fix my icon issues.

everything is working again. winterboard, sbsettings, remove recents. was just some cydia issues due to traffic.

linkboy

everything is working again. winterboard, sbsettings, remove recents. was just some cydia issues due to traffic.

Gonna restart my phone, just tried it and still got the same error.

Would really like to get this up and running tonight since I have to work tomorrow.

linkboy

Figured out why I can't get anything to work

I went to refresh my sources in Cydia and got this

GPG error for modmyi.com; the following signatures were invalid

failed to fetch apt.thebigboss hash sum mismatch

(didn't type the full address out, they're correct in Cydia)

This phone was just jailbroken (third time actually), I haven't done anything to it. I haven't even touched any of my sources.

Nothing is working at all. It was working fine this morning, but I lost icons for some of my system apps, so I restored my phone and redid the jailbreak, I've been fighting it ever since.

noah111

Still Alive
A friend of mine recommended me some stuff to start with jailbreak (customizations and stuff) and he tried to give instructions (packages sources https I don't fucking know) to get something called installous? Don't know if it's an app or store within the cydia store or what but he said it's like cydia but better. Seems complicated, is it worth it?

So far i've just been looking up themes and stuff online, it's been fun. Still new to this shit, and a lot of it is oddly complicated. BUT, still got all my apps and notes and reminders and basic stuff, so why not customize?

Plasmid

Blank repos and slow downloads are being attributed to how hard the cydia servers are getting hit, this should subside probably tomorrow or at least by friday / saturday hopefully.

elsk

Banned
A friend of mine recommended me some stuff to start with jailbreak (customizations and stuff) and he tried to give instructions (packages sources https I don't fucking know) to get something called installous? Don't know if it's an app or store within the cydia store or what but he said it's like cydia but better. Seems complicated, is it worth it?

Installous is kind of 'illegal' because you can download cracked apps directly from there.

noah111

Still Alive
Installous is kind of 'illegal' because you can download cracked apps directly from there.
Its also really flaky and can mess up your springboard. Its really not worth it.
What is it, like torrenting apps? By cracked i'm gonna assume you mean free. I mean what the fuck, most apps are like a dollar or two a piece, why would people bother pirating them?

Anyway, sucks for all the people posting about getting errors and whatnot, this is my first JB and i'm glad it went totally smooth. :)

linkboy

What is it, like torrenting apps? By cracked i'm gonna assume you mean free. I mean what the fuck, most apps are like a dollar or two a piece, why would people bother pirating them?

Anyway, sucks for all the people posting about getting errors and whatnot, this is my first JB and i'm glad it went totally smooth. :)

Its essentially an alternate App Store that has free versions of paid apps. People bother because they're cheapskates.

Anybody able to install SBSettings? Most of any app I try to install I receive a 'Cannot Comply' error.

'The requested modification cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed.'

I tried to manually add the bigboss/beta package since the bigboss package when i select it is empty.

linkboy

Anybody able to install SBSettings? Most of any app I try to install I receive a 'Cannot Comply' error.

'The requested modification cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed.'

I tried to manually add the bigboss/beta package since the bigboss package when i select it is empty.

All of the sources are getting hammered right now due to everybody jailbreaking their phones and downloading apps.

Rengoku

Yeah I get alot of that as well, I'd say either wait it out, or find those dependencies from alternate repos or other online sites.

LOZLINK

Man fuck apple. The iphone didn't backup like it always does before it updates, and no prompt came up so i assume it did. Lost everything from Dec 16 til today. Laaame. Also lost my chrono trigger save file and GTA3. Fuck

has anyone heard of dev team plans on releasing an updated ownage tool anytime in the near future that will unlock newer basebands?

I told a guy at work i'd sell him my iPhone 4, but he needs it unlocked and its stuck on a baseband thats not compatible

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man fuck apple. The iphone didn't backup like it always does before it updates, and no prompt came up so i assume it did. Lost everything from Dec 16 til today. Laaame. Also lost my chrono trigger save file and GTA3. Fuck
I thought some apps period do not save your files and they're kind of held temporarily?

Anyways, what's the verdict on notification centre? LockInfo still shits on it? Are there any augmentations to make it more seamless with the UI/iOS5?

LOZLINK

I thought some apps period do not save your files and they're kind of held temporarily?

Anyways, what's the verdict on notification centre? LockInfo still shits on it? Are there any augmentations to make it more seamless with the UI/iOS5?

Every time I updated before this, all my app save files were in Itunes. These weren't though.

Plasmid

Every time i try to add a new repository, i have to download a lot of "package.gpg" files, that time out, no matter what i do.

This is because of server problems right? i hope i'm not having to rejailbreak.

linkboy

Everything started working for me last night, just about got my phone setup how I want it.

Anyone know any applications that let you move photos between albums. The only one I can find costs $5, and that way to much (IMO) for something like that.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Everything started working for me last night, just about got my phone setup how I want it.

Anyone know any applications that let you move photos between albums. The only one I can find costs $5, and that way to much (IMO) for something like that.

You can move photos into new albums in Photos already iirc, you just have to select a picture and add it to new/existing album.

I've only done it once, and you can't add to albums that you sync from iPhoto.

linkboy

You can move photos into new albums in Photos already iirc, you just have to select a picture and add it to new/existing album.

I've only done it once, and you can't add to albums that you sync from iPhoto.

Issues like that are what I'm talking about. Its totally pointless that I can't manage my photo and albums on the phone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Every time i try to add a new repository, i have to download a lot of "package.gpg" files, that time out, no matter what i do.

This is because of server problems right? i hope i'm not having to rejailbreak.
I get this too, but you have to wait it out past the time outs. Alternatively, if you got fed up and cancelled it, go into your packages and reinstall Cydia Installer. You just have to wait it out unfortunately, its a problem with the default zottd or w/e repository I believe, not Cydia itself.

Anyways, AptBackup crashed my iPhone, now no Cydia apps or Cydia load :/ Just when I thought I forgot about the oodles of uncontrollable and random jailbreaking issues.

Time to rejailbreak :/

Cromat

Is iOS 5 really worth the terrible battery downgrade?

I mean, the notification bar is nice (tells you the weather in your current location - how useless), and iCloud is cool...

But is it worth having a -20% battery life?

ChanHuk

Banned

I mean, the notification bar is nice (tells you the weather in your current location - how useless), and iCloud is cool...

I had no choice.

-4S users

So it is iOS 5. Ugh. I have noticed a DEFINITE reduction on my 3GS battery. If I were to downgrade back to say 4.2 and JB (is that even possible still) would the battery issue go away?

Cromat

So it is iOS 5. Ugh. I have noticed a DEFINITE reduction on my 3GS battery. If I were to downgrade back to say 4.2 and JB (is that even possible still) would the battery issue go away?

A friend of mine claims that after updating his 3GS goes from 100% to 90% in an hour with Bluetooth on. 12 hours idle battery life...

I'll think i'll give up on upgrading.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A friend of mine claims that after updating his 3GS goes from 100% to 90% in an hour with Bluetooth on. 12 hours idle battery life...

I'll think i'll give up on upgrading.
Bluetooth murdering your battery is nothing new. I would say when/if I accidentally turn Bluetooth on pre-iOS5, I get around the same amount of drainage.

Rengoku

So far, on iPhone 4 with Jailbroken IOS 5.0.1, I'm quite impressed with the battery life, it dropped only %3 overnight on idle - This is with push email, wifi, notifications on. My previous firmware version was 4.0.1, and I used to lose more than 10% battery life overnight.

By the way, has anyone tried Springflash on the new untethered jailbreak? It doesn't work for me.
EDIT: Nevermind, got it to work, all it needed was a hard reset.

hyp

So far, on iPhone 4 with Jailbroken IOS 5.0.1, I'm quite impressed with the battery life, it dropped only %3 overnight on idle - This is with push email, wifi, notifications on. My previous firmware version was 4.0.1, and I used to lose more than 10% battery life overnight.

By the way, has anyone tried Springflash on the new untethered jailbreak? It doesn't work for me.

same here, iʻm getting great battery life on an iphone 4. there are some JB apps that turn off 3G for you automatically when you hit the sleep button, you could extend the battery even further. i personally just shut off 3G when iʻm at home, barely notice any drain that way.

sbsettings in the notification bar make it so convenient.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
spent some of the day tweaking and installing my cydia packages from the 4.x jailbreak. right now i have lockinfo, scrolling board, tetherme and sbsettings working perfectly. took some time to finesse lockinfo with the new notification center, but i finally have it set up.

now to wait for the 5.1 jailbreak p:

Blackhead

Redarse
spent some of the day tweaking and installing my cydia packages from the 4.x jailbreak. right now i have lockinfo, scrolling board, tetherme and sbsettings working perfectly. took some time to finesse lockinfo with the new notification center, but i finally have it set up.

now to wait for the 5.1 jailbreak p:

Screenshots please :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man I keep checking every 5 mins for the iPad 2, giddy as fuck. Is there some recent (<4 hours) news or ETA?

Rengoku

I've been testing out IntelliscreenX as a potential replacement for SBsettings and Lockinfo, gotta say, its pretty sleek. Apart from the notifications slide, it has other slides for mail, facebook, twitter and rss feeds.

urI9w.jpg
KOLEv.jpg

luiztfc

Just got my iPad 2, it has iOS 5.0.1. What would you guys recommend: downgrade it, then jailbreak it or just wait for jailbreak for it?

Man I keep checking every 5 mins for the iPad 2, giddy as fuck. Is there some recent (<4 hours) news or ETA?

But is there any rumor about it getting done?

Top Bottom