• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
But is there any rumor about it getting done?
I believe it's done, just gotta fix bugs or something? At least that's what I read the last time, and that it would be out in a few days

I don't think you can downgrade the new iPad 2s, tried it before

luiztfc

I believe it's done, just gotta fix bugs or something? At least that's what I read the last time, and that it would be out in a few days

I don't think you can downgrade the new iPad 2s, tried it before

Great news! Thanks! BTW, where are you checking news? I'm only following musclenerd's twitter.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Great news! Thanks! BTW, where are you checking news? I'm only following musclenerd's twitter.
I forgot which one but it was a random news site. The source was one of the devs' quote however yes! So best to check their twitters/websites itself

Anyone else having problems downloading themes? I just go to a black screen with a bar that never moves whenever I try and download one.

EDIT: Let it sit there long enough and it finally said "host unreachable".

okno

Jailbroke my iPhone 4, everything went smoothly, and I'm loving being jailbroken again. I was dying without BiteSMS, but it's not flawless. Due to the system-level integration of iMessage, any texts between iPhones will still show up only in the Messages app, and not BiteSMS, which can make text strings look really disjointed. It's a minor issue, but hopefully they'll be able to get it to work together better.

I've been testing out IntelliscreenX as a potential replacement for SBsettings and Lockinfo, gotta say, its pretty sleek. Apart from the notifications slide, it has other slides for mail, facebook, twitter and rss feeds.
What are you using to get a mail icon in the status bar? The app I always used for that doesn't seem to have been updated.

freshair

Jailbroke my iPhone 4, everything went smoothly, and I'm loving being jailbroken again. I was dying without BiteSMS, but it's not flawless. Due to the system-level integration of iMessage, any texts between iPhones will still show up only in the Messages app, and not BiteSMS, which can make text strings look really disjointed. It's a minor issue, but hopefully they'll be able to get it to work together better.

Are you sure? Did you get the latest updated version?

afaik, the first beta for ios5 included imessage integration within bitesms. i never once needed to go back to messages (in fact, i hide it within the bitesms settings) to check imessages.

Ryu1999

I think that's a bug since iMessage works fine for bitesms on my iphone 4 running iOS 5.0

just jailbroke my friends iphone 4 using pwnage tool and the gevey sim works fine on 5.0.1. success!

now, the issue im having is with activation on another iphone 4, specifically a canadian one. i used pwnage tool to jailbreak and preserve the baseband, but now the problem is bypassing the activation screen. i thought pwnage tool could activate the phone no problem, but it looks like (after reading just now) that hacktivation is broken in this version and that i have to use redsn0w to activate it. can anyone tell/point me in the right direction on how to just only activate and preserve the baseband using redsn0w? ive never used redsn0w as i prefer and used pwnage tool all these years...

freshair

just jailbroke my friends iphone 4 using pwnage tool and the gevey sim works fine on 5.0.1. success!

now, the issue im having is with activation on another iphone 4, specifically a canadian one. i used pwnage tool to jailbreak and preserve the baseband, but now the problem is bypassing the activation screen. i thought pwnage tool could activate the phone no problem, but it looks like (after reading just now) that hacktivation is broken in this version and that i have to use redsn0w to activate it. can anyone tell/point me in the right direction on how to just only activate and preserve the baseband using redsn0w? ive never used redsn0w as i prefer and used pwnage tool all these years...

I've never used the hackivated method since it used to cause problems in the past. but do you have a spare Canadian sim laying around around? use that to get past the activation screen and then unlock

I've never used the hackivated method since it used to cause problems in the past. but do you have a spare Canadian sim laying around around? use that to get past the activation screen and then unlock

unfortunately i dont. the guy i got it from had it already activated on 4.3.5. i thought that once pwnage tool came out, it would be able to hacktivate just fine like it always has in the past. didnt see that hacktivation is broken in this version. :(

pretty much am going to have to pay $5 for a bell sim card, which is obviously way too much imo, but i have no choice at this point. unless if i can figure out redsn0w to activate, thats my only option.

Rengoku

And how do you get that? I used to use a Cydia app but last I checked it didn't work with iOS5.

I didn't consciously install any app to enable those status bar icons, but as it turns out, it's built into IntelliscreenX.

How do I integrate SBSettings into Notification Centre?

Currently, the only way I know how is to use IntelliscreenX to integrate SBSettings toggles into the Notification Centre. I'm not sure if Lockinfo has that feature as well, I believe the iOS 5 compatible version of Lockinfo is still in beta.

Rengoku

Anyone have any guide on how to upgrade an iPhone 3gs with baseband 6.15.00 with firmware 4.1 to 5.01?

In order to preserve your baseband, you will need to start off with this guide:

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Without Updating the Baseband (Windows) [5.0.1]
(Follow instructions from Step 1 to Step 16)

Then continue with this guide:

How to Perform an Untethered Jailbreak of Your iPhone 3GS (Windows) [5.0.1]
(Start from Step 3 here, and when asked to select the ipsw file, pick the NO_BB one you created earlier)

If you don't need to preserve your baseband, just follow the steps from the second guide.

Cr0wn0

Anyone having issues with any other apps after jailbreaking? Is that even a concern anymore? I know iBooks is having some issues but any others? Thanks

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
arg. just realized that iBooks doesn't launch now on my iPhone 4. this isn't a dealbreaker for me on that device, but it will stop me from jailbreaking my iPad2 if the issue isn't resolved before that jailbreak is released.

:(

freshair

unfortunately i dont. the guy i got it from had it already activated on 4.3.5. i thought that once pwnage tool came out, it would be able to hacktivate just fine like it always has in the past. didnt see that hacktivation is broken in this version. :(

pretty much am going to have to pay $5 for a bell sim card, which is obviously way too much imo, but i have no choice at this point. unless if i can figure out redsn0w to activate, thats my only option.

have you tried snow0breeze? apparently you can create a hacktivated custom ipsw (in expert mode) with it.

hyp

arg. just realized that iBooks doesn't launch now on my iPhone 4. this isn't a dealbreaker for me on that device, but it will stop me from jailbreaking my iPad2 if the issue isn't resolved before that jailbreak is released.

:(

same here, thatʻs a shame. i will definitely not be JBʻing my ipad 2 until a fix is released.

Borman

Fixes for iBooks should be coming. There were comments by one of the JB'ers saying that they had a hack that worked, but needed it to be cleaner.

linkboy

Anyone having issues with any other apps after jailbreaking? Is that even a concern anymore? I know iBooks is having some issues but any others? Thanks

My Safari stopped working this morning, would load and crash, load and crash.

I got an update to my Mobile Substrate and after I installed that, it started to crash.

I fixed it by uninstalling Mobile Substrate, which removed all of my jailbreak apps, but fixed Safari. I spent all morning re installing everything.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm new to jail breaking and stuff, but is there any way to increase the folder limit (say from 12 apps to 16)? Preferably for free, but whatever works best I guess.

Also, are there no multitouch gestures for iPhone/iPod like swipe three fingers up to show multitask bar, etc?

RedShift

Anyone else trying zephyr?

It lets you swipe up from the bottom to pull up the switcher, and swipe in from the sides to switch between apps in the same way the native multitasking gestures on iPad do. I've had a couple of false positives with it but I am enjoying it a lot, especially as my home button is way too shit for reliable double tapping.

linkboy

I'm new to jail breaking and stuff, but is there any way to increase the folder limit (say from 12 apps to 16)? Preferably for free, but whatever works best I guess.

Also, are there no multitouch gestures for iPhone/iPod like swipe three fingers up to show multitask bar, etc?

I use Infinifolders, and it works great. It costs a $1.99, but I think its worth it.

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone else trying zephyr?

It lets you swipe up from the bottom to pull up the switcher, and swipe in from the sides to switch between apps in the same way the native multitasking gestures on iPad do. I've had a couple of false positives with it but I am enjoying it a lot, especially as my home button is way too shit for reliable double tapping.
Hmm, this is a tough one. I think Activator is GREAT for swiping from the bottom to reveal the application switcher, but it has to no way switch between apps ala iPad (such as zephyr).

Personally, I like Activator better for the app switcher pull up, as it's a gesture and not an animation/fluid thing.

You would think zephyr would be better, but sometimes it isn't as quick/easy (esp on the home screen) as activator is. However, the sliding to switch makes it worth it, so I guess i'm with zephyr.

I use Infinifolders, and it works great. It costs a $1.99, but I think its worth it.
Yeah, i'm debating between this or FolderEnhancer. HOWEVER, I found out that you can have folders display 5 apps per row instead, but for some reason it isn't working with me. Anyone else give it a try?

Hopefully it's not incompatible with iOS 5... I'm already using the 5 apps in the switcher, but 5 for folders would be perfect to increase the item limit from 12 to 15.

Rengoku

Yeah, i'm debating between this or FolderEnhancer. HOWEVER, I found out that you can have folders display 5 apps per row instead, but for some reason it isn't working with me. Anyone else give it a try?

Hopefully it's not incompatible with iOS 5... I'm already using the 5 apps in the switcher, but 5 for folders would be perfect to increase the item limit from 12 to 15.

Huh? FolderEnhancer has always supported 16 apps per page (4 x 4). I'm using it now on iOS5, and it works perfectly.

ijm72

Seems bitesms is really useless if imessage is used the most. :(

iMessage works with bitesms perfectly. I was having a problem when I first jailbroke my phone but I just went into the phone settings and turned iMessage off and then on again. After that I just restarted my iPhone and everything was working fine.

noah111

Still Alive
Huh? FolderEnhancer has always supported 16 apps per page (4 x 4). I'm using it now on iOS5, and it works perfectly.
Yeah, it works, however if you ahem an app that allows five apps side-by-side instead, you could retain the folder layout of iOS 5 (slide/shelves style) instead of the other type of layout.

I got five icons in a folder working (have to disable another 5 icon tweak) but it looks horrible since it's not space properly as it is in the switch/task bar version.

I'm going to revert to FolderEnhancer though.. i'll miss iOS 5 slide out animation/shelve folders though, regardless.. :\

Also, i'm not liking zephyr anymore tbh, activator does a better job at sliding up to show the switch bar and i'm accidentally switching apps a lot with the slide left/right thing. Too bad.

Rengoku

Yeah, it works, however if you ahem an app that allows five apps side-by-side instead, you could retain the folder layout of iOS 5 (slide/shelves style) instead of the other type of layout.

I got five icons in a folder working (have to disable another 5 icon tweak) but it looks horrible since it's not space properly as it is in the switch/task bar version.

I'm going to revert to FolderEnhancer though.. i'll miss iOS 5 slide out animation/shelve folders though, regardless.. :\

Also, i'm not liking zephyr anymore tbh, activator does a better job at sliding up to show the switch bar and i'm accidentally switching apps a lot with the slide left/right thing. Too bad.

Hmm, yeah, the slide out animation is kinda cool.

I've been trying out the activator gesture to swipe up and reveal the switcher, but its kinda finicky, its not very responsive for some reason. I think I'll stick to using the home button for now. As for Zephyr, I haven't tried it yet, but I can already see that the app switching by sliding from left/right could cause problems with some apps I use that employ the same gesture to reveal additional menu items.

noah111

Still Alive
Hmm, yeah, the slide out animation is kinda cool.

I've been trying out the activator gesture to swipe up and reveal the switcher, but its kinda finicky, its not very responsive for some reason. I think I'll stick to using the home button for now. As for Zephyr, I haven't tried it yet, but I can already see that the app switching by sliding from left/right could cause problems with some apps I use that employ the same gesture to reveal additional menu items.
I had issues with activators slide up from the bottom edge too, but then I realized it works a bit differently from the notification center drop down.

Basically, don't slide your thumb from the iPhones bezel upward, just tap the lowest point on the phone and slide upward. I never miss it now.

Also, with zephyrs sliding issue it is often triggered accidentally when i'm scrolling through pictures that are lain out horizontally (i.e. app store preview pics) or volume/etc sliders.

If you update from 5.0 to 5.0.1 on the iPhone 4S the normal way will it update the baseband, or is there only one baseband for 4S so far?

At some point I would like to be able to unlock my 4S and if the 4 is any indication only the early baseband(s) will be unlockable, so I just wanted to make sure i'd be on my original baseband if I update

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF, none of my themes are working in Winterboard. Only Glasklart works and even still it's not optimized for iOS5. I'm on a 3GS.

I finally feel like 3GS users will be swept under the bus like 3G and OG owners have been by Apple when it comes to functionality and stuff we get at the end of the day. I primarily say this because after searching forever, I can find no SD themes that are compatible with iOS5 out. Anyone know of any? Because as someone who spends a lot of the time tweaking the UI to make it look pretty, with everyone doing HD themes and not much else, I don't think I'll even find an SD theme again even if it only themes the default apps.

EDIT: Also, any good iOS5 compatible sliders out there?

noah111

Still Alive
OK, I ended up biting it and getting this. Totally worth it, WAY better than anything else as it preserves the iOS folder animation/look (unlike folder enhancer). Vertical 'paged' scrolling is perfect, now I won't ever be bothered with 12 app folder limit. :) Infinidock is awesome as well even though I never thought I would be into it/use it. It's a great way to store extra apps you want to get to quicker, in a 'secret' or unseen fashion.

Also, apart from all my activator customizations, multifl0w is my most useful 'tweak' yet. I hold down the home button for less than half a second and this beauty comes up;

2012-01-02%20at%2012:18.png

Five icon switcher has also been a huge help, it just makes more sense;

2012-01-02%20at%2012:19.png

Never thought I was a JB type of guy bu so far it's been worth it, 100%.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do you know if there is an app on Cydia that allows to tweak the iPhone screen white balance? I broke my iPhone screen, had it changed but it is now yellow tinted. I need to add some blue tint to retrieve my previous colors. Any idea?

Top Bottom