• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

noah111

Still Alive
Which app do you get that message in?

What happens if you put it into dfu mode within iTunes? Does it detect it as in recovery?
I don't know, i've tried it with iTunes open and closed, no result. How can I know if the iPod has entered DFU mode from the iPod?

Oh and the app i'm using is 'redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b3' if that helps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're not entering DFU mode properly. You don't need anything but the iPod itself to enter DFU mode. No need to redsn0w, iTunes, nothing.

Connect your iPod to your Mac, turn it off, then start the DFU process.

Zephyr, after the second update, is just incredible. Still some instances where it isn't disabled when a keyboard pops up but other than that I'm loving it.

Also I recommend a tweak called SmoothCoverFlow that makes Cover Flow run smoothly, and also SpotRemover which removes Spotlight (I never use it).

noah111

Still Alive
You're not entering DFU mode properly. You don't need anything but the iPod itself to enter DFU mode. No need to redsn0w, iTunes, nothing.

Connect your iPod to your Mac, turn it off, then start the DFU process.
How shall I know it's entered DFU process when the application on my MBP says it hasn't worked? I'm doing everything right, don't know what's the issue here.

Zephyr, after the second update, is just incredible. Still some instances where it isn't disabled when a keyboard pops up but other than that I'm loving it.

Also I recommend a tweak called SmoothCoverFlow that makes Cover Flow run smoothly, and also SpotRemover which removes Spotlight (I never use it).
Thanks for that smooth cover flow, i'd love that. TBH I wish there was a cover flow enhancement tweak, cover flow just sucks ass at anything efficient. No next/prev options, no volume or scrubbing options etc.

I bought Zephyr but didn't really like it over activator, especially on the home screen. What'd the update improve?

just curious why you dont use spotlight? I love it

freshair

How shall I know it's entered DFU process when the application on my MBP says it hasn't worked? I'm doing everything right, don't know what's the issue here.

That is odd because you said you've jailbroken your ip4/ipad, so that would mean that you -do- know how to put the device into DFU mode.

Sometimes when you know that you device is in dfu mode and redsn0w doesn't see it immediately, you might have you remove/re-plug the usb cable.

noah111

Still Alive
That is odd because you said you've jailbroken your ip4/ipad, so that would mean that you -do- know how to put the device into DFU mode.

Sometimes when you know that you device is in dfu mode and redsn0w doesn't see it immediately, you might have you remove/re-plug the usb cable.
Yes, I have done this a few times actually, and unplugged my other USB as well (which was connected to my 3G internet so I was no longer online).

I'm going to try it again later today, hopefully it was just a quirk or something.

Cr0wn0

Every time I JB our devices it told me that same error. I hit ok or next and it did its thing. I jail broke 5 devices in the last 2 weeks and each one gave me that error before proceeding to jailbreak. * this was on windows 7

Thanks for that smooth cover flow, i'd love that. TBH I wish there was a cover flow enhancement tweak, cover flow just sucks ass at anything efficient. No next/prev options, no volume or scrubbing options etc.

I bought Zephyr but didn't really like it over activator, especially on the home screen. What'd the update improve?
There are a couple of bugs with SmoothCoverFlow that I've noticed, sometimes the song/album/artist at the top is off-center and sometimes the playback controls get hidden even if you don't tap on the artwork, I plan on contacting the dev to see if he can fix those. Yeah Cover Flow is pretty useless, but when I accidentally turn it on at least now the lag doesn't rape my eyes.

Zephyr, the multitasking bar opens much quicker for me on the home screen, it feels smoother as well. Also when switching apps you don't get a blurry image of them anymore. Plus now you can set it to be disabled when the keyboard is out and you can disable it in whatever apps you want.

just curious why you dont use spotlight? I love it
It's just one of those things I don't really have a reason for not using. On OS X the only thing I use spotlight for is opening apps, here on iOS all my apps are visible so I don't feel a need to use it. But I should be using it more since it would save me time.

noah111

Still Alive
There are a couple of bugs with SmoothCoverFlow that I've noticed, sometimes the song/album/artist at the top is off-center and sometimes the playback controls get hidden even if you don't tap on the artwork, I plan on contacting the dev to see if he can fix those. Yeah Cover Flow is pretty useless, but when I accidentally turn it on at least now the lag doesn't rape my eyes.

Zephyr, the multitasking bar opens much quicker for me on the home screen, it feels smoother as well. Also when switching apps you don't get a blurry image of them anymore. Plus now you can set it to be disabled when the keyboard is out and you can disable it in whatever apps you want.

It's just one of those things I don't really have a reason for not using. On OS X the only thing I use spotlight for is opening apps, here on iOS all my apps are visible so I don't feel a need to use it. But I should be using it more since it would save me time.
I'll look into Zephyr, but just wanted to say i'm the same with spotlight. I just never do it, go to a separate screen to search something. Even though it would be so much quicker to get a song, I usually open the app, scroll to the artist, album then song. I should try using it more, especially for music and contact locating.

Wow. Why didn't anyone tell me that f.lux is available on Cydia? It's by far my favorite PC application and made my work and surf sessions at night much more pleasant. Having it now on my iPad is a bliss. Not that the lowest brightness setting wasn't good enough, but the actual change of the color temp does help. Great stuff and I'll miss it on my iPad 3.

Blackhead

Redarse
How many apps do you have? I've used all 11 pages so there are apps I can't even see and then there are apps in folders that dont show up when I'm scrolling past. I'll be dammed if I waste any time organizing that mess even though I only know the location of the apps in my dock and the onthe front page. I use** two tweaks to make Spotlight more useful:
List Launcher -- shows an alphabetical list on the spotlight screen of all installed apps
WebLeaps -- launch various web searches (not just wikipedia and google) from Spotlight and Safari

**List Launcher isnt working on 5.0.1. last time I checked. I actually had a couple more useful Spotlight tweaks but they've been abandoned by the developers over the years :/

I'll look into Zephyr, but just wanted to say i'm the same with spotlight. I just never do it, go to a separate screen to search something. Even though it would be so much quicker to get a song, I usually open the app, scroll to the artist, album then song. I should try using it more, especially for music and contact locating.
Use Activator to direct the single home button press to always lead to Spotlight instead of any random page/folder on Springboard or

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wow. Why didn't anyone tell me that f.lux is available on Cydia? It's by far my favorite PC application and made my work and surf sessions at night much more pleasant. Having it now on my iPad is a bliss. Not that the lowest brightness setting wasn't good enough, but the actual change of the color temp does help. Great stuff and I'll miss it on my iPad 3.
Speaking of iPad 3, whats the best source to keep track of the upgrade regarding news and rumors? I really want one and want to know everything about it that gets released

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Asking again, any iOS5 compatible sliders out there? Or any iOS5 compatible themes? Seems like every theme is lacking a newsstand icon.

Asking again, any iOS5 compatible sliders out there? Or any iOS5 compatible themes? Seems like every theme is lacking a newsstand icon.

Check macthemes or modmyi. Or better yet grab dreamboard and dont look back.

You could always make your own. Im thinking about starting my own skin this week or next.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Check macthemes or modmyi. Or better yet grab dreamboard and dont look back.

You could always make your own. Im thinking about starting my own skin this week or next.
I usually frequent Macthemes every once in a while, but nobody makes SD themes for the 3GS anymore. Everything is HD, had a rant about it in this thread earlier.

I would most certainly make my own theme if I had the time, used to skin my iPod video way back with iPodWizard and it was pretty satisfying.

God, this whole jailbreaking things pisses me off like nothing else. So my phone was on tethered til now, and of course it dies on me through the night for some reason so my phone was bricked all day. I get home and DL 5.0.1 finally for untethered, everything goes smoothly until I have to restore from backup and now my phone is stuck in a restore from backup loop where it would go through the restore only to show me the "restore from backup" option screen once the phone has been "restored", just went through like 7 gigs on HDD trying to restore this fucking thing, and I don't know what to do. This never EVER seems to go smoothly for me :l

Cr0wn0

Does anyone use iblacklist? I am curious if I can set it up to only accept calls from certain people at certain times of the day. Like I want to accept and hear the phone ring whenever my wife calls but if an unknown number calls me at 7am it will be silent. Anyone that has registered it, can you register multiple devices with one key or is it one registration per purchase? Anything better then iblacklist? Thanks

noah111

Still Alive
OK so i'm fucked here. I was downloading three tweaks I had in my queue through Cydia, and at the Installing phase my internet connection cut off, and it just stayed there 'installing' forever.

So eventually, after trying to lock or reboot or do anything, I had to hold home+lock to force shut down. Nothing else I could've done that I know of, but it was a big mistake as now the iPhone isn't booting.

It's just stuck at the apple logo screen. I've tried a few things through redsn0w like tethered boot and all that, nothing works, it just stays there. What the fuck do I do?

Please help, kinda screwed here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OK so i'm fucked here. I was downloading three tweaks I had in my queue through Cydia, and at the Installing phase my internet connection cut off, and it just stayed there 'installing' forever.

So eventually, after trying to lock or reboot or do anything, I had to hold home+lock to force shut down. Nothing else I could've done that I know of, but it was a big mistake as now the iPhone isn't booting.

It's just stuck at the apple logo screen. I've tried a few things through redsn0w like tethered boot and all that, nothing works, it just stays there. What the fuck do I do?

Please help, kinda screwed here.
Plug into a different USB port or PC, or hold home button as you plug it into your USB cable (while it's off).

I've had this issue before many times, not sure what exactly did the tricks but those were some diagnostics I believe proved helpful. You kind of forget what fixes what when you come across so many jailbreaking issues.

noah111

Still Alive
Plug into a different USB port or PC, or hold home button as you plug it into your USB cable (while it's off).

I've had this issue before many times, not sure what exactly did the tricks but those were some diagnostics I believe proved helpful. You kind of forget what fixes what when you come across so many jailbreaking issues.
Damn. That brings up the connect to iTunes screen, and from there I need to restore.

Don't even remember last time I did a backup, but hell hope it works. Thanks!

noah111

Still Alive
FUCK. It didn't work, I got this;

pressed ok and restored from a .psw iOS5 file i have, and then get this;

What do I do now? It's just sitting there with the Apple logo trying to boot for an hour.

Damn this is a bitch...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FUCK. It didn't work, I got this;

pressed ok and restored from a .psw iOS5 file i have, and then get this;

What do I do now? It's just sitting there with the Apple logo trying to boot for an hour.

Damn this is a bitch...

Can't you just let iTunes restore to the latest itself instead of picking an ipsw? Assuming its still 5.0.1 and jailbreakable.

noah111

Still Alive
Can't you just let iTunes restore to the latest itself instead of picking an ipsw? Assuming its still 5.0.1 and jailbreakable.
The ipsw i'm using is just the iOS 5.0 original I got before jail breaking, a while back. But yeah, looks like i'll just have to DL it again.

I didn't want to go that route since i'm on a 3G connection and would rather not DL 800MB or whatever for no good reason. I'll report back and see if it works, really hope it does or else i'm royally fucked.

And man, it's going to be hard remembering all those tweaks I got. :lol Also, when I restore from my last back up, which I did when I was Jailbroken, do I need to be JB'd or not for it to work?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The ipsw i'm using is just the iOS 5.0 original I got before jail breaking, a while back. But yeah, looks like i'll just have to DL it again.

I didn't want to go that route since i'm on a 3G connection and would rather not DL 800MB or whatever for no good reason. I'll report back and see if it works, really hope it does or else i'm royally fucked.

And man, it's going to be hard remembering all those tweaks I got. :lol Also, when I restore from my last back up, which I did when I was Jailbroken, do I need to be JB'd or not for it to work?

Well after you restore, it'll ask you if you wanna restore from which back up, in which case you choose the latest one you may have. Jailbreaking happens after that all, and your best to wait for everything to sync back to your phone before you try screwing around again.

It's a pain in the ass, I know. I had to do it twice for 5.0.1 :|

noah111

Still Alive
On a different topic, the video player isn't opening up in my jailbroken iPad. It was working before, but now when I open up the video app it just sits there.

I have over 7GB's of video in there, and i've tried syncing them again and it didn't do anything..

Help?

I recently jailbroke my phone specifically for Zephyr. It's so good and it makes you wonder why it's not already there in the first place. chpwn has said that an update that'll include a 'go to homescreen' gesture will be out soon.

Buzzati

Banned
I keep checking this thread, hoping the iPad 2 has been set free. Alas.

Untethered iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak For iPhone 4S And iPad 2 Release Imminent

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/01/untethered-ios-5-0-1-jailbreak-for-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-release-imminent.html said:
The jailbreak dream team have managed to successfully break the sandbox that had prevented pod2G from releasing an untethered jailbreak publicly.

This means that the eagerly awaited untethered iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 users is imminent. In fact, pod2G says it "should be a matter of days".

Having only had my iPad 2 for a few weeks what are the best jailbreak apps for the device? I'm familiar with the iPhone jailbreak apps but not the iPad.

If you're a sports fan then the best thing is probably fakelocation, I use it to get rid of blackouts in the sports apps among other things.

smoothj

I'm almost sure you can't do this but just wanting a definite answer since it's for my boss..

If I have an unlocked AT&T iphone 4 or 4s could I use it on the Verizon network?

I know that one uses GSM and the other CDMA so this shouldn't work. My boss has his doubts and I just want to give him the right answer with facts as to why.

Thanks gaf.

noah111

Still Alive
Finally got my phone working again today.

I have a question though, how can I add a custom boot image, to replace that Apple logo that appears on start-up? I want to change it to this (my personal initials), for example;

Is that possible? Anyway, it's gonna be hard tracking down everything I DL'd all over again...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you jailbreak using something like Sn0wbreeze it can do it WHEN you jailbreak, but other than that I don't know how. Isn't it just a static image? Google around, perhaps you can just replace the boot image found in some directory or another.

freshair

I'm almost sure you can't do this but just wanting a definite answer since it's for my boss..

If I have an unlocked AT&T iphone 4 or 4s could I use it on the Verizon network?

I know that one uses GSM and the other CDMA so this shouldn't work. My boss has his doubts and I just want to give him the right answer with facts as to why.

Thanks gaf.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for the iphone 4, I believe Apple produced 2 different versions of it. One for ATT and one for Verizon.

With the 4S though, the chipset supports both GSM and CDMA and it's only one device, regardless of carrier. So assuming you have a 4S (factory or carrier unlocked), I think it is possible to bring it from one carrier to the other.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for the iphone 4, I believe Apple produced 2 different versions of it. One for ATT and one for Verizon.

With the 4S though, the chipset supports both GSM and CDMA and it's only one device, regardless of carrier. So assuming you have a 4S (factory or carrier unlocked), I think it is possible to bring it from one carrier to the other.

It is definitely one device, but I don't think you can bring it over to Verizon or Sprint from At&t, I think you can just unlock it and use it on other GSM carriers.

noah111

Still Alive
So it happened, AGAIN. I was downloading (re-DLing actually) some tweaks and it got stuck on the installing phase. I'm pretty sure it's the same tweak this happened to me last time, too.

I had three or so in the queue so I don't know the specific one, but there was no way out of it. I couldn't sync the phone, it wouldn't respond in any way, and it just sat there in cydia on the installing screen.

FFS, restoring again now, but what the hell. I definitely won't be attempting to DL those tweaks again, as I think one of them were the culprit (switcher board or switcher pro or something something switcher).

Anyway, my question now is this; Is there ANY way to have all the tweaks i've DL'd in some sort of 'saved' file with an account on cydia or something, so I login and have a queue of all my past downloads?

Would make this shit a million times easier, I hate having to re-download all these tweaks and apps, as well as reconfigure each to my previous preferences. *sigh*

So it happened, AGAIN. I was downloading (re-DLing actually) some tweaks and it got stuck on the installing phase. I'm pretty sure it's the same tweak this happened to me last time, too.

I had three or so in the queue so I don't know the specific one, but there was no way out of it. I couldn't sync the phone, it wouldn't respond in any way, and it just sat there in cydia on the installing screen.

FFS, restoring again now, but what the hell. I definitely won't be attempting to DL those tweaks again, as I think one of them were the culprit (switcher board or switcher pro or something something switcher).

Anyway, my question now is this; Is there ANY way to have all the tweaks i've DL'd in some sort of 'saved' file with an account on cydia or something, so I login and have a queue of all my past downloads?

Would make this shit a million times easier, I hate having to re-download all these tweaks and apps, as well as reconfigure each to my previous preferences. *sigh*

You really shouldn't go about installing tweaks in one go. It simply breaks something here and there. For example Ive removed Winterboard because it simply makes the phone sluggish. Install two to three at a time. Having more than 20 tweaks running puts a lot of strain on the phone.
I take snapshots of the installed programs in the packages section before restore/upgrade. Sounds stupid but its saved me a lot of hassle in the long run.

noah111

Still Alive
^Yeah, I shouldn't queue that shit all at once, but it saves time. And tbh I don't have too many tweaks, I don't think. Good idea for the screen capping packages page, I'll start doing that now.

Blackhead

Redarse
^Yeah, I shouldn't queue that shit all at once, but it saves time. And tbh I don't have too many tweaks, I don't think. Good idea for the screen capping packages page, I'll start doing that now.

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/09...plications-games-settings-jailbreak-required/

http://www.iphoneleaks.net/2011/12/...ppealing-jailbreak-backup-solutions-on-cydia/

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-iphone-cydia-apps-with-pkgbackup/2011/01/10

I've had good experiences with pkgbackup (and some horrible restores as well). The rule of thumb is dont restore backups across firmware upgrades. But if you've already checked to make sure all the tweaks are working, or you're on the same firmware on which the backup was made, then it's worth the risk (if you have time...)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/09...plications-games-settings-jailbreak-required/

http://www.iphoneleaks.net/2011/12/...ppealing-jailbreak-backup-solutions-on-cydia/

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-iphone-cydia-apps-with-pkgbackup/2011/01/10

I've had good experiences with pkgbackup (and some horrible restores as well). The rule of thumb is dont restore backups across firmware upgrades. But if you've already checked to make sure all the tweaks are working, or you're on the same firmware on which the backup was made, then it's worth the risk (if you have time...)
Just want to chime in here and say that don't use AptBackup. I relied on it for a while but from iOS4 forward it just didn't work and fucked up my Cydia every single time causing me to do the entire jailbreak process again once over. Don't use AptBackup. Can't cosign any of the rest either cause I haven't used 'em. I don't use that many tweaks anyways, so I figured it was a waste of time.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
after jailbreaking my iphone 4, the battery life has deceased. anyone else ?

after jailbreaking my iphone 4, the battery life has deceased. anyone else ?

Jailbreaking shouldn't have any effect other than just booting Cydia during initial boot of your iOS device. My battery life has actually increased a lot over stock, even with My3G, BiteSMS, and SBSettings.

Top Bottom