• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

ChanHuk

Banned
What's the best app for tethering?

MyWi, cost a pretty penny $20 and whoever your provider is other than Sprint will find out that you are tethering and send you a nice letter in the mail.

Multicleaner is one great app, it replaces the springbar so all you have to do to "close" an app is flick it off the screen instead of holding the icon and x-ing it out.

JackEtc

MyWi, cost a pretty penny $20 and whoever your provider is other than Sprint will find out that you are tethering and send you a nice letter in the mail.

Why everyone but Sprint? I have a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited plan, am I okay to use MyWi (once I jailbreak)?

bob page

Multicleaner is one great app, it replaces the springbar so all you have to do to "close" an app is flick it off the screen instead of holding the icon and x-ing it out.

I have Sprint so I'm assuming I won't have to worry about any notices unless I really, really abuse it?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Alright, I've got a Absinthe on the iPad, but after hitting it I get a blank white screen with a perpetual loading circle.

What do?

Cth

Alright, I've got a Absinthe on the iPad, but after hitting it I get a blank white screen with a perpetual loading circle.

What do?

Have you tried this?

Launch “Settings” and tap on “Network”
Tap on VPN and turn to “ON” and ignore the error
Reboot the device
Launch Absinthe again

EDIT:
It could be the server getting slammed.. keep trying?

EDIT 2:
Make sure all pass codes and locks are set to OFF
Run the jailbreak again from the start
Then DO NOT RUN ABSINTHE FROM YOUR IPAD2 OR IPHONE 4S – just do the VPN trick again.
You don’t actually need to run the Absinthe icon from your device!

(just posting what I've read elsewhere)

EDIT 3:
If it's a slammed server issue, there's a modified build by Chronic Dev Team that points it to greenpois0n instead of the absinthe page.

WanderingWind

Have you tried this?

Launch “Settings” and tap on “Network”
Tap on VPN and turn to “ON” and ignore the error
Reboot the device
Launch Absinthe again

Yeah, sure did. Now it's just a blank white screen. :/

EDIT: Hopefully it's a server thing.

WanderingWind

Progress! Now it says

"Cannot open Absinthe. Absinthe could not open because the server stopped responding."

Just overloaded, I'm guessing?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rejailbreak with cydia unchecked in redsnow or install this package:

K7GAc.png
Thanks man!

jailbroke my sprint 4S. have everything back to the way it is on my at&t iphone 4. had to actually modify a few stuff to get it working in ios5 but everything works perfectly now.

windows version is coming in a few hours says ip4pwn.

im never ever upgrading from 5.0, and also to another iphone for that matter. i learned my lesson lol...

JackEtc

Taking way too long for the Windows version to come out
LLShC.gif

Have half a mind to VMWare OSX and jailbreak. Release the Windows program already!

Shaneus

Two quick questions:
The PC I sync/backup my iPhone to is my work one, and I'm (obviously, given it's Saturday arvo) at home. Have there been any reports of this screwing phones up to the point of needing a restore?

The other one: Given we know that the A5 has been downclocked from it's iPad 2 stepbrother, is it realistic to expect an unsigned app to allow the 4S to run at full speed a la the PSP?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So if I jailbreak my phone, I shouldn't have any issues using Itunes and syncing it through Itunes?

So if I jailbreak my phone, I shouldn't have any issues using Itunes and syncing it through Itunes?

not at all! sync normally, do whatever you like!

shaneus - nope, not that i know of. cant overclock the cpu in any idevice (ipod touch, iphone, ipad). its clocked at around 800mhz for the iphone and ipod touch, but its definitely 1ghz (probably underclocked when the cores arent in use) in the A4/A5 ipad.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Well jailbreaking it was easy enough. I've checked out the apps in the OP, but aside from that I'm not really sure what to check out. I didn't really have a need to jailbreak it in the first place.

Agent_J

the only thing i like jail breaking my phone for is sbsettings. swiping the status bar to turn on/off the wifi/bluetooth/ etc is such a time saver!

TheContact

just jailbroke with windows too using cmd. I'm not good with cmd so anyone can do it.

so this is for iphone 4s or ipad 2 on version 5.0.1

first download this and extract to a desktop in a folder.

then download this. also install this to desktop.

Follow these steps here:

1) Connect your iPad/iPhone into your PC and make sure you take off any kind of password lock or sleep timer.

2) Click inside the /payloads folder of the cinject_0.4.3.zip file you downloaded and double click the jailbreak.mobileconfig file to import it into iphone config utility

3) the program will open on your desktop, and you should see the name of your iPhone/iPad listed in lower left hand corner, click it

4) Then click on 'configuration profiles' tab and hit the install button on jailbreak.

5) Look on your phone. Hit the install button and follow the steps. When it asks for a password, just ignore it and hit next.

6) On your PC, hit start menu, in search box type (without quotes) "cmd". Then dos window will open up. Now (again, never use quotes) type "cd desktop" then hit enter. then type "cd cinject_0.4.3". (note that this was the zip file name, if you renamed the folder, you need to type in whatever you named it as)
( If you did this step right, you won't get an error message and your line should say C:\Users\nameofpc\Desktop\cinject_0.4.3> )

7) make sure your iphone/pad is at the home screen then type "cinject.exe -i payloads/jailbreak.mobileconfig" and hit enter

8) Look at your phone to make sure it's installed. If not, just do it again.

9) On your PC, back on your cmd window, type "cinject.exe -j payloads" and hit enter. some text should scroll and after a bit it should backup, restore, and give you a message about pod2g and tells you to type in...

10) "cinject.exe -w" so do that, and hit enter. now your cmd screen is going to go haywire and tell you a bunch of error messages and spam and timeouts, just ignore it. look on your device, and go back to your settings screen. look for the "VPN" option right under WiFI (it's not normally there) and tap it. Now just wait. You will get an error on your phone, this is normal. Don't touch anything and let it crash. Your device will reboot and eventually when it starts back up it will have Cydia. It might look like it's freezing but just have a little patience and it will boot up.

Enjoy

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have an iPad2 Wi-Fi, is jailbreaking safe following carfo's instructions, can I still use all the official stuff, and itunes, without issues, and what's an example of something cool I can do (as in, specific awesome apps outside retina pad, I saw people are working on porting Baldur's Gate, which I'd be all over if I hadn't done a playthrough very recently) after jailbreaking, thanks :)

TheContact

I have an iPad2 Wi-Fi, is jailbreaking safe following carfo's instructions, can I still use all the official stuff, and itunes, without issues, and what's an example of something cool I can do (as in, specific awesome apps outside retina pad, I saw people are working on porting Baldur's Gate, which I'd be all over if I hadn't done a playthrough very recently) after jailbreaking, thanks :)

Well on IRC I walked 4 people through those instructions, 2 figured it out after some troubleshooting and 2 kept getting errors they couldn't get past and I didn't know how to fix it for them. It doesn't harm the phone at all and there's no need to stick it in dfu mode or anything so it couldn't hurt to try. Really though people should just wait for the official gui. I'm just an impatient bastard.

Cth

Instructions are easy enough, it's the waiting that's the hard part.

EDIT:
Fixed! Ended up having to restore.

Buzzati

Banned
The Windows jailbreak cinject tool doesn't seem to be working for me. When I go to toggle "VPN On", it prompts "A configuration error occurred."

Anyone else get this error?

JackEtc

I followed carfo's instructions, and I have Cydia now. Looks like everything is working. Although, wasn't I supposed to have an Absinthe app on my phone at some point? I never did.

TheContact

I followed carfo's instructions, and I have Cydia now. Looks like everything is working. Although, wasn't I supposed to have an Absinthe app on my phone at some point? I never did.

Absinthe is an app that just installs Cydia in the mac method. This way bypasses that step (sort of) and just installs Cydia without the need to create the Absinthe app.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
7) make sure your iphone/pad is at the home screen then type "cinject.exe -i payloads/jailbreak.mobileconfig" and hit enter

I just get a "result too large" error at this step. :(

EDIT: I disconnected the cable, put it back, and it's going now.
Doing that command it wanted to install the Jailbreak profile again. I had to remove the one installed from the Mobile program first to install it.
I have no idea what I'm doing, just letting it run now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nope, get this after doing the -j command "FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (1266): got == sizeof(size)
1266"

I'll just wait.

Top Bottom