• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Majine

Banned
I was hoping there would be a jailbreak tweak that allowed Safari to have the dark style of private browsing, without the private browsing. Haven't found anything yet. Anyone know?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Guess I've got no idea what I'm doing, I did a search for scummvm on cydia and it came up with urban fanatics source or whatever and I click to install and it just says getting release, packages, release, packages, end (or finish, again roughly translating) packages, endlessly then stops doing anything at all with the progress bar filling up veeery slowly if at all but still has the loading icon. Is that the way to acquire an app, or a source to then acquire apps from or what, lol, I'm clueless...

Edit: ok it finally finished and it worked and I guess I was right, it's a source to get apps from, and now it shows me the actual scummvm program too when I search and I'm downloading... Well, just while testing stuff, I don't have many games for scummvm I didn't already finish recently, I'd rather find dosbox since I've got x-com, syndicate and gabriel knight to finish...

Edit: now I've deleted the actual scummvm app with cydelete (which took many tries to install right too) and I'm trying to remove the source from cydia and it's taking ages to do that too... Is this how stuff usually (don't) work or is it getting hammered cos everyone's checking out the stuff on newly jb devices?

traveling overseas soon - have an at&t iphone 4s.

is it possible to unlock it for international use?

apologies if this has already been discussed in thread - google results came up with an unreliable t-mo sim card method.

Majine

Banned
traveling overseas soon - have an at&t iphone 4s.

is it possible to unlock it for international use?

apologies if this has already been discussed in thread - google results came up with an unreliable t-mo sim card method.

Wasn't one of 4Ss main features that it was a world phone?

Dammi, Plants Vs. Zombies is the only game that crashes when using RetinaPad. I guess it is not supported. =(

I can run other apps just fine though. Final Fantasy Tactics plays well, and no crashes whatsoever.

Gaaraz

"Absinthe is now setting things up..."

Just trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 because I'm desperate for Retina Pad, but unfortunately I get the above message on my screen seemingly having left it for even 15 minutes or so.

Is this normal? I've tried the VPN trick to no avail...

Any other suggestions would be very welcome, thanks!

Is it possible to load different OS's on a jailbroken iPad? Specifically Windows, Linux, or even Android OS?

It's possible on the iPhone 3G and prior to install an android port. I don't think anything post 3G has any other OS possibilities. You could use DreamBoard and theme to look like XP, 7, OS X, Android and more.

Absinthe stops working in the middle of the process, and just quits the program for me. Anyone know what to do?

The reason mine kept crashing was because I put the icon in the folder with the rest of the stuff that came in the zip. When I removed it and ran the program from my desktop it finished perfectly.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
To those of you (especially new users) complaining about Cydia troubles, please note that it's very common for Cydia to be hammered to death upon the release of a new major (that is, untethered) jailbreak. This is especially true when support is added for new and popular devices. Considering that this is the first untethered JB available for both the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S (and I guess the new gen of iPod Touches), it's not a surprise that Cydia is buckling.

Be patient, and don't forget that you need a successful refresh of sources before most of the goodies will show up in Cydia and be installable.

Gaaraz

"Absinthe is now setting things up..."

Just trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 because I'm desperate for Retina Pad, but unfortunately I get the above message on my screen seemingly having left it for even 15 minutes or so.

Is this normal? I've tried the VPN trick to no avail...

Any other suggestions would be very welcome, thanks!
No one else had this problem? Would I be okay to jailbreak my iPhone and iPad on my girlfriend's Macbook by the way, even though my iTunes library is on my desktop?

ChanHuk

Banned
So I'm trying to restore back to factory settings (I'm on 5.0)

Downloaded the 5.0 firmware from macrumors link and when I hit restore it says my phone isn't eligible for requested build. Am I shit outta luck and have to restore to 5.0.1?

So I'm trying to restore back to factory settings (I'm on 5.0)

Downloaded the 5.0 firmware from macrumors link and when I hit restore it says my phone isn't eligible for requested build. Am I shit outta luck and have to restore to 5.0.1?

Unless you saved your SHSH blobs from 5.0, Apple won't let you restore to any firmware but 5.0.1. 5.0 is no longer signed, sorry.

No one else had this problem? Would I be okay to jailbreak my iPhone and iPad on my girlfriend's Macbook by the way, even though my iTunes library is on my desktop?

Did you check your device? There should be an Absinthe icon there. You have to open it.

Also, while I did make a backup before jailbreaking. I didn't have to restore anything, that's just in case.

Does anyone have issues with hidden icons not staying hidden when using sbssettings? It seems like after a while the hidden icons option stops working and I have to respring.

Don't like everyone is saying RetinaPad is broken.
That was going to be my number 1 reason to jb. Hopefully it's fixed.

Eh. The only games that have problems (at least to me so far) are Plants Vs. Zombies and Angry Birds. Final Fantasy Tactics looks pretty good and no problems whatsoever, except for the horrible camera, but that's another thing... :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I really wasn't expecting the apps on Cydia to be so expensive, or even to cost money. It's a bit weird. RetinaPad is 3 bucks, iFile is 4... Seems a lot of money for a simple product like that.

What other cool stuff is there that I should be looking to as a new JB user?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does anyone have issues with hidden icons not staying hidden when using sbssettings? It seems like after a while the hidden icons option stops working and I have to respring.
You pretty much always have to respring after hiding icons using SBSettings anyways. If you don't you also have a chance of a bunch of the template icons or whatever they're called popping up as well like AdSheet, etc. For mine they pop up right away after hiding an icon.

Anyone else using dreamboard themes? I'm using GyroHD2 and its pretty sweet.

I'm using Metro 8 advanced. It's pretty sweet once your sort out the icons and whatnot (I replaced the windows icon with the apple rainbow). I'm using Muzik as the main music app and it fits so well. Gyro HD looks nice, reminds of pulse reader.

Here's some screens of the setup

Fliyg.png
JxIdQ.png
pvBC3.png

gv2HS.png
WuH8z.png
2s3Cb.png

Dez

I'm finding my apps a lot less stable under the jailbreak on my 4s with minimal stuff installed. Beejive and Facebook seem to be crashing a lot more often now...the jailbreak isnt as necessary with ios5 anyway. I think I'll update to 5.1 when it comes out without waiting.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Amazing. Do you hide the apps that don't have custom icons?

I'm not using the ones I haven't made/found icons for yet, but in a way this helps me clean up and organize, I only want to have the apps that I truly use, many apps that I barely ever use. Plus, there's an 'apps' section with all your apps on it. Great theme, always loved the look of metro and this is very well made.

TTG

Anyone know how I can transfer music from my ipod touch to my pc? My ipod is old and damaged enough to warrant a replacement, but I'd much rather get my stuff off it first. My hdd crapped out on me a while back, so I don't have a back up at all anymore. Any ideas for what might work? If at all possible, I'd rather go with a tried and tested method, since I have no back up at all. Thanks.

I'm not using the ones I haven't made/found icons for yet, but in a way this helps me clean up and organize, I only want to have the apps that I truly use, many apps that I barely ever use. Plus, there's an 'apps' section with all your apps on it. Great theme, always loved the look of metro and this is very well made.

Kind of makes me want to do it, but the iPad doesn't get many benefits from Jailbreaking (IMO) compared to the iPhone/iPod Touch. Probably since I treat it like a laptop/netbook, and don't carry it everywhere.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh jeez, RetinaPad is a piece of shit. Tried PacMan CE and 1-Bit Ninja and both of those crash on launch. What a waste of money. FFT seems to work though, that'll save me a lot of money in the long run.

Oh jeez, RetinaPad is a piece of shit. Tried PacMan CE and 1-Bit Ninja and both of those crash on launch. What a waste of money. FFT seems to work though, that'll save me a lot of money in the long run.

If you read the description in Cydia, it says most apps. Seems like most apps are the ones we'd like to run.

jliu26

Neo Member

I have the same experience, almost every one of iphone games crash on startup, I believe that's caused by incompatibility with Game Center, I signed out of Game Center and all of them started working. Hopefully a fix will come out soon, I'd rather play with Game Center on..

I have the same experience, almost every one of iphone games crash on startup, I believe that's caused by incompatibility with Game Center, I signed out of Game Center and all of them started working. Hopefully a fix will come out soon, I'd rather play with Game Center on..
I just did this. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

No wonder Final Fantasy Tactics works without problems. That doesn't have game center support. This need a fix, terribly bad.

I'm looking into jail breaking my Verizon iPhone 4, 99% of the reason why is to unlock the wifi hotspot functionality.

What should I know?

- best app to do this?(MyWi? PDnet? TeherMe?)
- are there any difficulties with this I should know of?

Also, what guide should i follow?

Thanks

Psy-Phi

Wow at this find. What made you think of that? I'm so happy to now be able to play Tiny Wings...except it still looks like poop. Really wish the dev would release an iPad version. Thanks though, now I know what to do when it crashes.

And also hope the RetinaPad dev will be able to fix it. Going to write an e-mail right now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

That explains it.
The game will still work if RetinaPad is disabled right?

That explains it.
The game will still work if RetinaPad is disabled right?

The Cave iPhone games work fine once they're disabled in RetinaPad. And it definitely seems to crash due to Game Center. Hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

EDIT: There's an update out for RetinaPad now and it fixes the Game Center problems for me. No more crashes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the way, if anyone is getting stuck on the "Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while..." step, it's because Absinthe is choking on the size of data on your phone. You'll have to backup, restore to factory default, and restore from backup. It's relatively painless, but just takes a little time. Everything can be back to normal.

Just follow the instructions here on how to do that:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1312451

ChanHuk

Banned
Unless you saved your SHSH blobs from 5.0, Apple won't let you restore to any firmware but 5.0.1. 5.0 is no longer signed, sorry.

I'm guessing its too late to save my SHSH blobs? I guess I'm stuck on a faulty jailbreak unless I want to upgrade to 5.0.1.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are there any jb apps that help identify or delete whatever is taking up "other" space in my iPad2? I've got no clue what it is, I don't have any apps that take files iPad may not recognise, all my videos/pictures/music/books are for the default apps still.

Edit: I even did a backup/restore as was suggested online (the problem seems quite common) and it didn't fix it.
Edit: actually, that process increased "other" as it was 0.82 GB and now it's 0.83...
Edit: now it's 0.81, I guess it flunctuates a bit at first...
Edit: and back to 0.82 after I deleted Broken Sword, buh...

jliu26

Neo Member
The Cave iPhone games work fine once they're disabled in RetinaPad. And it definitely seems to crash due to Game Center. Hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

EDIT: There's an update out for RetinaPad now and it fixes the Game Center problems for me. No more crashes.

Yep, I can confirm the latest version (1.2.6) fixed the crashing problem with Game Center..

Munin

Ever since I jailbroke my 4S a few days ago the App Store got really confused somehow...so the problem is that originally I had used 2 different Appstore accounts to get apps, so I got a couple apps with the first one and then switched to another one for everything else after due to some payment stuff.

But now if I want to update the apps I bought with my 2nd account on the App Store, I get a message saying "This discounted price is only available to customers who own a previous version of this item. To purchase this item at full price, click Buy". If I click "Buy" then, it prompts me for the password of the 1st account, with which I had not bought the item.

However, when I check both in the Appstore app directly and in Settings, I am logged in with the 2nd account, the one that made the purchases in question, so I don't get why I even get that prompt.

In any case before the jailbreak I was able to update apps for both accounts just fine...and now it's fucked up like this. I would appreciate any help.

knitoe

Just JB my 4S and IPad 2. They sure got things down now. Just click a button and wait compare to when I first started with launched 3GS.

Top Bottom