• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Dwayne

FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (1029): stat(path, &fstat)==0
Will wait until I don't have to wipe my data and settings.

So I'm trying that file, and when it gets to the part where it is supposed to jail break, the program crashes. I'm on windows 7 64bit. The ultimate edition.

Any suggestions? I ran it as an admin on the 2nd try, same shit.

Psy-Phi

Just jailbreaked my iPad. Pretty painless, now apart from RetinaPad and SBSettings, dunno what else to get.

One of the background app killers to quickly free memory.
WeeKillBackground -- lets you kill all apps in one fell swoop through the notification area.
-or-
Remove Background SBSettings -- same deal, but adds a button to SBSettings instead.
-or-
KillBackground -- adds a red badge in the task switcher tray bottom left that does the same

CyDelete -- so you can delete stuff installed from Cydia the normal way (wiggling icons with an X)

ManualCorrect -- so you can change hte function of the (IMO) furiating auto-correct. Now if you want to change it, you tap the changed word, instead of hitting the word to deny the change.

MultiIconMover -- if you like to arrange multiple icons at a time, this is for you. I love it and have missed it. But I'm an organization freak.

NoNewsIsGoodNews -- because News Stand annoys the hell out of me too. I hate that I cant tuck it in my Apple App folder. This makes the news apps just install as seperate apps instead (so if you use NY Times or The Daily, you can still use them, they just won't be in "newsstand" folder.

Hmm, every 2x app I'm using crashes when I installed RetinaPad.

Same trouble with Tiny Wings. But Data Deposit, Spotify, Memovator, Arachnadoodle, Japanese, Beat It! work as well as a number of other Japanese and Chinese reference material. Just seems to be Tiny Wings for me, but even on iOS4 Tiny Wings was a problem.

There's another app called FullForce, which is free. It doesn't use Retina mode (so far as I understand it) but it does expand iPhone apps to full screen on the iPad, so probably some sort of pixel doubling (3GS rez x2 so to speak).

It kinda just crashes every time I try to use it...

If you haven't already, try removing Skype and reinstalling it. Their app has had a few hiccups with updates in the past that lead to odd behavior. I've never experienced crashing, but I have had issues with the Notifications from Skype (and even now working as intended it's still pretty piss poor unless you always open it when finished with another app).

TheContact

Guys any software for browsing through iPhone folders from PC? I used to use iExplorer but it won't work now :(

For Wireless, through Cydia, download OpenSSH and ToggleSSH.
Then on your computer download WinSCP.
The host name is your iphone's IP (you can check this in WiFi settings on your phone)
the login and password is root / alpine

For Wired, download iPhoneBrowser.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The host name is your iphone's IP (you can check this in WiFi settings on your phone)

None of that SSH stuff worked whatsoever for me. iPhoneBrowser worked perfectly!

Psy-Phi

Guys any software for browsing through iPhone folders from PC? I used to use iExplorer but it won't work now :(

If you are just looking for a file, there's always iFile that lets you browse your file system from the iPhone or iOS.

While I do prefer the method you've mentioned Carfo, I just wanted to mention that iExplorer (on Windows) still works for me on both my iPhone and iPad after unchecking the "Allow Access to Real Root" option.

Melhisedek, have you tried that already? the WinSCP (or Filezilla, or any SFTP/SCP client of your choice) method is arguably a better option while Jailbroken though.

One of the background app killers to quickly free memory.
WeeKillBackground -- lets you kill all apps in one fell swoop through the notification area.
-or-
Remove Background SBSettings -- same deal, but adds a button to SBSettings instead.
-or-
KillBackground -- adds a red badge in the task switcher tray bottom left that does the same

CyDelete -- so you can delete stuff installed from Cydia the normal way (wiggling icons with an X)

ManualCorrect -- so you can change hte function of the (IMO) furiating auto-correct. Now if you want to change it, you tap the changed word, instead of hitting the word to deny the change.

MultiIconMover -- if you like to arrange multiple icons at a time, this is for you. I love it and have missed it. But I'm an organization freak.

NoNewsIsGoodNews -- because News Stand annoys the hell out of me too. I hate that I cant tuck it in my Apple App folder. This makes the news apps just install as seperate apps instead (so if you use NY Times or The Daily, you can still use them, they just won't be in "newsstand" folder.

Same trouble with Tiny Wings. But Data Deposit, Spotify, Memovator, Arachnadoodle, Japanese, Beat It! work as well as a number of other Japanese and Chinese reference material. Just seems to be Tiny Wings for me, but even on iOS4 Tiny Wings was a problem.
Thanks.

About RetinaPad, it seems to be just very specific apps. I tried others and the only ones that crash all the time are Plants vs. Zombies and Angry Birds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 and I decide I want to remove it, is it pretty easy to do? Does it require a wipe?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So how do u install the Cydia apps and stuff? I'm trying to install SBsettings but it says it can't locate package from current sources.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 and I decide I want to remove it, is it pretty easy to do? Does it require a wipe?
If you want to remove the jailbreak? It will require a restore, that's all. All your jailbreak apps will be completely gone, but your iPhone will be back to "normal" as if you never jailbroke before.

So how do u install the Cydia apps and stuff? I'm trying to install SBsettings but it says it can't locate package from current sources.
Cydia is being hammered right now I'm guessing. This also means you need to wait for Cydia to fully update and load all changes. Best way to do this is to let your phone sit there with autolock turned off for a while until it loads all the changes from all the repositories. This can take a long time, be warned.

If this problem persists you may need to rejailbreak as it could be a sign that Cydia didn't fully install properly.

Nelo Ice

Banned
If you want to remove the jailbreak? It will require a restore, that's all. All your jailbreak apps will be completely gone, but your iPhone will be back to "normal" as if you never jailbroke before.

Cydia is being hammered right now I'm guessing. This also means you need to wait for Cydia to fully update and load all changes. Best way to do this is to let your phone sit there with autolock turned off for a while until it loads all the changes from all the repositories. This can take a long time, be warned.

If this problem persists you may need to rejailbreak as it could be a sign that Cydia didn't fully install properly.

Figured it out and installed SBsettings but now how do i configure it? my status bur is changed up top but my notifications bar is still the default one.

edit:and nvm I just noticed I was supposed to be use activator lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Figured it out and installed SBsettings but now how do i configure it? my status bur is changed up top but my notifications bar is still the default one.
From your SBSettings dropdown go into "More" and then there is a slew off menu options to configure it under the heading "iOS5 + Notifications." You can still have both the dropdown and the notifications one, or either/or. I think that's the easiest way, the built-in configurations, but there's also apparently some tweaks with IntelliscreenX paid add-on that integrate SBSettings differently into notifications.

Nelo Ice

Banned
From your SBSettings dropdown go into "More" and then there is a slew off menu options to configure it under the heading "iOS5 + Notifications." You can still have both the dropdown and the notifications one, or either/or. I think that's the easiest way, the built-in configurations, but there's also apparently some tweaks with IntelliscreenX paid add-on that integrate SBSettings differently into notifications.

Thanks for the help, I think I figured it out. Though are phone/email supposed to stay on? Cuz whenever I try to turn off processes to free memory it turns everything off but those 2 and I have to manually turn em off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks for the help, I think I figured it out. Though are phone/email supposed to stay on? Cuz whenever I try to turn off processes to free memory it turns everything off but those 2 and I have to manually turn em off.
No problem. I believe Phone always stays. Not sure about e-mails, I don't use the e-mail app so often, but whenever I free my memory its usually only phone left (basic functionality I'm guessing).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I was going to only jailbreak my iPad, but after seeing all the cool shit you can do with a freed iOS device, I'm going to do my phone too.

Wish me luck...heh.

snack

I'm thinking about jailbreaking...

Is there a good site where I can see people's jailbroken phones and what they have installed? I wanna see what's good!

Also, does anyone here use the TV retro animation when locking their screen? I only know of Springtomize, is that an old app?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Before I jailbreak, no problems with iCloud, Siri or anything? I do the automatic backup to the cloud every night, and I'd like to keep that up. Also iTunes match might be in my future.

Anything you have to give up?

I hate how they all warned to update to 5.0.1 "before its to late" and now that i did the jailbreak is compatible with 5.0 and i might be shit out of luck on an unlock

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hate how they all warned to update to 5.0.1 "before its to late" and now that i did the jailbreak is compatible with 5.0 and i might be shit out of luck on an unlock
Just jailbroke my 5.0.1 iPad2 so you're probably wrong? Unless it's different for other devices.
Edit: ah, unlock. My bad. Sorry dood.

Anyway, two-click process & pretty slick. Now how/where do I find cool stuff like GemRB? :)

freshair

Just jailbroke my 5.0.1 iPad2 so you're probably wrong? Unless it's different for other devices.

Anyway, two-click process & pretty slick. Now how/where do I find cool stuff like GemRB? :)

I believe he's referring to an unlock, in which case the mantra has always been the lower firmware you are on, the better chance you'll have at being able to unlock.

Yet, prior to the release of the jailbreak for A5 devices, jailbreak sites advocated that everyone -should update- to 5.0.1 to ensure "maximum compatibility" before apple stops signing the firmware.

And now that the jb has been released, it turns out it is compatible with 5.0 all along and upgrading was for naught.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So are there any other free apps that are worth getting besides the ones listed in the OP? Also what are some good themes and how do u customize em? I looked through this thread and found a windows phone theme but have no idea how to add a custom background and custom buttons animations etc, to that theme.

edit:Also is it normal that nothings installing right now? I can't install any cydia apps right now as the screens stuck on running but I was installing apps just fine earlier.
edit2:and now its working again.

Kryptonic

I jailbroke my 4s, loving it so far, just got done organizing my apps using infiniboard.

Does anybody else use infiniboard with barrel? They don't seem to like each other. Some of the animations with barrel seem to work ok with infiniboard but still a bit buggy.

I am also using glasklart theme. Taking a long time to try and find/make the icons that I'm missing but loving how clean it is turning out.

I'm just happy I can now use MyWi to share my phones 3G with my iPad.

Alexios

I can't install anything from Cydia on my iPad2, it just says package not found, that the most common cause is outdated sources, and to try a manual refresh by clicking to do that in the other tab, which I do but nothing changes. Rough English translation as it surprisingly supports my language. I just tried to get SBSettings and whatever else to test how it all works as it's my first JB...

Alexios

Are there good dosbox & scummvm releases for jb iPad2? Would be pretty rad to play some of my gog games on iPad2 instead. Like Syndicate (er, as long as there's an intuitive way to do right click). Or X-Com from Steam.

Top Bottom