• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Double D

So now that I've Jailbroken my phone, it seems I can't change the names of my folders. Well, specifically, if I click the text box, the cursor pops up but the keyboard never appears so that I can type something in. Anyone know of a workaround?

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone know this? Please?

Cheers
No, pretty sure they do not.

Also, my phone keeps restarting itself, i've been jailbroken for a while and made no changes before this started happening. Every time it boots, I can tell that it's in safe mode, and then it crashes.

I don't even have the time to unlock before it seems to respiring on its own. This just keeps happening. Anything I can do?

Also, my phone keeps restarting itself, i've been jailbroken for a while and made no changes before this started happening. Every time it boots, I can tell that it's in safe mode, and then it crashes.

I don't even have the time to unlock before it seems to respiring on its own. This just keeps happening. Anything I can do?

it could be a Cydia app you've installed. in fact, that's almost certainly your issue.

noah111

Still Alive
it could be a Cydia app you've installed. in fact, that's almost certainly your issue.
That's what I thought, as it has happened many times before, and then I uninstall it and everything is fine. However, I have not touched Cydia or installed anything in almost a week, this hit randomly.

Also, unlike the usual occurrences when it boots into safe mode, you usually slide to unlock and the 'restart' option appears. Here, when I manage to slide to unlock, even more a second, there is no restart option, nor does it say 'exist safe mode' in the status bar where the time usually is.

This sucks, hit totally randomly, I think i'm probably going to have to restore/unjailbreak. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I had the same exact issue. You just gotta be quick and reboot it manually when it does reboot in the (very) little time you have before it does it itself. Fixed it for me anyways.

Don't know what the cause is, but it's only happened to me twice and I don't remember the circumstances of such.

That's what I thought, as it has happened many times before, and then I uninstall it and everything is fine. However, I have not touched Cydia or installed anything in almost a week, this hit randomly.

Also, unlike the usual occurrences when it boots into safe mode, you usually slide to unlock and the 'restart' option appears. Here, when I manage to slide to unlock, even more a second, there is no restart option, nor does it say 'exist safe mode' in the status bar where the time usually is.

This sucks, hit totally randomly, I think i'm probably going to have to restore/unjailbreak. :(

worst case: just backup, reinstall the OS and re-jailbreak. then add apps one at a time. Make sure you only add Cydia apps that say they've been tested and work with iOS5.

noah111

Still Alive
I had the same exact issue. You just gotta be quick and reboot it manually when it does reboot in the (very) little time you have before it does it itself. Fixed it for me anyways.

Don't know what the cause is, but it's only happened to me twice and I don't remember the circumstances of such.
You mean hold down down the lock button until the 'slide to shut down' slider appears? And slide it before the auto-reboot happens? I'll give that a shit.

Seanbob11

If you can set it up, I can provide you with a key. I just found out my school is not letting my computer listen in to get the keys, but if I connect it to someone elses server, I can retrieve the keys there.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/setup-a-siri-proxy-server-for-spire/

If you guys are able to get this set up I'd love to be able to get it on it? :)

Now that the 4s is jailbroken is it possible that soon we'll not need to resort to this to get Siri working on iPhone 4?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You mean hold down down the lock button until the 'slide to shut down' slider appears? And slide it before the auto-reboot happens? I'll give that a shit.

No not power down, a manual reboot. When your phone boots up again, immediately hold down the power and home buttons simultaneously and wait for your screen to black out and once you see the apple logo again let go.

Mistake

Just updated my 3rd gen 32GB touch to iOS 5 and jailbroke it. I noticed this OS has more crap I'll never use. Is there a way to delete any default apps? Or do I have to settle with hiding them?

edit: I think I found something, it's called iFile

noah111

Still Alive
No not power down, a manual reboot. When your phone boots up again, immediately hold down the power and home buttons simultaneously and wait for your screen to black out and once you see the apple logo again let go.
Ah, yeah I had tried that already, a few times. I've ended up restoring, oh well. :|

Psy-Phi

If you can set it up, I can provide you with a key. I just found out my school is not letting my computer listen in to get the keys, but if I connect it to someone elses server, I can retrieve the keys there.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/setup-a-siri-proxy-server-for-spire/

Thanks. Seems simple enough. Only problem looks like the key needs to be refreshed every 24 hours. Sounds like a bit of a hassle. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what is said in the article. More research is required.

Unfortunately I must decline connecting anyone I don't personally know. Apple bans IP's that have too many connections to their Siri server, this isn't a replacement for it, just a forwarding proxy spoofing the key it seems. It would be beautiful if you could use Siri on Google or bing and have it process directly on your server instead of Apple's.

Just updated my 3rd gen 32GB touch to iOS 5 and jailbroke it. I noticed this OS has more crap I'll never use. Is there a way to delete any default apps? Or do I have to settle with hiding them?

edit: I think I found something, it's called iFile

I would caution trying to delete default apps. Instead, just use SBSettings and hide any Apps you don't wish to see. Has the added benefit of still being able to use them by searching in Spotlight for them.

noah111

Still Alive
^Definitely. Better yet, if you don't like SBS (me), use an app called Poof. It's great, because you can even hide the poof app, as well. Anytime you want to access it again, though, just use spotlight.

Anyone try LockIt? It's great, I hate having passwords for my lock screen, just because I don't want to enter a pass EVERY time I want to unlock. I only want to lock down on occasion.

With LockIt, I triple tap the home button from anywhere and put in a pass to enable it. Now, anyone can unlock my phone, but any time they press an app icon, it kicks to the lock screen and the screen blacks out.

Perfect.

g3nkie

Neo Member
Being only an iOS user since the launch of the iPhone 4s, I really missed the customization from the OG Droid that I had. In some ways, I actually wish I could go back. Feelings are changing now that I was finally able to jailbreak my phone last week. While still not as customizable as I would like, it's still a blast to mess around with different apps and see what the phone can do. I don't think I could ever go back to stock. The iPhone is missing so many features that I have grown accustomed to since my Android days, it would be a hassle to go back.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just got my sisters old US iPhone 3GS and I wanted to unlock it so I could use my UK Vodafone simcard in it.

Never done this kind of this before so any help would be appreciated.

Details:

Model - iPhone 3GS
Version - 5.0.1
Modem - 05.16.05

Don't really care about hacking it, I just want to use my contract simcard in it.

freshair

Just got my sisters old US iPhone 3GS and I wanted to unlock it so I could use my UK Vodafone simcard in it.

Never done this kind of this before so any help would be appreciated.

Details:

Model - iPhone 3GS
Version - 5.0.1
Modem - 05.16.05

Don't really care about hacking it, I just want to use my contract simcard in it.

Unfortunately, i dont believe that baseband is supported via ultrasn0w. Your only option might be to flash it with an iPad baseband, which may or may not cause some problems.

Re: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1312564

Thanks. Seems simple enough. Only problem looks like the key needs to be refreshed every 24 hours. Sounds like a bit of a hassle. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what is said in the article. More research is required.

Unfortunately I must decline connecting anyone I don't personally know. Apple bans IP's that have too many connections to their Siri server, this isn't a replacement for it, just a forwarding proxy spoofing the key it seems. It would be beautiful if you could use Siri on Google or bing and have it process directly on your server instead of Apple's.

I would caution trying to delete default apps. Instead, just use SBSettings and hide any Apps you don't wish to see. Has the added benefit of still being able to use them by searching in Spotlight for them.

I got a server set up. You can only have a max of 5 people before Apple will even do anything.

Yes, the 24 hour key refresh thing is annoying, but my roommate has a 4S and can do it whenever, so downtime is minimal. I only have 2 spots left until I get more 4S keys, but other than that, the server is really fast and works well!

Seanbob11

I got a server set up. You can only have a max of 5 people before Apple will even do anything.

Yes, the 24 hour key refresh thing is annoying, but my roommate has a 4S and can do it whenever, so downtime is minimal. I only have 2 spots left until I get more 4S keys, but other than that, the server is really fast and works well!

Would I be able to get in one of those slots? I would be forever grateful!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is there a way to manually add MKV video files to my iPhone after jailbreaking?

Just discovered a great iOS Cydia utility - CleverPin

Essentially, the utility allows you to automatically disable the unlock passcode when your phone is logged into specific wifi networks. So you can choose to have the code disabled once you are at home or work and on the wifi, but active whenever you are out of the house. You can also choose to disable the passcode while playing music, charging the device or when in airplane mode.

So far I'm using the following on my phone, and can't imagine giving up on any -

Activator
Cleverpin
LockInfo
ScrollingBoard
TetherMe
SBSettings
SwitcherCleaner

I'm hesitant to jailbreak my iPad 2, though. Any worthwhile reasons for doing so?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What video player are you using?

I use cinexplayer and you can just SSH into your phone and drap/drop the files into the folder it reads from.

I downloaded the XBMC player and I want to store the MKV files locally on my phone if possible, and just play from there. Since Apple doesn't support MKV iTunes won't let me sync the files (which I expected). Just trying to find another way to get the files on my phone.

Has anybody tried this on their iPhone 4? It seems that there's a new method to install Siri w/o the need for a proxy. Thoughts?

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/howto/how-to-install-siri-on-your-iphone-4-or-ipod-touch

Start Cydia and add repo.siriport.ru as a new source

Welp. I'm gonna try it out but I'm probably gonna lose my indentity in the process. Wish me luck.

e: didn't work for me. Installed the application successfully, installed the certificate, but I'm just getting the old voice control when I hold down Home.

Double e: because I didn't enable Siri in Settings > General. Now it's popping up. Will update if it ends up working, apparently it takes awhile to activate.

Triple e: not working. She says she can'd handle my request or similar shit.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Just discovered a great iOS Cydia utility - CleverPin

Essentially, the utility allows you to automatically disable the unlock passcode when your phone is logged into specific wifi networks. So you can choose to have the code disabled once you are at home or work and on the wifi, but active whenever you are out of the house. You can also choose to disable the passcode while playing music, charging the device or when in airplane mode.

So far I'm using the following on my phone, and can't imagine giving up on any -

Activator
Cleverpin
LockInfo
ScrollingBoard
TetherMe
SBSettings
SwitcherCleaner

I'm hesitant to jailbreak my iPad 2, though. Any worthwhile reasons for doing so?

Cleverin is useful, thanks for sharing your rad find

timnich

My jailbroken iPhone 4 was performing just as well as it was pre-jailbreak, until I installed Dreamboard through Cydia. I've since removed from my phone, but its still occasionally laggy. I haven't gotten around to restoring it yet to try and fix it, its always an hour+ long process whenever I have to...

freshair

I downloaded the XBMC player and I want to store the MKV files locally on my phone if possible, and just play from there. Since Apple doesn't support MKV iTunes won't let me sync the files (which I expected). Just trying to find another way to get the files on my phone.

It looks like since you can dictate the source folder from within XBMC, you can literally SSH and drop it in a folder you wish. I know VLC uses /var/mobile/media so you can put it in there to keeps things simple.

Downhome

What do you mean by not as responsive? There should be no difference at all. The Cydia packages you install however can definitely affect performance.

I mean that when I touch the screen, it hasn't been responding instantly as it always has. Also, when I go to mail, text, iPod, or just about any other thing the screen hangs up for a number of seconds before it opens for me, and sometimes it just totally goes back to the home screen.

Anyway, I uninstalled a few Cydia packages and all is well now. Thank God, it was driving me so crazy I was already starting to think about doing a full restore.

That's what I get for blindly jailbreaking without doing research on which packages are actually worth installing. Do we have a "must have" list or anything of the sort on here already, other than what is in the OP?

noah111

Still Alive
Is there any JB tweak that will force an app to stay running in the background?

I want to use a webcam app that allows my iPhone camera to act as a webcam, and at the same time use air display so I can access my Mac screen, while still running the camera.

So i'd like the camera app to stay open, any way to do this?

Poody

Zephry is great. Can anyone identify if the functions in said program are also in Activator?

Zephry is great. Can anyone identify if the functions in said program are also in Activator?

Allegedly you can swipe up to activate the multitasking bar but

1.) I never got it to work properly.
2.) Even if it did work, it doesn't operate like Zephyr does (animation, etc.)

Now add the N9-influenced swipe-to-homescreen / half-swipe hold for multitasking bar, and it just blows everything else out of the water. Zephyr is well worth my $3.

Poody

Allegedly you can swipe up to activate the multitasking bar but

1.) I never got it to work properly.
2.) Even if it did work, it doesn't operate like Zephyr does (animation, etc.)

Now add the N9-influenced swipe-to-homescreen / half-swipe hold for multitasking bar, and it just blows everything else out of the water. Zephyr is well worth my $3.

just got it. It's a great piece of code.

Jburton

Banned
Start Cydia and add repo.siriport.ru as a new source

Welp. I'm gonna try it out but I'm probably gonna lose my indentity in the process. Wish me luck.

e: didn't work for me. Installed the application successfully, installed the certificate, but I'm just getting the old voice control when I hold down Home.

Double e: because I didn't enable Siri in Settings > General. Now it's popping up. Will update if it ends up working, apparently it takes awhile to activate.

Triple e: not working. She says she can'd handle my request or similar shit.

Installed this to give it a go, does not work ........ uninstalled it through cydia, rebooted once completed and it still remains in settings.

God damn incomplete uninstall!

Avoid.

Top Bottom