• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

noah111

Still Alive
Zephyr just got even better. I really love it now. You know how you can swipe up to close the app, or hold half way to bring up the switcher?

Well now you can set the time delay for how fast the switcher pops up, i.e. how long you have to hold to have it slide into view. It was the one thing I didn't like, now it's fixed since I set mine at 0.2 seconds.

Support this tweak!

Zephyr just got even better. I really love it now. You know how you can swipe up to close the app, or hold half way to bring up the switcher?

Well now you can set the time delay for how fast the switcher pops up, i.e. how long you have to hold to have it slide into view. It was the one thing I didn't like, now it's fixed since I set mine at 0.2 seconds.

Support this tweak!

I wish they would change/fix the multitouch input for app switching. It's sorta annoying how they have it implemented right now.

noah111

Still Alive
I wish they would change/fix the multitouch input for app switching. It's sorta annoying how they have it implemented right now.
I use the two finger swipe from edge to switch, disabled when using the keyboard. How'd you want them to solve it? It's a cramped screen so I don't know what they could even do more tbh.

It has been handy in some situations, but I still use the switcher in most cases.

I use the two finger swipe from edge to switch, disabled when using the keyboard. How'd you want them to solve it? It's a cramped screen so I don't know what they could even do more tbh.

It has been handy in some situations, but I still use the switcher in most cases.

From when I tried it out, it seemed like it would never detect my two finger swipe when my fingers were horizontal. I had to rotate my hand to make them vertical to read the two finger swipe. It wouldn't just respond the way I want it to.

Support this tweak!
So awesome, I have mine set at 0.2 secs now as well.

noah111

Still Alive
From when I tried it out, it seemed like it would never detect my two finger swipe when my fingers were horizontal. I had to rotate my hand to make them vertical to read the two finger swipe. It wouldn't just respond the way I want it to.
Oh, yeah that. I just swipe my two fingers from the edge of the screen, i.e. pulling with two fingers, not swiping.

I'd imagine too many detections issues would be going on if two finger swipe would trigger it, since that would require it detect anywhere, not just the edge of the screen.

I type so fast that i'm hitting two keys at once a lot of the time, and i could already imagine something like that fucking with detection if it worked that way.

I'd imagine the task switcher would be faster to use on an iPhone.
Actually if you know that the last used app is the one you want to open, it's pretty fast and a lot more convenient than the switcher imo.

Blackhead

Redarse
How do I access the notification center on the lockscreen and/or what is the best lockscreen mod?

I'm liking the Metro themes with dreamboard but neither seem to offer decent editing options :/

Is there something i can get to allow random lockscreen wallpapers, so it might be a different picture everytime?

Bosspaper?

jts

...hate me...
Does the Abinthe A5 jailbreak require backup/restore, i.e., can I do it for a friend's iPhone 4S on my computer?

My uncle called me to ask if I could unlock his phone for TMobile. I'm not sure if it's a 4 or 4S nor have I done an unlock before. Is it as trivial as jailbreaking?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My uncle called me to ask if I could unlock his phone for TMobile. I'm not sure if it's a 4 or 4S nor have I done an unlock before. Is it as trivial as jailbreaking?

No. It's possible, depending on the phone's baseband. If it's not the right baseband, you can't. Some basebands require a Gevey SIM.

jambo

I can't seem to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 FW.

When I run redsn0w 0.9.10b5c it finishes Phase One in DFU Mode and then the program gets an unexpected error and crashes. This is on Windows XP SP3 btw

I can reboot the phone ok and I have a backup, but I just want to JB the damn thing!

qgEeX.png

AkS1D.png

Thanks in advance!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ok, good to know. What do I look for to determine the baseband when he hands over his phone to tell if it's unlockable or not?

If he's on the latest OS, chances are it's not unlockable. One needs to preserve the baseband and that takes a little know how. I assume he just updated the OS through iTunes. Therefore, he's screwed.

Has anyone had any problems with their jailbroken 4S? mine was running fine for about a week, and im not sure what i installed or what I did but it became very unstable. spotlight search would cause the phone to freeze and often reboot, apps would open and freeze, basically got to the point where I had no choice but to restore and now its running perfectly fine again unjailbroken

I mostly just had tweaks such as bitesms, infinifolders, tetherme, five icon dock, sbsettings and a few other things. never installed winterboard or any type of skinning mods

So I'm wondering if its just absinthe that still has bugs or what because ive had jailbroken iPhones since the 3GS and never had that much unstability with one

3rdman

Guys, I can use some guidance...My wife refuses to give up her iPhone but I am desperate to be rid of ATT so I'm planning on jailbreaking her 3GS to use on T-Mobile.

Here are the problems, for one, she is on 5.0.1 so her baseband will need to be updated to the iPad version, right? I've seen a few tutorials out there but most of them gloss over details and I don't want to screw up.

So, basically, I want to go from locked ATT on 3GS (5.0.1) to unlocked/untethered...Help?

Blackhead

Redarse
Did I ever mention that Appslide + LastApp is the best combo ever?

Get AppInfo from Cydia and export your list of installed packages. Here is mine (aside from the system utilities):

Sources

BigBoss
http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable

CocoaNuts Beta Packages
http://apt.cocoanuts.co/

Cydia/Telesphoreo
http://apt.saurik.com/dists/ios/675.00

Dev Team
http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/

iBlogeek Cydia Repo
http://cydia.iblogeek.com/

ModMyi.com
http://apt.modmyi.com/dists/stable

Modyouri.com
http://repo.modyouri.com/

moyashi repository
http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

RPetri.ch Repository
http://rpetri.ch/repo/

teamXBMC
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/

Theme it repository
http://themeitapp.com/repo/

ZodTTD & MacCiti
http://cydia.zodttd.com/repo/cydia/dists/stable

Packages

3G Unrestrictor 5 - 5.0.1-2
Action Menu - 1.2.6
Action Menu Plus Pack - 1.2.3
Activator - 1.6.1
AirBlue Sharing - 0.9.35
AirBlue Stack - 1.3.7
Airplane SBSettings Toggle - 2.1
AnyAttach - 1.0-6
App Switcher Rotator - 1.3
AppInfo - 1.5
AppLinks - 1.5.1
AppList - 1.4.2
appslide - 1.1.1-1
AppStore Update Size - 1.4
AttachmentSaver - 1.4.0
Autocorrection Bar - 0.1-1
BackForwardEnhancer - 0.5-1
BigBoss Icon Set - 1.0
Booksstand - 1.0.1
CallBar - 1.0-5
CallBar SBSettings Toggle - 0.0.1-2
CleanStatus - 0.9.8.3-1
Cyntact - 1.4.2-1
DataMonitor - 1.2.1
Default HD SBSettings - 1.2
EnhancedTabs - 0.98-3
f.lux - 0.96
Flowtation - 1.1.4
FullScreen for Safari - 1.36
GridTab for Safari - 1.4-4
iClassic - 1.5
iClassic iPod Classic Theme HD - 2.1-1
iEagleEye - 0.0.1-16
iFile - 1.6.1-3
Insomnia - 4.0.3-1
IntelliScreenX - 1.3.5
Ipsum - 1.4
Jooo Mod - 2.11
KakaotalkTweak - 1.1.4
KBShortcuts - 1.2
LastApp - 1:1.0.1-1
LayerSnapshotter - 1.0
Lorem - 1.3
Mail Enhancer - 2.5.1-1
ManualCorrect Pro - 1.1.2
MarkThatMessage - 1.0
MewSeek - 2.7-3
Mobile Substrate - 0.9.3995
Modyouri Repo Icon - 1.0.1
Move2Unlock - 1.7.2
MultiCleaner - 2.9.5
NewTabSearch - 0.0.1-1
No Bookmarks - 1.0-3
NowListening - 1.6
NowPlayingDetailInfo - 0.0.2
OmniStat for NotificationCenter - 1.2.2-1
PasswordPilot - 1.2-1
PictoKeyboard - 0.9-1
PowerSoundDisabler - 1.0.0-1
PreferenceLoader - 2.0.4-1
Private Browsing SBSettings Toggle - 0.1
Pull To Dismiss - 1.0
QuickSafari - 1.2-1
QuickScrollPlus - 0.4-3beta
Read Later for ActionMenu - 0.1-2
Reset Safari for SBSettings - 1.2
RestoreTab for Safari - 1.2-1
Rotation Inhibitor - 1.0.4
Safari Upload Enabler - 1.0-7
SBAdBlockToggle - 2.3.5.5
SBSettings - 5.2.2
sbsettingstoggles - 5.2.2
Serious SBSettings HD - 1.4-1
ShowCase - 1.1.2-1
Sleep To Lock - 1.2-5
Snappy5 - 3.0.1
SnowCover4 - 1.2
SpringFlash - 1.3.1
Springtomize 2 - iOS 5+ - 1.2-4
StatusTweak - 1.1
StayOpened - 1.5
SuperScroller - 1.0
SwipeShiftCaret - 0.3-2
Tab+ - 0.8-1
Theme it - 1.3.5
Typophone Weather - 2.0.8.8
UIKit Tools - 1.1.3
User Agent Faker - 1.3-2
Voice ActionMenu Plugin - 0.6-4
Webscrollian - 1.0.0-2
WeeLoader - 1.0-1
WeeTrackData for NotificationCenter - 1.4
WiFi Passwords - 1.3-2
WikiApps ActionMenu Plugin - 0.5-1
WinterBoard - 0.9.3903
XBMC-IconPack - 1.0-0
XBMC-iOS - 11.0-0~rc1
Zephyr - 1.2-1
Zeppelin - 1.0

Here is my list from last year. I did try the Dreamboard WP7 themes this time around, and there are one or two that are alright, but all they did was make me miss the real thing.

noah111

Still Alive
Nice, got a few Safari enhancement tweaks from that list. Oh and Zephyr has a neat update that lets you change the sensitivity of the pull area, nice stuff.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I did try the Dreamboard WP7 themes this time around, and there are one or two that are alright, but all they did was make me miss the real thing.
Did you try OS7: Revive? It's incredibly well implemented, with all the animations, pinning to the home screen and lots of live tiles that work pretty well, plus you can Pik the background/tile colours as well as having custom backgrounds and tiles too. It's in Cydia, I recommend checking it out.

Sanic

What kind of effect do iOS updates have on jailbreaking?

I haven't jailbroken my 4S yet, but i'm considering it. I would still be able to JB 5.1 within a reasonable timeframe if I updated now, right?

Blackhead

Redarse
What kind of effect do iOS updates have on jailbreaking?

I haven't jailbroken my 4S yet, but i'm considering it. I would still be able to JB 5.1 within a reasonable timeframe if I updated now, right?

No, no, no!

March Mayhem
Dev-Team Blog said:
As the whole tech world waits for today's Apple Event, it seems like a good time to remind both veteran and amateur jailbreakers about the fundamental rule of jailbreaking: Avoid firmware updates!

In all likelihood we'll see the GM "gold master" version of 5.1 this week. DO NOT UPDATE TO 5.1, because you may lose your jailbreak! The rest of this post details the subtleties with this rule, but if there's only one message to take home, it's the overall "do not update" message! Now for the nitty gritty exceptions:

• Soon after 5.1 appears on Apple's public servers (i.e. iTunes starts to offer it), Apple will stop signing 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.
  • If you have an iPhone4S, the basic rule above is really the only rule: you cannot restore back to 5.0.1 once the 5.0.1 signing window is closed, no matter what (even if you saved your SHSH blobs).
  • If you have an iPad2 with saved 4.x hashes, you can in fact downgrade to that 4.x but you won't be able to get to 5.0.1 once the 5.0.1 signing window is closed (even if you saved your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs).
  • If you have a device earlier than the iPad2, you can downgrade to whatever version you want, as long as you have saved SHSH blobs for that version. You'll need the assistance of geohot's limera1n exploit with tools like redsn0w to get into "pwned DFU mode" and bypass the downgrade restriction.

As you can see, it really is a nuanced landscape so it's sometimes hard to drive the message home to new jailbreakers. But the basic rule is the simplest (and it's better to be safe than sorry!): If you update to 5.1 you'll very likely lose your jailbreak, so don't do it! Exceptions are noted above.

Now let's see what Apple unveils today!

There is no guarantee of future jailbreaks. It might take a couple of days for iOS 5.1 to be jailbroken or it could take months. Previously you could try out the new update for a bit then downgrade to a jailbreakable firmware but Apple has gotten more ruthless about closing that loophole. If you care about jalibreaking you should do it now.

Sidenote: I grabbed an iPhone 4S today. I'd have been thinking about getting an Android tablet/phone instead but a jailbroken iPhone is the safe choice and this might be the last chance to enjoy it for a while. If a jailbroken iPhone 4S still isn't satisfactory I could always jump to the waiting arms of Android. For now I'll be working on an OP for a new jailbreak thread since this one is hopelessly outdated. If anyone wants to contribute please post here or PM me.

Sanic

Thanks for the information. I would love the battery improvements (since i've had issues) and there's currently nothing available by jailbreaking that I need right now, but I know months down the line i'll want to start tinkering with and customizing my phone.

However, when you say I should look into doing the JB right now, do you mean because of 5.0.1 signing window closing? Is a restore still required for Jailbreaking? I have yet to read up on the current process; I'll get to that sometime today.

No, no, no!

March Mayhem

There is no guarantee of future jailbreaks. It might take a couple of days for iOS 5.1 to be jailbroken or it could take months. Previously you could try out the new update for a bit then downgrade to a jailbreakable firmware but Apple has gotten more ruthless about closing that loophole. If you care about jalibreaking you should do it now.

Sidenote: I grabbed an iPhone 4S today. I'd have been thinking about getting an Android tablet/phone instead but a jailbroken iPhone is the safe choice and this might be the last chance to enjoy it for a while. If a jailbroken iPhone 4S still isn't satisfactory I could always jump to the waiting arms of Android. For now I'll be working on an OP for a new jailbreak thread since this one is hopelessly outdated. If anyone wants to contribute please post here or PM me.

Is there a guide on how to back up your SHSH blobs? I always thought Cydia did that since I remember some time ago they asked if they wanted to back them up. Was that a one time thing?

freshair

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks for the information. I would love the battery improvements (since i've had issues) and there's currently nothing available by jailbreaking that I need right now, but I know months down the line i'll want to start tinkering with and customizing my phone.

However, when you say I should look into doing the JB right now, do you mean because of 5.0.1 signing window closing? Is a restore still required for Jailbreaking? I have yet to read up on the current process; I'll get to that sometime today.
I think the current jailbreak tool for iPhone 4S and iPad 2, Chronic-Dev's Absinthe, fakes a restore as part of the process. I'm not sure if that requires some signing by Apple though. I'd say better safe than sorry, you could jailbreak now but leaving the tinkering and customizing till a much later time.

Is there a guide on how to back up your SHSH blobs? I always thought Cydia did that since I remember some time ago they asked if they wanted to back them up. Was that a one time thing?

I'm not sure which device you have but I posted some helpful links at the top of this page. If you allowed Cydia to backup it up then you're good for that firmware. You can check by opening the Cydia app and on the Home tab it'll show up which firmware it has your blobs for. You might want to back up the SHSH blobs to your own computer, just in case something happens to Cydia's servers. That's usually not necessary but hey just because you're paranoid doesn't mean Apple isn't out to get you :p

Sanic

One final question: What kind of performance/battery hit do extensive modifications bring? I'm talking something like all of the major stuff like winterboard, sbsettings, etc. all installed.

dyls

Forgot for a second that my phone was jailbroken and started downloaded the 5.1 OTA update. Good thing it failed. I wonder if that's because of the huge amount of traffic Apple's servers is getting or because of the jailbreak.

Blackhead

Redarse
One final question: What kind of performance/battery hit do extensive modifications bring? I'm talking something like all of the major stuff like winterboard, sbsettings, etc. all installed.

I find battery life to be about the same with regular usage after extensive tweaks—but of course my usage isn't regular after extensive tweaks as I then enjoy using the phone more, keep using it more often for various tasks, and sometimes the battery life suffers a bit. It really depends on your setup. If you install a tweak that configures the iPhone to check for fetch email every minute then it'll have an adverse effect on your battery life. On the other hand, if you use a tweak that automatically turns off 3G and wireless when not using the device (then turns it back when you need it), there will be a boost to battery life. Sometimes buggy apps do appear that go crazy in the background and kill battery life but the most popular tweaks, the mainstays of jailbreak life, usually have minimal effect of battery life.

Battery life shouldn't be your main concern imo, what you should be concerned about when installing extensive mods is the memory usage. iOS devices are low on RAM to begin with an all those tweaks in memory might cause a noticeable dip in fluidity of the device. Then you can either cut back on the tweaks installed or double down by configuring virtual memory... anyway, I just felt a need to point out that the iDevices doesn't have unlimited resources and while most jailbreak setups are relatively stable, you should still take care to be wise about what you install.

Sanic

Thanks for the input Greyface, really appreciate it.

Just need to decide if JB functionality is worth it, since battery life is far and away my biggest issue with the phone right now.

Top Bottom