• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I updated my apple TV 2 in the hope of getting airplay mirroring and putting plex back on it, but it seems I can't jailbreak the latest firmware, so am I just screwed for a while until something comes out? Read something about a tethered jailbreak being doable but hasn't it been released?

http://blog.firecore.com/7437

It's out now and only tethered for ATV2

You might still have to wait for things like plex to become supported though.

Guys, anyone that can point me in the right direction if I want to unlock my jailbroken iphone 4?

I om on 4.3.3 baseband 4.10.01.

what tool is the best to use to unlock this iphone?

and what might happen if I do unlock?
will I lose any photos, videos or apps?

Guys, anyone that can point me in the right direction if I want to unlock my jailbroken iphone 4?

I om on 4.3.3 baseband 4.10.01.

what tool is the best to use to unlock this iphone?

and what might happen if I do unlock?
will I lose any photos, videos or apps?

Ther only software unlock solution is called ultrasn0w which is in cydia, however it only works on certain basebands which from a quick google search I came up with this, I'm not sure if this is up to date or not though:

"The supported basebands for the iPhone 3G and 3GS are 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00. The baseband supported for the iPhone4 is 01.59.00."

your other option is to use a gevey sim: http://applenberry.com/

Gaaraz

I am so utterly fucking fed up of my Apple TV (and feel bad since my girlfriend bought it me for Christmas and I've only used it once since)

Just tried to jailbreak it, and couldn't until I updated to version 5.0... now it won't let me even turn the thing on, it just shows an iTunes logo and the USB cable, I'm assuming I need to do the 'just boot' option from Seas0nPass.com?

But even then, how do I get Plex onto it? From what I understand it won't work with 5.0 anyway. I downloaded the 'plex-atv-installer.py' file and after much messing around finally got it to at least try to install, but then it just said connection was refused from the server... this is when it was plugged into my Macbook via USB.

Argghhhh!

I am so utterly fucking fed up of my Apple TV (and feel bad since my girlfriend bought it me for Christmas and I've only used it once since)

Just tried to jailbreak it, and couldn't until I updated to version 5.0... now it won't let me even turn the thing on, it just shows an iTunes logo and the USB cable, I'm assuming I need to do the 'just boot' option from Seas0nPass.com?

But even then, how do I get Plex onto it? From what I understand it won't work with 5.0 anyway. I downloaded the 'plex-atv-installer.py' file and after much messing around finally got it to at least try to install, but then it just said connection was refused from the server... this is when it was plugged into my Macbook via USB.

Argghhhh!

heh sounds like its time to see if they will exchange it. I've never tried plex but mine is on 4.something and xbmc works perfectly fine on it, thats all I use it for

Enzom21

Argghhhh!
It's a tethered jailbreak so every time you reboot you need to "just boot". Plex has not been updated for the newest firmware yet. There is a version of XBMC that is compatible http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369

LockInfo has really gone to shit since IOS 5. I really like the app for productivity but so many bugs and slowdowns just make it hard to use. Such a shame really but it truly does make the iphone much more productive.

Oemenia

Banned
Quick question, sorry if it isnt allowed but im really confused and i can seem to find anything out there that answers my question.

My iPod 3 is on 4.0 and my iPhone 4 is on 4.2.1 and both are jailbroken, how can i update to 5 without going back to factory settings or losing any data? Help would be much appreciated as ive been itching for the update for months. =)

Enzom21

Quick question, sorry if it isnt allowed but im really confused and i can seem to find anything out there that answers my question.

My iPod 3 is on 4.0 and my iPhone 4 is on 4.2.1 and both are jailbroken, how can i update to 5 without going back to factory settings or losing any data? Help would be much appreciated as ive been itching for the update for months. =)

You want to update without losing your jailbreak, or just update to 5.0 without losing your text messages, settings, game saves etc?

Enzom21

Ideally, the latter but keeping the jailbreak.

Most importantly i want to keep my contacts.

Well you can't update and keep your jailbreak and you have to do a complete firmware restore when moving to 5.0. All of your data except for your jailbreak stuff is saved when you do a sync and backup so you just need to restore from backup once you have installed the new firmware.

Apple has stopped signing any firmware older than 5.1, so unless you have your shsh blobs saved for 5.0 or 5.0.1 you have to move to 5.1 and that is a tethered jailbreak.
http://cydiahelp.com/important-save-ios-5.0.1-shsh-blobs-right-now-for-future-jailbreak/

Oemenia

Banned
Well you can't update and keep your jailbreak and you have to do a complete firmware restore when moving to 5.0. All of your data except for your jailbreak stuff is saved when you do a sync and backup so you just need to restore from backup once you have installed the new firmware.

Apple has stopped signing any firmware older than 5.1, so unless you have your shsh blobs saved for 5.0 or 5.0.1 you have to move to 5.1 and that is a tethered jailbreak.
http://cydiahelp.com/important-save-ios-5.0.1-shsh-blobs-right-now-for-future-jailbreak/
Yikes i havent saved them unfortunately, what options are there for me. My main problem was that even if i chose to Restore, i would get the 3194 error, what can i do?

Maddog

I have a Jailbroken iPod Touch on 5.0 that has a huge amount of "Other Space" used. I'd like to restore it so that I can reclaim this space while staying on 5.0. If I select the erase all content and settings will I be able to stay on 5.0? I know previously when you selected this option you had to plug in into iTunes to restore (and therefore upgrade to the latest release) but IIRC iOS 5 doesn't require this step.

Thanks,

Yikes i havent saved them unfortunately, what options are there for me. My main problem was that even if i chose to Restore, i would get the 3194 error, what can i do?

The only option you have right now is to go on 5.1 tethered. I'm running it now on my iPhone 4, and it is definitely buggier than the untether on 5.0.1.

You can make a custom IPSW file for 5.1 using Sn0wbreeze which will jailbreak 5.1 for you without any input after installation, and that can also keep your baseband if you want to unlock. I don't think any jailbreak apps will carry over, but some settings and data from them might. The other option is redsn0w, which is performed after you install regular 5.1.

Bruiserk

The only option you have right now is to go on 5.1 tethered. I'm running it now on my iPhone 4, and it is definitely buggier than the untether on 5.0.1.

You can make a custom IPSW file for 5.1 using Sn0wbreeze which will jailbreak 5.1 for you without any input after installation, and that can also keep your baseband if you want to unlock. I don't think any jailbreak apps will carry over, but some settings and data from them might. The other option is redsn0w, which is performed after you install regular 5.1.

This would still be tethered, right?

Oemenia

Banned

Do I still have the option of updating to 5.0.1, or would I be able to back up the blobs now using a software? (both iPhone and iPod are on 4 and jailbroken).

Gaaraz

It's a tethered jailbreak so every time you reboot you need to "just boot". Plex has not been updated for the newest firmware yet. There is a version of XBMC that is compatible http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369
Many thanks for this, I think I screwed up in that right after I jailbroke it, I plugged it into the TV and the mains power before actually powering everything off which I believe you have to do! XBMC looks good thanks, but ideally I want Plex so I can sync with my media library downstairs

Is there any news on an untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1? Whenever I google it, it just throws up loads of results about a possible jailbreak for 4S which I don't have... Thanks!

rozay

Banned
Has any method been developed that would let me download an mp3 from a blog and integrate it into the iPhone's music library? If the answer is yes, is there a way to get around the lack of a filesystem and open .zip/.rar files directly from the phone?

Blackhead

Redarse
Has any method been developed that would let me download an mp3 from a blog and integrate it into the iPhone's music library? If the answer is yes, is there a way to get around the lack of a filesystem and open .zip/.rar files directly from the phone?
The phone has a file system—iPhone OS has always possessed a filesystem—Apple just doesn't want anyone else to use it. That's the most basic function of a jailbreak: it allows access to the filesystem. However Apple has placed another hurdle; the iPhone's music library files are stored in a special database (unlike the music files on the desktop) so it's still not as simple as drag 'n drop.

Here's what you need:
for downloading mp3s from a blog — Filer ($4) or iCab ($2) or any other capable alternative browser
for browsing the filesystem and manipulating files — iFile (free lite version or $5 full version)
for importing the mp3s into the music library — Mewseek (free trial or $10 full version)

Here's what my workflow looks like:
  • browse the web on Safari and end up at a blog that's offering a legal free mp3 to download.
  • tap on bookmarklet that exports the current Safari webpage to Filer
  • download the mp3 in Filer
  • Use the 'Open In...' option in Filer to quickly get to the downloaded mp3 in iFile.
  • Cut the mp3 file from the location opened in iFile and paste in the proper Mewseek folder.
  • Switch to Mewseek app and import the mp3 into music library.
  • Tell Siri to play song.

As you become familiar with the apps you'll find some shortcuts and develop your own workflow. For example, Mewseek contains a search engine and a mini browser so you can use only that app to search for the mp3, download and import without touching Safari, Filer and iFile. You might also notice that while Safari won't download mp3s, it will download zips/rars and offer to open them in iFile so you can cut out Filer there (I still prefer to use Filer instead because Apple's 'download manger' in Safari is the one of the worst I've ever seen in a web browser). If you do all your browsing in an alternative web browser like iCab, which has a decent download manager, you might be able to get by without Filer. Both Filer and iFile can unzip and unrar—I prefer iFile to keep my file operations neat—and there are more specialized apps in the AppStore (e.g iUnarchive for pesky password-protected 7z files, urgh).

There are also other workflows using other Cydia tweaks e.g. download any file in Safari with Safari Download Manager and import from iFile into the media library using a gremlin plugin. Here's a guide for that workflow. Unfortunately neither SDM nor Gremlin are working on iOS5 but keep an eye out for when they eventually get updates (Technically you could substitute SDM with Safari Download Plug-in and Gremlin with Gremlin beta but those are buggy). There are also alternatives to iFile you should keep in mind including FinderMobile, MobileFinder, and good ol' Terminal. iFile is the best and worth the $5 IMO. It's always good to have options and importing into the music library is one of the jailbreak tweak functions Apple breaks with almost every new iOS update. It often takes months before some of those tweaks are working again.

You could also, you know,
get an Android phone already and not have to bother with all this jailbreaking nonsense. :p
Alright, I'm out. Someone pm me when the iPad 3 gets a jailbreak.

rozay

Banned
The phone has a file system—iPhone OS has always possessed a filesystem—Apple just doesn't want anyone else to use it. That's the most basic function of a jailbreak: it allows access to the filesystem. However Apple has placed another hurdle; the iPhone's music library files are stored in a special database (unlike the music files on the desktop) so it's still not as simple as drag 'n drop.

Here's what you need:
for downloading mp3s from a blog — Filer ($4) or iCab ($2) or any other capable alternative browser
for browsing the filesystem and manipulating files — iFile (free lite version or $5 full version)
for importing the mp3s into the music library — Mewseek (free trial or $10 full version)

Here's what my workflow looks like:
  • browse the web on Safari and end up at a blog that's offering a legal free mp3 to download.
  • tap on bookmarklet that exports the current Safari webpage to Filer
  • download the mp3 in Filer
  • Use the 'Open In...' option in Filer to quickly get to the downloaded mp3 in iFile.
  • Cut the mp3 file from the location opened in iFile and paste in the proper Mewseek folder.
  • Switch to Mewseek app and import the mp3 into music library.
  • Tell Siri to play song.

As you become familiar with the apps you'll find some shortcuts and develop your own workflow. For example, Mewseek contains a search engine and a mini browser so you can use only that app to search for the mp3, download and import without touching Safari, Filer and iFile. You might also notice that while Safari won't download mp3s, it will download zips/rars and offer to open them in iFile so you can cut out Filer there (I still prefer to use Filer instead because Apple's 'download manger' in Safari is the one of the worst I've ever seen in a web browser). If you do all your browsing in an alternative web browser like iCab, which has a decent download manager, you might be able to get by without Filer. Both Filer and iFile can unzip and unrar—I prefer iFile to keep my file operations neat—and there are more specialized apps in the AppStore (e.g iUnarchive for pesky password-protected 7z files, urgh).

There are also other workflows using other Cydia tweaks e.g. download any file in Safari with Safari Download Manager and import from iFile into the media library using a gremlin plugin. Here's a guide for that workflow. Unfortunately neither SDM nor Gremlin are working on iOS5 but keep an eye out for when they eventually get updates (Technically you could substitute SDM with Safari Download Plug-in and Gremlin with Gremlin beta but those are buggy). There are also alternatives to iFile you should keep in mind including FinderMobile, MobileFinder, and good ol' Terminal. iFile is the best and worth the $5 IMO. It's always good to have options and importing into the music library is one of the jailbreak tweak functions Apple breaks with almost every new iOS update. It often takes months before some of those tweaks are working again.

You could also, you know,
get an Android phone already and not have to bother with all this jailbreaking nonsense. :p
Alright, I'm out. Someone pm me when the iPad 3 gets a jailbreak.
Dude, you're awesome! This really helps a lot, thank you for taking the time to do this.

And yeah I use a nexus one specifically because things like this are simpler, but I might have to switch to a 4S for other reasons.

Ugh, accidentally bricked my phone. I put androidlock XT on the phone and forgot the pattern (but I never enabled androidlock on settings screens....) so I couldn't get into my damn phone. I went in and deleted the androidlock XT.plist and my phone bricked. Sigh now I'm waiting for 5.0.1 to download.

Fuuuu, if only I could get into my iPhone file system

Ezalc

Question for the tech-saavy of this thread. I have a jailbroken 3rd gen iPod Touch with iOS version 4.1, I want to update that to a jailbroken 5.0 or 5.0.1. How would I go about doing this?

noah111

Still Alive
^You'd have to go about updating it to 5.0.1 somehow through iTunes, I think, and then JB it through a program. Or I think you can make a custom JB'd 5.0.1 ipsw file and use that via redsn0w.

Blackhead

Redarse
New Unlock Works for All iPhones, All Firmwares (Software Unlock for Jailbroken iPhones)
iClarified said:
A new unlock has been discovered that works for all iPhones and all firmware versions.

The method discovered by Loktar_Sun appears to exploit a logical bug in Apple's server and can be performed on any jailbroken iOS device. His procedure involves using Sam Bingner's SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module) package to perform a series of steps that unlocks your phone to use a specific SIM.

We've posted some detailed step by step unlock instructions which will help you.

It's thought that an update to SAM might make this process quicker and easier in the future.

Ezalc

So I tried to update my ipod 5.0 but that's apparently impossible now. Instead I updated my ipod to 5.1 and now when I try to jailbreak it, I can't because the device absolutely refuses to go into DFU mode. I have followed every goddamn guide I can find and I still can't do it. I was able to enter DFU mode when my ipod was on version 4.1, but now I just fucking can't. Every time I try to it just boots up because the Apple logo shows up too quickly. Am I the only one having this problem?

It's weird that I am seeing stories on Yahoo about jailbreaks for the new iPad. They are articles but they link you to a website that charges you like 30 bucks for the jailbreak. There is no way this seems legit, right?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there a good "clear lockscreen" winterboard theme for 5.0.1 that doesn't make the notification sliders look strange/cover the clock? Preferably with a tap to unlock feature if possible. The one I'm using is sort of messed up and doesn't work well with forecast. Thanks in advance!

Blackhead

Redarse
Quasar: a window manager for iPad
Big Boss said:
I’ve been developing a new tweak for iPads called Quasar. Quasar is a tweak that allows you to run your apps in windows in your iPad. Just like in a window-based operating system, you can resize, move, close or full-screen windows. Quasar is available in Cydia Store for US$9.99.

Quasar video demonstration

Screenshots:

LEJTa.jpg

M71iS.png

New iPad jailbreak tweak ‘Quasar’ allows for true iPad window based multitasking [Video]
iDownloadBlog said:
Quasar is a tweak that’s exclusive to jailbroken iPad’s, and it allows you to have a true window based multitasking session with your iPad.

As you know we’ve been fairly adamant about a true multitasking solution for the iPad for quite some time now, so we’re excited to see what Quasar can do for iPad users.

Full story and video walkthrough inside…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3h-IVYbrg

...small windows just don’t work on the iPad 2′s non-retina display. I have a feeling that once we get an iPad 3 jailbreak, this will work gloriously. In the meantime, it’s just really difficult to discern smaller text as a result of the reduced windows.

When taking everything into consideration, Quasar simply isn’t very practical in day to day use. Don’t get me wrong, it’s one of the most amazing and ambitious jailbreak tweak I’ve ever seen for the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, but I just can’t see myself gaining much practical benefit out of its current implementation...

Update: after speaking with the developer — Pedro Franceschi — he says he’s actively working on bug fixes for the next release, and he’s also working on adding Bluetooth keyboard support, which should make things even more interesting. Stay tuned!

Where's mah jailbreak for iPad 3 :|

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
is there an iphone 4s jailbreak out? Articles online say it is. uncertain whether it is Jailbreak or Unlock and or both.

It apparently is not out yet but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Looks real nice.

Edit: Okay it is out now. I played around with it and I like it a lot. Still trying to get notifications set up right but will have to check it out.. noticed that mail is coming in kinda slow

Push notifications is messed up for now. The developer says it will be fixed in the next few days.

is there an iphone 4s jailbreak out? Articles online say it is. uncertain whether it is Jailbreak or Unlock and or both.

only on 5.0 or 5.0.1, using the newest version of redsn0w or absinthe. there was an unlock available for a short time called "SAM activation" but apple patched whatever loophole it was using so I think right now the gevey sim is the only unlock solution

noah111

Still Alive
Quasar would be interesting if it could run the iPhone version of universal apps, and therefor fit two side by side portrait iPhone apps in iPad landscape mode. As-is it's just an experiment with little functional basis.

If someone were to implement this right, by adding a dedicated switcher panel (like the music/volume ones) that would let you go into side-by-side/window mode, it could be useful.

Sarye

Sparrow+ has been updated so it should work with push now.

push works but banner notification does not. Seems like the developer put in a quick fix and put the old sparrow push back in to tide us over. His twitter suggests that the next update should include the banner notification as well as other updates too.

Top Bottom