• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Shaneus

I've hardly seen it mentioned, but everyone here needs to try IconRotator. It's not in the usual repos as it's a "beta" but it's easily one of my favourites, because it doesn't really change anything when using your phone on it's side, just how the icons look. Genius.

Also, I like posting the AppInfo idea, gives a good indication of the tweaks that are out there. I'll put mine up in a sec.

BTW Greyface, how do you configure virtual memory? I wasn't even aware that it existed so I'll do some looking up now, but is it worthwhile?

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, I love IconRotator. I use it in conjunction with Springtomize so I can show 5 apps in the switcher, with 90% icon size. It looks really great imo.

Shaneus

I'll have to give that a shot. It was a bitch to find though, because every time I looked for something to do with landscape it was all about locking it, not rotating the icons.

I'm determined not to mess with the springboard (visually) if I can help it, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've hardly seen it mentioned, but everyone here needs to try IconRotator. It's not in the usual repos as it's a "beta" but it's easily one of my favourites, because it doesn't really change anything when using your phone on it's side, just how the icons look. Genius.

Also, I like posting the AppInfo idea, gives a good indication of the tweaks that are out there. I'll put mine up in a sec.

BTW Greyface, how do you configure virtual memory? I wasn't even aware that it existed so I'll do some looking up now, but is it worthwhile?

[plist] Increase RAM with Dynamic_Pager (Virtual Memory) (iOS 4.1 Compatible!) | iFans

I can't personally vouch for it though. It's worthwhile if you have the iPod Touch or an older iPhone, which were really tight with memory, but for the iPhone 4S it's not really an issue.

I'll have to give that a shot. It was a bitch to find though, because every time I looked for something to do with landscape it was all about locking it, not rotating the icons.

I'm determined not to mess with the springboard (visually) if I can help it, though.
I'm sure SBRotator 5 or Graviboard will tempt you to play around with springboard more. Iconbounce is good for the occasional laugh

Is there any chance they will make redsn0w or some other program able to update the 4S to 5.1 without updating your baseband before a jailbreak comes out?

I'd be fine updating to 5.1 now and waiting for a jailbreak, but I want my phone to remain unlockable so I can sell it easier in the future

Is there any chance they will make redsn0w or some other program able to update the 4S to 5.1 without updating your baseband before a jailbreak comes out?

I'd be fine updating to 5.1 now and waiting for a jailbreak, but I want my phone to remain unlockable so I can sell it easier in the future

Cant you do this with TinyUmbrella?

question.

is there a way to upgrade to the newest firmware but still keep all my custome stuff that I got from jailbreaking it?

I know I can not use the Itunes upgrade as that will delete all things thats been installed from cydia etc. but is there not a pre jailbreaked iOS5 update available somewhere that I just can install and it wont delete cydia stuff?

I got a question about updating a jailbroken iPod Touch 4 on iOS 4.2.

I jail broke my iPod Touch over a year ago. It was fun to play around with for a while, but I haven't done anything noteworthy with jailbreak tools in a long time. I'd like to get it up to the official iOS 5.1.

I'm not making this post because I expect to keep my JB hacks, tools and apps.

However, I've spent a fair bit of time tailoring the music and video collection on there, and I'd hate to lose that. It'll be time consuming to do that all over again.

So my main question is: If I do an update from a jailbroken iPod Touch, do I have to do a full restore and lose all my media in the process?

I want to make getting my iPod back on official firmware as painless as possible.

I got a question about updating a jailbroken iPod Touch 4 on iOS 4.2.

I jail broke my iPod Touch over a year ago. It was fun to play around with for a while, but I haven't done anything noteworthy with jailbreak tools in a long time. I'd like to get it up to the official iOS 5.1.

I'm not making this post because I expect to keep my JB hacks, tools and apps.

However, I've spent a fair bit of time tailoring the music and video collection on there, and I'd hate to lose that. It'll be time consuming to do that all over again.

So my main question is: If I do an update from a jailbroken iPod Touch, do I have to do a full restore and lose all my media in the process?

I want to make getting my iPod back on official firmware as painless as possible.
Not 100% sure about iPod Touch but, for the iPhone at least, if you update via iTunes you don't lose anything, just the jailbreak.

Munin

Guys I need help. On my iPhone I have apps bought with 2 different accounts. Ever since I jailbroke I cannot update the apps bought with one of them anymore...when I press Update in the App Store, it forces me to log in with the OTHER account, even though under "Settings" I am logged in with the account that has all the apps I want to update. The result being I get prompts for every app saying I have to buy it. Somehow it doesn't really get the account separation anymore.

I know I shouldn't have 2 accs to begin with but yeah...any way I can fix this?

Ok, it appears that my phone downloaded 5.1 overnight, as I am gettIng a prompt to install it.

Am I still able to jailbreak, before I install that? I've been on the fence for a while, as I grabbed Absithe a few weeks ago, but never did anything with it.

Do I need to wait until dev team finds a solution for 5.1?

RDreamer

I posted this over in the ios5 and iCloud OT, but haven't got any help there. It might be a jailbreak problem. My apps aren't downloading. They're stuck on waiting. Anything in my iTunes isn't downloading. My iTunes match songs aren't downloading. I can't figure out what to do. I've rebooted and restarted so many times, and turned on and of match and signed in and out of the store, synced. I just don't know what to do anymore...

Jubern

Ok, it appears that my phone downloaded 5.1 overnight, as I am gettIng a prompt to install it.

Am I still able to jailbreak, before I install that? I've been on the fence for a while, as I grabbed Absithe a few weeks ago, but never did anything with it.

Do I need to wait until dev team finds a solution for 5.1?

Wait. We need for new 5.1 specific tools to jailbreak it. Which might come soon, judging from the news.

I posted this over in the ios5 and iCloud OT, but haven't got any help there. It might be a jailbreak problem. My apps aren't downloading. They're stuck on waiting. Anything in my iTunes isn't downloading. My iTunes match songs aren't downloading. I can't figure out what to do. I've rebooted and restarted so many times, and turned on and of match and signed in and out of the store, synced. I just don't know what to do anymore...

I had this problem a couple months ago when I exchanged my iPhone at an apple store because it was failing to receive 1/2 the calls were making to me. I ended up restoring the device and re-downloading everything again. It was kinda a bit of a pain, but the icloud backups save everything that's not jailbroken. It seems that re-downloading a ton of apps does not work so great.

Dazzla

I'm having real trouble entering DFU mode on my brother in laws 3G. It has a gammy home button and the power button isn't great either. For instance I'm lucky if I can reset it whilst powered on with home and power. Sometimes it'll just take a screenshot, rarely it will reboot and most of the time does jack.

You can get the buttons to the point where you can reliably press one or the other but not simultaneously. This is making jail breaking a bitch.

I've done various devices dozens of times but these buttons are pissing me off.

I don't suppose there are any one click enter dfu mode applications on windows are there? iPhone 3G 4.2.1.

Cheers

Edit, I managed to get into DFU by lucking out and it actually restarting when holding home and power for 10 seconds then releasing power and still holding home for a further 10 seconds. It was the only way I could know for sure that power and home were held together! Still, all done now. left here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I came this close to buying an Apple TV3 today but just couldn't without knowing when the jailbreak was coming out and XBMC working properly. Hope it comes soon.

moowear

somewhat an ios noob,

I just bought a jailbroken iphone4 online. Version number is 5.0.1. When I restore the phone via itunes to factory settings, will it still be jailbroken?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I came this close to buying an Apple TV3 today but just couldn't without knowing when the jailbreak was coming out and XBMC working properly. Hope it comes soon.

I only bought an ATV1 after the jailbreak was possible, and an ATV2 after the jailbreak was possible on it. The core machine is getting increasingly good at doing stuff thanks to apps, but it'll never be useful to me if it can't run XBMC.

I only bought an ATV1 after the jailbreak was possible, and an ATV2 after the jailbreak was possible on it. The core machine is getting increasingly good at doing stuff thanks to apps, but it'll never be useful to me if it can't run XBMC.

Yep. Heh I almost caved today and went to go buy one with the expectation that I'd just wait it out and play around with it until then. However, after Googling the status of the jailbreak, the fact that it may be harder to discover scared me off. Would have bought knowing it would come sooner or later, but can't buy not knowing if it'll ever come at all.

Kareha

Not sure if this already got posted but found this interesting tweet from Musclenerd about the ATV3:

apple-tv-3g-jailbreak-musclenerd-ijailbreak.png

Not sure if this already got posted but found this interesting tweet from Musclenerd about the ATV3:

apple-tv-3g-jailbreak-musclenerd-ijailbreak.png

Not posted yet but that's the exact thing I read that made me not buy one today. Don't wanna buy it and find out I can't install XBMC on it. I also fear that since it's a less popular product, there is less of an effort to jailbreak it too.

Sounds like he should have just kept it to himself if he didn't want the publicity.

We're no worse off now than we were before he posted the video, as there are still 2 different jailbreaks being worked on that are separate than his.

Shaneus

Sounds like he should have just kept it to himself if he didn't want the publicity.

We're no worse off now than we were before he posted the video, as there are still 2 different jailbreaks being worked on that are separate than his.
Sounds exactly like the attention whores who worked on the PS3 breaks. Publicise you've done it, wait for followers, *then* notify everyone you won't release it.

But, is he holding off because 7000 followers is too many, or too few?

Sounds exactly like the attention whores who worked on the PS3 breaks. Publicise you've done it, wait for followers, *then* notify everyone you won't release it.

But, is he holding off because 7000 followers is too many, or too few?

He is the definition of an internet troll in real life. However the 'dreamteam' or whatever they call themselves aren't like him and the JB will find a way out nevertheless. Its better to just follow musclenerd who never resorts to the childish drama ionic resorts to, every single time.

Shaneus

He is the definition of an internet troll in real life. However the 'dreamteam' or whatever they call themselves aren't like him and the JB will find a way out nevertheless. Its better to just follow musclenerd who never resorts to the childish drama ionic resorts to, every single time.
Oh, there's real-life info on him out there? I'd love to have a look and laugh at him from the comfort of my computer ;)

linkboy

Exactly, someone will find and release an untethered jailbreak. Hopefully sooner, as my phone got fucked up and the app store died. The only way for me to fix it is to upgrade to 5.1 (I already miss Bitesms and my themes).

I are sad.

edit
Fixed it, thank god.

Gaaraz

Can anyone please recommend the best/most simple jailbreak guide for Apple TV 2?

This thing is genuinely 100% useless to me without jailbreak, but having things like Plex, iPlayer, ITV Player, 4od etc on there would be incredible - perfect for hooking up to the TV in the bedroom. Really need to jailbreak it ;_;

Kirby102

Can anyone please recommend the best/most simple jailbreak guide for Apple TV 2?

This thing is genuinely 100% useless to me without jailbreak, but having things like Plex, iPlayer, ITV Player, 4od etc on there would be incredible - perfect for hooking up to the TV in the bedroom. Really need to jailbreak it ;_;

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-jailbreaking-101-seas0npass - The actual guide.
http://support.firecore.com/home - Main questions.
http://forum.firecore.com/137 - For any other questions regarding downgrading and what not, it helped me when I did it back then :)

Unless your ATV2 is 5.0, then yeah... Don't think there is one yet.

linkboy

So is there anyway I could unlock a Sprint 4S running on ios 5.1 right now, or will I have to wait ?

You'll have to wait, just like the rest of us. No jailbreaks have been released for the A5 devices yet.

If anyone is thinking about installing iPhoto and the patch to fix it on 5.0.1, I don't recommend. It involves spoofing your phone to make the store think its 5.1, and it jacks a ton of shit up, prevents you from connecting to the App Store and it can cause you to lose your jailbreak.

That's what happened to me in the post above. I got lucky in that I was able to replace the file I edited with a clean one from another iPhone and it solved my problem, otherwise I would of have to upgrade to 5.1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I updated my apple TV 2 in the hope of getting airplay mirroring and putting plex back on it, but it seems I can't jailbreak the latest firmware, so am I just screwed for a while until something comes out? Read something about a tethered jailbreak being doable but hasn't it been released?

Top Bottom