• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

I'm anxious to jailbreak my iPhone for the first time....

But my brother in law said he has read that jailbreaking can cause issues with GameCenter-does anyone know of anything like this?

Kareha

I'm anxious to jailbreak my iPhone for the first time....

But my brother in law said he has read that jailbreaking can cause issues with GameCenter-does anyone know of anything like this?

Never heard of anything like that and I've been jailbreaking my iPod Touch 4G since Game Centre came out.

Kareha

Can't get it working, it goes through all the process but no copy of Cydia appearing on my home screen. Using an iPod Touch 4G which is listed as a compatible device /sadpanda

AndTAR

So long, my streak!

scaled.php

Shaneus

What benefits are there to upgrading to 5.1.1 over 5.0.1?

And if I'm not with the PC I usually sync to, am I boned until I get to the one I *am*?

Lace

Not sounding like the greatest start for this release. I'm thinking about holding off till later today to see if issues continue now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Jailbreaking has not, in the past, caused issues with GameCenter.

Piracy has, in the past, caused issues where GameCenter goes into Sandbox mode.

If it is the case that a jailbreak, on its own, causes GC issues, it can be discussed here. Otherwise, the conversation ends now.

For anyone who can't get it to work on a pre-A5 device you can jailbreak tethered with redsn0w then install the "rocky raccoon" package from Cydia to make it untethered

Jburton

Banned
I am hearing a possible fix is to restore your device via DFU mode or through iTunes (instead of running an erase through your device setting menu) and then running the jailbreak.

Quite a few are reporting this fixes the issue, running a restore through itunes now (iPad 2 wifi).

Will report back.

noah111

Still Alive
Updating my iPhone 4 to 5.1.1 right now. Then an iPad 1, iPod 3G, three iPod 4G's, another iPhone 4, and then iPad 3 next week. Hopefully it's all smooth sailing. :D

I am hearing a possible fix is to restore your device via DFU mode or through iTunes (instead of running an erase through your device setting menu) and then running the jailbreak.

Quite a few are reporting this fixes the issue, running a restore through itunes now (iPad 2 wifi).

Will report back.
This worked for me. :)

Jailbreaking has not, in the past, caused issues with GameCenter.

Piracy has, in the past, caused issues where GameCenter goes into Sandbox mode.

If it is the case that a jailbreak, on its own, causes GC issues, it can be discussed here. Otherwise, the conversation ends now.

Perfect. I have no intent of pirating any iOS apps-to me that's just the lowest of low. I just don't want my high scores and/or achievements to be broke! Thanks for the advice!

ant3b

Will report back.

This

Kareha

Got it working finally on my iPod Touch 4G. Previously I had used the OTA to update to 5.1.1, but someone on Reddit mentioned that they did a full restore via iTunes and downloaded the full iOS 5.1.1 to restore from. So I did that, ran Absinthe again and voila, it's worked :)

Kareha

Getting message "something went wrong" on Iphone 4 5.1.1 reset everything and didn't jailbreak before.

Did you do an OTA update to 5.1.1 of your phone, that seems to be what's causing the issues atm. If so try this:

* Connect your device to iTunes.
* Put your device into DFU mode (press Sleep and Home button together for ten seconds, release Sleep button and hold Home button until message appears).
* Restore your device from DFU mode.
* Run Absinthe.

Source

Pachimari

I made a backup and is now restoring my iPhone through iTunes, but it's weird it's downloading firmware 5.1.1 again, even though it's already installed on the phone itself.

noah111

Still Alive
I know we're all talking about the untethered jailbreak in here right now, but which out of these cydia tweaks are worth/not worth getting?:

Activator
AlbumArt On AppSwitcher
App Switcher Brightness
App Switcher Rotator
AppInfo
Black Keyboard
Booksstand
Bulletin
CloseEnhancer
Cyntact
DisableLaunch Pro
FastLock
Favorite Contacts for Notification Center
GridTab for Safari
iFile
iPhoto501Fix
iScreenSaver
KBShortcuts
Landscape Lock Rotation
LastApp
MathAlarm Plus
Move2Unlock
MusicGestures
NCSettings
NowListening
Photo Enhancer
Plugication
Pull To Refresh for Mail
Pull To Refresh Safari
ScrollingBoard
ScrollingBoard iPod-Music Dock Plugin
SpotDict
SpringFlash
Springround
Springtomize 2
Swipe Safari
SwipeBack
Swipebright
Switchy
Unfold
Zephyr

I have quite a few of these myself, but some i'm unfamiliar with. Wonder which of these you all use as well so I can go scavenging for new quality stuff without individually searching each one.

Think I might just wait for redsnow to be updated. Absinthe always gives me problems.

same here, when I first jailbroke my 4S with Absinthe after about 2 weeks the phone was literally unusable, the only way I could send texts was the quick compose feature of BiteSMS. Every app I tried to open just crashed immediately. So I restored to 5.0.1 and when redsn0w finally was updated to support 4S I jailbroke again and havent had a single problem. I'll be waiting for redsn0w

pulga

Banned
So, if my 4S is already running the 5.0.1 JB, is it safe to download the 5.1.1 update and then JB it again?

Edit: Also, what happens to all my Cydia apps? Do I have to redownload them again after the new JB? Is there an easy way to back them up?

Bossniak

Did you do an OTA update to 5.1.1 of your phone, that seems to be what's causing the issues atm. If so try this:

* Connect your device to iTunes.
* Put your device into DFU mode (press Sleep and Home button together for ten seconds, release Sleep button and hold Home button until message appears).
* Restore your device from DFU mode.
* Run Absinthe.

Source

Seemed to work. Thanks!

I'm really curious about adding Siri to the new iPad. I wonder if I should try and do what was done for the iPad 2 or wait until a few other people have done it.

Top Bottom