• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Pachimari

So when I go to Absinthe, it says error, because the iPhone has not been activated. What should I do? Should I set it up as a new device, then jailbreak and then restore from backup?

noah111

Still Alive
I have a jailbroken 5.0.1 iPad 2, what exactly do I need to do in order to update it to the 5.1.1 jailbreak?
Plug it in to iTunes and update it to 5.1.1. After that's done and you're running 5.1.1 on your iPad, open Absinthe and start the jail breaking process. Don't touch anything until the program says it's done.

You can download Absinthe (direct links) here for Windows, or here for Mac.

Is the iphone 3gs supported
Yes.

giga

Wpvm9.png

I can wait a week or two.

pulga

Banned
Asking this again since it seems im stuck at the bottom of the page for those with 50ppp. Is there any way to back up and restore the Cydia apps from my 5.0.1 JB 4S?

Absinthe 2.0 is running on my ipad 3 flawlessly!! Any recommended apps to make the ipad experience better?

noah111

Still Alive
I can wait a week or two.
Why exactly can it not be released?

Asking this again since it seems im stuck at the bottom of the page for those with 50ppp. Is there any way to back up and restore the Cydia apps from my 5.0.1 JB 4S?
The iTunes backup doesn't help with that, right? I use AppInfo to send myself a full list of my packages, makes remembering what tweaks (and sources iirc) you had a lot easier.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has anyone tried Qasar yet? Still waiting for Cydia sources to handle their load and show me packages.
Got it working finally on my iPod Touch 4G. Previously I had used the OTA to update to 5.1.1, but someone on Reddit mentioned that they did a full restore via iTunes and downloaded the full iOS 5.1.1 to restore from. So I did that, ran Absinthe again and voila, it's worked :)
Same here. Device now jailbroken.
I know we're all talking about the untethered jailbreak in here right now, but which out of these cydia tweaks are worth/not worth getting?:

Activator
AlbumArt On AppSwitcher
App Switcher Brightness
App Switcher Rotator
AppInfo
Black Keyboard
Booksstand
Bulletin
CloseEnhancer
Cyntact
DisableLaunch Pro
FastLock
Favorite Contacts for Notification Center
GridTab for Safari
iFile
iPhoto501Fix
iScreenSaver
KBShortcuts
Landscape Lock Rotation
LastApp
MathAlarm Plus
Move2Unlock
MusicGestures
NCSettings
NowListening
Photo Enhancer
Plugication
Pull To Refresh for Mail
Pull To Refresh Safari
ScrollingBoard
ScrollingBoard iPod-Music Dock Plugin
SpotDict
SpringFlash
Springround
Springtomize 2
Swipe Safari
SwipeBack
Swipebright
Switchy
Unfold
Zephyr

I have quite a few of these myself, but some i'm unfamiliar with. Wonder which of these you all use as well so I can go scavenging for new quality stuff without individually searching each one.

Here's my list from last time I had a jailbroken iPad (in Oct '11 iirc):

Action Menu - 1.2.3
Action Menu Plus Pack - 1.2.3
Activator - 1.5.6
afc2add - 1.01
Airplane SBSettings Toggle - 2.1
AppInfo - 1.4
AppList - 1.4.1
ArrangeStatusBar - 0.5-26
AttachmentSaver - 1.4.0
Autolock SBSettings - 4.2-1
BackForwardList for Safari - 1.0-3
BluSelect - 0.9.1-2
Browser Changer - 1.4-4
Browser Changer SBSettings Toggle - 1.0-1
BTstack - 0.3-1170
BTstack Keyboard - 1.0-25570
BTstack Mouse - 1.0-25562
BytaFont - 1.3.2
Calculator Widget - 1.0
Celeste Bluetooth File Sharing - 1.1-1
CyDelete - 2.0.4-2
EasyFindOnPage - 1.0-1
EnhancedTabs - 0.95
FaceForward - 1.0-1
FakeLocation - 1.5
Firewall iP - 2.01-2
FullForce - 1.3.3
FullScreen for iPad - 1.21-1
Gremlin2 - 2.1-2
iFile - 1.6.1-1
iMetal iPad - 1.1-2
Inspell - 1.3.2
IntelliStatusBarIcons - 0.93
iSHSHit - 1.0.11
Jooo Mod - 2.11
LastApp - 1:1.0.0-1
ListLauncher - 1.2-1
Lockscreen Dim Delay Control - 1.2.1.0
Mail Enhancer - 2.2-2
ManualCorrect Pro - 1.1.2
Mark Read - 1.0.1-1
Mobile Substrate - 0.9.3367+6.g629fcfa
MobileTerminal (NEW) - 520-1
MouseSupport - svn.r203
MultiCleaner - 2.9.2
Multitasktures - 1.0
MyWi 4.0 - 4.61.1
MyWi OnDemand - 4.50.6
Net Talk Toggle - 1.0
Netatalk - 2.0.4-7
New Curses - 5.7-12
OpenNotifier - 1.0-2
OpenNotifier Premium Pack - 1.1
OpenSSH - 5.8p1-9
OpenSSL - 0.9.8k-9
PhotoAlbums+ for iPad - 3.0.0.1
PhotoMail - 1.2-66
PreferenceLoader - 2.0.2-1
Push Mail SBSettings Toggle - 1.1
Push Notifications Toggle - 1.3
PwnTunes - 1.3.0.0-1
QuickScroll 2 - 0.2-2a
Read Later for ActionMenu - 0.1-2
Reset Safari for SBSettings - 1.1-3
RestoreTab for Safari - 1.1-1
RetinaPad - 1.2
Rich Text For Mail - 1.1
Safari Download Manager - 1.5.1-1
Safari Tab Closer - 1.3
Safari Upload Enabler - 1.0-4
SBAdBlockToggle - 2.3.5.5
SBSettings - 3.3.1
SBSettings VPN Toggle - 1.0-1
sbsettingstoggles - 3.2
SDM SBSettings - 1.0.0-1
Serious SBSettings HD - 1.2
Sleep To Lock - 1.2-5
Sleipnizer for Safari - 1.1-1
SplitMail for iPad - 0.2-1
SpotURL - 0.0.1-2
SpringBoardAccess - 0.2-974
SwipeToMoveCursor - 0.5-1
Tab+ - 0.8-1
TruPrint - 2.2.1
USB Mount SBSettings Toggle - 1.0.0
User Agent Faker - 1.1
User Agent Faker SBSettings Toggle - 1.0
Voice ActionMenu Plugin - 0.6-4
WebLeaps - 2.0.1
WiCarrier - 1.1.2
WinterBoard - 0.9.3211-1
YFiSelect4 - 1.0-1
YourTube HD - 1.3.1-1

giga

The iTunes backup doesn't help with that, right? I use AppInfo to send myself a full list of my packages, makes remembering what tweaks (and sources iirc) you had a lot easier.
I think it's pod2g's exploit so they give them the publicity/head start first.

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone remember when I was having trouble jailbreaking my 3rd generation iPod a while back? It just wouldn't go into DFU mode, even though the lock/home buttons are fully functional and I was doing it all currently (since i had already done it for an iPad and iPhone). It never worked out, just wouldn't get into DFU. So if i'm understanding correctly, I don't have to do that this time around, at all? Or am I not reading this right?

Just finished the jailbreak of my iPad 3 after restoring per GAF recommendation. I did the iCloud backup instead of backing up to my computer, as I didn't want multiple gigs of apps on my SSD. Worked just fine.

SO glad to have SBSettings back again. Not sure what else I'll want to put on here, but just having that back, along with being able to put things on the lock screen again are worth it.

Oh, and breaking the artificial limit on the number of apps you can put in a folder = win.

Pachimari

Any good sources for Cydia? I just jailbroke my phone but there's almost nothing in Cydia.

I don't understand why there's almost no packages in my Cydia? =/

pulga

Banned

Guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DFU restore worked for my ipad 2. ipad 3 went without a hitch :)

The iPad 2 was kind of a bitch to do. I'd suggest everyone to just do the DFU restore mode right away if it doesn't work the first time

noah111

Still Alive
Ok, I have a question. I was on 5.0.1 jailbroken and did a backup via iTunes. I then updated (also from iTunes) to 5.1.1. Now the problem is, when it was done, all my shit was severely unorganized. Nothing was in its correct spot and I have a million pages of apps. So i'm jailbreaking it now, but once that's done, what will happen if I restore from that JB 5.0.1 iTunes backup? Anything to worry about?

Pachimari

Is it normal that a HUGE amount of Packages can't be downloaded right now?

It says:

"The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed.

Depends: preferenceloader >=1.1
Depends: com.chpwn.iconsupport"

Just one example of many.

sonitii

I have an AT&T iPhone 4S currently with iOS 5.1.

If I update it to to 5.1.1 and jailbreak it, is there some program or app that will allow me to Unlock it for usage on GSM carriers overseas?

I'm going on a trip to Asia next month and would like to be able to just pop in a local pre-paid micro SIM into my iPhone and have it work without issue.

If not possible, what would my options be?

Blackhead

Redarse
Wohoo. Paid my $10 for Quasar and after multiple attempts to connect to BigBoss's servers, it finally installed. The icons on Quasar itself aren't updated for the retina display but it seems everything else is. Time to get that bluetooth mouse and keyboard :) Hopefully Apple will deliver a proper solution soon or we get other devices with retina displays in the near future.

aGkAs.jpg

Is it normal that a HUGE amount of Packages can't be downloaded right now?

It says:

"The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed.

Depends: preferenceloader >=1.1
Depends: com.chpwn.iconsupport"

Just one example of many.
That's a result of the servers being hammered.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4S currently with iOS 5.1.

If I update it to to 5.1.1 and jailbreak it, is there some program or app that will allow me to Unlock it for usage on GSM carriers overseas?

I'm going on a trip to Asia next month and would like to be able to just pop in a local pre-paid micro SIM into my iPhone and have it work without issue.

If not possible, what would my options be?

No software unlock yet. Wait or try a hardware unlock

AndTAR

BTstack Mouse is surprisingly usable on the iPad 3. Was all choppy on the 1st gen.

Having that mouse/touch flexibility is really relaxing, too bad it still doesn't have scroll wheel support.

AndTAR

I really wish we would see such split-screen multitasking in iOS 6. I have a bad feeling they'll just trow in Maps 2.0 and some other visually attractive app, though.

With public interest sparked by Quasar, someone will probably realize the concept soon - or at least before Apple.

noah111

Still Alive
Here's one such concept (from a few weeks before Quasar showed up actually)

iPad Multilayer concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYwStcd5y0
Yeah, I remember seeing those when Jeff posted them. I think the problem is we're pursuing desktop-like multi-window features rather than tackling the issue of multitasking independently. No matter what, I really don't want multi window apps on my iPad. It's pointless. On a desktop, your windows are literally above something tangible, a pane of files (desktop). With this stuff, the background space is pointless. Why have it function that way at all? It should be a gridded windows layout, side-by-side, etc.

Pachimari

So I installed iBlacklist, then I installed InfiniFolders but then iBlacklist got removed from my phone. Then I installed it again and this time InfiniFolders is gone. It seems like everytime I install a new package the one before it gets removed. Why is that?

Oh seems like InfiniFolders erase iBlacklist while installing. Anyway, what is BigBoss' repository?

Kareha

2.0.1 has been released at the same link:

Version 2.0.1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- fixed a possible hang that could occur in certain situations

Jailbroke mostly for the sparrow push notifications, but it seems they don't give any on screen notification.. Just a small ding and a number on the icon so far :/

mine is staying at sending initial jailbreak data for the last 8 minutes. is this normal?

EDIT: and now it is saying problem connecting.

noah111

Still Alive
I just completed my phone and re-downloading all my old tweaks. Man that was a bitch, Cydia should really offer some kind of backup/restore method or something.

Anyway, time to do my sister's iPhone that's still un-jailbroken running iOS 4.3. :lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Upgraded my sister's iPhone 4 to 5.1.1 through iTunes. It jailbroke, Cydia is there, but Cydia doesn't have any packages. Is this Cydia's problem, mine, or the jailbreaks?

Pachimari

Upgraded my sister's iPhone 4 to 5.1.1 through iTunes. It jailbroke, Cydia is there, but Cydia doesn't have any packages. Is this Cydia's problem, mine, or the jailbreaks?
I had the same, I think it's because Cydia is getting hammered right now. I can't install anything either without it erasing other packages.

noah111

Still Alive
mine is staying at sending initial jailbreak data for the last 8 minutes. is this normal?
EDIT: and now it is saying problem connecting.
Mine's been stuck on "sending initial jailbreak data" for a while. I'm guessing their servers are getting slammed. :\

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Eh. I should've known this would happen anyway. Good thing jailbreaking to 5.1.1 doesn't affect anything else on the device. I'll just wait for 48 hours or so when everyone is done hitting up Cydia then get my full-scale jailbreak on.

Pachimari

But I got a question. When installing a package and it deleting the last installed package, does that have to do with Cydia being slammed? Nothing in BigBoss' repository shows up btw.

jmrjS.png

This is what I'm getting every time I try to download an App from Cydia, I am not Jailbroken to 5.1.1 yet, I want to download "AptBackup" (as instructed by said reddit user)

But yeah I cannot download that or even OpenSSH etc. from Cydia...seems like the servers are getting bogged down, I did a quick Google search and I got this article about it

http://tinyurl.com/6p7zac8

Wonder if it's related, my message is totally different though.

Guess it's wiser to sit and wait a few days. no rush.

Blackhead

Redarse
But I got a question. When installing a package and it deleting the last installed package, does that have to do with Cydia being slammed? Nothing in BigBoss' repository shows up btw.
No that's a rare app conflict. It should inform you at installation that the other app will be removed. Contact the developers and see what they can do about it.

Top Bottom