• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

cubanb

Banned
Just jail broke my iPad 3, not sure what to do next. I've rooted all my android phones and tablets , so I figured I should do it with my iPad . Any guides on good iPad tweaks?

Johnny, quit the app and if that doesn't work, go to the changes tab and select refresh. That worked for me.
thanks I got it working again, Not sure if it was something on my end or Cydia's, I did restart and this time on 3G instead of WiFi and I am good to go. about to jailbreak now, I kinda wanted to wait for RedSn0w, but I don't think I can resist waiting...Wish me luck: Two devices to jailbreak iPhone 4 and iPad. will report back how it went...

Before I begin I have a quick question regarding the following method.

1. Download aptbackup and run it (if already jailbroken on older OS... backs up your jailbreak apps)
2. Back up the device in iTunes
3. Put the device in DFU mode
4. Restore the device in iTunes
5. Set the device up as a new device
6. Run Absinthe 2.0
7. Connect to iTunes and restore from backup
8. Open Cydia and download aptbackup
9. open aptbackup and click restore
10. All your jailbreak tweaks are restored and you are up to date!

Do I need to do step #3?
Seems unnecessary, no? after backing up, just hitting Restore on iTunes should work, no? I am on 5.0.1 Jailbroken on my iPhone 4 currently, restoring to a fresh iTunes 5.1.1

Can someone confirm if DFU is necessary?

Bruiserk

What is the best way to Jailbreak with Redsn0w? Wait until an official JB version, or update to 5.1.1 OTA, jailbreak tether and download the exploit via Cydia?

Did you do an OTA update to 5.1.1 of your phone, that seems to be what's causing the issues atm. If so try this:

* Connect your device to iTunes.
* Put your device into DFU mode (press Sleep and Home button together for ten seconds, release Sleep button and hold Home button until message appears).
* Restore your device from DFU mode.
* Run Absinthe.

Source

Doesn't work for me... But i'm not getting any errors actually, absinthe is just crashing while sendind initial data...

knitoe

Well, it's just what I have always used. I might try Absinthe later tonight.

First time I using Absinthe and it couldn't be any easier. Update to official firmware 5.1.1, connect a USB cable, start up Absinthe, press Jailbreak button, wait and done. Did it on my 3/4 devices so far. It just Cydia is getting hammer so it's slow going.

I apologize if this has been asked previously-I just jail broke, and tried to install SBSettings-when it's downloading I see Internal Server Errors.

What gives?

some interesting tidbits from this interview with the hackers responsible for the new jailbreak:

We’ll soon have the complete interview published, but in the meantime we’ve learned some things that just couldn’t wait, so we’ll make a few posts in which we detail what the gurus of the jailbreaking had to say.

One of the more interesting things we’ve learned is that they already have the plans laid out for cracking the upcoming iOS 6.

“We won't give up on jailbreaking iOS devices because this is too important for us and we already have a part of the jailbreak for iOS 6 and we will be ready right on time for it,” Cyril said.

So how does the development process of an iOS jailbreak look like?

“We will not give you the exact recipe, but we have other exploits that we won't release at any time. This is our secret. It allows us to inject stuff into new devices and to start dumping the memory. When we have the dumps, we look at different ways of finding the vulnerability,” he explained.

According to the hackers, some of the main ingredients are reverse engineering of the kernel spiced with some fuzzing.

“Each member of the team works differently and this usually leads to finding vulnerabilities quickly. We find them in one month or two and then we start exploiting them. We start this process only when the final version of the system is released,” Cyril added.

“That’s why we always have a delay after the release to do a jailbreak. Because we need to be assured that what we do will work for sure, that they don't fix it in the beta 3 or beta 4, so we start only when the release is here.”

Update. We want to clarify that the hackers didn't actually start working on the iOS 6 jailbreak. When they say that they already have part of it, they refer to the fact that they have certain exploits which they believe they'll be able to use to crack the upcoming versions.

Mairu

Haven't jailbroken/updated in awhile, just wondering if someone can confirm this is the right process. I'm currently on a tethered (redsn0w) jailbreak of ios 5.0, so...

1. backup to itunes
2. restore as new device on 5.1.1
3. jailbreak with absinthe
4. restore from backup?

I'll have to redownload the stuff I have installed through cydia though, right?

Haven't jailbroken/updated in awhile, just wondering if someone can confirm this is the right process. I'm currently on a tethered (redsn0w) jailbreak of ios 5.0, so...

1. backup to itunes
2. restore as new device on 5.1.1
3. jailbreak with absinthe
4. restore from backup?

I'll have to redownload the stuff I have installed through cydia though, right?

How can you restore from backup after setting up as a new device? (Still maintaining the JB, i mean)

Well, I already jailbroke.....am I screwed?
depends, do you have any issues? are you on JB iOS 5.1.1? and if you have no problems, then why would you want to Restore From Backup? if you do, Do not panic, find out which Backup you want to restore from, most likely iTunes saved a recent one.

So go ahead and hit the "Restore" button on the (first)"Summary" page on iTunes and when iTunes asks you to "Restore from a Previous Backup?" or "Restore as a New Device?" pick the latter, and follow the steps I mentioned (which are...Restore NEW> Jailbreak> Restore from Backup)

Basically the key to a successful jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0.1 is to jailbreak it on a fresh NEW install and AFTER THE JAILBREAK, go back and recover your backed up stuff, it's simple really, you are not losing any data, photos, contacts, registered email accounts...anything, iTunes saves all that with "Backup". it's as if you are telling iTunes to hold all your stuff in your computer for a few minutes, while you go and JB your phone, then come back and pick it all up.

As long as the Absinthe 2.0.1 jailbreak goes well, outside of that you cannot go wrong.

How can you restore from backup after setting up as a new device? (Still maintaining the JB, i mean)

Because "Restore from Backup" ONLY means restoring all your personal(ised) data from backup, meaning, your contacts in your iPhone for example, your email accounts, your notes, your game saves, any other native iDevice settings: WiFi password for example. Restore from backup has nothing to do with restoring the iOS version.

The only time iTunes decides to install the latest iOS, and the LATEST ONLY! is when you want to just hit "RESTORE as a NEW DEVICE" or "UPDATE" on the "Summary" page of iTunes. iTunes will never mess about with the iOS anywhere else, "Restore from Backup" is VERY DIFFERENT than "Restore."

I had a jailbroken 4s on 5.0.1 unlocked for tmobile using a gevey. Today I updated to 5.1.1 and Im having trouble finding signal with the gevey, any ideas?

edit: nevermind, tried it about 20 times, finally got it

Reg

Banned
I've got an ipad 3 sitting here and I'm thinking of jailbreaking it. Would I still be able to download apps from the apple appstore after jailbreaking? Or do they lock you out?

depends, do you have any issues? are you on JB iOS 5.1.1? and if you have no problems, then why would you want to Restore From Backup? if you do, Do not panic, find out which Backup you want to restore from, most likely iTunes saved a recent one.

So go ahead and hit the "Restore" button on the (first)"Summary" page on iTunes and when iTunes asks you to "Restore from a Previous Backup?" or "Restore as a New Device?" pick the latter, and follow the steps I mentioned (which are...Restore NEW> Jailbreak> Restore from Backup)

Basically the key to a successful jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0.1 is to jailbreak it on a fresh NEW install and AFTER THE JAILBREAK, go back and recover your backed up stuff, it's simple really, you are not losing any data, photos, contacts, registered email accounts...anything, iTunes saves all that with "Backup". it's as if you are telling iTunes to hold all your stuff in your computer for a few minutes, while you go and JB your phone, then come back and pick it all up.

As long as the Absinthe 2.0.1 jailbreak goes well, outside of that you cannot go wrong.

Because "Restore from Backup" ONLY means restoring all your personal(ised) data from backup, meaning, your contacts in your iPhone for example, your email accounts, your notes, your game saves, any other native iDevice settings: WiFi password for example. Restore from backup has nothing to do with restoring the iOS version.

The only time iTunes decides to install the latest iOS, and the LATEST ONLY! is when you want to just hit "RESTORE as a NEW DEVICE" or "UPDATE" on the "Summary" page of iTunes. iTunes will never mess about with the iOS anywhere else, "Restore from Backup" is VERY DIFFERENT than "Restore."

I see. Thank you. Finally managed to jailbreak this bitch without having to lose my backup!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I've got an ipad 3 sitting here and I'm thinking of jailbreaking it. Would I still be able to download apps from the apple appstore after jailbreaking? Or do they lock you out?
Trust me, if jailbreaking locked out the app store entirely, it would be a LOT less popular. You're good.

already bored. I never did find a lot of good reasons to jailbreak iPads.

I guess for SBSettings and Infinifolders. Without a good lock screen app like IntelliscreenX formatted for the iPad, I'm at a loss for what to install. idk. I have like 60 things installed for my iPhone.

already bored. I never did find a lot of good reasons to jailbreak iPads.

I guess for SBSettings and Infinifolders. Without a good lock screen app like IntelliscreenX formatted for the iPad, I'm at a loss for what to install. idk. I have like 60 things installed for my iPhone.
I got bored of it after a few mins and already restored back to official firmware. I really couldn't find anything that interested me in cydia. Was a waste of time but I had nothing better to do anyways.

AndTAR

For me, these tweaks were more than enough to warrant a jailbreak:

- F.lux
- SwipeSelection
- Zephyr (slightly buggy when held upside-down, but needing only one finger for gestures is surprisingly relieving. Also great for stylus use.)
- SplitMail (makes a lot of sense on the iPad 3, as the smaller text becomes perfectly legible)
- FolderEnhancer
- MultiIconMover

I was going to add Safari Download Manager as well, but apparently it still hasn't been updated for iOS 5 - lol.

Jubern

Does the JB still work with the modified 5.1.1 that came out? Or do you need to use the previous one? If it is the latter, can anyone direct me to to somewhere I can d/l it please?

Shaneus

I stay away from Winterboard. Too much memory usage on basically any skin, makes it quite unstable. I prefer the icon tweaks like Rotator and Springtomize (to resize, transparentise and remove labels off icons, amongst other things).

Pachimari

Yeah, I might stay away from Winterboard and just get LockInfo for the Lockscreen.

But after having installed a few packages, my phone's battery is already draining much faster. =/

Btw, do you guys know a package that can block numbers? My ex is miscalling and texting me all the time, so I would like to be able to block incoming calls and messages. I know there's iBlacklist but it doesn't work together with InfiniFolders.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can you guys recommend a great theme for a jailbroken phone?

Principium HD? Jaku? Suave? Glasklart?

Depends on your taste. Browse the macthemes forum and decide.

I don't bother with themes anymore but Jaku is tempting:

xj9HW.jpg

Will probably buy it just for the sbsettings icon set:

wLm6N.jpg

Shaneus

Yeah, I might stay away from Winterboard and just get LockInfo for the Lockscreen.
I've never even used Lockinfo because of it's apparent issues. Honestly, with the occasional exception (f.lux) I really only stick with apps that gently modify the OS (panarama shot flag, keyboard and icon tweaks etc), not run in the background as an entire app as they have a tendency to use precious resources and cause shit to not work good. But that's just my thing :)

Buy Springtomize first before anything else, as that seems to have pretty much all the tweaks that can be done to the dashboard (like I mentioned above with the icons) all in one spot. Some basic lockscreen customisation, too.

Pachimari

I already have Springtomize and it's awesome, but I also had LockInfo 4 years ago and it were amazing and made my Lockscreen look fantastic.

Anyway, I seriously don't understand this. Now I have jailbroken an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S and both have lost all of their apps after I have jailbroken them and restored from backup.

What am I doing wrong?

Blackhead

Redarse
I already have Springtomize and it's awesome, but I also had LockInfo 4 years ago and it were amazing and made my Lockscreen look fantastic.

Anyway, I seriously don't understand this. Now I have jailbroken an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S and both have lost all of their apps after I have jailbroken them and restored from backup.

What am I doing wrong?

In iOS5 the 'restore from backup' no longer syncs the apps during the restore but after the restore is complete. That's Apple's decision. Keep the device connected to iTunes and you'll see the sync icon showing that apps are being transferred over.

mooooose

I'm using Intelliscreen X, Folder Enhancer, and WinterBoard (just icon labels turned off). Should I see performance issues? Current RAM is sitting at 220 MB. I know how iOS handles RAM but I'm just not sure about Intelliscreen because it's new to me and has a lot going on.

Also Messages+ is the SHIT!

I DON'T like that with Intelliscreen, when I get a text and go to Notification center and tap on it, it gives me all these options to Call, Reply, View, Facetime, etc. If it's a text, I just want to reply! Not hit these tiny little laggy buttons. But a small price to pay, I guess. Wish there was a way to turn that off.

MooMoo

Is it possible to unlock a Verizon phone to use on the Sprint network? It's an iPhone 4 running on some really old revision of iOS. Is there a quick and easy guide for doing this? Kinda glanced through the links in the OP but they're all talking about having iOS 5 and whatnot so I'm kinda hesitant to follow them.

Top Bottom