• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

linkboy

A few tweaks that I use whenever I jailbreak my phone

StayOpen (free)

This makes it so the App Store doesn't close when you install an app. It really pisses me off when it does that.

Password Pilot (free)

The App Store will remember your password so you don't have to type it in all the time. It gets annoying (to me) after a while).

Infinifolders (paid app)

Removes the 12 app limit for folders.

3G Unrestrictor (paid app)

Lets you use Facetime over 3G or bypass the file size limit on the App Store.

here are some tweaks that I always use:

biteSMS - replaces default SMS app, its main purpose was to be able to reply to or compose a text from anywhere without closing the app you were currently in, but SMS works well enough in iOS 5 that I mostly just use it now for some of its other features like putting timestamp next to every message and automatically resending failed texts

cyntact - adds thumbnail pictures in your contact app list

five icon dock - pretty self explanitory

infinifolders - gets rid of icon limit in folders, keeps default look

ncsettings - similar to sbsettings just a lot less bloated, just adds a row of toggles in notification center for common things like wifi / airplane mode etc.

NoAccSplash - I use this for when i am playing music from my iPhone in my car, it gets rid of the Accessory Connected screen and lets you browse your music app like normal

NoNewsIsGoodNews - just hides the newsstand app

PhotoAlbums+ - modifies the default photos app to add more functionality. lets you have a private section that is password protected as well as being able to actually move pictures from your camera roll to other folders instead of them showing up in both places

Popup Blocker - I only use this to block the "accessory not supported" pop up but it has the ability to block other pop ups as well like low battery

software update killer - simply removes the badge from Settings when a new version of iOS comes out, also think it gets rid of the update button so it doesnt accidentally get updated

switchy - adds another row in the app switcher as well as adding an icon to clear all apps at once, the settings icon and brightness adjust to the app switcher

TetherMe - cheaper and most likely less detectable version of MyWi

Shawsie64

Banned
Absinthe said my device isn't supported.. Its a new ipad 3, I take it you have to download the latest update off itunes for it to work?

I've never jailbroken an iphone before and I have a virgin Sprint iPhone 4S that came with 5.1. So I just upgrade to 5.1.1 and do the steps in jailbreaking it using Absinthe?

If I understood correctly, jailbreaking iphone 4S's that came with 5.1 wasn't possible before this release?

scently

Is there any tweak on ipad that can let me select btw 3g and edge? Because mine keeps dropping to E when my other devices can clearly get 3g.

Pachimari

Is there any better Siri-like tweak for iPhone 4 than Sara? (don't say Spire). It doesn't seem to work with iOS 5.1.1 - can anyone confirm?

noah111

Still Alive
Swipe selection on iPhone is pretty shitty. It can't handle how fast i'm typing. Needs to deadzone/delay options. Not to mention it makes KBShortcuts almost useless/inoperable.

noah111

Still Alive
What about iPad?
The iPad is just as worse from what i've experienced, but I mentioned the iPhone version since i've used it extensively and tried to adapt my typing to suit it, but that's just not worth it. Ended up typing slower. Don't get me wrong, the functionality is genius, it's just implemented in a shoddy way. Typing fast, it accidentally registers small swipes left/right when you're hitting one key after another quick enough.

You know what, come to think of it they should handle this like KBShortcuts does; focus on the space bar. Or at least make it optional, so the swiping is limited to the space key.

Blackhead

Redarse
Swipe left/right on the keyboard to move the text selection cursor, and hold Shift + swipe left/right on the keyboard to select text.

It stops some of the regular keyboard shortcuts like slide from shift key to capitalize or slide from alt key to quickly type an alt character or number. I had to change my typing style for SwipeSelection. I'm still not sure if the trade-off is worth the tweak yet but I'm love it every time I have to use it.

My problem with KBShortcuts is that I never remember what most of the shortcuts are. Also I often accidentally triggered the translate shortcut from typing too fast on the iPhone. Bah.

Just use a hardware keyboard I guess.

noah111

Still Alive
It stops some of the regular keyboard shortcuts like slide from shift key to capitalize or slide from alt key to quickly type an alt character or number. I had to change my typing style for SwipeSelection. I'm still not sure if the trade-off is worth the tweak yet but I'm love it every time I have to use it.

My problem with KBShortcuts is that I never remember what most of the shortcuts are. Also I often accidentally triggered the translate shortcut from typing too fast on the iPhone. Bah.
Holy shit, how did I not know about this?! :lol

And yeah, I use KBShortcuts exclusively for A/C/X/V abilities, which are not hard to remember since you use the exact same ctrl+C/V abilities on desktop keyboard to copy paste, etc.

Blackhead

Redarse
Speaking of keyboard tweaks, don't forget deleteworld and showcase. I haven't tried iKeyWi for iPad yet (adds another row to the keyboard—usually used for numbers).

Just wanna say thanks to whomever reccomendations GridTab in this thread. Fucking awesome.
Doesn't work for iPad :(

That was the first thing I tried, it didn't help. Thanks anyway, any other suggestions guys?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Bite SMS (or the last thing you installed before that happened)
Hope I am not too late, or hope you at least resolved the issue, just uninstall and reinstall the last three things you installed via Cydia, might work...

EDIT: Haha! totally quoted the wrong person, fixed.

Just wanna say thanks to whomever reccomendations GridTab in this thread. Fucking awesome.

Seconded.

e: I'm trying to jailbreak my phone (4 GSM), I get to "Sending initial jailbreak data" and then nothing happens. How long should this take? I left it like, 20 minutes, eventually it crashed. Trying again now.

Can anyone here confirm if RetinaPad is compatible with iPad 3 (New iPad) on this latest jailbreak? don't want to drop the coin, if it wont work.

EDIT: OK WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT INSTALL RetinaPad on your iPad 3, bad news! I had to do a restore!

Can anyone here confirm if RetinaPad is compatible with iPad 3 (New iPad) on this latest jailbreak? don't want to drop the coin, if it wont work.

EDIT: OK WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT INSTALL RetinaPad on your iPad 3, bad news! I had to do a restore!

Unless I'm missing something, RetinaPad shouldn't even be necessary on the iPad 3, since iPhone apps already run at their native retina resolution on it.

Kikarian

just posted this on the Iphone 4S thread. Suppose it would be best to post it here.

I've just jailbroke my 4s. Everything is fine, but just recently it's come up saying "No Service" . Does anyone know what I could do?

I've rebooted, put Airplane mode on. But still nothing is working.

Unless I'm missing something, RetinaPad shouldn't even be necessary on the iPad 3, since iPhone apps already run at their native retina resolution on it.

I wanted to get it for WhatsApp, so I can enjoy WhatsApp on my iPad in full page glory without the "blurry zoom"...no cigar!! but at least I can get WhatsApp on my iPad which was the main goal anyway!! :)

Kareha

Seconded.

e: I'm trying to jailbreak my phone (4 GSM), I get to "Sending initial jailbreak data" and then nothing happens. How long should this take? I left it like, 20 minutes, eventually it crashed. Trying again now.

Are you using the latest 2.0.2 version, that one was updated for a certain GSM firmware.

Hey, sorry for the complete ignorance of my question, but i'm trying to unlock an iphone 4 on 5.1.1, if I jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0, is there another step to unlocking to phone to other sims after that?

Pachimari

Did you do an OTA update to 5.1.1 of your phone, that seems to be what's causing the issues atm. If so try this:

* Connect your device to iTunes.
* Put your device into DFU mode (press Sleep and Home button together for ten seconds, release Sleep button and hold Home button until message appears).
* Restore your device from DFU mode.
* Run Absinthe.

Source

I don't get this, shouldn't I do this?

- Connect your device to iTunes.
- Put your device into DFU mode (press Sleep and Home button together for ten seconds, release Sleep button and hold Home button until message appears).
- Set up as new device.
- Run Absinthe.
- Restore from backup.

?

pulga

Banned
Guys, tried updating my phone from a JB'ed 5.0.1 and it's not working. The screen is currently showing the iTunes logo and a usb connector. I'm going into DFU mode and iTunes is telling me it encountered an unknown error (1600) and can't restore my phone. What the fuck do I do?

Edit: Nevermind. I hate you guys for making me slug through other forums looking for a tinyumbrella fix.

noah111

Still Alive
Is there a Cydia app that will let me remove the stock apple icons like notepad ect on my ipad?
There are probably some cydia tweak out there that lets you hide apps, but I recommend Springtomize 2. It's a must have for a hundred other reasons. You'll thank me later.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
On 5.0.1 at the moment... what exactly is in 5.1.1 that makes it worth upgrading to? 4S, btw.
-Slide up on the now always there camera icon on the lockscreen to quickly open the cam
-smaller unlock bar (it's easier to use)
-Japanese Siri
-definitely feels a bit faster and zippier (I'm also on 4S)
-I've found that some of the latest updates to apps run better on 5.1.1. Instacast was getting crashy on 5.0.1.. Now it's good again.

I forgot how damn good jailbreaks are! That being said, I've been out of the loop since January. Has there been anything significant that's happened in the last few months that I'm missing out on?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the way... just a warning that AptBackup kinda screwed me up. It shouldn't be a problem if you are careful, but be aware.

After I used AptBackup to restore my jailbreak apps and tweaks, it appeared to delete all my apps. I plugged into iTunes and it was clear that the apps were still there, judging by my 30gb worth of "other" data on the phone. I disconnected and all the apps appeared again.

The problem was.. my iTunes backed up that I had no apps on the phone, and then the next time I plugged in my phone it made that a reality. It deleted everything off the phone. The apps are still on my PC, ready to redownload... but goodbye to all my saved games, settings, etc :(

Totally NOT worth it. I used AptBackup just to restore 5 bloody jailbreak apps :p

If you use AptBackup, just make sure that it hasn't mistakenly hidden all your apps when you backup. I think that hidden apps thing was a momentary problem that wouldn't have come back.. but I made the mistake of backing up during that illusion of no apps :(

Top Bottom