• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Shawsie64

Banned
My camera connection kit came in the mail today, just realized with the jailbreak can plug storage into the ipad and play movies with ifile and VLC, awesome.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My camera connection kit came in the mail today, just realized with the jailbreak can plug storage into the ipad and play movies with ifile and VLC, awesome.
Oh shit, really? I've got a camera connection kit I used with my OG iPad, but never knew about this.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's just as simple as using iFile and a media player. So I could buy a 32GB SD card and use that as my video player for external shit? EPIC.

Nelo Ice

Banned
By the way... just a warning that AptBackup kinda screwed me up. It shouldn't be a problem if you are careful, but be aware.

After I used AptBackup to restore my jailbreak apps and tweaks, it appeared to delete all my apps. I plugged into iTunes and it was clear that the apps were still there, judging by my 30gb worth of "other" data on the phone. I disconnected and all the apps appeared again.

The problem was.. my iTunes backed up that I had no apps on the phone, and then the next time I plugged in my phone it made that a reality. It deleted everything off the phone. The apps are still on my PC, ready to redownload... but goodbye to all my saved games, settings, etc :(

Totally NOT worth it. I used AptBackup just to restore 5 bloody jailbreak apps :p

If you use AptBackup, just make sure that it hasn't mistakenly hidden all your apps when you backup. I think that hidden apps thing was a momentary problem that wouldn't have come back.. but I made the mistake of backing up during that illusion of no apps :(

Well same thing just happened to me and now I have to redownload all my tweaks and apps sigh. Along with configuring everything to how I had it before =(.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well same thing just happened to me and now I have to redownload all my tweaks and apps sigh. Along with configuring everything to how I had it before =(.

I know that feel bro :p

Oh well, sometimes it's good to restart. I took this opportunity to leave a bunch of less used apps off the phone.

Shaneus

Any idea if that'd work with the 4S as well, or is it iPad only?

I'd assume that somehow, with the j/b it'd be "unlocked" but you can never assume these things...

PS. It's a bit late and I don't want to sound like a bastard with hindsight, but buy PkgBackup. It's $8 or something but it makes upgrading then restoring SO much easier. Being able to back up all settings (ALL of them) to Dropbox and restore them after a fresh upgrade pays for itself after one go.

Well, I'm trying out my Gevey ApplenBerry for the 4S and can't get the data to work on my Three UK sim I got. I guess I'll just have to jailbreak and unlock the old fashioned way.

The_Joker

and how do you do this? my ipad always says that the usb device needs to much power...

and where can i find the usb stick in ifile? do i have to copy the video from the stick on my ipad or can i play it directly from the stick?

You sould try XBMC too... With ifile you can edit a config file of XBMC and add the SD card as a source... That way you can plug your SD card and browse it directly through XBMC...

And since XBMC can play fullHd movies due hardware acceleration, this gets fucking epic *o*

demented

I have an ipad1 that still has 4.3.3 on it and I'm interested in upgrading to 5.1.1 now. I downloaded absinthe and ipsw file and I know how to upgrade and then jailbreak but my question is about backup.

Will all my things be saved? I will of course do backup in itunes and everything but I want to be 100% sure my books, comics, apps, documents and all that stuff are saved before upgrading. What exactly will I lose if anything?

Is there a jailbreak app which leaves all tabs as active. E.g. If i have a stock market open on one tab it updates while i have the tab opened. When i change to another tab the refresh on the page stops, is there a way all the tabs remain active as long as safari is open?

I have an ipad1 that still has 4.3.3 on it and I'm interested in upgrading to 5.1.1 now. I downloaded absinthe and ipsw file and I know how to upgrade and then jailbreak but my question is about backup.

Will all my things be saved? I will of course do backup in itunes and everything but I want to be 100% sure my books, comics, apps, documents and all that stuff are saved before upgrading. What exactly will I lose if anything?

You should loose nothing. The only thing that will be momentarily lost is your cydia tweaks... Their settings are saved and restored, so it´s only a matter of you reinstalling them to get just as they were. There are infact some tweaks that save a list of your cydia applications and after your restore all you have to do is reinstall it and let it redownload your cydia apps again.

Then there are some tweaks like folder enhancer, which changes some aspects of the system and will break your folder layout if it gets removed (Just like it happens when your device enters safe mode) but as soon as you reinstall it, with your settings restored they will restore your folder layout too.

Even if you have some tweaks as folder enhancer... If you do your folders will be gone for a while, but as soon as you install the tweaks again their settings will be restored and so will your layout.

The only thing i ever "lose" at restoring a backup was the apps' permissions (like using gps or sending push notifications), but even that gets restored sometimes...

I believe it is the same, if you back up to the cloud, except for the apps that been removed from the appstore which won´t get redownloaded...

Alternativatelly, you can also use itools to backup your apps with their settings... Useful if you are planing on removing them to reinstall later, and still have your settings, or with some cydia tweak has messed your system and you don´t want to do a full restore, but don´t want to lose your app documents either (but in this case you would lose system configs and folder layout).

Is there a jailbreak app which leaves all tabs as active. E.g. If i have a stock market open on one tab it updates while i have the tab opened. When i change to another tab the refresh on the page stops, is there a way all the tabs remain active as long as safari is open?

Usually safari only unloads tabs when memory is needed... I guess if you force that you could impact the performance of the system...

I´ve never seen any app to keep the tabs open all the time, but there´s apps that manage memory, perhaps you could try forcing close other apps and freeing memory to leave more ram to safari...

SbSettings have some memory management features.

Edit: You could try other browsers too, i don´t have much reloading issues with grazing... And i have about 20 tabs opened (though i only review about 3-4 at a time)

Shawsie64

Banned
and how do you do this? my ipad always says that the usb device needs to much power...

and where can i find the usb stick in ifile? do i have to copy the video from the stick on my ipad or can i play it directly from the stick?

Worked for me, using a sandisk 8gb USB.. apparently some work and some don't, though tried 2 SD cards last night and worked fine. Can find the files in ifile under external disk

Oh shit, really? I've got a camera connection kit I used with my OG iPad, but never knew about this.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's just as simple as using iFile and a media player. So I could buy a 32GB SD card and use that as my video player for external shit? EPIC.

Yep, worked with my SD cards last night! Loving it

You sould try XBMC too... With ifile you can edit a config file of XBMC and add the SD card as a source... That way you can plug your SD card and browse it directly through XBMC...

And since XBMC can play fullHd movies due hardware acceleration, this gets fucking epic *o*

Oh awesome, i'll def try that tonight.. This is my first jailbreak and loving it so much :)

yes, there is. hell if I can remember it's name. but keep hunting. one does exist.

sonitii

Well, I'm trying out my Gevey ApplenBerry for the 4S and can't get the data to work on my Three UK sim I got. I guess I'll just have to jailbreak and unlock the old fashioned way.

You are using the Gevey Ultra S? I just ordered one myself and am hoping it will work for my 4S as well when I get it.

So voice calls and texts work for you fine? You are just having problems with getting 3G data to work?

Have you tried changing the APN settings for your carrier? Google "Three UK APN iPhone settings" for some instructions and give that a shot.

Hey guys, anyone here know if it's at all possible (if there's a jailbreak tool) or an app that allows you to stream your entire iTunes library over your home WiFi network on your iPad or iPhone?

Not looking for iTunes Match, thanks.

Is there an alarm clock app on Cydia that works like the clock app on the iPhone? I've seen the tweak that allows you to install the stock iPhone apps, but apparently it doesn't include the clock app for 5.1+

Home Sharing?

Alright, I'm a goof, I admit, I had my iPhone on 3G (cellular data/ I usually do) and I was going crazy looking for the "Shared" icon in the native iOS "Music" app. once I switched over to Wifi, bam! the icon pops up!

I knew something like this existed, I use Home Sharing at home between my desktop and laptop....why not on the iDevices!

Who knew? if you wanted to share your music on your iDevices around the house on Wifi, you're suppose to have Wifi on, on your device, eh!

You are using the Gevey Ultra S? I just ordered one myself and am hoping it will work for my 4S as well when I get it.

So voice calls and texts work for you fine? You are just having problems with getting 3G data to work?

Have you tried changing the APN settings for your carrier? Google "Three UK APN iPhone settings" for some instructions and give that a shot.

I finally got it to work last night. There is a very specific way that you have to install the other carrier sim. I had to use the included reboot sim (the white SIM taped to the package) and sim tray to pick my original carrier and after picking ATT US, instead of pressing okay, I switched to the new carrier sim while the message was still on screen and then clicked okay. It showed the new network in the upper left and calls worked fine, but anytime I went to use anything associated with data, it kept telling me to turn on roaming but additional data rates may apply. I was nervous about it at first with that message, but realized that I was no longer on ATT or Orange's network so it didn't really matter and turned it on and was immediately greeted by the 3G symbol. I think it's all set now.

According to Google it looks like Apple has blocked this method.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/04/apple-blocking-sam-trick-to-unlock-iphone.html

Yeah, I had tried it and was getting a generic error message and did some looking and saw that. I basically jailbroke my phone for no good reason as i got the Gevey to work. Guess I'll do some exploring with Cydia now that it's done anyways.

Ok, Im ready to do this...

Just to make sure, I:

-upgraded from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1, thru iTunes.
-backed up my phone

Now, can I run Absinthe without wiping all content? will it mess it up? Is it just slower on a filled device? Or, do I really need to wipe everything off?

Dont want to mess up my only phone. :D

Ok, Im ready to do this...

Just to make sure, I:

-upgraded from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1, thru iTunes.
-backed up my phone

Now, can I run Absinthe without wiping all content? will it mess it up? Is it just slower on a filled device? Or, do I really need to wipe everything off?

Dont want to mess up my only phone. :D

I had to wipe it before it worked. Someone I know didn't. ymmv

Epix

I jailbroke my wife and mine's iPhone 4S's and neither one of us can delete voicemails. They come right back with a notification after 3 or 4 seconds. Any ideas?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My iPad 2's home button has been acting up since the JB. It's sometimes not responding. Restarts etc. don't help. Is this because of the jailbreak/software or something hardware related? It doesn't seem to be jammed or anything either

My iPad 2's home button has been acting up since the JB. It's sometimes not responding. Restarts etc. don't help. Is this because of the jailbreak/software or something hardware related? It doesn't seem to be jammed or anything either

home buttons can most certainly wear down over time making them less responsive to button presses. it's probably not the jailbreak, but you can restore and try again to see. I stopped using my home button entirely because of how unresponsive my iPhone 4 home button has become. I just use the gestures.

Can you or anyone else tell me or point me to specific instructions on how to do this? I have xbmc and ifile installed. But I'm clueless as what to do next. I will go pick up a camera connection kit and sd card. I would also just be willing to load some movies straight onto my iPad.

Pachimari

Is there a tweak for, when I rotate my iPad into landscape, the icons stays in place, so they are lined up as they are in portrait?

Zeth

I'm jailbroken on 4.0.1 and want to go back to stock. Can I just do an OTA update or do I need a wired restore? Backup isn't super important most of my stuff is in iCloud.

buhdeh

Apple home buttons are garbage. I had the home button issues (on the ORIGINAL iphone) where you had to press the button in certain ways to get it to respond. It's unbelievable that's it's still an issue.

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 has the problem and Apple won't fix it (cause she's out of warranty) for free nor will they let her pay them to fix it for some reason.

has anyone tried putting XBMC on their iPad / iPhone and if so do you know if it is possible to set it up to access your media when you arent connected to your home network?

edit: solved my own problem using an FTP server as the source

Top Bottom