• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

AngryMoth

About to jailbreak my iPad 2 for the first time, just have a quick question before I dive in. In general how does jail breaking affect performance and battery life? I would hate for my iPad to end up like my almost unusably slow 3GS when I won't be upgrading for probably another 2 years.

freshair

About to jailbreak my iPad 2 for the first time, just have a quick question before I dive in. In general how does jail breaking affect performance and battery life? I would hate for my iPad to end up like my almost unusably slow 3GS when I won't be upgrading for probably another 2 years.

The act of jailbreaking itself won't affect battery and performance, but the more tweaks and apps you install, you might begin to notice a bit of a hit (personal and anecdotal experience).

Many tweaks hook on to mobile substrate (http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/how-mobilesubstrate-works.278562/) and that's usually the cause of decrease availability of ram and subsequently, battery life and performance.

demented

Finally updated and jailbraked my ipad to 5.1.1. Didn't have any mayor issues, absinthe crashed but after erasing all data it went fine quickly.
One app wouldn't restore, ipa is missing for some reason(comic zeal with ton of comics) but after reinstalling it from ipad it came back with all data so idk what went wrong there, it's still missing on pc even after sync, any tips how to get it there? Won't transfer.

And more important thing - all my ebooks went missing except 1. They're missing from ibooks on ipad and folder where they are kept on PC in itunes(music\itunes etc). I can still see them in itunes but if I try to get info it says there're missing. Am I screwed?
I tool screenshot of them before so luckily I know what's missing, now to find them again :\

Tess3ract

Banned
If I have an ipod touch jailbroken on 4.3.2, can I update it to 5.1.1 then use absinthe to upgrade it?

It's the ipod touch without the camera

JackEtc

For anyone who might be interested in themes, I got the Ayecon theme from Cydia a few days ago and really really love it. I used to never use themes for more than a day or two (then I would get tired of them and switch back to stock), but the Ayecon theme looks fantastic, and changes almost every part of the iOS UI. It has a ton of custom icons for App Store apps and Cydia apps, as well as an auto-masking feature for icons it doesn't replace. It costs $2.99, but I think it's worth it.

Here's a few screens of my phone with the theme (the theme requires a retina display):

njVMcl.jpg
ohHNMl.png

jthlTl.jpg
BdD3Ol.png

Dez

I keep getting an error message when I try to upgrade from jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1.1; can you not upgrade directly from a JB?

I found I had the same problem with the over the air update. Was able to get it to update by connecting to iTunes and updating over the wire.

GatorBait

With the announcement that iOS6 is going to have free turn-by-turn nav (one of the two personal killer apps that have kept me with Android), I have been exploring the idea of buying the iPhone 5 this Fall. The other killer app that is keeping me with to a degree is Google Voice.

I'm very happy that iOS has an official Google Voice app now, but I do still really like the full integration of Voice that is possible on Android. Now, I have some done some light reading on some jailbreak apps that allow integration of Google Voice with the iPhone's default Dialer/Messaging apps. Has anyone in here utilized this method? And if so, what is your opinion on it?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I keep getting an error message when I try to upgrade from jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1.1; can you not upgrade directly from a JB?

i backed up to icloud, made a backup on my computer, wiped it back to original settings then used iTunes to handle the update. OTA updates will fail, i think.

Bruiserk

re-jailbroke my 3GS after updating to 5.1.1, now my Mail and Safari app won't launch :/ I guess it's time to restore (again...)

buhdeh

Jailbroke again and ncsettings + zephyr + switchy were pretty much all worth it. Just sad that we'll probably have to wait again for a JB once iOS 6 hits.

Pachimari

Wasn't there a tweak that would the home screen apps stay in place when you turned your iPad to from portrait to landscape? So that they won't rocate. What was the name of it?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I have a question about buying a used iphone and unlocking it for prepaid SIM card. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, I'll delete my post otherwise.

I never own or used a smart phone before since I don't really need it, and pretty tight on money (currently supporting my parent and sister).

My sister birthday is coming up, so I planned to buy her a used iphone (sorry can't afford new) from gamespot, unlock it myself and give it to her as a gift. I have a few questions in mind:

-If I buy an iphone used, should I worry that it came with a firmware version too high to jailbreak? I assume if I jailbreak it, it should be unlocked also, since in modmyi.com only have link for jailbreak.

-I think she is currently using ATT prepaid plan with unlimited text, anyone else doing the same can share their experience?

-Is gamestop a good place to buy iphone used? Anyone had experience buying from them? Any other vendor you can recommend?

-In the gamespot website I saw 3G for $139 and 3GS for $179, is it worth the extra 40 bucks to get the 3GS? 4S is out of my range for $549. Or may be buying 3G new from amazon for $233 is better idea?

Lunchbox

Banned
buy a factory unlocked from craigslist, dont buy a used phone from a videogame store which will most likely have updated basebands which cant be unlocked (one of the main reason why people sell their phones other than upgrading)

besides if she uses att prepaid, it doesnt need to be unlocked. any old att iphone will work without unlocking. verizon/sprint wont because they are not GSM sets (sim card)

dont get 3G, its crippling slow and cant run most of the latest apps. GS or higher

Shaneus

For anyone who might be interested in themes, I got the Ayecon theme from Cydia a few days ago and really really love it. I used to never use themes for more than a day or two (then I would get tired of them and switch back to stock), but the Ayecon theme looks fantastic, and changes almost every part of the iOS UI. It has a ton of custom icons for App Store apps and Cydia apps, as well as an auto-masking feature for icons it doesn't replace. It costs $2.99, but I think it's worth it.

Here's a few screens of my phone with the theme (the theme requires a retina display):

njVMcl.jpg
ohHNMl.png

jthlTl.jpg
BdD3Ol.png
Is that Winterboard? I've played around with free themes in that before but it always seemed to bog down the OS. Any symptoms of that on yours?

Citizen K

Anyone know of a tweak where I can rewind a podcast 30 seconds (like in the ipod app itself) on the lockscreen? So annying to have to keep opening the app to rewind. (iphone 4)

Anyone know of a tweak where I can rewind a podcast 30 seconds (like in the ipod app itself) on the lockscreen? So annying to have to keep opening the app to rewind. (iphone 4)

Not a JB tweak but using Instacast for podcasts instead of the built in app will give you the ability to skip 30 seconds forward/back on the lock screen (plus much more). Even though the new version of Instacast is kind of shittier than the previous version, it's still light years beyond the default app and well worth the purchase if you even occasionally listen to podcasts. People also recommend Downcast but I've never used that so don't know what it offers.

Gaaraz

Trying out NCSettings and really like it, for the most part it feels a lot more robust than SBSettings, but I'm wondering is there a way to get those icons on my lock screen? I don't always want to unlock my phone to turn off mobile data when I get home for example. Also it's not compatible with a certain app, hoping for support soon... ^_^

Blackhead

Redarse
Trying out NCSettings and really like it, for the most part it feels a lot more robust than SBSettings, but I'm wondering is there a way to get those icons on my lock screen? I don't always want to unlock my phone to turn off mobile data when I get home for example. Also it's not compatible with a certain app, hoping for support soon... ^_^
Bulletin
or
Intelliscreenx

Gaaraz

Still can't get the jailbreak to work on my iPad 3. The program hangs. Suggestions?
What are you using? For what it's worth I tried Absinthe and not only did it fail, it also deleted all of my photos! (thank god for Dropbox's autosync). redsn0w did the trick for me on my iPhone, going to try my iPad on the weekend.

Thanks, this looks good, but honestly not all that much different from the other two.

To be honest I don't really want anything beyond (inactive) notifications on my lock screen, so have removed LockInfo and will go back to the regular notification centre. Is there a way to trigger the notification center through Activator? I want to be able to slide in from the lock screen too :(

(edit) You can't do it from the lock screen, f**k, back to the drawing board

Kirby102

I have multiple WiFi APs in my house, but I was wondering if there was a Cydia app that could make my iDevices connect to one of them specifically? Much like a wifi prioritiser or something.

I do recall there being one, but I'm not sure which one that was. Is someone able to assist?

Blackhead

Redarse
What are you using? For what it's worth I tried Absinthe and not only did it fail, it also deleted all of my photos! (thank god for Dropbox's autosync). redsn0w did the trick for me on my iPhone, going to try my iPad on the weekend.

Thanks, this looks good, but honestly not all that much different from the other two.

To be honest I don't really want anything beyond (inactive) notifications on my lock screen, so have removed LockInfo and will go back to the regular notification centre. Is there a way to trigger the notification center through Activator? I want to be able to slide in from the lock screen too :(

(edit) You can't do it from the lock screen, f**k, back to the drawing board
Um, you do know that's what Bulletin does... right?

Gaaraz

So so awesome, thank you! (Sorry, I watched the video without sound so didn't realise, I thought it was a LockInfo alternative!)

Perfect, thanks again :)

Citizen K

I'm thinking of updating my jailbroken iphone 4 (5.0.1) to 5.1.1. Am I right in saying all I need to do is (after backing up) update the phone in itunes to 5.1.1 and then reapply the jailbreak with redsnow and then get my jailbreak apps/tweaks after? Is it as simple as that?!

Le-mo

Can somebody show me how to enable MMS on an unlocked iPhone 3GS for T-Mobile? It's currently rocking iOs 5.1.1. I did the method that Google search brought up which involves entering field into the APN, MMS Proxy and etc.., but it doesn't seem to work.

Le-mo

Can somebody show me how to enable MMS on an unlocked iPhone 3GS for T-Mobile? It's currently rocking iOs 5.1.1. I did the method that Google search brought up which involves entering field into the APN, MMS Proxy and etc.., but it doesn't seem to work.

Bumped, anybody?

Pachimari

I'm gonna start all over with jailbreaking my iPhone 4 but I can't remember what the jailbreak software is named, anyone could help me here?

njVMcl.jpg
ohHNMl.png

jthlTl.jpg
BdD3Ol.png

Why I love jailbreaking:
nETXq.png

These are just...wow. Hideous. Why would you do this?

linkboy

I'm gonna start all over with jailbreaking my iPhone 4 but I can't remember what the jailbreak software is named, anyone could help me here?

Redsnow or Absinthe.

I just had to restore my 4S and I used Absinthe, worked without a hitch. Tried Redsnow first, but Cydia didn't show up on my phone, which forced me to do another restore before I used Absinthe.

exYle

Hey folks, just jailbroke my iPhone 4 (running 5.1.1) after not having a jailbroken phone for years. I have a few questions:

1) Is there an app that allows me to organize my apps anywhere on the springboard? Right now apps on an empty page are forced to the top left, which gets in the way of my Dashboard X widgets.

2) Is there a theme that allows me to keep my custom wallpaper?

Swag

Is it possible to unlock an IPhone 4S on iOS version 5.1.1, I remember reading that there was something to do with Siri that made it impossible once upgraded. Wanna give my 4s to my sister for use in South Africa.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Have an iPod Touch.

Is there something similar to Android's GrooveIP for iOS? Can I call out over wifi using Google Voice?

Gaaraz

It's bad, but it's not that bad!

(I'd just break his phone, no need to do the cutting wrists bit)

Anyhow, can anyone please recommend the best way of hiding icons without using SBSettings?

Also can I get the four finger gestures from iPad onto my iPhone?

Thankyou!

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone experienced/knowledgable with actually developing tweaks? How hard would it be to make a cydia tweak out of this mockup, for example;

GxKOz.png

Is there anywhere one could go to get started/gain knowledge on how to go about such a thing?

Top Bottom