• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

I've been out of the loop for a while and wanted to ask what are some of the best features/apps of Jailbreaking you guys can recommend? I've already come across some of them. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm especially looking for a widget on the lockscreen for RSS and Twitter feeds whereby you can select them and it'll open up the browser (this for the RSS feed). Does IntelliscreenX do that?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11/18/reasons-iphone-4s-jailbreak/

Also, whats the quickest/easiest way to JB the latest firmware?

One last question. When iOS6 is released and I update, that means I lose all the jailbreak functions right, or must I remove the JB before installing a new firmware?

linkboy

I've been out of the loop for a while and wanted to ask what are some of the best features/apps of Jailbreaking you guys can recommend? I've already come across some of them. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm especially looking for a widget on the lockscreen for RSS and Twitter feeds whereby you can select them and it'll open up the browser (this for the RSS feed). Does IntelliscreenX do that?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11/18/reasons-iphone-4s-jailbreak/

Also, whats the quickest/easiest way to JB the latest firmware?

One last question. When iOS6 is released and I update, that means I lose all the jailbreak functions right, or must I remove the JB before installing a new firmware?

I used absinthe to jailbreak my phone and it's worked great.

As for iOS 6, you will lose your jailbreak when you upgrade.

Zeth

I've been on stock firmware since the new iPad release. How's support for it with new tweaks? Worth checking out?

Is anyone registered on Macthemes.net? I've tried registering but the activation email hasn't turned up for a while. I'd like to ask some questions on how certain people there got their lock screen themes and such. Can anyone pass on the question to these members for me?

Pachimari

Hmm.. I'm sitting here with a locked iPhone 4S but I can't seem to find out how to unlock it, even after reading the OP. Should I jailbreak it first with Absinthe and then download some kind of unlock from Cydia?

buhdeh

So I've been just adding tweaks and if anyone's interested, here are my experiences:

Activator: Pretty useful for doing things like holding the volume button to change tracks (my headphones don't have a remote). Recommended IF you have functions you want to assign to various button presses or gestures.

Bulletin: Collapsible notifications are very useful for me and I like being able to pull down the shade from the lockscreen. Allows for custom backgrounds as well. Only problem I've seen is when pulling down the shade at the lockscreen, the phone is still considered "locked" and times out pretty quickly.

CloseEnhancer: Nice app to quickly close apps from the switcher so you don't have to do the whole "hold and tap" thing. I've experienced significant slowdown on my 4S when I set the close action to double tap so I'm just using swipe up action right now.

ManualCorrect Pro: No more correcting "yo" into "to". Disables space to autocorrect, so you tap the suggestion instead. Keeps autocorrect for capitalizations and punctuations. Very useful if you're already pretty accurate with the keyboard.

NCSettings: Looks great in notification center and I much prefer it to SBSettings. Highly recommended.

SwipeShiftCaret: Slide across the textbox to move the cursor/select text. Feels much easier to use than the crappy magnifying glass.

Zephyr: My favorite tweak. Eliminates the need to use your homebutton. You can flick up to close an app or hold it for a milisecond to open up the switcher. Very very useful and highly recommended. May not be so good if you play a lot of games; thankfully, you can disable it on a per-app basis (I think).

SwipeSelection: Tried it out and it worked pretty well for one-handed use. HOWEVER, two finger typing confuses the tweak way too much and you end up with the cursor jumping around everywhere. I prefer SwipeShiftCaret as it's MUCH less prone to mistakes.

Switchy: to be honest, I'm not really sure this is all that useful. You can see more apps in the switcher but I usually close most of mine out of habit. Good if you always have tons of apps open but it conflicts (graphically) with zephyr too much for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
So I've been just adding tweaks and if anyone's interested, here are my experiences:

Bulletin: Collapsible notifications are very useful for me and I like being able to pull down the shade from the lockscreen. Allows for custom backgrounds as well. Only problem I've seen is when pulling down the shade at the lockscreen, the phone is still considered "locked" and times out pretty quickly.

20 Second Lockscreen

Lockscreen Dim Delay Control

Hey guys, I have an old iPhone 4 that I would like to unlock so that I can use it on any network and use it when traveling with foreign sims. It is on iOS version 5.1.1. Is this able to be unlocked using red snow, untethered, and will iOS upgrades remove the unlock, or does the unlock stay permanent when upgrading to iOS new reversions? I'd like to be able to unlock it now, and not have to worry about the unlock going away when upgrading to iOS 6 this fall.

I guess my BB can't be unlocked using Ultrasnow or anything (4.12.01), but since it is a phone I've owned, it isn't in contract, and I am an AT&T customer, it seems all I have to do is call and request for it to be unlocked. Has anyone done this before? And, I no longer have the original SIM, so can I still get AT&T to unlock it? I will call them tomorrow, but I just want a heads up on anyone who has done this before.

Pachimari

Is there a Speech Dictation tweak for iPhone 4?

I'm not talking about a Siri-copy like Sara but rather the microphone on the keyboard, so one can speech ones SMS' and texts.

demented

I don't know where search button disappeared so can't find some other ios thread but I've got a question to ask.

I activated track my ipad option in settings, how does it work exactly, how can I track it on pc?
Also I'm gonna be traveling and I'm paranoid about people touching or stealing it so what are some good apps to have, track one in settings seems easy to get rid of, just turn off location, is there like any keylogger app or something like that that will send you info on whats done or idk, just keep logs to see what was done on it, if anyone was using it etc?

Espresso

Banned
I've been out of the loop for a while and wanted to ask what are some of the best features/apps of Jailbreaking you guys can recommend?

Firebreak: Enables panoramas on iOS 5 Camera app

PrivaCy: global opt-out of anonymous usage tracking

TetherMe: Dynamically enables native tethering

Webscrollian: faster content scrolling for Web views (read: inertial scrolling)

Hi GAF.

I am travelling to the US from Canada for two weeks. Is there a way to unlock my Rogers( Canadian carrier) so I can pop in an AT&T pay-as-you-go micro chip or something, once I'm in the US?

It's a jailbroken iPhone 4 (Rogers) running iOS 5.1.1 with baseband 04.12.01 (unfortunately)

Any help would be appreciated.

ibfzllFUBfEZHV.png

Kinda buggy but still useful

Rengoku

Enable Nitro Engine In Chrome For iOS And Other Third-Party Browsers For Faster Performance

The Nitrous tweak that has recently found its way onto the BigBoss repository will be a package which a lot of jailbroken iOS users have been waiting for. Google and their Chrome browser have been receiving a lot of praise for the aesthetics and overall performance of the iOS version of the popular web browser, but unfortunately not everything is perfect in a stock installation of the app from the official App Store. Due to limitations placed on developers by Apple, Google and others are restricted as to what they can and can’t achieve when building apps that are heavily web-based.

Some of you may or may not remember when Mobile Safari was revamped not that long ago, and with it came a rebuild of the underlying code around the Nitro JavaScript engine that drastically increased performance and provided the user with a browsing experience that contained fewer lags and pauses while visiting their favorite websites. In a rather bitter sweet twist, Apple unfortunately doesn’t allow apps built around the UIWebView to take advantage of this newer engine and same goes for all of the default third-party apps.

The Nitrous tweak is about to change all of that and is clearly based around the belief that a faster experience across the board is definitely a benefit to Apple and iOS. After all, using apps like Google Chrome is a big pull for mobile users toward iOS and it can only benefit Apple to have that experience as pleasurable as possible. When installed, Nitrous doesn’t offer any additional home screen icons but can be accessed and configured from the native Settings app where apps can either be granted or revoked from using the Nitro JavaScript engine.

Nitrous2.png

Allowing access is as simple as toggling a switch on or off, and the performance increase can be noted immediately. Any app that has WebKit-heavy dependence will notice an improvement when activated through Nitrous. It may immediately seem that this will only be of benefit to Chrome users or users of third-party browsers, but a surprising amount of extremely popular iOS apps are built around web views such as Facebook and in some areas, Twitter.

Nitrous is available as a $0.99 download from the BigBoss repository and requires iOS 5 or higher.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-en...-third-party-browsers-for-faster-performance/

Anybody try this?

linkboy

Holy Shit, someone actually unlocked Nitro.

I was wondering if someone would do it, glad to see they did it.

edit

Just installed it, yep, Chrome is a lot faster.

Well worth it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
this makes me want to go through the hassle of unlocking my iPad again.

i suppose i have an hour to kill...

TheContact

Anyone experienced/knowledgable with actually developing tweaks? How hard would it be to make a cydia tweak out of this mockup, for example;

Is there anywhere one could go to get started/gain knowledge on how to go about such a thing?

Not sure about this, Sentry, but I have this on my iPhone, it's just one thumb's slide to the left of the iPod controls

linkboy

Every app that I've enabled in Nitrous works a hell of a lot better.

It's amazing.

Hands down the best tweak I've installed on my phone.

Thank god for somebody bumping this.. now:

I have an iPod that is currently running 5.0.1 jailbroken.

is there an easy way to update & jailbreak it to 5.1.1 at the same time, or close to it?

Is there a tweak which will stop chrome tabs refreshing every time i enter them, this enrages me while i copy something from another app to post on gaf and when i enter gaf the entire thing i wrote goes with the auto refresh

linkboy

Thank god for somebody bumping this.. now:

I have an iPod that is currently running 5.0.1 jailbroken.

is there an easy way to update & jailbreak it to 5.1.1 at the same time, or close to it?

You'll have to redo the jailbreak when you upgrade to 5.1.1 (since it removes 5.0.1 and installs 5.1.1).

It takes only a few minutes to redo the jailbreak.

Is there a tweak which will stop chrome tabs refreshing every time i enter them, this enrages me while i copy something from another app to post on gaf and when i enter gaf the entire thing i wrote goes with the auto refresh

I've yet to find one, it does it when you go from incognito tabs to regular tabs and its kinda annoying.

You'll have to redo the jailbreak when you upgrade to 5.1.1 (since it removes 5.0.1 and installs 5.1.1).

It takes only a few minutes to redo the jailbreak.

Can I keep my backup of my jailbroken 5.0.1 iPod on iTunes, and restore it on the jailbroken 5.1.1?

EDIT:Okay thanks.

linkboy

Can I keep my backup of my jailbroken 5.0.1 iPod on iTunes, and restore it on the jailbroken 5.1.1?

It won't install the jailbreak, it'll just apply your apps, settings and such.

You'll have to either run Redsnow or Absinthe after upgrading to 5.1.1. It takes a couple minutes (at most) to redo the jailbreak.

Pachimari

Is there a way to have quick access to 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth etc on the lock screen? AnyLock doesn't do it for me.

And I don't feel the difference in Facebook with Nitrous - maybe I should try disable it again.

Blackhead

Redarse

I've yet to find one, it does it when you go from incognito tabs to regular tabs and its kinda annoying.

I'm not sure how stable Backgrounder is on iOS5 but it should be able to keep Chrome running without requiring a refresh if you so desire.

Shaneus

Is there a way to have quick access to 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth etc on the lock screen? AnyLock doesn't do it for me.

And I don't feel the difference in Facebook with Nitrous - maybe I should try disable it again.
Whether to enable them or not? Can't you just use SBSettings and make sure the Activator shortcut is set to "Anywhere"?

Mairu

Anyone know of a jailbreak tweak to allow scrobbling (last.fm) of pandora? I have the app for scrobbling from the Music player, but it'd be nice to be able to scrobble from the pandora app

Basic question: I can't use untethered Redsnow yet on iPad, but I can use untethered with Absinthe. Is Absinthe jailbreak decent enough I should go ahead with it or wait for a possible untethered update for Redsnow?

Cmagus

I have a question and I could use some help here. So I recently bought out my phone (iphone 3GS) with Telus (Canada). I am trying to unlock my phone from carrier restriction so I can take it to another provider. I asked if they could unlock the phone for me when I bought out and they informed me they could but for 125.00. Obviously I am not going to pay that much to unlock it I mean you would think after buying your phone you'd own it but I guess not.

Anyways I've gone ahead and jailbroke and I am running 5.1.1. Cydia is installed and I have ultrasnow installed as well. I should also mention that it is a tethered jailbreak. The thing that I am stuck on is actually unlocking the phone. I've been looking around online but there is just so much stuff and most of it doesn't seem to work. I read the op but I am still abit confused on where I need to go next.

My sim card is still in the phone and I am wondering will it remain locked with it in there? Do I need to get started with the new provider then unlock? At this point any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom