• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse

Cmagus

Those links are for jailbreaking the phone which I have already done. For my model and make I can only run a tethered jailbreak from everything that I have read. It isn't a big deal though I just need to boot it each time it is fully shut off. I tried that redmond link twice now and have done a full reset and it's still showing the phone as locked.

Blackhead

Redarse
My sim card is still in the phone and I am wondering will it remain locked with it in there? Do I need to get started with the new provider then unlock? At this point any help would be appreciated.
I tried that redmond link twice now and have done a full reset and it's still showing the phone as locked.
Do you have the right baseband on your phone? The redsnow guide includes a link to getting an unlockable baseband
Are you checking with another carrier's sim card to see if it's unlocked? IIRC there is no indication if you have the right sim card (i.e. Telus) in the software unlocked phone.

Those links are for jailbreaking the phone which I have already done. For my model and make I can only run a tethered jailbreak from everything that I have read. I
Jailbreak 5.1.1 Untethered iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS Using Absinthe | Absinthe Jailbreak

Cmagus

Do you have the right baseband on your phone? The redsnow guide includes a link to getting an unlockable baseband
Are you checking with another carrier's sim card to see if it's unlocked? IIRC there is no indication if you have the right sim card (i.e. Telus) in the software unlocked phone.

Jailbreak 5.1.1 Untethered iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS Using Absinthe | Absinthe Jailbreak

Ok so I redid everything and now it is untethered (thanks) as for the phone itself it just won't unlock. I've tried just about everything online the past 2 days and nothing. I think what I am going to do is go to Bell and see if I can get a plan and sim card although I doubt they would do that.

After I restored I contacted Telus asked them to unlock it however they refused as I was not an active customer. Apparently in Canada only Rogers, Telus and Fido can unlock iphones. Thing is I want to go to Bell lol my god this shit should be so illegal.

Thanks for your help I'll have to figure this out somehow because I think this lock is gonna need to be removed in store somewhere.

Cmagus

I have a few more questions I'd like to ask. So I am still stuck unlocking my phone. I called apple to see who in Canada can unlock the iphones and Rogers, Fido and Telus are the only 3 companies who can unlock it apparently. I tried all of them and none will unlock it unless I get a plan with them.

At this point I am beyond frustrated and annoyed. I took Greyfaces advice and created an untethered jailbreak (thanks again!) and I figured I would give some more info on my phone.

Carrier: Telus (Canada) (Sim card is not active as I bought out my plan)
Base : 05.13.04
Untethered jailbreak.
Serial: is fine it was produced in the 16th week of 2011

I am starting to think that the reason this isn't working is because the Telus sim is not active but I cannot be sure. I was wondering if it is possible to still unlock so I can take it to bell.No matter what I have tried it still shows the locked icon.

I have done the ipad update to 6.15.0 and then downgraded my base to 5.13.04 which is supported by Ultrasn0w but when running Ultrasn0w I get a "Cannot activate cellular carrier" pop up which is leading me to believe that this is my problem. Again any help would be greatly appreciated as I am out of answers and ideas.

Cmagus

sure here is a screen from my start up screen.I am talking about the icon at the top

iweM4ly0BWlx3.PNG

Gaaraz

Quick question - just updated my iPad to 5.1.1 (damn you BBC iPlayer!) and tried to use redsn0w to jailbreak, it kept returning an error, that upon Googling it seemed a restore would fix.

I restored my device, and set it up as a new one, as recommended by a number of sites - ran the jailbreak software, and it was fine. I was then told to restore to a backup, which I did... but now, just as I expected, I have no Cydia icon!

Is there a way around this short of setting it up as a new device and losing all of my app data? Thanks

linkboy

A tip for the sparrow plus I linked above. In the setting, don't set it to push, set it for either 30 min or an hour.

My battery life had been a lot better.

Tizoc

I recently got an iPhone and wanted to know if it's possible to get emulators to work on it without Jailbreaking it.

I recently got an iPhone and wanted to know if it's possible to get emulators to work on it without Jailbreaking it.

Unless you manage to download one from iTunes in the five minutes before Apple realises what they've done and takes it down, no.

Are there any good write ups on why I should jailbreak my Apple TV? Looking for benefits.

Edit: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/08/13/confirmed-apple-tv-3-jailbreak-is-in-the-works/

Useful site with bad news that I can't jb my Apple TV 3.

Yeah, AppleTV jailbreaks tend to be release right around the point where Apple discontinues that particular version.

I've been having a hell of a time trying to start the JB process for the appletv (2nd gen, btw).

Seas0npass keeps stalling on "patching filesystem". I've looked at the log file, and it says everything was done successfully, but the program just hangs, and does nothing else. I even let it run overnight a few times, but no go.

Anyone else having issues like this?

CrankyJay

Banned
is it safe to put Siri on my iPhone 4 or are these addresses I am entering giving away info on my phone?

edit: fuck it, decided it wasn't worth it.

CrankyJay

Banned
So...I'm trying to do a Erase All Settings and Content on my iPhone after jailbreaking it because I got paranoid about installing that siriport.ru shit. It's hanging on the busy screen.

What do I do?

Or can I just delete the siriport stuff form cydia and erase the profile I installed and I should be safe?

I'm afraid there's probably hidden shit left on my phone and I'm just being extra paranoid.

edit: Looks like doing a full restore thru iTunes did the trick.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I believe that A4 devices should always get a tethered jailbreak, and the developer tethered jailbreak for iOS6 is out now, but things like cydia or an untethered jailbreak probably won't be ready for a while. Jailbreaks on the 4S may take longer, on the 5 it could take longer still. IIRC the 4S didn't get a jailbreak for 4-5 months after release.

Mairu

I believe that A4 devices should always get a tethered jailbreak, and the developer tethered jailbreak for iOS6 is out now, but things like cydia or an untethered jailbreak probably won't be ready for a while. Jailbreaks on the 4S may take longer, on the 5 it could take longer still. IIRC the 4S didn't get a jailbreak for 4-5 months after release.

I'm going to really miss Nitrous, Sparrow+, and MyWi :(

kennah

I'm going to miss NCsettings.

I don't understand why the brightness setting can't be in the multitasking bar instead of volume.

JB on the iphone4 made it real sluggish. Took the JB off and it's responsive again. Something to remember for those wondering why their 4 isn't snappy.

So is there a unlock for iPhone 4s with iOS 5.1.1?

From my knowledge, once you are done with the jailbreak, I think there is one. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure if this is the right thread but it's somewhat iPhone 5 related: I'm trying to sell my iPhone 4 via eBay. I put in a request to unlock my phone with AT&T but I want to factory reset my phone, jailbreak it and the unlock it so I can up the resell value. Is there a good guide for how to go about this? Trying to upgrade to an iPhone 5 by getting as much as I can for my iPhone 4.

Since today is the last day to update to 5.1.1, I'm planning to update my 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4. What's the best path to do this? OTA update and then jailbreak again?

Enzom21

Not sure if this is the right thread but it's somewhat iPhone 5 related: I'm trying to sell my iPhone 4 via eBay. I put in a request to unlock my phone with AT&T but I want to factory reset my phone, jailbreak it and the unlock it so I can up the resell value. Is there a good guide for how to go about this? Trying to upgrade to an iPhone 5 by getting as much as I can for my iPhone 4.

Why not just have AT&T unlock it for you?
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532#fbid=iB7CGSUQiOm

Blackhead

Redarse
Have an iPad 3, updated to whatever it's up to now. How exactly do I jailbreak the thing? Wanna rock some SNES emulation on it.
http://jailbrea.kr/
Jailbreak Wizard

Edit: Might as well post TheBigBoss's right-on-schedule warning to not update to iOS6:
Jailbreakers: Do not upgrade to iOS6 until a jailbreak is released. You will lose all your jailbreak!

iOS 6 is a total dud. I think it’s by far the worst major upgrade Apple has ever provided. It’s more like a 5.1.2 than a 6.0. Let’s take a look at the major differences moving to iOS6 from iOS 5.

1) Removes youtube
2) Removes google maps.
3) Adds apple maps. No street view, no transit directions. Remember, google has been doing maps a long time. No way apple is doing it as well in a few months.
4) Adds what? Facebook integration, ViP mail, do not disturb? iOS 5 users, you can get “do not disturb” functionality with “ringerx vip” in cydia.

This is definitely not worth an upgrade. And if you are jailbroken on iOS5 definitely do not upgrade to this. You will lose your jailbreak and that’s definitely not worth it for this.

Speaking of disappointments, the iPhone 5 seems equally disappointing. The screen is a little bigger – that’s great. The device is a little faster, also neat. But the change of the dock is huge. How many devices do you plug your iphones into? iHome, car, chargers. All this requires new cables and all these devices stop working. In my home I have 5 docks for charging in various rooms, a car deck with an iPod cable coming out of it. All this becomes useless if I buy an iPhone 5. I’ll stick with iPhone 4s another year.

Thank you. Deed is in motion.

By the way, I assume synching still works the same through iTunes, correct? All I have to do is hold off on the firmware updates until they are supported by Cydia, yes?

Edit:

Also, will Blutrol + Wii controller + CCP work with emulators? Trying to decide wether I should buy it or not...

Edit 2:

Why doesn't Paypal work for enhanced folders app? Worked for several others, I can't buy this one, always get an error, already checked my account, should be working, and has worked with others after. Wtf...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone link me to the 5.0 jailbreak? Can't seem to find it..

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
New problem. I'm running 5.0, but redsnow only installs a tethered jailbreak. I tried to untether using the Corona tool and Rocky Raccoon, but both give me errors. Anyone have this issue?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
http://jailbrea.kr/
Jailbreak Wizard

Edit: Might as well post TheBigBoss's right-on-schedule warning to not update to iOS6:

BigBoss said:
Jailbreakers: Do not upgrade to iOS6 until a jailbreak is released. You will lose all your jailbreak!

iOS 6 is a total dud. I think it’s by far the worst major upgrade Apple has ever provided. It’s more like a 5.1.2 than a 6.0. Let’s take a look at the major differences moving to iOS6 from iOS 5.

1) Removes youtube
2) Removes google maps.
3) Adds apple maps. No street view, no transit directions. Remember, google has been doing maps a long time. No way apple is doing it as well in a few months.
4) Adds what? Facebook integration, ViP mail, do not disturb? iOS 5 users, you can get “do not disturb” functionality with “ringerx vip” in cydia.

This is definitely not worth an upgrade. And if you are jailbroken on iOS5 definitely do not upgrade to this. You will lose your jailbreak and that’s definitely not worth it for this.

Speaking of disappointments, the iPhone 5 seems equally disappointing. The screen is a little bigger – that’s great. The device is a little faster, also neat. But the change of the dock is huge. How many devices do you plug your iphones into? iHome, car, chargers. All this requires new cables and all these devices stop working. In my home I have 5 docks for charging in various rooms, a car deck with an iPod cable coming out of it. All this becomes useless if I buy an iPhone 5. I’ll stick with iPhone 4s another year.
You know... BigBoss convinced me. I was already going to wait for a jailbreak, but now I'm not even stressing the wait. iOS6 does sound kinda iffy.

Top Bottom