• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got dammit where is my Apple TV 3 jailbreak

Asking for a friend who has an iPod Touch and an old HTC Wildfire Android phone and not enough money to get a new device right now. He's curious if he can use an app, jailbreak or otherwise, to be able to control the sending of texts on his Android device from his iPod. I use something similar for my Android phone and tablet which allows me to type out messages on the tablet and then the phone sends them, and redirects new messages to the tablet, so we're looking for something like that. Is there anything that exists out there that can help?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, just that being an ex-jailbroken iOS user, I figure if there's going to be something to do this it will be a jailbreak app.

Ok, I remember a few months ago a friend of mine was rocking a Jailbreak app that pretty much always let you have a myriad of things (like email adrresses, home addresses, your full name, phone numbers) ready to paste anywhere at will after performing a certain action. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Blackhead

Redarse
How hackers will jailbreak the iPhone 5 | ExtremeTech

NB: Reservations about ExtremeTech's article:
saurik said:
I apparently stopped reading even earlier, when I got to:

> In the iPhone 4S’s case, the A5 SoC withstood hacking attempts for months — much longer than any other Apple device — before it finally fell.

In fact, we never found a bug in the A5's bootloader: Corona (the 5.0 exploit I helped implement) and Rocky Racoon (related 5.1 exploit) were purely bugs in iOS, and as of 6.0's release we are not much better off on the 4S than we will be on the 5.

(edit: OK, I decided to at least skim the rest, as I realized I should probably at least know if they said anything I'll have to deal with ;P.)

> The one glimmer of hope is that iOS 6 has already been jailbroken — but only on antiquated A4-based devices (iPhone 3GS/4), and it’s still only a tethered jailbreak.

So, iOS 6 is not jailbroken: the A4 is; this is a similar mistake to the earlier one, but in the opposite direction.

The reason this is bothersome is because I can tell you with utter assurance: if Apple releases iOS 7, and it supports your iPhone 4, we will be able to jailbreak it, and it won't even take much effort; I don't even need to see iOS 7: I can tell you that today.

It is thereby not at all interesting that we have a jailbreak for iOS 6 on these older devices, and doesn't offer forward any kind of "glimmer of hope" ;P.

More promising: Apple iPhone 4S hacked by Exploiting Safari in iOS 5, iOS 6
The Samsung Galaxy S 3 wasn’t the only device to fall to hackers in Amsterdam today. The Mobile Pwn2Own contest at the EuSecWest Conference had another big winner: a Dutch team from Certified Secure that took down the iPhone 4S on Wednesday by exploiting the Safari mobile browser, according to ZDNet.

The hack has been confirmed to work on the Apple iPad, iPhone 4, and the iPod touch (all previous versions). To make matters worse, the attack works not only on iOS 5.1.1, but also iOS 6 (Gold master). This means it the new iPhone 5 is almost certainly affected as well...

Here's hoping we get an update to jailbreakme.com before Christmas.

Asking for a friend who has an iPod Touch and an old HTC Wildfire Android phone and not enough money to get a new device right now. He's curious if he can use an app, jailbreak or otherwise, to be able to control the sending of texts on his Android device from his iPod. I use something similar for my Android phone and tablet which allows me to type out messages on the tablet and then the phone sends them, and redirects new messages to the tablet, so we're looking for something like that. Is there anything that exists out there that can help?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, just that being an ex-jailbroken iOS user, I figure if there's going to be something to do this it will be a jailbreak app.
Try DeskSMS on the Wildfire with Beejive (or Trillian etc) on the Touch. Could he switch his number to Skype or Google Voice? Those have clients for the iPod Touch. He could use airdroid to access via iPod touch browser as well. Be sure him to warn him that the iPod Touch doesn't have a vibrator nor led notifier to it's easy to miss messages...

Ok, I remember a few months ago a friend of mine was rocking a Jailbreak app that pretty much always let you have a myriad of things (like email adrresses, home addresses, your full name, phone numbers) ready to paste anywhere at will after performing a certain action. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Try the Favs action in ActionMenu

But the change of the dock is huge. How many devices do you plug your iphones into? iHome, car, chargers. All this requires new cables and all these devices stop working. In my home I have 5 docks for charging in various rooms, a car deck with an iPod cable coming out of it. All this becomes useless if I buy an iPhone 5. I’ll stick with iPhone 4s another year.
well good thing for me, my last iPhone was the OG then switch to Android

So, being a complete JB noob here, how exactly will the transition to iOS6 work? Can I just plug my iPad into iTunes and update it or should I be waiting for something to be released?

knitoe

So, being a complete JB noob here, how exactly will the transition to iOS6 work? Can I just plug my iPad into iTunes and update it or should I be waiting for something to be released?

If you want to stay JB, never update the firmware until a JB becomes available. Updating the firmware will always remove the JB. If you mind going back to stock, just pull into iTunes and do a update/restore.

Brofist

I usually backup, restore to stock version of current iOS, upgrade to new version iOS, then restore from backup.

As mentioned above beware you aren't closing the door on future JBing.

Sanic

Can I still jailbreak my 4S on 5.1.1 with the release of 6.0? Went to restore my phone in itunes to prepare the jailbreak and it's saying ios 6 will be installed.

JackEtc

iPhone 5 Jailbroken

Grant Paul (@chpwn) said:
Taller screens like Cydia too. :)
pic.twitter.com/fE14vXN2

9FjTQ.jpg

Damn, that was fast. Hopefully this means the iOS6 jailbreak is released soon, I'm not updating my 4S to it until it is released (assuming the maps will be fixed by then...)

Detox

So has a jailbroken app been made to pull the music off a iPod as if it's a hdd. My iPod touch 4th gen still has most of my library since my hdd died, I did take the music off with iphonebrowser but most songs had no tags and were named in variations of 5 letter caps. Can I now copy and paste with the tags intact?

zychi

Banned
So has a jailbroken app been made to pull the music off a iPod as if it's a hdd. My iPod touch 4th gen still has most of my library since my hdd died, I did take the music off with iphonebrowser but most songs had no tags and were named in variations of 5 letter caps. Can I now copy and paste with the tags intact?

there are programs you can use if you just google "transfer songs from iphone/ipod to computer" literally did this two weeks ago for someone. kept the file info in tact too.

its not so much copy and paste/a browser, but it will see all of your songs with info.

Detox

there are programs you can use if you just google "transfer songs from iphone/ipod to computer" literally did this two weeks ago for someone. kept the file info in tact too.

its not so much copy and paste/a browser, but it will see all of your songs with info.
Thanks, this happened a year and a half ago and I have been running the risk of losing my entire library, I guess things have come far it seemed like it only wanted to transfer songs one way and then tag/encrypt in another way to make it more difficult to get the music back. Do you mind me asking what program you used if you can remember? Google returns a ton of different methods and program's.

Enzom21

Thanks, this happened a year and a half ago and I have been running the risk of losing my entire library, I guess things have come far it seemed like it only wanted to transfer songs one way and then tag/encrypt in another way to make it more difficult to get the music back. Do you mind me asking what program you used if you can remember? Google returns a ton of different methods and program's.

Use a program like iexplorer or Diskaid, navigate to the folder in the picture below. That folder contains all of your music broken up in multiple folders.

Once you transfer this to your computer you can just drop it into itunes and it will organize the music based on the ID3 tags.
ScreenShot2012-09-21at24453PM_zpsb38ea0e4.png

Detox

Enzom, I've got those folders in my music folder, iTunes keeps the same names as in LMGRT, HMGTF etc. Does iTunes automatically recognise the names are wrong or is there a specific button to convert songs to their original names. If it's automatatic then I'll try copy and pasting from the iPod to my pc again.

So i have a choice with my $100 at Best buy with a new contract...

iPhone 4S 16GB (I think I would find Siri useful while driving a lot)
iPhone 4 32GB (I could use the extra space to fill it with my music library)

wat do, gaf?

mooooose

4S will be supported longer so get the 4S. You can always get a cheap tiny MP3 player or stream your music from Google Music/iTunes Match, etc. I have a 4 and I wish I had a 4S.

4S will be supported longer so get the 4S.

and bought. I was literally at the counter waiting for a reply on one of the best buy laptops on GAF, thanks bros.

PS. I've got a PSP with 2x32GB micro SD cards in a Photofast 5400 MS Pro Duo adapter... with all my music on there (50GB+). I've got AUX in the car but would like to use my iphone as my primary aux+bluetooth connection to make calls, directions with GPS apps, etc. Any music I cant fit in the 4S will stay on the PSP in case im in the mood. :) Win-win situation!

So i have a choice with my $100 at Best buy with a new contract...

iPhone 4S 16GB (I think I would find Siri useful while driving a lot)
iPhone 4 32GB (I could use the extra space to fill it with my music library)

wat do, gaf?

Do you have a Fry's near you? 4S 16 gig is $49, 32 gig is $99 and 64 gig is $149.

Bigfoot

Posted in iPhone 5 thread but this is probably a better place:

Question for all the Jailbreak/unlock experts...

I got my iPhone 5 but still haven't activated it yet. I'm just wondering if I need to jailbreak my old 3GS first before it is "deactivated" or can I do this after?

Also, I'm unfortunately on iOS 5.1 instead of 5.1.1. It looks like I need 5.1.1 to jailbreak but iTunes only lets me upgrade to iOS 6.0. Is there any tools that I can use to upgrade to 5.1.1 or am I out of luck?

Edit: Also I just tried pulling the sim on my 3GS. The non-phone part (Wifi, apps) still work so that's good. I guess I could just keep running it but would I run in to problems if I ever tried to upgrade the iOS?

Pachimari

So my iPhone 4 is jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 (the latest before iOS6) but I need to restore it as it keeps crashing and losing battery. Can I jail iOS6 with Absinthe?

EDIT: Oh, only tethered I see. So only way for me to go now is either pure iOS6 or keep my iOS 5.1.1. jailbreak.

mooooose

Posted in iPhone 5 thread but this is probably a better place:

Question for all the Jailbreak/unlock experts...

I got my iPhone 5 but still haven't activated it yet. I'm just wondering if I need to jailbreak my old 3GS first before it is "deactivated" or can I do this after?

Also, I'm unfortunately on iOS 5.1 instead of 5.1.1. It looks like I need 5.1.1 to jailbreak but iTunes only lets me upgrade to iOS 6.0. Is there any tools that I can use to upgrade to 5.1.1 or am I out of luck?

Edit: Also I just tried pulling the sim on my 3GS. The non-phone part (Wifi, apps) still work so that's good. I guess I could just keep running it but would I run in to problems if I ever tried to upgrade the iOS?
Yes. If you upgrade it will need a SIM unless you jailbreak. It you don't upgrade, it's fine.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
New Apple TV update. Please release the JB for the 3 already.

I have an unlock question that I am hoping someone can help me with. No JB involved. (iPhone 4 5.0.1)

I am off contract with AT&T and they have processed my unlock request. I need to do a restore but iTunes does not let me do that. I don't want to update past 5.1.1 so I downloaded the required ipsw file but iTunes gives me a 3194 error because it contacts the Apple server and finds that 5.1.1 is not the latest update. What do I do? Any way to restore to 5.0.1 or update only to 5.1.1?

I bought a used iPhone 4 off of someone and im going to resell it to a friend, but the person I bought it from had already restored the phone with iOS 6 and it seems that the signing window for 5.1.1 has already been closed. Is there any way to get this phone back on 5.1.1? It has never been jailbroken so there are no blobs saved for it.

It wouldn't really be a big deal but my friend is going to be using it on Straight Talk and as far as I know to get picture messaging working it has to be jailbroken so you can edit the APN settings, which I don't understand why they don't give you access to those settings to begin with

I have an unlock question that I am hoping someone can help me with. No JB involved. (iPhone 4 5.0.1)

I am off contract with AT&T and they have processed my unlock request. I need to do a restore but iTunes does not let me do that. I don't want to update past 5.1.1 so I downloaded the required ipsw file but iTunes gives me a 3194 error because it contacts the Apple server and finds that 5.1.1 is not the latest update. What do I do? Any way to restore to 5.0.1 or update only to 5.1.1?

according to the dev team blog you can re-restore to the same version of iOS you are running but im not sure what the process is, you might have to create a custom firmware with redsn0w

Blackhead

Redarse
I bought a used iPhone 4 off of someone and im going to resell it to a friend, but the person I bought it from had already restored the phone with iOS 6 and it seems that the signing window for 5.1.1 has already been closed. Is there any way to get this phone back on 5.1.1? It has never been jailbroken so there are no blobs saved for it.

It wouldn't really be a big deal but my friend is going to be using it on Straight Talk and as far as I know to get picture messaging working it has to be jailbroken so you can edit the APN settings, which I don't understand why they don't give you access to those settings to begin with

(Not sure if this still works but) here you go — iOS: Editing APN settings using iPhone Configuration Utility

according to the dev team blog you can re-restore to the same version of iOS you are running but im not sure what the process is, you might have to create a custom firmware with redsn0w

Thanks for the pointer. It looks like redsn0w does have a Deactivate feature. Main use case looks to be for people who want to unlock without losing their Jailbreak. Worked in my case as well. I followed the instructions here.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/04/unlock-att-iphone-without-losing-jailbreak.html

Sometime next week, I have to investigate how to reset to factory settings without updating. I don't understand why Apple makes all this so difficult.

mf.luder

I don't have my 5 yet but as I've stated numerous times before, the only reason I jailbreak is because of SBSettings. I have about 2 more weeks to wait, hopefully the tethered version is released.

Pachimari

Okay thanks. I'll wait for the untethered ones. Let's notify each other here when they release the jailbreaks.

If any of you have been eagerly waiting on the edge of your seats for an iOS 6 jailbreak, you may be disappointed to her that you could be waiting a while longer. Pod2g, a well known jailbreaker, tweeted today that it could be weeks or months until we see any progress from the jailbreak.

To be clear : there’s no iOS 6 jailbreak ready. It’s going to take weeks or months to have one. Please stop asking me about it… :/

We did see chpwn tweet a picture of Cydia on an iPhone 5, just last week, but we have no info on how well that works, if at all. AS of now, it seems as though we are stuck waiting an indefinite amount of time, so stay tuned for more info regarding this jailbreak.

Source: Jailbreak Nation

sonitii

Hey Jailbreakers,

I have iPhone 4S jailbroken and currently on iOS 5.1.1.

Is it possible to restore the phone without updating to iOS 6? I want to restore the phone but stay on 5.1.1.

The_Joker

yes.. you download ios 5.1.1. from the site above for your device and install it by pressing shift +restore (windows) or alt+restore (mac) in itunes while your device is plugged in...than you choose the ipsw you downloaded and that's it

sonitii

The restore wipes out the jailbreak correct? So I would have to re-jailbreak with absinthe or redsnow afterward? So I should backup my Cydia apps/tweaks first before restoring restore 5.1.1?

Espresso

Banned
yes.. you download ios 5.1.1. from the site above for your device and install it by pressing shift +restore (windows) or alt+restore (mac) in itunes while your device is plugged in...than you choose the ipsw you downloaded and that's it

Thanks for your quick response. The only reason I ask is because when I tried to restore my iPhone 4 last year, Apple was no longer signing iOS 4.2 so I was forced to update to iOS 5. I wish phones were as simple to upgrade/downgrade as Apple's computers.

The restore wipes out the jailbreak correct? So I would have to re-jailbreak with absinthe or redsnow afterward? So I should backup my Cydia apps/tweaks first before restoring restore 5.1.1?

Yeah, restoring reverts iOS to stock/default.

Top Bottom