• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Cth

Sorry for the bump (no new news), but I had a question I was hoping for confirmation on..

I got hit by a spinning circle of death error on my Ipad 2 WiFi.

I've got the following shsh blobs: 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1

My iPad is in DFU mode and I will be unable to put anything on the device EXCEPT ios 6?

And because Apple is no longer signing 5.1.1, there's no way to downgrade in any way, shape or form, right?

So basically, wait and hope a jailbreak for io6 at this point if I want to JB/put Cydia back on?

Thanks in advance!

I have some questions regarding a jailbreak of my iPhone 4:

- Will I still be able to add songs through itunes?
- Will I still be able to synch through itunes and if not, how will I be doing this?
- What other functionalities will I lose that I would've been able to do previously with itunes?
- What's the best and easiest jailbreak method?

Mairu

- Will I still be able to synch through itunes and if not, how will I be doing this?
- What other functionalities will I lose that I would've been able to do previously with itunes?

you don't lose any functionality by jailbreaking, you can still sync with itunes

you do not lose any functionality by jailbreaking. when the jailbreak is first completed there is no difference between it and a stock iphone other than having a new cydia icon. there are some tweaks and apps you can get via cydia that might hurt stability and battery life, but you will not lose the ability to do anything.

if your iPhone is still on 5.1.1 then the easiest jailbreak is using the most up to date version of Absinthe, which can be downloaded from here:
http://greenpois0n.com/

literally all you do is plug in your phone and push the jailbreak button and wait till its finished, no putting the phone in DFU mode or anything.

- Yes
- Yes, other methods are via iFunbox
- None
- Use Absinthe, that is if you're on FW 5.1.1 or lower. iOS 6 doesnt have a JB yet. Remember if something fucks up (very rarely happens though) you will have to restore to iOS 6 which has no jailbreak and you cannot restore to 5.1.1 since the signing window has been closed.

Ok guys, here's the deal: I bought a used iPhone 4 (iOS 4.2.1) for cheap, it's activated but I do not have the original sim card. My carrier is different from the original carrier, so I'll need to jailbreak & unlock.

What is the best course of action? Most jailbreaking stuff requires the original SIM or a compliated hacktivation process, no?

BTW: I have already successfully unlocked/hacktivated/jailbroken an iPhone and an two iPhone 3G, so I am not a total noob.

Edit: And to what Firmware version should I upgrade?

Hate to double post, but this is kinda urgent: my old iphone 3G is crapping out and needs replacement asap.

I researched on how to hacktivate by now, the main question now is: do I stay on 4.2.1 or upgrade to 5.1.1?

4.2.1 seems to be easier to hacktivate, any important stuff I will miss out on?

I tried everything: sn0wbreeze, ifaith, redsn0w - I just can't do anything with the damn phone.

sn0wbreeze CFW results in error 26 or 3194, depending if I use an SHSH from ifaith or just do the normal procedure. redsn0w results in a jailbroken iPhone that works but the cydia icon is just plain grey and it keeps crashing on start. not sure if the jailbreak worked, how can I tell when cydia doesn't start??
tried updating to 5.1.1 with iTunes - some kind of error again.

HALP PLS

So it seems this is now the scar tissue posting by himself |OT|

status update: I now have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1

Apparently there is no unlock for 4.2.1, and none for 6.0

Any firmware inbetween can be be unlocked, however I cannot update to 4.3, 5.0 or 5.1.1 because those firmwares aren't signed by apple any more.

Am I shit out of luck until a 6.0 unlock appears? Or is there any way to upgrade to 5.1.1??

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I imagine you're SOL. When you're talking about unlocks, you're more worried about the baseband than the firmware.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is there a fast way to unlock a iphone 2g with 3.1.2??

thanks

Pachimari

I can't wait to get my jailbreak again, especially BiteSMS and Zephyr but it'll probably take months before we get an untethered jailbreak for iOS6 (iPhone 5).

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Sorry for the bump (no new news), but I had a question I was hoping for confirmation on..

I got hit by a spinning circle of death error on my Ipad 2 WiFi.

I've got the following shsh blobs: 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1

My iPad is in DFU mode and I will be unable to put anything on the device EXCEPT ios 6?

And because Apple is no longer signing 5.1.1, there's no way to downgrade in any way, shape or form, right?

So basically, wait and hope a jailbreak for io6 at this point if I want to JB/put Cydia back on?

Thanks in advance!

Load up Tinyumbrella and it will grab your blobs from the cydia servers, fooling itunes into thinking the earlier iOS versions that you have your shsh's saved for are still being signed.

sonitii

So it seems this is now the scar tissue posting by himself |OT|

status update: I now have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1

Apparently there is no unlock for 4.2.1, and none for 6.0

Any firmware inbetween can be be unlocked, however I cannot update to 4.3, 5.0 or 5.1.1 because those firmwares aren't signed by apple any more.

Am I shit out of luck until a 6.0 unlock appears? Or is there any way to upgrade to 5.1.1??

Is this an AT&T iPhone 4?

If it is, you can pay to have it unlocked on eBay for about $5 - $10. I just did this last week on my AT&T iPhone 4S and the unlock seems to be functional so far.

Apparently firmware & baseband doesn't matter for this method. It is done by changing the unlock status of your IMEI on Apple's database somehow.

Ashhong

Is this an AT&T iPhone 4?

If it is, you can pay to have it unlocked on eBay for about $5 - $10. I just did this last week on my AT&T iPhone 4S and the unlock seems to be functional so far.

Apparently firmware & baseband doesn't matter for this method. It is done by changing the unlock status of your IMEI on Apple's database somehow.

They literally do it through AT&T servers or something, just like they do when you're 2 year contract is up. How they have access to it is another thing.

ACE 1991

So I'm running 5.1.1 on my iphone 4 and I downloaded and installed absinthe 2.0.4. However, upon connecting my device, it simply says "Sorry, the attached device is not supported." Any help?

EDIT: Are 5.1 and 5.1.1 different? In my settings it says 5.1.

Plasmid

I have an Iphone 4 and i just jailbroke it with redsnow but it didn't even install cydia, i'mt hinking about going back down to 5.1.1.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still no Apple TV 3 JB, fuuuu. I'm not enjoying this device as much as I could be because of that. Damn you, Apple.

IOS 6 has not been jailbroken yet to my knowledge. So if you update to iOS6 you will lose your jailbreak.

However there are some tools I've heard of in Cydia that will track what jailbreak items you had. I can't remember what they are called, you will just have to read through the thread or google it.

freshair

Ok then, finally unbanned, so... guys, how do update to iOS6 now that my devices are jailbroken without losing all my JB stuff?

Only A4 devices are currently supported and only tethered jb works currently.
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...one-and-ipod-touch-a4-using-redsn0w-0.9.15b1/

Current list of tweaks that works on ios6
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/23/list-of-ios-6-jailbreak-tweaks/

And there's not way to upgrade w/o losing all your stuff. Luckily there are tools that make restoring those tweaks easier
http://www.cultofmac.com/169467/how...-apps-and-tweaks-from-cydia-ultimate-roundup/

IOS 6 has not been jailbroken yet to my knowledge. So if you update to iOS6 you will lose your jailbreak.

However there are some tools I've heard of in Cydia that will track what jailbreak items you had. I can't remember what they are called, you will just have to read through the thread or google it.

Oh, I was under the impression that iOS 6 had been broken already, my bad.^^

Only A4 devices are currently supported and only tethered jb works currently.
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...one-and-ipod-touch-a4-using-redsn0w-0.9.15b1/

Current list of tweaks that works on ios6
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/23/list-of-ios-6-jailbreak-tweaks/

And there's not way to upgrade w/o losing all your stuff. Luckily there are tools that make restoring those tweaks easier
http://www.cultofmac.com/169467/how...-apps-and-tweaks-from-cydia-ultimate-roundup/

Wow... so I have to pay, basically. Will these paid Backup thingies completely restore things back to how they were (ie, saved game states and roms for the emus that I have, blutrol configurations, etc) or do I have to do all that myself? If that's the case I guess I'll be stuck in 5.1.1 forever lol.

Anyone know of any hacks to stop the App Store from having notifications for iOS6-only applications? And also, any way to remove the notification saying to upgrade to iOS6 from System Preferences?

Oh, I was under the impression that iOS 6 had been broken already, my bad.^^

Sorry, I lied a little bit. I assumed you had something like an iPhone 4s or newer. The newest version of Redsn0w can tether jailbreak ios6 if you have an iPhone 4 or older. I should have asked what device you had first. Thanks "freshair" for the link

Bboy AJ

Another month, another waiting period for my Apple TV 3 JB.

Pachimari

Have they commented on an iPad Mini jailbreak? Seeing as it runs A5 it shouldn't be as hard to jailbreak? Of course it runs iOS 6.0.1 now.

Ambitious

My jailbroken 3GS just got stuck in an infinite Springboard restart loop.
The battery went out, I plugged the charger cable in and noticed the periodic vibrating. It always showed the lock screen and if I was quick enough I could also unlock it, but after 1-3 seconds it restarted. Interestingly, my JB tweaks were not loaded and many apps were missing.
I managed to shut it down then, and after turning it on again, everything was okay. Huh.

X-Frame

I recently discovered F.lux and want to jailbreak my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to use it and that's about it for now. Hopefully the iPhone 5 JB comes soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Second day of owning my iPhone and I miss jailbreaking immediately. Hopefully it's coming soon, the wait is excruciating :(

How do people even live without SBSettings?

I stopped jailbreaking my iPhone a couple of years ago, but now I'm looking to give it to someone on a different carrier.

It's an iPhone 4, running 6.0.1. Baseband is 04.12.02. Am I able to unlock it without any hardware modifications? I've searched around and can't find a straight answer.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mairu

Second day of owning my iPhone and I miss jailbreaking immediately. Hopefully it's coming soon, the wait is excruciating :(

How do people even live without SBSettings?

I miss it too... but you sorta learn to live without it. I won't hesitate to re-jailbreak when the 5 gets jailbroken though.

Plasmid

There's no untethered jailbreak for 6.0? -.-

okay so there's no jailbreak that's untethered, but what ios DOES have untethered?

I stopped jailbreaking my iPhone a couple of years ago, but now I'm looking to give it to someone on a different carrier.

It's an iPhone 4, running 6.0.1. Baseband is 04.12.02. Am I able to unlock it without any hardware modifications? I've searched around and can't find a straight answer.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'd like some info on this too. I'm new to the whole jailbreaking/unlock scene and I'm trying to sell my iphone, and it will fetch a higher price if it's unlocked. Any tips for how to unlock a 6.0.1 phone? Any guides/resources for learning how to unlock in general?

Internets

I know there's a tethered jailbreak for A4 devices for iOS 6.0, but does that work for 6.0.1 too? Can I just update to 6.0.1 via iTunes and then jailbreak it with redsn0w? I have an iPod Touch 4G btw

Ambitious

Some questions:

• Safari Swipe
    Is there an alternative? The delayed animation is really awkward, I'd prefer a real-time tab movement like in iCab Mobile or with Zephyr.
  • Is there a tweak that allows me to add Youtube links to Safari's reading list? That option is missing from the action menu.
  • Springtomize
    Is there an better alternative? I've got two annoying glitches. First, whereas the Newsstand icon is hidden, the only newspaper in there is actually displayed right on the homescreen. Second, the linen background of folders has become transparent for some reason, I can see app icons through it.
    I'd only need three options: Modifying the size and spacing of homescreen icons (also in directories; Springtomize doesn't allow that), hiding the app titles and using 5 rows instead of 4.

Top Bottom