• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Ok guys, I finally got the provider of my used iPhone 4 to unlock it.

Now, the problem is that I can't tell if Apple has unlocked it yet, and the provider can't tell me either.

How the fuck do I know when they unlocked it?

I read that I need to restore my iPhone to complete the unlock, any way to do this without updating? It's currently on iOS 4.3 and I don't want to update because there is no untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.

help pls

rinse82

iOS 6 Jailbreak coming on 12/22/12?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/11/u...s-6-expected-to-be-released-on-december-22nd/

A new development team going by the name Dream JB is expected to release the first untethered jailbreak on December 22nd for new Apple devices running iOS 6. The group has posted a message on its website claiming video proof of the one-click solution will arrive tomorrow via an unedited YouTube video.

According to the website, the tool will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, new iPad, iPad with Retina (4th gen), iPad Mini, iPod Touch 4G and 5G and run on Windows and OS X.

This will be the first untethered jailbreak for iOS 6, and the first major release since Absinthe jailbreak was released for iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1. Well-known iOS hackers such as Grant Paul (chpwn) and comex are doubtful of the jailbreak’s existence, claiming that due to Apple’s rather liquid iOS release dates and the impending update to iOS 6.1, if an untethered jailbreak was going to be released using exploits found in the first versions of iOS 6, it would have been released by now.

Nevertheless, it seems plausible that this team has found a userland exploit to jailbreak the iPhone 5 and newer iPads on iOS 6, and we’ll find out soon — if not tomorrow then on December 22nd.

Source: Dream JB
Via: BGR

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm fairly sure if they're announcing this then the 6.0.1 update will also be jailbreakable. They wouldn't waste the exploit otherwise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iOS6 only? I wonder, as most have upgraded to 6.0.1 because of all of the needed fixes it brought.

I'll be very happy if this is for 6.0.1. Very apathetic if not.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the reason why other dev teams are holding out is for the impending release of 6.1. When is 6.1 slated to hit?

Hopefully this is real but a new development team worries me. I feel like every time a new development team claims to have a jailbreak it just turns out to be a hoax.

railGUN

Banned
Jailbreak question - My dad bought an iPhone 3GS off eBay. He gave it to me to jailbreak, but the phone has been factory reset, and I can't get past the "SIM Not Valid" screen. It came SIMless and I don't have a SIM from the appropriate carrier. I've tried an inactive SIM and my SIM (from a prepaid carrier) but those won't let me past.

I only need to get past this screen to find out the current firmware (I think) but I've yet to Google any answers, outside sending it away, or getting an appropriate SIM.

Any suggestions on how to jailbreak this? Or is it not something I will be able to do?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, what are the latest news on 6.x.x jailbreaking? I didn't care before but with an iCade on the way (as a gift from me to a family member but I'll obviously get to abuse it too) I really want to Jailbreak again to make it more useful than the handful or so of officially released great games for it. Or is there any indication it won't be possible to Jailbreak again on newer iOS?

there isnt really any news. If you have an iPhone 4 you can do a tethered jailbreak, but other than that you'll have to wait. I'm sure there will be a new jailbreak eventually, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The iOS jailbreak scene seems to be dying

With the cydia micro-economy I would think there would still be as much of a push as ever to get a new jailbreak out there since a lot of people make money from it, but it seems there are fewer and fewer people interested in jailbreaking iOS these days

I wish I was smart enough to find iOS exploits because I will definitely miss some of my jailbreak tweaks when I upgrade to the iPhone 5

linkboy

there isnt really any news. If you have an iPhone 4 you can do a tethered jailbreak, but other than that you'll have to wait. I'm sure there will be a new jailbreak eventually, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The iOS jailbreak scene seems to be dying

With the cydia micro-economy I would think there would still be as much of a push as ever to get a new jailbreak out there since a lot of people make money from it, but it seems there are fewer and fewer people interested in jailbreaking iOS these days

I wish I was smart enough to find iOS exploits because I will definitely miss some of my jailbreak tweaks when I upgrade to the iPhone 5

I don't think that it's dying, it's more that it's getting harder to do since Apple is doing a better job at plugging exploits up.

MilkLizard

And the devs are waiting for iOS 6.1 to make sure the exploit is not fixed immediately after release of the jailbreak. At least that's what I read on Twitter a few weeks ago.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd wait until pod2g, musclenerd or comes comments on it first, there are so many fake videos and claims of jailbreaks right around the corner that pinches of salt should be mandatory. Unless they have and I missed it?

Karram

Does anyone here knows how to reset a 3GS iPhone to factory settings without losing the jailbreak/ unlock. I'm trying to reset my iPhone before selling it, and I can't find a way to do so since iTunes restores to the latest firmware only.

you should be able to use Redsn0w to restore to the same firmware its running. I did that on my 4S to restore to 5.1.1 when i got my 5 and it worked fine. in redsn0w its under more options - even more or something along those lines, you'll have to download the firmware you want to restore to and you have the option of selecting your blobs locally or fetching them from cydias servers.

btw if you have an "old bootrom" 3GS I believe it is jailbreakable untethered for life

edit: this method might screw up your unlock so i would look into that before doing it

TheContact

I can't seem to get Go Native! to work with GpsPhone. Anyone able to get this to work or know of a GBA emulator with multi tasking? I don't want to lose all my progress because I accidentally hit the home button

Man

I have an iPhone 4S (A5 device) with iOS 6.0.1. Can this be jailbroken currently (and how) ?
I don't believe RedSn0w can currently.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have an iPhone 4S (A5 device) with iOS 6.0.1. Can this be jailbroken currently (and how) ?
I don't believe RedSn0w can currently.
Answer seems to be no, sorry. I'm waiting too..

jts

...hate me...
But is there anyone working on that? How are the tweets, the anything?

The scene is dead isn't it? :(

.Brian.

Banned
Yessss. On a 5 I probably won't download much from Cydia just because the devs are gonna need a little bit of time to get stuff going for the new display, but I'll immediately be downloading biteSMS.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yessss. On a 5 I probably won't download much from Cydia just because the devs are gonna need a little bit of time to get stuff going for the new display, but I'll immediately be downloading biteSMS.

Quite a few things shouldn't have any issues.

Blackhead

Redarse

Damn your misleading post... It won't be as soon as 6.1 drops because they have to test it with the GM. And they're still working on the Beta 4 version, which isn't done.

:( saw a good deal for the iPhone 5 on Friday and grabbed it assuming the iOS 6.1 GM and jailbreak was around corner...

iJH7iabtqX8a9.gif

Pachimari

The dev team says the public release has the same exploits they plan on using for the jailbreak, so that's good.

But it also seems like they wanna wait until Sunday.

its coming soon! cant wait.

looks like they have to test on 22 different devices. also the apple tv 3 is not supported (boo!).

its spit and polish at this point, just have to be patient.

edit: i stand corrected - apple tv 2 is supported but not apple tv 3 (still boo!).

edit 2: spelling.

TheContact

I don't think I'm ever updating to ios6, but a lot of my apps I updated are broken now ios5 so I'm being forced to update if I want to use those apps again...I'll wait for the untether if it ever comes

Top Bottom