• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Quick

Banned

image.php

Hehehehehehe "test".

Fuck really? Awesome. Definitely solidifies me jailbreaking on sunday.

Did it on my 3rd gen ipod touch, but not my 4s.

Also want to be able to test my apps on my phone without paying 100 bucks...

well the people who ran installous / apptrackr shut it down and technically you can install cracked apps without jailbreaking. So basically its not really a reason to jailbreak anymore

You can use Siri itself but it's a headache which isn't even worth it IMO. Siri is mostly useless, especially on the iPad.

it does have its limited uses but im glad its a part of iOS now because for certain things it does accomplish a task faster than going thru menus on the phone would, for example saying "wake me up tomorrow at 7" or "remind me in 6 hours to do whatever" or for the occasional direction instead of opening the maps app, typing out what you want to search for and picking it on the map to start navigation you can instead just say "take me to walmart" also as more things become integrated to give real answers instead of a google search the more useful it becomes, like being able to tell you the score of a specific game and stuff like that

oh yeah and the "siri eyes free" thing that some new cars have sounds pretty cool, just being able to tell it to play a certain song in your library would be nice, im hoping it can handle some advanced functions like telling it to put a playlist on shuffle

Enzom21

I suggest everyone install Snowcover4, the lockscreen swipe controls alone make it an essential tweak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAv4HVI4zuE&sns=em

Auxo is pretty great, in fact I prefer it to sbsettings for quickly accessing your settings.

Zephyr is also an essential tweak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfoOrTJpgt8&sns=em

IntelliscreenX is a must have if only for the ability to collapse notifications in the notification center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwx9PUX_tz8&sns=em

I prefer iRealsms to Bitesms but they are essentially the same thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-6Fu3Paa8&sns=em

kennah

Weird question... The lock button on my 4s doesn't work anymore (and I didn't get AppleCare) is there a utility that will let me reboot/shutdown?

Pachimari

How do you do a full restore?

Through iTunes but remember to back up.

I'm actually doing the restore right now, hopefully I can manage to restore my back up as well unlike several past tries... Nervous.

Do we know how many hours left till they'll release the jailbreak?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I mean it :(

the ios simulator is neat, but it's not the same thing.

Also should edit that to say my apps.

Oh yeah? What apps are those? Because you certainly don't need Installous to do that. Just admit you're a pirate and move on, pirate.

Through iTunes but remember to back up.

I'm actually doing the restore right now, hopefully I can manage to restore my back up as well unlike several past tries... Nervous.

Do we know how many hours left till they'll release the jailbreak?

Question. I have made backup via icloud. thats enough or?

What is a full restore? and why do we need to do that? doesnt a backup work just as fine?
when I do a icloud backup, will all my photos and videos be backed up as well?

Pachimari

I'm trying to come up with a list of tweaks I wanna get for my iPhone 5 and this is what I have come up with so far - I am surprised at how many tweaks I actually want, even with iOS 6.1:

- BiteSMS
Probably the most important of them all. I miss "Quick Compose" to quickly send a message to one of my contacts; a way to read a message in any app, anywhere on the phone and having a photo display of the contact while also being able to read the SMS history with a drop-down.

- NCSettings
Quick way to dis/enable settings with a drop-down menu, like WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth etc.

- Auxo
I haven't had this one before but it looks very interesting with the way it closes apps in the multitasking bar but I'm contemplating if I should get NCSettings, now that this one also have quick settings.

- iFile
Haven't had this one either but using my phone as a USB drive sounds very handy, especially if I suddenly need to transfer something from school as I haven my charger with me - though I'm using Dropbox already.

- FolderEnhancer
Tear down that barrier of only having like 12 apps in a folder. I need more apps in a single folder or else I'll just have numerous folders named "Apps" like now.

Generally, I can't wait to play around with the Siri tweaks as well, like opening apps by talking to it but I hope they have fixed some of these tweaks.

Other tweaks to get are:
- iCaughtU
- iBlacklist
- PDANet
- LockInfo
- IntelliScreenX
- Dismissmykeyboard
- InfiniDock
- OpenSSH
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- Hands-Free Control (Siri)
- AnyVoice (Siri)
- SiriToggles (Siri)
- Callbar
- Double At
- Maps Opener

And there's some more but I have them listed on another device.

What are you guys getting?

I'm trying to come up with a list of tweaks I wanna get for my iPhone 5 and this is what I have come up with so far - I am surprised at how many tweaks I actually want, even with iOS 6.1:

- BiteSMS
Probably the most important of them all. I miss "Quick Compose" to quickly send a message to one of my contacts; a way to read a message in any app, anywhere on the phone and having a photo display of the contact while also being able to read the SMS history with a drop-down.

- NCSettings
Quick way to dis/enable settings with a drop-down menu, like WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth etc.

- Auxo
I haven't had this one before but it looks very interesting with the way it closes apps in the multitasking bar but I'm contemplating if I should get NCSettings, now that this one also have quick settings.

- iFile
Haven't had this one either but using my phone as a USB drive sounds very handy, especially if I suddenly need to transfer something from school as I haven my charger with me - though I'm using Dropbox already.

- FolderEnhancer
Tear down that barrier of only having like 12 apps in a folder. I need more apps in a single folder or else I'll just have numerous folders named "Apps" like now.

Generally, I can't wait to play around with the Siri tweaks as well, like opening apps by talking to it but I hope they have fixed some of these tweaks.

Other tweaks to get are:
- iCaughtU
- iBlacklist
- PDANet
- LockInfo
- IntelliScreenX
- Dismissmykeyboard
- InfiniDock
- OpenSSH
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- Hands-Free Control (Siri)
- AnyVoice (Siri)
- SiriToggles (Siri)
- Callbar
- Double At
- Maps Opener

And there's some more but I have them listed on another device.

What are you guys getting?

I am getting
Auxo
App cake
SBSettings
Intelliscreen X
Activator
3g Unrestrictor, unsure of if I need it these days?
Springtomize 2
folder enhancer
BiteSBS

Pachimari

Hmm guys, I need urgent help.

I restored my back up to my iPhone 5 but it haven't restored any of my apps and now only the stock apps are on there. Why is that and can I do anything about it? =/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm guys, I need urgent help.

I restored my back up to my iPhone 5 but it haven't restored any of my apps and now only the stock apps are on there. Why is that and can I do anything about it? =/

Sounds like you restored your backup but didn't go through the syncing step that follows after it.

Pachimari

Well it did sync. I could try restoring my back up again.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work. I have never been able to restore a back up. =(

Weird question... The lock button on my 4s doesn't work anymore (and I didn't get AppleCare) is there a utility that will let me reboot/shutdown?

Take it to an Apple store. Don't go in with an antagonistic attitude and something like that might just get replaced for free.

kennah

Take it to an Apple store. Don't go in with an antagonistic attitude and something like that might just get replaced for free.

They done freebies for me before, I don't want to push my luck too much. And I need a new back glass anyway, so was just going get the whole thing replaced when I can afford it. (Which I can start thinking about if this Jailbreak thing is all true and awesome)

If you have a developer account you can already do this, can't you?

I don't have a paid developer account because I don't have a hundred dollars to spend right now. You need a paid account to test outside Xcode and the simulator.

This has shit all to do with piracy. I have no intention to do that. It's difficult to test OpenGL apps on the simulator and that's what I'm working on.

But obviously I'm a fucking pirate Jesus Christ people.

Oh yeah? What apps are those? Because you certainly don't need Installous to do that. Just admit you're a pirate and move on, pirate.

How about the ones I'm actually developing? Fuck off. As someone who actually wants to publish an app why would I be so nonchalant about pirating especially when it would hurt me in the future?

Espresso

Banned
I have an iPhone 4S jailbroken on launch 5.0. Are there any advantages to upgrading to 6.1? The battery life's never been stellar, maybe 6.0's improved upon that?

my main ones will be:

NCSettings
BiteSMS
Five Icon Dock
Zephyr
Switchy (I tried Auxo, I dont think its as good as everyone is making it out to be)
NoNewsIsGoodNews
Software Update Killer

On a side note I know most of you are anxious to jailbreak but I guarantee the first version of evasi0n will have bugs. I've basically tried every jailbreak since the 3GS and I don't think there has been a single one that didn't go thru 2 or 3 revisions before all said and done. of course you can always jailbreak again once the bug fixes come out

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FYI: The only reason the jailbreakers said to do a full restore is because that's the first way they're testing it, for all we know it will work with updated firmwares as well.

Pachimari

The progress bar at evasi0n.com shows 80% now but they still have to do extended beta testing. Hopefully it's ready before 24 hours as I can then bring a jail broken phone with me Monday.

Ashhong

FYI: The only reason the jailbreakers said to do a full restore is because that's the first way they're testing it, for all we know it will work with updated firmwares as well.

I will wait for word on the OTA updated phones. I don't see what the difference would be..

Quick

Banned
Has there been any concerns about personal information being compromised due to jailbreaking?

I'm interested in trying it out again, but considering I did it on my iPod Touch last time, personal info wasn't such a concern, since my iPod didn't have anything. I'm more concerned now since I'd like to do this on my iPhone.

linkboy

Has there been any concerns about personal information being compromised due to jailbreaking?

I'm interested in trying it out again, but considering I did it on my iPod Touch last time, personal info wasn't such a concern, since my iPod didn't have anything. I'm more concerned now since I'd like to do this on my iPhone.

Only if you use it to put shady stuff on your phone. All jailbreaking is doing is giving you full control over your phone.

There's always a chance that you could install an app that compromises your personal data, but if you stick with legit Cydia apps (and don't use cracked apps), it shouldn't be a problem.

Pachimari

Someone posted this:

planetbeing ‏@planetbeing
Good full day of testing. Found some weird edge cases, but they're resolved. Still need to test on many other device/firmware combos.

And there's a lot of updates in Cydia now. LockInfo 5 is out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Only if you use it to put shady stuff on your phone. All jailbreaking is doing is giving you full control over your phone.

There's always a chance that you could install an app that compromises your personal data, but if you stick with legit Cydia apps (and don't use cracked apps), it shouldn't be a problem.
I have the same concerns as him so I'm wondering, how do you tell if an application is legitimate or not?

Quick

Banned

Thanks. I don't plan on installing anything outside of Cydia's repositories, unless deemed safe.

Pretty much. All I want from the jailbreak is to remove the lock screen (slide to unlock) and install f.lux on my iPad. I understand why Apple wouldn't implement something like f.lux, but disabling the lock screen is such a small and minor tweak, it's almost infuriating that I need a jailbreak for that.

Top Bottom