• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Pachimari

So there's 12 hours left of Sunday in California but they only teased a Sunday release if I remembering correctly. Anyway, it'll be Monday here no matter what.

X-Frame

Pretty much. All I want from the jailbreak is to remove the lock screen (slide to unlock) and install f.lux on my iPad. I understand why Apple wouldn't implement something like f.lux, but disabling the lock screen is such a small and minor tweak, it's almost infuriating that I need a jailbreak for that.

Out of curiosity, why do you understand Apple wouldn't implement a system-wide f.lux type setting? Or do you mean specifically allow f.lux as an app itself? Because then that makes sense, as it would have to be system wide.

I think Apple needs to implement a similar setting personally. That is the reason I am jailbreaking too. My eyes hate the blue glow at night.

Out of curiosity, why do you understand Apple wouldn't implement a system-wide f.lux type setting? Or do you mean specifically allow f.lux as an app itself? Because then that makes sense, as it would have to be system wide.

I think Apple needs to implement a similar setting personally. That is the reason I am jailbreaking too. My eyes hate the blue glow at night.

It sounds stupid, but I think it would confuse the users too much. Otherwise we'd see this kind of integration in other operating systems as well.

Pachimari

Yes! Got App Shopper on my iPhone 5 again, as all of a sudden iTunes decided to co-operate with me.

I guess there's still 11 hours left of Sunday in California, though they never promised it would be today.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yes! Got App Shopper on my iPhone 5 again, as all of a sudden iTunes decided to co-operate with me.

I guess there's still 11 hours left of Sunday in California, though they never promised it would be today.
I wish they would say if it was coming out today or not. They only dropped hints like crazy that it would come out today. It's kinda crazy that the whole jb scene is held hostage by 4 people that feel the need to Inflate their egos to crazy levels.

linkboy

I wish they would say if it was coming out today or not. They only dropped hints like crazy that it would come out today. It's kinda crazy that the whole jb scene is held hostage by 4 people that feel the need to Inflate their egos to crazy levels.

Yea, but I'd still rather have 4 people that want to inflate their ego vs nobody working on it at all.

Ashhong

I feel that you should be grateful they are doing anything, and updating you at all. So what if they dropped hints? Wasn't their last update that they were still testing it on various devices? Maybe they are a little busy?

DarkFlow

Banned
I feel that you should be grateful they are doing anything, and updating you at all. So what if they dropped hints? Wasn't their last update that they were still testing it on various devices? Maybe they are a little busy?
I should be grateful? They are not curing cancer here. Others have had exploits to this iOS 6 already they just choose not to share it. It's not the end of the world if they never release it. I just feel like they are milking this for money at this point. On the android side, when root was a hard thing to get on some phones, people would be working together and releasing what they had as they went. There was no donation bullshit, and making stupid team names to release it.

Ashhong

I should be grateful? They are not curing cancer here. Others have had exploits to this iOS 6 already they just choose not to share it. It's not the end of the world if they never release it. I just feel like they are milking this for money at this point. On the android side, when root was a hard thing to get on some phones, people would be working together and releasing what they had as they went. There was no donation bullshit, and making stupid team names to release it.

You can only be grateful for something if they are curing cancer? What the fuck? As you said, others have exploits and choose not to share. So then should you not be grateful to the team that WILL release it? Complaining because there's no update and with 9+ hours left in the day is entitlement at it's worst.

Rooting is also significantly easier than jailbreaking (this is an uneducated statement, and may or not be wrong). And I see rooters asking for donations on XDA and team names ALL THE TIME. Not sure what you're talking about.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Muscle nerd just tweeted that it would be released tomorrow. :(

Yep, from the Evad3rs twitter:
Final count down toward tomorrow's release has begun!

I wonder if anyone will complain about this despite them not having given a release date before now. Obviously they needed the time for testing and to make sure that it's safe for release. If one tiny thing went wrong it could have massive effects on the jailbreaking community, so I'm glad they took their time. One day is not long to wait!

X-Frame

I feel like I should still wait a few more days after the jailbreak has been out just incase .. this is my first time doing it so I'd want to be sure if there were any issues, it was before I did it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eh, I can wait another day when I've waited this long. Would rather have had it today though.

Gonna jailbreak my ipad 4 even though I don't know why. Anything I should look into?

Sorry, this is a big thread.
Wait for evasi0n jailbreak a day from now for specifics on how to do it, and then people will start recommending things as a ton of people begin to jailbreak again. Also some people posted lists of stuff in the past page or so, so you can look at those as well.

AndTAR

It sounds stupid, but I think it would confuse the users too much. Otherwise we'd see this kind of integration in other operating systems as well.

Couldn't they just steer around that by marketing it as something completely new/revolutionary ("The fantastic Retina display, with greatly reduced eye strain")? They could also just bury it in Accessibility Options, or something. No matter what, they would certainly implement it in a simpler way than F.lux itself currently does, so I see user confusion issues as approachable.

To me, F.lux-like functionality is so obvious an advantage, I can't imagine Apple just ditching it - they must have done their own research, and found some kind of technical disadvantage needing to be addressed. Maybe they're worried about messing with the precise color reproduction? It could also simply be too new a concept, disrupting a traditional way of using computer screens. (Then again, there you have a marketing opportunity.) Or maybe it makes the display stand out in an undesired way, or something completely weird.

I got an iPod touch 5g for free and hate it so I just use it as an alarm clock with tunein radio. What bothers me most about it is lack of custom equaliser and no drag and drop - I use Linux so no iTunes.
Does jail breaking allow me to drag and drop and use custom equalisers?

DarkFlow

Banned
I got an iPod touch 5g for free and hate it so I just use it as an alarm clock with tunein radio. What bothers me most about it is lack of custom equaliser and no drag and drop - I use Linux so no iTunes.
Does jail breaking allow me to drag and drop and use custom equalisers?
I don't think it can fix the drag and drop thing, but the equalizer I'm pretty sure is covered. Why don't you like the touch? It's pretty much a iPhone 5 without a cell radio.
As for Linux, just use wine and your covered.

I don't think it can fix the drag and drop thing, but the equalizer I'm pretty sure is covered. Why don't yu like the touch? It's pretty much a iPhone 5 without a cell radio.
As for Linux, just use wine and your covered.

I have a macbook but most of my music collection is on my PC and nas. Last time I used iTunes it messed up all my music collection so I'm not going to install it on my PC or letting it get anywhere near my collection again. .
I don't like the touch because it sounds rubbish with my earphones and headphones, and I prefer drag and drop to iTunes and I don't much care for the apps since I already have a phone that fulfills my app needs.
I mainly wanted it as an MP3 player though, so if I can get an equaliser working on it I'll be more than happy.

Ashhong

I have a macbook but most of my music collection is on my PC and nas. Last time I used iTunes it messed up all my music collection so I'm not going to install it on my PC or letting it get anywhere near my collection again. .
I don't like the touch because it sounds rubbish with my earphones and headphones, and I prefer drag and drop to iTunes and I don't much care for the apps since I already have a phone that fulfills my app needs.
I mainly wanted it as an MP3 player though, so if I can get an equaliser working on it I'll be more than happy.

Simply go into iTunes preferences and deselect the option for it to organize your music library. If you set it on manual sync then it's practically drag and drop. You just have to use iTunes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If I were going from iOS6 to iOS6 jailbreak I'd be really excited right now...

...but going from iOS5 jailbreak to iOS6 jailbreak? Not really that exciting. iOS6 isn't that great. I guess the FB integration is good?

Still I'll take it.

Brofist

If I were going from iOS6 to iOS6 jailbreak I'd be really excited right now...

...but going from iOS5 jailbreak to iOS6 jailbreak? Not really that exciting. iOS6 isn't that great. I guess the FB integration is good?

Still I'll take it.

If it wasn't for the Google Map app release this still probably wouldn't have been enough for me to upgrade to ios 6.

BocoDragon

If it wasn't for the Google Map app release this still probably wouldn't have been enough for me to upgrade to ios 6.

Oh yeah, agreed. Thankfully the Google app neutralized that whole issue, since its better than old or new Apple map apps.

BocoDragon

The bar is now at 96% for final testing.

hype.

Do most jailbreak tweaks work after an OS upgrade, or will they all have to be updated? I think there was a tethered jailbreak before, so perhaps a lot of that testing has been done?

Pachimari

Some people say they'll launch it at 17.00 UTC, noon EST, 9 AM PST, how many hours left for that?

And pod2g just tweeted "only a few hours to wait for #evasion now!"

Anyone know of a good cydia app that will change the clock so that it will be displayed on the home screen instead? I hate folders and the app icons, wish it was a better way of hiding them.

So close.

0Lmj7Kd.png

Pachimari

There's probably 30 min to 1.5 hours left. I haven't been this excited for a while. The last time I had a jailbroken phone were my iPhone 4 back in 2011.

I have missed it dearly.

The wait and process is actually more exciting than having it.
KuGsj.gif

nolockscreen and f.lux is all I want, but I'm sure it's more exiting for iPhone users.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The timer's counting down to 5:00 GMT (or noon America time or whatever) so I'd imagine it'll be released in an hour. I'll be heading home from work around then, hopefully someone will kindly make some sort of torrent link and post it here to help avoid the stress on their servers so I can give it a go when I get home!

Wiz

This will be my first jailbreak on my first iPhone (5). I don't know what I'll be getting, but I'm super excited to be unlocking this phone.

Also I've been wondering, would an unlock prevent me from upgrading to say, iOS 6.2 or even iOS 7 and keeping my jailbreak apps/tweaks etc?

Pachimari

This will be my first jailbreak on my first iPhone (5). I don't know what I'll be getting, but I'm super excited to be unlocking this phone.

Also I've been wondering, would an unlock prevent me from upgrading to say, iOS 6.2 or even iOS 7 and keeping my jailbreak apps/tweaks etc?

I'm pretty sure a jailbreak is a very different thing to unlocking.

But a jailbreak won't prevent to from upgrading to a new version of iOS, you'll just lose your jailbreak, unless there'll be a jailbreak for a later version of iOS.

Top Bottom