• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wait, so then you enjoy ascension more than dominion too? Ascension is a really good game, I just think its too impersonal, it almost feels solo most of the time.

Personal preference, like you say. It's an interesting thing to think about though. The lack of randomness and the interactive nature is what makes me really enjoy nightfall.

Opinions are fun! :)

Yes. To your point, I find Dominion to be one of the most multiplayer-solitaire games out there. In large part, it's really just a puzzle to which people can determine solutions (which cards to go after) to at the beginning of the game and then the best solution wins 30-45m later. But you could automate play irrespective of other players' actions and get the same result most of the time. Isotropic kind of ruined Dominion for me in a way, though I'd still be up for playing it any time.

Yes. To your point, I find Dominion to be one of the most multiplayer-solitaire games out there. In large part, it's really just a puzzle to which people can determine solutions (which cards to go after) to at the beginning of the game and then the best solution wins 30-45m later. But you could automate play irrespective of other players' actions and get the same result most of the time. Isotropic kind of ruined Dominion for me in a way, though I'd still be up for playing it any time.

What's isotropic? And honestly I shouldn't speak too much about dominion, I've only played it a couple times and the first time was with the recommended first game rules. It was cool but it did play out like you said, it was very solitaire. The second time was with a more of the interaction cards and it was a lot more fun.

I really find that most of these games are pretty breakable, like you say with dominion there is just certain things to buy in certain orders, and I'm sure PA is the same. Nightfall has something like too, there is a few cards that if they are out there you pretty much need to focus on. And then there is summoner wars which hereafter has shown us can be cracked.

I find all of this stuff very interesting!

mercviper

What's isotropic? And honestly I shouldn't speak too much about dominion, I've only played it a couple times and the first time was with the recommended first game rules. It was cool but it did play out like you said, it was very solitaire. The second time was with a more of the interaction cards and it was a lot more fun.

Isotropic is an online version of the game before Goku. Really well implemented and Goku was a pretty big step down, even if it had the pretty pretty graphics.

Oddly enough, though you get more interaction with the later sets of Dominion, I stopped playing IRL after buying the 5th expansion. Not because I got bored of it, but because it got too cumbersome to carry all the boxes around lol. I've bought 2-3 more expansions since and haven't even played them. :x

Davidion

Where do you see this? I looked in the store and I only saw the Expansion for $3, two 2-deck packs for $3, and the various other decks that you normally unlock by playing for $1 each. I didn't see a 'full unlock' for $5.
maybe I already bought it

Hahaha, it pops up in the actual app. You won't see it in the app store.

eznark

Banned
I fucking love the Penny Arcade card game!

I hate Fluxx. It's rad, but why the hell is there no landscape mode? Kills any interest I have in playing it.

Heel

Where do you see this? I looked in the store and I only saw the Expansion for $3, two 2-deck packs for $3, and the various other decks that you normally unlock by playing for $1 each. I didn't see a 'full unlock' for $5.
maybe I already bought it

I read it here. iTunes lists "Magic 2013 Premium Content Pack $4.99"

Slacker

The way the async/non-async games work in Penny Arcade GvE is really clever. If you turn on async mode, it eliminates any decisions other players would usually make during your turn, like resolving a PvP card. It also makes TouchWieners work automatically, where in a live game you can choose not to reveal it if you want. I love the attention to detail Playdek puts into their games.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUdqD.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The way the async/non-async games work in Penny Arcade GvE is really clever. If you turn on async mode, it eliminates any decisions other players would usually make during your turn, like resolving a PvP card. It also makes TouchWieners work automatically, where in a live game you can choose not to reveal it if you want. I love the attention to detail Playdek puts into their games.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUdqD.jpg

Yep -- if you are playing async please turn on async!

Card Boy

Banned
Why does it look exactly like Kard Kombat? I never enjoyed Kard Kombat, so tell me what's different and I might buy it. :p

Actually the Spectromancer developers allowed Hothead to make Kart Combat (or something to that effect). Spectromancer came out first on PC.

bonesquad

Wow, Penny Arcade is much better than I expected. And not just because I've beaten Hereafter twice:) (Fine, he beat me once then. Who knew those Crow cards were useful.) When I saw PA was from Cryptozoic - who did that shitty Food Fight game - I figured there was no way they could make a decent game.

That Async Rule is pretty cool. Here it's only a slight difference, but this might be nice to see in more games.

However, how the hell does a game come out these days and not be iPhone 5 ready. And why can't I mute the music (I can only turn it really low). Right now those are my only complains. And now I'm tired.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the PA game. Any fairly active players want to have a four player game? I never know who will take their turns regularly when I go to start them, haha.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the PA game. Any fairly active players want to have a four player game? I never know who will take their turns regularly when I go to start them, haha.

I'm on vacation, usually I take turns much more frequently :p

Bit slack on taking my turns this morning, cleaning up, then late for work.

Unrelated xmas tip. Do not let 4 year olds play with snow globes, or bash two snow globes together.

Davidion

I'm game; dave-edi-on in game center.

I've really warmed up to this game in the last couple of days; I think it has more to do with the (feeling of) ease when dealing with a static, known acquisition set.

Heel

Ra just got an update switching from OpenFeint to GameCenter. Anyone want to give it a try later? I've never played it.

CzarTim

Playing Ray in Stone Age, didn't have enough food or resources to feed my dudes, so I lost 10 points. That was the last move of the game... Ray won by 9 points, haha. Really like this game.

Playing Ray in Stone Age, didn't have enough food or resources to feed my dudes, so I lost 10 points. That was the last move of the game... Ray won by 9 points, haha. Really like this game.

Close game! It is really fun. I like that games end unlike caylus. Which usually times out other than the 2 games I've played with superrobot. Heh.

I also couldn't believe I came back and won that last summoner wars match. Haha.

Card Boy

Banned
Lots of TCG's have popped up on the Appstore in the last 5 days including SolForge on iPad aswell (previously was available on iPhone). Just search 'TCG, CCG or Trading Card Game' in the App Store.

This looks OK but may look crap on iPad.

http://appshopper.com/games/battlegrounds-of-eldhelm

mzl.ltyofdeg.640x960-75.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Lots of TCG's have popped up on the Appstore in the last 5 days including SolForge on iPad aswell (previously was available on iPhone). Just search 'TCG, CCG or Trading Card Game' in the App Store.

This looks OK but may look crap on iPad.

http://appshopper.com/games/battlegrounds-of-eldhelm

mzl.ltyofdeg.640x960-75.jpg

Hold on. SolForge is ALSO available on iPhone? All the news from the kickstarter and what we gathered here was that the free preview version was only made available to iPad. I can't find it in the iPhone Appstore either, what do you mean?

Davidion

Grand. Added you both! And I wasn't calling anyone out from here earlier by the way, I realise tis the season for being away from home right now!

Did I get kicked from the game or something? I confirmed it and then a few minute later I wasn't in the game anymore and there was a forfeit loss on my record? Odd.

Kosh

Diesel and Astro,

Sorry for the long time between turns in Le Harve, but I'm not getting notifications anymore. I don't think Diesel is either, it's currently his turn, but he's taken turns in other games.

Diesel and Astro,

Sorry for the long time between turns in Le Harve, but I'm not getting notifications anymore. I don't think Diesel is either, it's currently his turn, but he's taken turns in other games.
I've just been thinking for 2 hours :p
Someone else's go now.

Heel

Just finished the tutorial game in San Juan. Very cool! Clicked for me about half way through and won it at the end. Glad I picked it up while it's on sale.

How's the online multiplayer? I assume it's not that great but would love to give it a try if anyone's up for it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Did I get kicked from the game or something? I confirmed it and then a few minute later I wasn't in the game anymore and there was a forfeit loss on my record? Odd.
That's weird, not as far as I know! You weren't showing up in my friends list though even after you accepted my request so there's been oddness there too. Will start another game with you if I can!

Just finished the tutorial game in San Juan. Very cool! Clicked for me about half way through and won it at the end. Glad I picked it up while it's on sale.

How's the online multiplayer? I assume it's not that great but would love to give it a try if anyone's up for it.
I've never successfully started an online game.
I think games might have to be played live too.

Davidion

That's weird, not as far as I know! You weren't showing up in my friends list though even after you accepted my request so there's been oddness there too. Will start another game with you if I can!

Got in both. Let's hope they last! hahaha

Game must be janky...

bonesquad

Awe fudge. Stupid mistake in Summoner Wars...totally forgot what the Weaver's special power is. Now it can resurrect within range of my 1 HP summoner:(. That's what happens when I don't play anything for a few days. I'm an idiot. Grrr.

Solution is to play more I guess. Eh, back to Penny Arcade.

Top Bottom