• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

CzarTim

Awe fudge. Stupid mistake in Summoner Wars...totally forgot what the Weaver's special power is. Now it can resurrect within range of my 1 HP summoner:(. That's what happens when I don't play anything for a few days. I'm an idiot. Grrr.

Solution is to play more I guess. Eh, back to Penny Arcade.

I make stupid mistakes all the time and I play every day :p

Hereafter

I make stupid mistakes all the time and I play every day :p

We haven't played in while. Do you want to play vs me? I'm getting rusty at the game and I'll make stupid mistakes I promise!

@Bonesquad Want to kick my butt some more @ Penny Arcade?

@Heel You should play PA Card Game if you haven't already.

Edit:
@CzarTim, we're not friend on GC? Crazy. That's fixed! I hope you are better than that Smiley guy.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We haven't played in while. Do you want to play vs me? I'm getting rusty at the game and I'll make stupid mistakes I promise!

@Bonesquad Want to kick my butt some more @ Penny Arcade?

@Heel You should play PA Card Game if you haven't already.

Edit:
@CzarTim, we're not friend on GC? Crazy. That's fixed! I hope you are better than that Smiley guy.

Hey, you were the one avoiding our SW tourney semifinal.

tm24

We had one? I thought the tourney just fell apart.
Sorry, you can always challenge me if you want. I'll play with 1 hand behind my back.

Nope, i still have the $10 Amazon GC waiting for the victor. I really just should of given it to Hereafter anyways

Flynn

Question for other LeHavre players.

Does your game do a summersault every time you start it up?
Does the music come back on even though you turned it off?
Or is it just me?

Card Boy

Banned
I suggest people pick up NVS Wargame - Ninja vs Samurai. Its free for another day and the presentation and gameplay is great. Its sort of like Neuroshima Hex, but less complex.

Smiley90

I suggest people pick up NVS Wargame - Ninja vs Samurai. Its free for another day and the presentation and gameplay is great. Its sort of like Neuroshima Hex, but less complex.

But... Neuroshima Hex isn't complex...

butzopower

proud of his butz
Been on a short hiatus from this thread. Just bought PA, seems pretty rad. After playing SolForge preview, pretty sure It's my most anticipated 2013 release, though it already was. I have Stone Age, too, and am down for some 21 day async games in SA, PA, and Ascension; hit me up on GC: lambdabutz.

Ok I played like less than 5 games of PA GvE the real card game last year and it felt like green can't win. Or that red has a much much higher chance of winning. now that billions of people have played trillions of games via phone, does it seem like green, red and green/red balanced?

CzarTim

Ok I played like less than 5 games of PA GvE the real card game last year and it felt like green can't win. Or that red has a much much higher chance of winning. now that billions of people have played trillions of games via phone, does it seem like green, red and green/red balanced?

I've never won with green. Don't even try, really.

Kosh

I don't think you're supposed to just go for one color or the other. You need to mix it up. The green cards aren't worth any victory points in the end.

There are green cards worth taking, you need to spend your coins anyway. PvP blockers and green cards that give power seem to be good.

Smiley90

I don't think you're supposed to just go for one color or the other. You need to mix it up. The green cards aren't worth any victory points in the end.

There are green cards worth taking, you need to spend your coins anyway. PvP blockers and green cards that give power seem to be good.

whaaaah? I always thought the green boss cards gave Victory points too, same as the red boss cards, don't they?

mercviper

Green boss is worth 7, red boss 5.

That said, a green card win needs a really efficient engine to end the game earlier since you don't stockpile on face-up red cards, which are worth at least 1 star, which means you need the right combination of green cards out in play to do so. Red is just easier to win with in that regard :/

CzarTim

LSLSh.jpg

Ouch

Hereafter

The key is how the board is laid out. Usually you should for for green first to start the engine then slowly switch to red. Keep in mind the ratio for Red/Green to VP.

Generic Red is worth VP at the end but the ratio is horrid, 2/1 or 3/1 (unless it is the Raven then it's 4/4 [3/4, Pox] but it's a dead draw). Green will have no VP but will usually have a +1 or +2 effect. In the above game vs CzarTim, I deleted all my beginning Red cards and didn't have any power until my Boss Card provided it. As Tim can attest to, once that Green engine goes, it's a crazy thing to behold. Of course the counter to this would be to rush Red with someone like Anarchy (spelling?).

whaaaah? I always thought the green boss cards gave Victory points too, same as the red boss cards, don't they?
Green boss is worth 7, red boss 5.

That said, a green card win needs a really efficient engine to end the game earlier since you don't stockpile on face-up red cards, which are worth at least 1 star, which means you need the right combination of green cards out in play to do so. Red is just easier to win with in that regard :/
Right. Green doesn't get stars. Only the bosses do, at a higher rate. But even then, red gives static bonuses, and green gives random bonuses, determined by a d20. So to win with green only, you need to get a tight deck, clear bosses quickly, and get good d20 rolls. While green is doing this, red can buy any 1 red card each turn, no strategy, and give the green strat a close fight.

Yeah anyways, who cares about my idiocy, I bought the phone game so I can figure this shit out, too. I bought the demo copy at pax, months before the real release, and only got less than 5 games in, like I said. :( So yaaaay ios version.

Stantron

I picked up San Juan and Puerto Rico recently since they were on sale. They're both great.

Puerto Rico could use a redesign in the UI/presentation department though. Not all the rules are explained very well. It took me a while to learn how the Captain privilege works since the in game wording is not very clear. Even if you turn on "show victory points", it doesn't show current points earned in the city so you can't really tell who's really in the lead. The rule book shows that a prospector can earn a credit on his turn, but I don't see that icon in game. The rule book also states that a player must use the biggest empty ship for loading goods. But the game allows me to pick any size empty ship, and the AI doesn't even follow this rule. When in the colonist mode, I can't flip back to quickly to check how many coins are on each job so that I can strategize for later turns. I can't tap an idle building to check it's description; I need to drag that stupid ? icon all the way across the screen. I'm nitpicking. I still enjoy the game but I think Carcassonne spoiled me. I wish Coding Monkeys made Puerto Rico. :p

Smiley90

Is PA gonna be our new SW Hereafter? 63-61, it all came down to that last boss card :p I coulda bought it the turn right after you, too.

Hereafter

Lol probably, I'm still learning new strategies for the various heroes.

I'm trying that -1 to purchase boss loot heroes. I think he sucks, but we will see! I passed by the Scout for him, I hope he is worth it.

P.S. I did a quick math in my head for points count and figured it was worth it for me to close out the game :p, all skill! /cough cough

Smiley90

Lol probably, I'm still learning new strategies for the various heroes.

I'm trying that -1 to purchase boss loot heroes. I think he sucks, but we will see! I passed by the Scout for him, I hope he is worth it.

P.S. I did a quick math in my head for points count and figured it was worth it for me to close out the game :p, all skill! /cough cough

He's good :p There's only a few heroes that are sub-par I think. The Licence to kill one is kinda meh. Esp if there;s like a Fairy in play, then he's super redundant and has 0 benefit.

Hereafter

He's good :p There's only a few heroes that are sub-par I think. The Licence to kill one is kinda meh. Esp if there;s like a Fairy in play, then he's super redundant and has 0 benefit.

Honestly I'm not feeling it (maybe because I'm getting killed badly in our current game). The -1 is nice in theory but I rather use some that gives the +1 instead because I can leverage that to buy cards. I guess the flexibility is there but I just don't see it.

Or it can be I suck :).

For PA phone game, is the promo stuff in there? I believe it's robo santa FRUIT FUCKER PRIME red boss card, and younglings character

edit- dang. dang. no fruit fucker prime? dang. daaang.

KoolKing

Hey guys. I played Carc with a bunch of you a while back before taking a hiatus from pretty much all iOS gaming. I've got the bug again and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. Updated the Google Doc with my info.

Up for Carc, TTR Pocket and Lost Cities games anytime. GC name same as my Gaf ID.

eznark

Banned
Sorry I've been slow with my games. Holidays and all mean my kids actually get attention!

Battle of the Bulge is the best ill be back to playing games more quickly in a few days.

Flux is a cool game that I think just doesn't translate to asynchronous very well.

Hereafter

@Sladeums,

First game: Ouch! License to Kill is so slow compared to Anarchy.

Second: Fun game, my next turn had 6 drop your hand cards lol.

bonesquad

Anyone else have an issue in Penny Arcade where I swear I end my turn, but then later I go back and see that it claims I didn't? This keeps happening to my games. I also keep getting logged out of Game Center. I don't know if that has anything to do with this.

Bah, I can only win in Summoner Wars as the Fallen Kingdom. I pick someone else like the Dwarves, start with all three champs, can't summon due to my own stubbornness, get owned in 4 rounds:) Damn those fast moving Jungle Elves.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else have an issue in Penny Arcade where I swear I end my turn, but then later I go back and see that it claims I didn't? This keeps happening to my games. I also keep getting logged out of Game Center. I don't know if that has anything to do with this.

Bah, I can only win in Summoner Wars as the Fallen Kingdom. I pick someone else like the Dwarves, start with all three champs, can't summon due to my own stubbornness, get owned in 4 rounds:) Damn those fast moving Jungle Elves.
Yes -- the turn entry in PA seems a little laggy. If you finish a turn and have others, it seems to take 2-5 seconds to pop up the "next game" notification. Same for if you play a turn and leave quickly.

Kosh

Yep, the turn not ending thing is annoying. As for logging out of GC, that's happening to me too, but it seems to be happening mostly in Fluxx. I don't know if it's a Playdek thing or a GC thing.

Top Bottom