• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Davidion

HOW DID I LOSE THAT GAME TO WETFLAME *sobs*

Three games going now in PA; I'll be happy if I win one...

Edit: goddammit, wrong hero pick; I should really be more careful about that.

Finally sat down and played some Lost Cities over Christmas. Although I had no clue on tactics to win early on, I'm getting to grips with it now and I'm pretty hooked. Love how bite size the matches are.

Slacker

Finally sat down and played some Lost Cities over Christmas. Although I had no clue on tactics to win early on, I'm getting to grips with it now and I'm pretty hooked. Love how bite size the matches are.

I like to play best of 3 or 5 matches. Still goes super quick and it good fun. Great little game.

edit: whoops I do that in real life, not necessarily on iOS. Threads mixed up again. :)

CzarTim

Sorry, my bad. Updated and accounted for the inactives:

gaflostcities1.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
HOW DID I LOSE THAT GAME TO WETFLAME *sobs*

Three games going now in PA; I'll be happy if I win one...

Edit: goddammit, wrong hero pick; I should really be more careful about that.
Haha, sorry! I can't tell you really, I'm not sure if I've developed a winning strategy or just get lucky once in a while, think I'm winning about a third of the time. Enjoying the game regardless though!

Slacker

Another Kingdom Builder update today. Seems smoother, but online play still bugged as hell. If it let's me play at all, it assigns me some random-ass name.

Davidion

Haha, sorry! I can't tell you really, I'm not sure if I've developed a winning strategy or just get lucky once in a while, think I'm winning about a third of the time. Enjoying the game regardless though!

I try to stick with some pre-set strategies but that whole pesky card draw thing always messes it up. I feel like it's much harder to do hand control in any meaningful way in this game than Ascension.

Also, who is still playing Ascension, I need more games!

Hit me up, Dave-edi-on

CzarTim

Heel

Had a great game of PA with Thenafter. Won 67-64 with the last move, and we got each boss down to 1 notch of life. I think I gave him 3 PAX pox in my last turn too? Fun one!

Hereafter

Had a great game of PA with Thenafter. Won 67-64 with the last move, and we got each boss down to 1 notch of life. I think I gave him 3 PAX pox in my last turn too? Fun one!

Yes, it was a great game.. until the end :p

Don't know how often you guys play but Quarter to Three is having a monthly PA card game league (in addition to Ascension and Neuroshima Hex). For those who want some challenges this is a good place (i'm in all 3 leagues)

PA Card Game League Linkie

mercviper

Yes, it was a great game.. until the end :p

Don't know how often you guys play but Quarter to Three is having a monthly PA card game league (in addition to Ascension and Neuroshima Hex). For those who want some challenges this is a good place (i'm in all 3 leagues)

PA Card Game League Linkie

When aren't you in 5+ leagues? :p

Edit: I've played the PA game enough that I'm ready to see new cards. :x This could easily get to Dominion levels of badness for my wallet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess I should pick up the penny arcade game, but Carcassonne is still the only game I play on a regular basis and it is still just as fun as ever. I like all the expansions, but I still think the original is the best way to play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess I should pick up the penny arcade game, but Carcassonne is still the only game I play on a regular basis and it is still just as fun as ever. I like all the expansions, but I still think the original is the best way to play.

For 3-4 I think the expansions are almost essential (save The River, which I don't really care for), but for 2 in terms of rewarding skill yeah base is the way to go. Scores get kind of ridiculous with 2 and all the expansions. otoh the strategic decisions with 4 are quite interesting with the expansions.

Hereafter

When aren't you in 5+ leagues? :p

Edit: I've played the PA game enough that I'm ready to see new cards. :x This could easily get to Dominion levels of badness for my wallet.

Lol, well 2-3 leagues and 2-3 tournaments usually.

I'm usually trying to understand games better, not only to win but figure out how to consistently win. So play me more!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The river feels completely pointless to me. I end up usually not even placing any meeples during the river tiles because they always seem so risky for very little reward. I don't think it introduces much variability in the boards either that you don't already get in a normal game. I don't hate using the river but I don't really think it adds much either.

For 3-4 I think the expansions are almost essential (save The River, which I don't really care for), but for 2 in terms of rewarding skill yeah base is the way to go. Scores get kind of ridiculous with 2 and all the expansions. otoh the strategic decisions with 4 are quite interesting with the expansions.

The river feels completely pointless to me. I end up usually not even placing any meeples during the river tiles because they always seem so risky for very little reward. I don't think it introduces much variability in the boards either that you don't already get in a normal game. I don't hate using the river but I don't really think it adds much either.

I typically don't buy expansions for games but the Carc ones have been fantastic. I agree with you, Yaboosh about the river expansion. Definitely the weakest out of the lot. Traders and Builders might be my favorite so far because it retains what makes the base so special but adds an entirely new layer of strategy to the mix. Not that I'm all that great at it...but it's fun nonetheless!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The pig in Traders and Builders seems strange to me. Being able to put a pig down even if someone else has already put a pig down seems to mean that it should be one of the last things you do in the game, mostly without exception?

Also, the extra turn piece is fun for the most part. That seems to be something you want to get down ASAP. Obviously you don't want it trapped, but not having it down on the board at any one time seems like a huge problem.

I think Inns is my favorite expansion though.

CzarTim

sucka!

this is what sucks about no chat though. stupid downgrade from carc.

It's weird that no one does chat anymore. At first I thought it was just Playdek being Playdek, but it seems like everyone dropped it.

Also no "next game" button in Stone Age or Battle of the Bulge.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's weird that no one does chat anymore. At first I thought it was just Playdek being Playdek, but it seems like everyone dropped it.

Also no "next game" button in Stone Age or Battle of the Bulge.

This goes back to my HOW ON EARTH IS CARC STILL BY FAR THE BEST MOBILE BOARD GAME IMPLEMENTATION!?!?!? meme.

And yeah lack of Next Game in Stone Age in particular is pretty annoying.

Grifter

Dude couldn't mention tourney in the friend invite? :)

I had been starting otherwise vanilla Carc games with The River recently. I like the board that it sets up and how the river breaks farmland apart.

Haven't played the Carc table game for a while so Traders reminds me why I liked that expansion so much. Really opens up with game with the builder, creative tiles to fit trap spots, incentive to close others' towns, and so forth. The cathedral just became an all-or-nothing gamble or city killing piece in 4p and pieces like the 4-city tiles are silly. That said, when I was introducing the expansions to my friends that had limited Carc experience, they all preferred Inns & Cathedrals after first impressions.

oipic

Which Ascension expansions should I buy? I've played a ton of the base game.

Joining the chorus on this: if you've played a whole heap of the base game, then I reckon you'll definitely find enough reward and value in each (and all) of the expansions.

Is there still no ETA on the Immortal Heroes release, folks?

Dude couldn't mention tourney in the friend invite? :)

I had been starting otherwise vanilla Carc games with The River recently. I like the board that it sets up and how the river breaks farmland apart.

Haven't played the Carc table game for a while so Traders reminds me why I liked that expansion so much. Really opens up with game with the builder, creative tiles to fit trap spots, incentive to close others' towns, and so forth. The cathedral just became an all-or-nothing gamble or city killing piece in 4p and pieces like the 4-city tiles are silly. That said, when I was introducing the expansions to my friends that had limited Carc experience, they all preferred Inns & Cathedrals after first impressions.

I always forget that double meeple until some dude drops it in there and steals my city. MY CITY

Heel

sladeums, that last PA turn almost felt rigged...lol wow.

I rolled a 20 that let me get any two red cards I wanted from the board. Got a +3 and the last +3 w/ PVP attack.

That gave me just enough points to kill the last red boss and get the card that gives you 4 points and a PAX Pox.

The PVP attack I used resolved giving sladeums a PAX Pox for -1 point.

I won by 1 point.

sladeums

sladeums, that last PA turn almost felt rigged...lol wow.

I rolled a 20 that let me get any two red cards I wanted from the board. Got a +3 and the last +3 w/ PVP attack.

That gave me just enough points to kill the last red boss and get the card that gives you 4 points and a PAX Pox.

The PVP attack I used resolved giving sladeums a PAX Pox for -1 point.

I won by 1 point.

It's like Zynga Poker.
Straight up bullshit.

Heel

What are the best offline iPad board games against the AI?

I was looking at Elder Signs: Omens but don't know much about it. Worth it?

Card Boy

Banned
What are the best offline iPad board games against the AI?

I was looking at Elder Signs: Omens but don't know much about it. Worth it?

Pretty much all of them in the spreadsheet in the OP are playable offline again AI, except for Hero Academy. Not sure what the 'best' is, i like Magic The Gathering 2013.

Top Bottom