• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome, I'm definitely going to dig in to the tutorial and rules over the next few days then. Only thing that's kept people from playing it I think is the learning curve but so far I'm really impressed with their async implementation.

Also, Coding Monkeys, you beautiful bastards, you've done it again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In Stone Age, what are temporary tools? I went to the rulebook and it locked the game up on me.

One-time use. Instead of going into your permanent supply, you get rid of them after you use them (though you can use them any time, i.e., save them for later).

Awesome, I'm definitely going to dig in to the tutorial and rules over the next few days then. Only thing that's kept people from playing it I think is the learning curve but so far I'm really impressed with their async implementation.

Also, Coding Monkeys, you beautiful bastards, you've done it again.

It's really pretty simple. It just gets a little tricky when you are splitting up your groups and then mustering up new units.

eznark

Banned
One-time use. Instead of going into your permanent supply, you get rid of them after you use them (though you can use them any time, i.e., save them for later).

I don't see them popping up as options. Also, I totally thought all tools were one time use so I haven't been using them! fuuuuuu

bonesquad

Anyone play Cafe International? I see it dropped in price and added async, but I otherwise know nothing about it.

Then there's For the Win. Which reminds me of Hive? Didn't really like that game (real version or iOS version).

Too many games... back to the simplicity of Fluxx and others.

sladeums

Looks like the Playdek release this week is Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil .

Out now in NZ.
Later tonight in US, $4.99, Universal.

HIGHLIGHTS
•Offline and Online play
•Online Rematch option – There is no grace in defeat!
•Next Game button to allow you to move between multiple Online games when it’s your turn to play
•Human and AI opponents
•Game Center achievements
•Universal App – play on all your compatible iOS devices​
FEATURES
•2-4 players
•Single player vs AI
•Pass-and-play Multiplayer
•Full asynchronous support for multiplayer online games
•Invite Game Center friends to online games
•Maintain multiple Saved games
•Online game timers
•Online player stats
•Card Gallery- See Faerie Candymancer in all of her splendor!
•Introductory Tutorial-To Penny Arcade, not Shucking
•Rule Book​

LuMI3.jpg
tG61Q.jpg

AE4p7.jpg
4mqVW.jpg

eznark

Banned
Cool, added Penny Arcade to the spreadsheet. I think I'll wait for some reviews before buying it or not.

I'll grab it for sure. I'm pretty meh on PA but the game sounded pretty excellent and I think I am going to PAX East this year so I should brush up on the memes.

I've been playing a fair bit of Battle of the Bulge and it is very impressive. I have no experience with war games, so to me it plays like a board game. It's one board and two different scenarios.

The first scenario is a quick one with limited objectives. Plays about as fast as a game of Ascension. The other scenario is a full replaying of the Battle of the Bulge. I haven't played with that much. The set up for each scenario is always the same, but each match plays very differently after the first couple moves. There are four AI per scenario (2 per side). They're not "easy" or "hard", just different play styles. In the long-term, I think I will appreciate that far more.

The UI is fantastic and it really shines being built from the ground up for iPad. It has lots of history integrated into the game and a deep help and manual system.

I really really recommend it.

Jonnyram

I don't post in here much these days, but I'm still playing Carc.
Just got the new expansion. Anyone up for games, invite me as and when :)

pilonv1

Finally updated to iOS6 so I'm back on for Racer Feud if anyone is still playing.

I don't post in here much these days, but I'm still playing Carc.
Just got the new expansion. Anyone up for games, invite me as and when :)

I noticed you invited me but I haven't got the expansion yet! As soon as I get it I'll accept.

Add me to your Carc games too!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sooooo not to pile on but the Solforge free beta is out on iPad and it is quite worth a shot (well, especially if you're a backer like me :p). App is so much better done than the Magic app (which is cute in many ways but way too slow and buggy). Art and gameplay seem quite good so far; app is really pretty.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am in on the Carc expansion. Invite invite invite invite.

Edit: I just played a game against the AI 1v1 and I am not sure I like the extra turn mechanic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Pretty popular solo dice game w/ war theme, but seems from the BGG comments that it's quite unexpected and a bit slapped together unfortunately (or fortunately if you're like me and are trying to play most of the new stuff).

Currently focusing on:
-Carc + I&C + T&B (The Carc Canon, now on iOS. Beautiful.)
-Stone Age (Can't wait until we get a proper iPad version and a few optimizations but this is a great first effort.)
-Fluxx (Quick, goofy, fun. (On iOS; I still wouldn't bust it out IRL. :p))

Learning:
-Titan HD (Soon! Although it seems like there aren't badge notifications. D'oh! Async seems good otherwise.)
-SolForge (Excellent beta.)

Still playing:
-Ascension (This game is great, especially if you take a little break from it then come back like I did.)
-Le Havre (Fantastic since the retina upgrade.)
-Lost Cities (Popcorn gaming -- fast & easy.)

Waiting on:
-Penny Arcade (Still not out here on the West Coast. :p)

CzarTim

Sooooo not to pile on but the Solforge free beta is out on iPad and it is quite worth a shot (well, especially if you're a backer like me :p). App is so much better done than the Magic app (which is cute in many ways but way too slow and buggy). Art and gameplay seem quite good so far; app is really pretty.

Good fun. Can't wait for a full release.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been trying to send out invites as I can, but if you have a game and just want to get some games in, hit up the spreadsheet and definitely invite anyone with an underlined X or O under the title. If they don't respond, then let us know so we can remove them from the spreadsheet. Definite point of the spreadsheet is so you could easily and quickly get lots of GAF games going for any game in your library. Only way it ever fails really is if the async implementation in the game sucks (Ticket to Ride, any non-GameCenter-nickname async, etc.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5hHowl3tFldFVFZUpFYUhNOGpadGJMUURYd0M4bXc#gid=0

Ive updated mine with underlines, so im good to play those at anytime. But the ones I own that arent underlined, if people want to play them, just let me know and I will probably play them too.

But now, its time for PATGGVE....haha

Penny Arcade is great.
* wistfully imagines an alternate universe where Playdek implemented Dominion *

Can you underline Xs in the spreadsheet using iOS?
If not I'll change it later.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Bought Penny Arcade, send me invites if possible! I'll send some out too since GC apparently hates me. Another awesome playdek job.

They'd be perfect for Dominion :'( proven by Ascension and Penny Arcade :( Penny Arcade is so much like Dominion :lol. Just has funnier cards.

Also bought T&B, had some invites already, send me more! Actively looking for:

Stone Age
Carc T&B
Penny Arcade
Lost Cities
(Fluxx) (I have a lot of games going, but it's simple enough)
Nightfall (for some odd reason, I keep playing it, while Ascension&SW have had to take the backseat a bit...)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Sent a couple of invites out on Penny Arcade, updated the spreadsheet but my name's 1000needles on GC if you're after a game. Love the art, hopefully I won't be too terrible at this!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sent a couple of invites out on Penny Arcade, updated the spreadsheet but my name's 1000needles on GC if you're after a game. Love the art, hopefully I won't be too terrible at this!

Did you make gametime 1 day on purpose? ;) I sent a re-invite with 21 days.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Did you make gametime 1 day on purpose? ;) I sent a re-invite with 21 days.

I did actually, but then I think that's a habit from playing with randoms. If I start games with 21 day limits there's always a chance someone will take 21 days to play, haha. Obviously that's not as much of an issue here.

Just got my arse handed to me in my first game of PA. Damn that Santa boss card.

Hey guys. Back after a hiatus of sorts. Apologies if any games were left hanging, wasn't in a position to play.

That said, I'm back and just bought the new Carc stuff. Only interested in Carc for now and edited my spreadsheet line.

Davidion

So not only is Spectromancer out to rob my time, but also the Solforge alpha...

Why do I pay money to support my own poor time management? *sobs*

Slacker

Penny Arcade is great.
* wistfully imagines an alternate universe where Playdek implemented Dominion *

I had the exact thought. Along with a few thousand other iOS boardgamers I imagine.

Battle of the Bulge picked a bad time to come out. I am officially booked when it comes to gaming time. :) Looking forward to a few hundred distractions at work today making my Carcassonne, Stone Age, and Penny Arcade moves (along with a few lingering games of Summoner Wars, Hero Academy, Lost Cities, and Tigris). Sorry, actual job!

Slacker

I always forget how awesome December is for the iOS gaming fan. Btw, one reason Battle of the Bulge released when it did is to match the actual dates of the Battle of the Bulge. It too started 12/16.

It is a great game and I hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably get a couple iTunes cards for Christmas and BotB will be the first game I pick up. ;)

Top Bottom