• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The co-op games are all quite fun solo. Elder Sign, Ghost Stories, and Forbidden Island. Ticket to Ride is also quite fun against the AI in my limited play. Alien Frontiers, Neurshima, San Juan -- all pretty good.

Heel

Pretty much all of them in the spreadsheet in the OP are playable offline again AI, except for Hero Academy. Not sure what the 'best' is, i like Magic The Gathering 2013.

The co-op games are all quite fun solo. Elder Sign, Ghost Stories, and Forbidden Island. Ticket to Ride is also quite fun against the AI in my limited play. Alien Frontiers, Neurshima, San Juan -- all pretty good.

Cool, I'll probably pick up Elder Sign eventually.

Heel/Sladeums, I redid the 3 player game with Asynchronous on. Hope that's okay.

Cool with me. I'm pretty sure I set up the game and I had no idea there even was an async toggle, hah.

Hereafter

Cool, I'll probably pick up Elder Sign eventually.

You should pick up Neuroshima Hex and Ghost Stories before Elder Signs. IMHO of course but I find both of them better than Elder Signs. Neuroshima Hex is great because once you are done/bored with the single player part then you can play me in Async!

If you get Neuroshima Hex and like it, check out Neuroshima Hex Puzzle.

Keasar

This iPad is going to be the end of me. So many games I can finally catch up to now that I have wanted to play.

Le Havre, Neuroshima Hex, Tigris and Europhrates, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Dominant Species, BattleCON, dont know if Battle Academy counts but it almost should.

I am about to be ruined. D:

Heel

Anyone who wants to play Lost Cities, feel free to send me friend requests / game invites! sladeums and smiley, get in on this!

You should pick up Neuroshima Hex and Ghost Stories before Elder Signs. IMHO of course but I find both of them better than Elder Signs. Neuroshima Hex is great because once you are done/bored with the single player part then you can play me in Async!

If you get Neuroshima Hex and like it, check out Neuroshima Hex Puzzle.

I own NH so I guess I'll give it another try. It didn't really stick with me the first time around, though.

Do any board games let you play async? I finally "got" Carcassonne this weekend and totally love it now (FINALLY), but I can't always sit down for a half hour to play...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do any board games let you play async? I finally "got" Carcassonne this weekend and totally love it now (FINALLY), but I can't always sit down for a half hour to play...

Carcassonne is THE async game. :) All friend matches are async.

Other excellent async titles:
-Ascension (it's like PA)
-Lost Cities (by the makers of PA -- iPhone but you can blow it up 2x and it looks fine -- simple but very fun just like Carc)
-Summoner Wars (think you got this -- you should really give it a(nother?) shot -- justifiably Pocket Tactics GOTY)
-Stone Age (also iPhone, but good game)

Some others that are good but a bit deeper so you'd have to spend maybe an hour or so learning the rules:
-Le Havre
-Tigris & Euphrates
-Neuroshima Hex

mercviper

Carc is actually async if you play with friends. Just add anybody in the OP spreadsheet and they'll play. I'm assuming you've been playing the 'quick games' which are sit down and play.

Carcassonne is THE async game. :) All friend matches are async.

Other excellent async titles:
-Ascension (it's like PA)
-Lost Cities (by the makers of PA -- iPhone but you can blow it up 2x and it looks fine -- simple but very fun just like Carc)
-Summoner Wars (think you got this -- you should really give it a(nother?) shot -- justifiably Pocket Tactics GOTY)
-Stone Age (also iPhone, but good game)

Some others that are good but a bit deeper so you'd have to spend maybe an hour or so learning the rules:
-Le Havre
-Tigris & Euphrates
-Neuroshima Hex

I was going to add hero academy but I'm pretty sure you have that already as well. PA: Gamers vs Evil, also excellent. I dunno if Astro's mentioning it in reference means that you already have it.

Added myself to spreadsheet. Thanks again, dudes!

And yeah, you guys are pretty up to date on my games. I have HA and PA and am getting back into Food Fight. :)

mercviper

Oh Titan HD has async too. As well as Racer Feud. I've been missing my turns in Titan because of lack of badges, but otherwise the implementation is really good.

eznark

Banned
Other than a small pool of cards, I find it to be pretty great. It's kinda like only having the base set of Dominion to play with. Do you not like it?

It feels brain dead. There isn't enough of a variation in the cards to really make it stick with me. Basically every game ends with the red pile getting depleted and the green never getting touched. I've tried spicing it up by making attack only decks, trying to go all tokens, etc but it just seems blah. And I'm .500 so it's not because I stuck! It does make me want to play tons more ascension though.

mercviper

It feels brain dead. There isn't enough of a variation in the cards to really make it stick with me. Basically every game ends with the red pile getting depleted and the green never getting touched. I've tried spicing it up by making attack only decks, trying to go all tokens, etc but it just seems blah. And I'm .500 so it's not because I stuck! It does make me want to play tons more ascension though.

I see where you're coming from, but I pretty much discount that part because it's the base game right now. Ascension and Dominion both felt the same to me until I got expansions for them.

So in the sense that there's lack of variety? Yeah that kinda sucks. The game itself doesn't though. I also disagree about the green pile being untouched always. I feel it's closer to a 40/60 spread between green/red decks with the bias towards red decks given the current card diversity.

So am I missing something with the Carcassonne GC integration or is AstroLad the only person on my Friends List who actually plays it? GC ID is KidInsomnia.

AirBrian

So what's the preference on starting new Carc games? Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals? Does anyone like starting with Rivers too?

That's the old way before GC was integrated. You can you the ingame list to invite people that are GC friends if they have the game.

I have the latest version, but right now the only person on my ingame list is AstroLad, even though I know there are other GC friends who have it and have played it recently.

mercviper

I have the latest version, but right now the only person on my ingame list is AstroLad, even though I know there are other GC friends who have it and have played it recently.

Weird. I'll add you when I get home and see if you can start a game then? (I don't think we're actually GC friends because we only played with HA's user system.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Maybe it takes a little while to populate? I know Playdek games are like this sometimes.

As for expansions, I like base for 2p, one of T&C or I&C for 3, and both for 4.

AirBrian

Yeah. I sent you a request yesterday or the day before.

:D

What list are you pulling from? In-game or GC? If I go to create a new game and scroll down past email (the old method) friends, all my GC friends appear -- including yourself which we just connected today. That's weird if they're not showing up for you.

What list are you pulling from? In-game or GC? If I go to create a new game and scroll down past email (the old method) friends, all my GC friends appear -- including yourself which we just connected today. That's weird if they're not showing up for you.

OMFG. I just never scrolled down.

JESUS CHRIST.

Okay, dumb question #368.

How do I know when it's my turn? If my opponent's scroll is faded out, it's my turn right? I think it's just my connection sucks, each game I go into, the top right corner has my opponents tile and the spinning wheel loading sign over it.

AirBrian

Okay, dumb question #368.

How do I know when it's my turn? If my opponent's scroll is faded out, it's my turn right? I think it's just my connection sucks, each game I go into, the top right corner has my opponents tile and the spinning wheel loading sign over it.
No, I think that's normal...

The little meeple icon in your game list will show green when it's your turn. It'll be brown when someone else has moved since you last were in the game, but it's not your turn. Also, if you have badges/notifications on, you'll see that too on your Carc icon. Carc has probably the best async system out there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No, I think that's normal...

The little meeple icon in your game list will show green when it's your turn. It'll be brown when someone else has moved since you last were in the game, but it's not your turn. Also, if you have badges/notifications on, you'll see that too on your Carc icon. Carc has probably the best async system out there.

Yup! If it's your turn you'll have a badge on the icon, and a green meeple as described. The only thing you don't get badges on are new invites (though you do get notifications for those), so it helps to check for those sometimes. Also if you are in a game you'll have a green meeple in the gear if it's your turn in another. Hit the gear and you can go the Next Game from there which will take you to your turn.

Heel

Im really bad at Lost Cities.

Did you have more cards that you could play or had you run out of options? You can take cards back from the discard piles instead of drawing a new one from the deck to prolong the game at the end (will take twice as long to end the game if only one person is drawing).

There is strategy to increase your chances of winning, but it does come down to a bit of luck too. A lot like Carc in that regard.

Did you have more cards that you could play or had you run out of options? You can take cards back from the discard piles instead of drawing a new one from the deck to prolong the game at the end (will take twice as long to end the game if only one person is drawing).

There is strategy to increase your chances of winning, but it does come down to a bit of luck too. A lot like Carc in that regard.

Yeah, its one of those things where I know how the game works, and at least have a decent idea of what to do any given turn....I just end up fucking around instead though, I dunno! haha

radjago

I have a couple of questions about PA before I jump in. Is batmilk still OP/broken? Are any of the bonus heroes or boss cards included? If not are there IAP announced for those or the expansion?

There is luck in Carcasonne, but I find there's far more luck in Lost Cities. And this is coming from the guy who's in first in the LC tournament.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Luck in Carc scales up with # of players and also # of expansions. If you're playing 5p with the base game it might be fun but yeah you might as well flip a coin.

Lost Cities though per the rules it's supposed to be played w/ 3 rounds of play and you add up the scores (which is how I always played it) because yeah you can get crazy lucky in one round. Wish the app had that option.

Lost Cities is abusing me terribly, I get the gist of the general rules but the Ai still keep ripping me a new one generally all the time. When I next have the chance I might set up a few games with the gaf community here and hopefully pick up some tricks.

AirBrian

How do coin cards work in Lost Cities and why do I get so many of them

Coins are basically multipliers. Each coin adds another -20 to your score for that column, but also increases the multiplier of that color. So if you use one it's x2, if you use two, it's x3, and if you use three of them, it's x4. They also count towards the 8-card bonus, so you could get the +20 bonus for only having 5 cards played on the field if you had 3 coin cards (6 cards with 2 coins or 7 cards with 1 coin card played).

The flip side is the additional risk you take on if you don't reach the positive. It's something I get burned on all the damn time. :lol

Heel

Going to wind down on PA games. I dunno what it is, but it's really not grabbing me like Ascension did. Always the last game I take my turns in.

I think going for green cards in PA is viable, but Thereafter definitely proved it in our last game. Those multiplier cards are brutal if you can get them going.

Anyone reading: I'm accepting all Lost Cities, Racer Feud and Carc invites!

Hereafter

Summoner Wars is hard
:(

Yeah, it's not newbie friendly until you get some games under your belt. It took me 10 or so games against top players to figure out what I needed to do. The lack of chat didn't help :-(.

What race are you plaing? Would you like some advice deck building tips?

CzarTim

It's basically HA, but with non-guaranteed attacks. A lot of the game is also learning what each deck (team) can do so you know what to expect from the enemy, as well as what you can do with your own synergies.

Yeah, like DOTA, you really need to play a few games with each faction to get the hang of it. Luckily there are only a handful rather than a bazillion.

Top Bottom