• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Top invites, right?

Astro, HMU! I just spent $8 to play you!

Doesn't really matter since the armies are predetermined.

Man it felt like that game was 100 to 0. I couldn't get anything going. :( GG!

Yeah, you were kind of in a bad place all match, we had such weird tile placement going on. It worked out for me though, I got to chip enough of your HQs HP away while still being able to defend my base.

I do wish we could have kept our HQs near each other though, I love all out wars between Hegemony and Borgo. Haha

It'll be the same app afaik. (Rivals looks like a separate app).
Given the trading aspect they may not want to support an async mode though. Especially if they are going cross platform.

Master set races!!!!!!

I meant to comment on this! So fucking excited for the master set stuff! I've had to hold myself back a few times from buying the actual board master set board game because I know I would never play it since my friends don't care much for SW but I really want to try out all the new shit!!

SW tournament LEAGUE style for SURE. When that drops, because I'm sure the base game will be 99c, so new people can get in with the old stuff and old fans can have some fun with the new armies.

tm24

I meant to comment on this! So fucking excited for the master set stuff! I've had to hold myself back a few times from buying the actual board master set board game because I know I would never play it since my friends don't care much for SW but I really want to try out all the new shit!!

SW tournament LEAGUE style for SURE. When that drops, because I'm sure the base game will be 99c, so new people can get in with the old stuff and old fans can have some fun with the new armies.
Swamp orcs coming in SW! Vine walls! Vine walls everywhere

All we need is an even number of people joining the tournament. Then I suppose we could use rankings from the past tournament(s) and match together the highest ranking finishers with the lowest, so it'd go something like:

1st place finisher + 16th place finisher vs. 8th place finisher + 9th place finisher

etc.

All we need is an even number of people joining the tournament. Then I suppose we could use rankings from the past tournament(s) and match together the highest ranking finishers with the lowest, so it'd go something like:

1st place finisher + 16th place finisher vs. 8th place finisher + 9th place finisher

etc.

Ok, one issue though. The tournaments dont really rank anyone below 4th. so from the last carc one its this:

1st AstroLad | AstroLad
2nd Mike Works | mikeworks
3rd CzarTim | CzarTim
4th place: Slacker | Slacker

5th place tie:
Gamecocks625 | Gamecocks625
superrobot | Diesel Pioneer
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
Gatekeeper | Z3R0_5UM

9th place tie:
mercviper | mercviper
eznark | eznark
blahness | blahness
Got the Shakes | Got the Shakes
octobot | MechaOctobot
AirBrian | AirBrian
Heel | [Slade]
Kennah | kenchuk

I guess then we could rank them by ELO, but only within their brackets? New people get ranked below the people who have already competed?

Alternatively you just say fuck all that and go by ELO, but obviously give the top 4 people their spots, since those were earned.

edit:

So would it be combined scores or player with the best score?

Good question. I would personally say you would go with combined.

One and done tournament?
Best of 3?
loser bracket style?
Or a League with a mini tournament? like the Neuroshima Hex stuff.
What expansions?
Combined score or top score?

I like the idea of Carc Ryder Cup, especially if we have 16 players.
Two captains (1st and 2nd from the last tourney), teams of 8 (USA v ROW, or draft or something)

Captains pick pairs to play in 4 'fourball' matches - 2 points for the winner, combined score, everyone gets a game.
Then a round of 8 singles - 1 point for the winner.
Captains pick the order in secret.

First Team to 9 points wins!

Trash talk! Mind games! Kiawah Island!

Agricola Interview on BGG

No details on release date or pricing yet

online snippet - yay ratings:
"It’s based on the Playdek model with all the features we’re used to: timers, inviting friends to play games, push notifications when it’s your turn. What we've added to this is every player has a rating. When you finish a game your rating will go up or down based on how you finished in that game."

Heel

Yes it is, and the price is going up to 10$ I think. Buy, buy, buy!

Bought!

Kickstarter said:
I already own Small World iPad, how can I get Small World 2?

You're in luck. Not only did you only play $ 6.99 for the base game (the price on the app store will increase to $ 9.99 once Small World 2 ships), you will also automatically receive a free upgrade to Small World 2 for iPad, when it ships later this summer. Yes - you will be getting the 3-5 player maps, online gaming, retina support and much more all for free.

I like the idea of Carc Ryder Cup, especially if we have 16 players.
Two captains (1st and 2nd from the last tourney), teams of 8 (USA v ROW, or draft or something)

Captains pick pairs to play in 4 'fourball' matches - 2 points for the winner, combined score, everyone gets a game.
Then a round of 8 singles - 1 point for the winner.
Captains pick the order in secret.

First Team to 9 points wins!

Trash talk! Mind games! Kiawah Island!

Didnt expect a Ryder Cup reference in here, heh.

Sounds interesting, but a lot of work, if you want to set all that stuff up, then I can enter it into challonge and keep track of the scores.

mercviper

Just a heads up I'm going to be in BFE this weekend so I likely won't have net access. Any games I'm in are going to stall til monday night.

Just picked up a bunch of Playdek stuff due to the sale. Got a lot of catching up to do.

Ahh nice. Didn't know they had a sale going.

I mean I've owned everything of theirs for a long time, but it's nice when IAP stuff goes on sale too.

We might have to run a SW tourney now since its a buck for people who don't have it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Any specific expansions I should pick up? Or should I just stick with the base stuff for a while until I figure everything out?

Li Kao

Hmm, guys, this is rather embarrasing yeah but... I'm a noob to asynch play and I'm also a nice guy. So, how one is meant to play an asynch game ?
With the timezones that gaf spans, with outside life etc, how ? I mean on paper the thing seems neat, but the few games I played were with people who played soon after my turn. And I can imagine a whole lot of games being living hell with a one turn per day rythm.
How do you approach asynch play ? Is there an etiquette ?

Maybe, just maybeeee I'm over thinking it, but I'm the sort of guy that, if I play a game with someone, I want this someone to pass a good time. No point otherwise.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
on that note i've been really slow with turns this week because our wi-fi isn't working right. will resume taking turns tomorrow

eznark

Banned
I play when I can. I'm not sure why I'd be upset that someone is playing super slow unless its a game like Eclipse that has capped games.

Li Kao

Ok well, I'm discovering/rediscovering a lot of my bg on ios, so if anyone wants to play.
And while I just played the game a few times, I would be interested in a SW tourney.

These days I tried...
Haunted Hollow - found it very good at first even if the game doesn't miss a fucking chance to tell you there is this or that as IAP. Maybe a little too simple or maybe my interest will go down quickly, didn't play enough to pass that kind of judgement.

Eclipse - when people say it's a rich game, they aren't joking. I was stomped by the length of the tutorial, stomped by the ennemies in the tutorial, re-stomped, and finally won a little match... without being sure of what I did well ^^
Very drowned in the possibilities and a little annoyed by the randomness of some elements. I'm sure that a good player can overcome it, but when the little me struggling with the rules find sectors after sectors after sectors without an orange planet, it is a little frustrating.

Totems - a little game that I picked on pocketactics note alone, cheap enough to not think about it twice. Just played the short tutorial but it seems fun, almost insulting in its simplicity, but I assume games vs humans might be another matter entirely.

eznark

Banned
I really do not like that game. The flow feels all kinds of strange. Seems like it'd be a dope game in person, or maybe I just don't get it.

So... Uh... I beat eznark in our Nightfall tourney match 20-1 :lol
I sent you the invite for our Nightfall tourney match/final, Ray!

Nightfall is such a skill game that its pretty funny seeing the scores of people who know what they are doing vs people that are new.

I look forward to our match Smiley! We both understand how it works, so it should be a fun game, as long as the Draft and Archive are a decent batch.

I really do not like that game. The flow feels all kinds of strange. Seems like it'd be a dope game in person, or maybe I just don't get it.

Nightfall is really weird, its a shitty game when you dont know what you are doing, but its extremely skill, or at least knowledge based, so knowing what to get plays a HUGE part in it. I wont ever argue that its the best card game out there, but its definitely a fun and interesting game when you know what your doing.

Since me and Smiley have actually played a decent number of Nightfall matches our match should be pretty good, because we will HAVE to chain off each other to make it work, where as if im playing against someone who has no clue, I can just focus on getting 2 card that will chain together. It not always a knock out win, but you can pretty easily win like that. I played virtually the same way vs Merc and Heel, but because of the types of cards they both played it made the wins look a lot different, but I can say without a doubt I was pretty damn sure I would win both of those matches after the first round of pickups.

Anyway! you and Heel need to play for 3rd place as well, hopefully you enjoy that matchup more!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Nightfall is such a skill game that its pretty funny seeing the scores of people who know what they are doing vs people that are new.

I look forward to our match Smiley! We both understand how it works, so it should be a fun game, as long as the Draft and Archive are a decent batch.

Nightfall is really weird, its a shitty game when you dont know what you are doing, but its extremely skill, or at least knowledge based, so knowing what to get plays a HUGE part in it. I wont ever argue that its the best card game out there, but its definitely a fun and interesting game when you know what your doing.

Since me and Smiley have actually played a decent number of Nightfall matches our match should be pretty good, because we will HAVE to chain off each other to make it work, where as if im playing against someone who has no clue, I can just focus on getting 2 card that will chain together. It not always a knock out win, but you can pretty easily win like that. I played virtually the same way vs Merc and Heel, but because of the types of cards they both played it made the wins look a lot different, but I can say without a doubt I was pretty damn sure I would win both of those matches after the first round of pickups.

Anyway! you and Heel need to play for 3rd place as well, hopefully you enjoy that matchup more!

I agree, Nightfall is a lot of knowing the cards. I was very surprised by your draft, too, the cards you chose were by far not the best ones available, and then you didn't use any of them later, either... I'll write it down as a win by experience.

Now the final is the long-lasting Nightfall rivalry between Ray and me in a tourney, haha. Not bad.

I agree, Nightfall is a lot of knowing the cards. I was very surprised by your draft, too, the cards you chose were by far not the best ones available, and then you didn't use any of them later, either... I'll write it down as a win by experience.

Now the final is the long-lasting Nightfall rivalry between Ray and me in a tourney, haha. Not bad.

Haha yeah, it should be fun. I hope this fuck up I just made on the first fuckong chain doesn't cause me issues in the end. Haha.

Top Bottom