• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Aaaaand they did it! So we have another TCG (only an MMO TCG, fun idea) coming to iOS through kickstarter, after SolForge. Not sure if anybody else here has pledged/is interested, but I feel like it was worth sharing haha.

Also, is it bad that I'm contemplating buying an iPad on top of my Nexus 7, just because I want to play more boardgames (like Eclipse -grrrr-) with you guys? :(

HEX looks really cool. Along with Scrolls, and Magic 2014 having the ability to play Sealed I'm looking forward to giving all this card game stuff a try.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
HEX looks really cool. Along with Scrolls, and Magic 2014 having the ability to play Sealed I'm looking forward to giving all this card game stuff a try.

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. That's pretty damn awesome. I'll probably get Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 for Steam anyway, do you happen to know if it's cross-play? Or only PC vs PC/iOS vs iOS?

(or is that Campaign only for iOS anyway? I had heard that Magic 2014 would have an actually functional deck manager for PC too, though)

Heel

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. That's pretty damn awesome. I'll probably get Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 for Steam anyway, do you happen to know if it's cross-play? Or only PC vs PC/iOS vs iOS?

(or is that Campaign only for iOS anyway? I had heard that Magic 2014 would have an actually functional deck manager for PC too, though)

Not sure on cross-play.

"You can also use your Sealed Decks to play against other players." Not sure if this means you can carry your deck over to online matches or actually play a sealed pool online.

I know very little about Magic in general, but I've been watching MTGO streams on Twitch to soak in how to play the game effectively. I think the best part is watching a deck come together in draft and sealed, so definitely looking forward to giving it a try in 2014 on iOS and learn the ropes a bit.

Smiley90

Not sure on cross-play.

"You can also use your Sealed Decks to play against other players." Not sure if this means you can carry your deck over to online matches or actually play a sealed pool online.

Not a Magic expert by any means, but I've been watching MTGO streams on Twitch to soak in how to play the game effectively. I think the best part is watching a deck come together in draft and sealed, so definitely looking forward to giving it a try in 2014 on iOS and learn the ropes a bit.

I know the game itself (and MTGO, for that matter), but I'm not in the loop as for what's been happening with the game/Duels of the Planeswalker. Stopped playing like 2 years ago. I'm excited for a good Duels game with deckbuilding though. MTGO is very... competitive and not as much "fun" as Duels is, with the simplified interface and all. MTGO with the Duels interface would be heaven.

Heel

Haha, well hurry up and finish so I can close up that Tournament :p

Not sure how to properly set up a tournament rules match. Eznark?

I know the game itself (and MTGO, for that matter), but I'm not in the loop as for what's been happening with the game/Duels of the Planeswalker. Stopped playing like 2 years ago. I'm excited for a good Duels game with deckbuilding though. MTGO is very... competitive and not as much "fun" as Duels is, with the simplified interface and all. MTGO with the Duels interface would be heaven.

Yeah, I could be wrong but MTGO just seems like a really bad way to start learning Magic for someone like me who has never played. Even after watching for hours, the order of executing a turn effectively just seems really daunting to be putting money in right off the bat. Do they give you free cards, tournament entries, anything?

Hopefully Duels turns into an effective learning tool for the real formats. Introducing sealed an actual deck building in Duels seems like a really good step.

Smiley90

Yeah, I could be wrong but MTGO just seems like a really bad way to start learning Magic for someone like me who has never played. Even after watching for hours, the order of executing a turn effectively just seems really daunting to be putting money in right off the bat. Do they give you free cards, tournament entries, anything?

Hopefully Duels turns into an effective learning tool for the real formats. Introducing sealed an actual deck building in Duels seems like a really good step.

You are sooo right. MTGO is terrible for learning how to play Magic. Duels is MUCH better. Heck, even the current Duels games are really great for getting a feel for the game and the keywords. But MTGO is a clusterfuck in terms of interface. It takes you more time to learn the interface then the actual game. Also, you can't really "enjoy" games as much, because if you take too long to think your opponents will brutally flame you. :lol It's a lot faster though, so that's a plus I guess.

I still play Duels sometimes for kicks, don't have the energy to get back into MTGO. The lack of proper deck building/boosters is a pretty big hurdle for longevity of the games though, as it gets quite repetitive. Deck building is soooooo much fun in MTGO. -nostalgia-

- Make it show the stack of cards and not the lightning bolt
- Make the Eye open with blood dripping out
select card sets
- Only have the N deck on
- turn off the 3 cards on the right side (so now the N deck shows 3 orange circles instead of green)

Done!

Heel

You are sooo right. MTGO is terrible for learning how to play Magic. Duels is MUCH better. Heck, even the current Duels games are really great for getting a feel for the game and the keywords. But MTGO is a clusterfuck in terms of interface. It takes you more time to learn the interface then the actual game. Also, you can't really "enjoy" games as much, because if you take too long to think your opponents will brutally flame you. :lol It's a lot faster though, so that's a plus I guess.

I still play Duels sometimes for kicks, don't have the energy to get back into MTGO. The lack of proper deck building/boosters is a pretty big hurdle for longevity of the games though, as it gets quite repetitive. Deck building is soooooo much fun in MTGO. -nostalgia-

Yeah, learning the keyword mechanics while watching Twitch has really made me interested in the game. Extort, bloodrush, vigilance and all that jazz. Will be really cool to use all of that to work out a strategy with a deck you've built. Tried the current Duels, but it really didn't seem to have that key element.

- Make it show the stack of cards and not the lightning bolt
- Make the Eye open with blood dripping out
select card sets
- Only have the N deck on
- turn off the 3 cards on the right side (so now the N deck shows 3 orange circles instead of green)

Done!

Thanks Ray. If you have to tell someone "Make the Eye open with blood dripping out" your game just might have bad UI...lol

Yeah, learning the keyword mechanics while watching Twitch has really made me interested in the game. Extort, bloodrush, vigilance and all that jazz. Will be really cool to use all of that to work out a strategy with a deck you've built. Tried the current Duels, but it really didn't seem to have that key element.

Thanks Ray. If you have to tell someone "Make the Eye open with blood dripping out" your game just might have bad UI...lol

While typing that, I was thinking to myself how fucking stupid the whole UI and more specifically the theme of Nightfall is.

I really hate the theme of Nightfall, it's really lame, but fuck I enjoy the game.

Especially when I can come back from an 11 - 0 wounds deficit against Smiley and win 18 - 11. Mwahaha!
You were crushing me all game Smiley, it's great to play against someone so good at the game, I haven't had such good matches since I used to play Astro all the time.

Smiley90

While typing that, I was thinking to myself how fucking stupid the whole UI and more specifically the theme of Nightfall is.

I really hate the theme of Nightfall, it's really lame, but fuck I enjoy the game.

Especially when I can come back from an 11 - 0 wounds deficit against Smiley and win 18 - 11. Mwahaha!
You were crushing me all game Smiley, it's great to play against someone so good at the game, I haven't had such good matches since I used to play Astro all the time.

haha yeah that was a weird game. I was dominating the entire game except the very last round, where you inflicted like 15 wounds at once. Bad luck on my part and good luck on yours coming together in one hand results in that. Oh well. :D Definitely an entertaining game though.

haha yeah that was a weird game. I was dominating the entire game except the very last round, where you inflicted like 15 wounds at once. Bad luck on my part and good luck on yours coming together in one hand results in that. Oh well. :D Definitely an entertaining game though.

Yeah, you were seriously crushing me. You do some early game stuff that's really interesting to me, and it's something I need to learn how to do. Haha.

Fun times for sure.

Say what now? :lol

You've done it in both games, I guess it's unintentional. You've been picking up something that would chain off a yellow or blue, which are typically the second and third round chains, so I would drop 1/2 basic blues, and you would chain onto it with a blue that would chain into 2 purples, which would do a pretty huge amount of damage to my extremely small defence.

Its given you about 5ish damage on me REALLY early in the match that have been hard for me to claw out of.

Smiley90

You've done it in both games, I guess it's unintentional. You've been picking up something that would chain off a yellow or blue, which are typically the second and third round chains, so I would drop 1/2 basic blues, and you would chain onto it with a blue that would chain into 2 purples, which would do a pretty huge amount of damage to my extremely small defence.

Its given you about 5ish damage on me REALLY early in the match that have been hard for me to claw out of.

aaaah. I'm not sure I'm doing that on purpose or subconsciously. I got lucky this game with my start though, being able to have both same-coloured starters in your hand (double-green and then double-yellow) is very helpful early on. I hate it when you have only one of each in your hand and can't do anything good with it :lol I realized doing red or green are the only useful ones to do then. Green because your opponent gets nothing out of chaining his own green, and red because even if your opponent chains 1 (or even 2) reds, he'll be left without any units too. (you kill one of his reds, and if he plays 2 reds he has to kill one of his own)

aaaah. I'm not sure I'm doing that on purpose or subconsciously. I got lucky this game with my start though, being able to have both same-coloured starters in your hand (double-green and then double-yellow) is very helpful early on. I hate it when you have only one of each in your hand and can't do anything good with it :lol I realized doing red or green are the only useful ones to do then. Green because your opponent gets nothing out of chaining his own green, and red because even if your opponent chains 1 (or even 2) reds, he'll be left without any units too. (you kill one of his reds, and if he plays 2 reds he has to kill one of his own)

I've been getting pretty horrible starts to my hands lately. But it's always something you can play out of.

The red cards are always the ones I slap out quick and then go oh shit I fucked up. Haha.

Smiley90

Goddamnit I know that feeling. Immediately after ending my chain in green I was like "I've mad a huge mistake".

Goddamnit I know that feeling. Immediately after ending my chain in green I was like "I've mad a huge mistake".

Yeah, there is a lot of that. I enjoy this stupid mind game chess match thing we have going on right now. Me and astro at one point went about 8 rounds before someone started a chain once.

I think I lost every time we ended up doing that though, so maybe I should start something before you get a perfect hand. Haha.

Smiley90

Yeah, there is a lot of that. I enjoy this stupid mind game chess match thing we have going on right now. Me and astro at one point went about 8 rounds before someone started a chain once.

I think I lost every time we ended up doing that though, so maybe I should start something before you get a perfect hand. Haha.

haha I was like "I'm not going to start a chain with just 1". Then "does he have any card that might start a chain with yellow?". Checked to see if there are any yellow cards in the archive, and there are none. Only 1 in your personal archive and you didn't claim it. So I figured worst case, you get another yellow starter out of my short chain. Minimal risk. I think my games through. ;) (sometimes. :p)

EDIT: That was a pretty amazing kicker with the Vulko right there, not bad :lol

haha I was like "I'm not going to start a chain with just 1". Then "does he have any card that might start a chain with yellow?". Checked to see if there are any yellow cards in the archive, and there are none. Only 1 in your personal archive and you didn't claim it. So I figured worst case, you get another yellow starter out of my short chain. Minimal risk. I think my games through. ;) (sometimes. :p)

EDIT: That was a pretty amazing kicker with the Vulko right there, not bad :lol

Yeah there is so much archive checking and head math going on right now it's insane. Haha.

I tried to cover my bases on things you would end on that I could chain off of into what I want to do, I hadn't gotten around to yellow, but ys not sown thing that I should really need anyway, since all of that stuff will probably chain off of something else I should have. Haha.

MATH!

Smiley90

I think the one thing this page shows is that Playdek games desperately need chat.

... Do you have steam? I feel bad for shitting up this thread so much :lol

I think the one thing this page shows is that Playdek games desperately need chat.

... Do you have steam? I feel bad for shitting up this thread so much :lol

Do I have steam... Hahaha. Your hilarious.

I need to fucking sleep man! Plus this thread is for chatting about the games we are playing so its fine.

Just FYI, I REALLY didn't want to do the chain I just did, and I say that without knowing what you have added on to it yet. I'm scared to open the app now :(

Smiley90

Do I have steam... Hahaha. Your hilarious.

I need to fucking sleep man! Plus this thread is for chatting about the games we are playing so its fine.

Just FYI, I REALLY didn't want to do the chain I just did, and I say that without knowing what you have added on to it yet. I'm scared to open the app now :(

Haha you are rightfully scared. You should've known I have the same cards as you. I played a couple of the same cards that you started the chain with, kept the pattern going :lol I have 15 damage lined up, have fun.

What's wrong with steam. I'm on my laptop while playing on my phone :lol

Haha you are rightfully scared. You should've known I have the same cards as you. I played a couple of the same cards that you started the chain with, kept the pattern going :lol I have 15 damage lined up, have fun.

What's wrong with steam. I'm on my laptop while playing on my phone :lol

Fuuuck I don't want to look man!

I had to play something or I would have just eaten all that damage, I had to hope you didn't have a great chain in your hand :(

Nothing wrong with steam, steam is amazing. Just a stupid question to ask if I would have Steam.

Smiley90

Fuuuck I don't want to look man!

I had to play something or I would have just eaten all that damage, I had to hope you didn't have a great chain in your hand :(

Nothing wrong with steam, steam is amazing. Just a stupid question to ask if I would have Steam.

Well you didn't answer so screw you :p

EDIT: :lol just saw your steam invite :lol

We can shit up our own OT in community! It's why we're in OT!

Steam: tm24!

See, tm knows how it works! You post your steam nick in response! :D also okay, I'll keep shitting this up to avoid any Eclipse talk and ensuing jealousy on my end. :p

We can shit up our own OT in community! It's why we're in OT!

Steam: tm24!

EXACTLY! Plus were on topic anyway, so this is where our stupid back and forth chat SHOULD go. Hah.

Edit: sorry smiley, I thought you would be smart enough to search for RaySpencer on steam :p

You made me do a bunch of stupid stuff on my phone since the steam app doesn't let me do everything. :(

Great game Smiley. You won the secret best of 3 tournament as well! :p

You had such an awesome set of diverse cards. I wish I could have banished 2 cards from that initial set, I had to choose between giving you Zacharias Sands and Death Grip and no fucking way was I gonna give you death grip. Haha.

Good Nightfall games are fucking top tier fun.

Smiley90

Great game Smiley. You won the secret best of 3 tournament as well! :p

You had such an awesome set of diverse cards. I wish I could have banished 2 cards from that initial set, I had to choose between giving you Zacharias Sands and Death Grip and no fucking way was I gonna give you death grip. Haha.

Good Nightfall games are fucking top tier fun.

:p So that's what it was? :D Yeah I try to get a bit of everything. Something that connects the green/blue/grey vulko-combo to the red/yellow combo of.. whatever that other guy's name is. gg! :D

:p So that's what it was? :D Yeah I try to get a bit of everything. Something that connects the green/blue/grey vulko-combo to the red/yellow combo of.. whatever that other guy's name is. gg! :D

Yeah, I don't think I had another good combo I could have tried to get, but I might have just been so focused on getting as many Vulkos out as possible, haha. I had to bloat my deck trying to fend off your crazy deck.

I knew if I could beat you 2/3 times I could bug you about how you always complain about tournament finals not being best of 3, but I failed so I can't rub it in :(

Oh well! Best of 5 now! :p
Then best of 7! Haha.

Li Kao

Hmm, is Operation: Eradicate good ? Are there people still playing it ?
I'm not obsessed with IPs, but really dislike those sort of rip-off. Still, Pandemic is nowhere to be seen and I'm tired of waiting. Has there been talks of an iOS version to go with the new version of the boardgame ?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm not obsessed with IPs, but really dislike those sort of rip-off. Still, Pandemic is nowhere to be seen and I'm tired of waiting. Has there been talks of an iOS version to go with the new version of the boardgame ?

No it's pretty bad actually. :/

No it's pretty bad actually. :/

Yeah, its really too bad too.

It almost does a decent Pandemic rip-off, but the actual UI and stuff is horrible.

Exactly. Gameplay is more than fine, and even theme. But UX and features are HORRIBLE.

Basically unplayable, and the added fun of the game just ending without any warning was always fun...haha.

Oh!

I asked BDC on the tweeter about Eclipse getting a longer inactive time before the game just deletes, and they told me its already almost a week (my guess is probably 5 days?) so that means Beep Boop was probably inactive BEFORE that long weekend you Americans had, so that still sucks, but it looks like it could have been avoided.

Slacker

Elder Sign update today:

- Free Ancient One! (Hastur)
- The Dark Pharaoh campaign (IAP)
- Reorganized Main Menu
- Bug Fixes & Optimizations

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Elder Sign update today:

- Free Ancient One! (Hastur)
- The Dark Pharaoh campaign (IAP)
- Reorganized Main Menu
- Bug Fixes & Optimizations

Saw this. Need to get back into the app as it's quite fun. Definitely getting the IAP after how awesome(ly difficult) the last one was. I'm actually getting the tabletop version and the first expansion after enjoying the app so much, a la Summoner Wars.

Slacker

Saw this. Need to get back into the app as it's quite fun. Definitely getting the IAP after how awesome(ly difficult) the last one was. I'm actually getting the tabletop version and the first expansion after enjoying the app so much, a la Summoner Wars.

Same thing I did with NS Hex. Going to be hosting a 2v2 game night this weekend. :D

Edit: Was hoping to post how much the DLC costs in Elder Sign but I can't seem to get to it. Says the connection failed.

Smiley90

3uo6mp.jpg

TL;DR Sign me up for the tourney blablabla. I'll lose, but w/e.

What other iPad-only games do I need? Titan&Small World I remember, what else?

Nice Smiley!

Titan HD I still think is fun, but its notifications dont work so well, so Ive never gotten to play a game for too long.

Small World is pretty basic right now, but Small World 2 should be out soon I think.

Other than Eclipse I dont think there is any online board games that are iPad only though. The thing you should really focus on, is stuff like SW, Nightfall, Ascension, Penny Arcade, are all now playable without clicking on cards to read them! WOO!

Offline stuff though:

- Ghost Stories is fun
- Alien Frontiers is pretty cool
- Scotland Yard I havent really played but it seems alright (its actually online too, haha whoops!)
- Elder Signs ive heard good things about.

Fuck all that though, just play Eclipse and enjoy being able to read all the playdek games.

Smiley90

Nice Smiley!

Titan HD I still think is fun, but its notifications dont work so well, so Ive never gotten to play a game for too long.

Small World is pretty basic right now, but Small World 2 should be out soon I think.

Other than Eclipse I dont think there is any online board games that are iPad only though. The thing you should really focus on, is stuff like SW, Nightfall, Ascension, Penny Arcade, are all now playable without clicking on cards to read them! WOO!

Offline stuff though:

- Ghost Stories is fun
- Alien Frontiers is pretty cool
- Scotland Yard I havent really played but it seems alright (its actually online too, haha whoops!)
- Elder Signs ive heard good things about.

Fuck all that though, just play Eclipse and enjoy being able to read all the playdek games.

GAME CHANGER

How is... oh god I forgot the name. The one with dinosaurs. Pulling a blank here. 2 words. DOMINANT SPECIES. right. Isn't there an iOS version of that, too?

GAME CHANGER

How is... oh god I forgot the name. The one with dinosaurs. Pulling a blank here. 2 words. DOMINANT SPECIES. right. Isn't there an iOS version of that, too?

Sure, I dunno. Never played it, haha. I probably heard it wasnt great so I didnt bother. Kingdom Builder is a board game too I think. I dled that 'lite' version of that, but havent tried it yet.

Hurry up and create an account in Eclipse! I got a 4 player game waitin for ya.

EDIT: NOOOO SLACKER!!!! All up on the GCDS in the GAFfuffle game. I wanted that :(

Smiley90

Sure, I dunno. Never played it, haha. I probably heard it wasnt great so I didnt bother. Kingdom Builder is a board game too I think. I dled that 'lite' version of that, but havent tried it yet.

Hurry up and create an account in Eclipse! I got a 4 player game waitin for ya.

EDIT: NOOOO SLACKER!!!! All up on the GCDS in the GAFfuffle game. I wanted that :(

It's downloading a bunch of apps that I needed right now, and I can't change the order :lol I'll let you know. Kingdom Builder is a pretty great boardgame actually, not sure how the app is though?

It's downloading a bunch of apps that I needed right now, and I can't change the order :lol I'll let you know. Kingdom Builder is a pretty great boardgame actually, not sure how the app is though?

Ive heard the game is pretty good, and I think the app is supposed to be decent, Ive just never gotten around to it, haha.

First app should have been Eclipse though man, priorities!!

Top Bottom