• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ive heard the game is pretty good, and I think the app is supposed to be decent, Ive just never gotten around to it, haha.

First app should have been Eclipse though man, priorities!!

First app was Calculator. Why does the iPad not come with a Calculator pre-isntalled, but with like 5 news/books apps that I'll never ever use?

Li Kao

Hey Smiley, don't go and steal my title of best loser. Joking aside, if you there is a seat for me...
On another matter, I thought Eclipse while having a very good tutorial was complex. And then I just discovered Le Havre. I think I lost brain cells. I'm sure this is like Agricola a hard game to approach with rules only and so simple when you view a live game, only problem is I'm not sure I will find one in French. So much possibilities. And these workers are beast, they obliterate food like it's nothing.

Smiley90

Hey Smiley, don't go and steal my title of best loser. Joking aside, if you there is a seat for me...
On another matter, I thought Eclipse while having a very good tutorial was complex. And then I just discovered Le Havre. I think I lost brain cells. I'm sure this is like Agricola a hard game to approach with rules only and so simple when you view a live game, only problem is I'm not sure I will find one in French. So much possibilities. And these workers are beast, they obliterate food like it's nothing.

... I played Le Havre on my iPhone. Your argument is invalid.

... I played Le Havre on my iPhone. Your argument is invalid.

I actually have played most of my Le Havre games on my phone, but its another one that definitely benefits being played on an iPad.

I think Le Havre is really easy to learn actually, because you can just use the question mark helper, it just tells every turn what would be something worth doing. Its a pretty easy crutch to lean on though, haha. I know Ive phoned in a couple games with it, dont think I won them, but I wasnt last. haha. :(

Heel

I dunno about iPad only, but playing Carcassonne on a retina iPad screen will make you feel like you made a great purchase. So good.

I actually have played most of my Le Havre games on my phone, but its another one that definitely benefits being played on an iPad.

I think Le Havre is really easy to learn actually, because you can just use the question mark helper, it just tells every turn what would be something worth doing. Its a pretty easy crutch to lean on though, haha. I know Ive phoned in a couple games with it, dont think I won them, but I wasnt last. haha. :(

I did this too. After a while you should be able to spot better moves. I've only got an iPhone but it is playable. The approach Playdek are taking with Agricola looks better. They aren't trying to fit 120 different things on the screen at one time.

Scotland Yard looks like it should be fun but it is live games only. Switch away from the app and it nukes the game. Very poor.

There's an AI/pass and play version of Survive on the AppStore, there's a link on the BGG IOS page.

I did this too. After a while you should be able to spot better moves. I've only got an iPhone but it is playable. The approach Playdek are taking with Agricola looks better. They aren't trying to fit 120 different things on the screen at one time.

Scotland Yard looks like it should be fun but it is live games only. Switch away from the app and it nukes the game. Very poor.

There's an AI/pass and play version of Survive on the AppStore, there's a link on the BGG IOS page.

Yeah, I know how to play Le Havre now, I've played enough games legitimately and I won when me and my friends played the actual board game, it's still really easy to just hit the '?' Hahah.

Yeah live games suck, if only because I want to close my iPad, or open something else on it and then it's gone like you said. Scotland Yard is still installed though, so I will give it a shot at some point. I did enjoy it against the AI haha.

I don't know what Survive is, I will check it out.

Nightfall final is now a best of 5 between me and Smiley and I won.

So I will be changing the tournament results to show that I'm clearly the greatest of all time.

Better luck next year Smiley!

Smiley90

Nightfall final is now a best of 5 between me and Smiley and I won.

So I will be changing the tournament results to show that I'm clearly the greatest of all time.

Better luck next year Smiley!

LOL Nice try. I won the best of 1 and best of 3. :lol

eznark

Banned
Does dominant species have online play? I've heard nothing about great things about the game itself, not sure about the iOS version. I guess I do own it though!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Does dominant species have online play? I've heard nothing about great things about the game itself, not sure about the iOS version. I guess I do own it though!

The boardgame is awesome, the app has had mixed reviews:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/11/09/is-dominant-species-on-the-ipad-smart-enough-to-survive/

The main drawback with the design — and, really, is this a drawback? — is that Dominant Species isn’t easy to appreciate until you’ve played it a few times. And that’s where the iPad port is a valuable tool on the way to the tabletop version. What an ideal way to do an end run around the learning curve. This is one of those rare boardgame ports that presents all the necessary information neatly and cleanly, with comprehensive documentation accessible from any point in the game by tapping on the relevant part of the board. As a tutorial for how to play, as an introduction to the design, as a gateway to the brilliance of its design, or even as a reference tool, Dominant Species on the iPad is a five-star effort.

Unfortunately, Dominant Species on the iPad is little else. You can’t take up the slack for the miserable AI by playing multiplayer, because there is no online multiplayer support, asynchronous or otherwise. You can play locally on a single iPad, as there’s no hidden information. But clustering around an iPad is a poor substitute for breaking out the actual game
. I guess you did save $50. But given how many boardgame ports actually go through the trouble of providing a competent AI, Dominant Species simply can’t compete.

2 stars

Heel

Glad I decided to get back into Carc and put some games together. Getting in some awesome T&B games with blahness and gamecocks. Lots of giant city and field battles.

Game 1
johafl9Rkv6cD.jpg

Game 2

Smiley90

So I've been playing Small World on my iPad all day so far. Zomfg so good. And they're updating it to the kickstarter version that'll have online async play too, right? This is going to be so amazingly good with async multiplayer... it's already amazing for singleplayer. Needs a couple different bots, though.

CzarTim

So I've been playing Small World on my iPad all day so far. Zomfg so good. And they're updating it to the kickstarter version that'll have online async play too, right? This is going to be so amazingly good with async multiplayer... it's already amazing for singleplayer. Needs a couple different bots, though.

Yep, yep, and yep!

Smiley90

This sucks! I keep beating Smiley, but he won that stupid first match that actually won him the tournament. Haha.

Technically I also won 2 of the first 3. Suck ittttttt.

Also, take your Eclipse turns, not just your Nightfall turns! I'll lose that first match anyway, didn't realize I needed to have influence to claim the discovery award. woops. I'm kind of getting the hang of the game in AI matches though. Won one, for what it's worth! :p

Yep, yep, and yep!

Nicholsonyes.gif

Technically I also won 2 of the first 3. Suck ittttttt.

Also, take your Eclipse turns, not just your Nightfall turns! I'll lose that first match anyway, didn't realize I needed to have influence to claim the discovery award. woops. I'm kind of getting the hang of the game in AI matches though. Won one, for what it's worth! :p

Nicholsonyes.gif

Yeah you won game 1 and 3. The 2 most important games. But now I'm 4 in a row!!

iPad is at home. I'm playing actual board games at my friends house.

Smiley90

Yeah you won game 1 and 3. The 2 most important games. But now I'm 4 in a row!!

iPad is at home. I'm playing actual board games at my friends house.

aaaah. :p Same reason I probably won't be able to take many turns during the day - Only access to my phone when working :D

Smiley90

Whoa, Totems has actual online multiplayer with ELO ratings. I am mightily impressed. Seems like fun and really quick, while maintaining strategy. If anyone else owns it, let me know and we'll get some games going. It's only 2.99, anyway. There are "only" 4 different maps so I'm not sure how fast there starts to be a clear pattern for each map, but in theory there shouldn't be much repetition...

Li Kao

Whoa, Totems has actual online multiplayer with ELO ratings. I am mightily impressed. Seems like fun and really quick, while maintaining strategy. If anyone else owns it, let me know and we'll get some games going. It's only 2.99, anyway. There are "only" 4 different maps so I'm not sure how fast there starts to be a clear pattern for each map, but in theory there shouldn't be much repetition...

Yup, my first impression was good too. Then i began to lose brain cells again. I don't know why I keep playing boardgames lol, maybe I should go back to Pay Day :-X
There are some bad design choice in the app imho though. For example the fact that when it's your turn in an online game, the board is 'as is', no little replay of the former player to keep things in perspective.
And about the game itself, I don't know, the fact that all the totems are not used give me a sens of randomness that I'm not sure I'm cool about. Nice game eh, I'm not saying it is bad.

Smiley90

Has anybody played Totems?

http://pockettactics.com/2013/03/29/review-totems/

Awesome review... seems like fun. I'll give it a try.

Any reviews I totem? I will pick it up if its decent.

like 5 posts above yours :lol Got 5/5 from PocketTactics, which is why I gave it a try to begin with. Games are quick enough to have them live and not async, so it's not as bad as it could be. Seems like fun for a few short games once in a while. Definitely not the depth/replayability of a Nightfall/Eclipse, but fun and quick.

like 5 posts above yours :lol Got 5/5 from PocketTactics, which is why I gave it a try to begin with. Games are quick enough to have them live and not async, so it's not as bad as it could be. Seems like fun for a few short games once in a while. Definitely not the depth/replayability of a Nightfall/Eclipse, but fun and quick.

Oh haha. I read your post where you talked about it, but not the one where you first mentioned it. Haha.

I will pick it up, but is it even a board game?

Smiley90

Oh haha. I read your post where you talked about it, but not the one where you first mentioned it. Haha.

I will pick it up, but is it even a board game?

kind of, the "take the entire adjacent area" concept is from boardgames. Don't remember which one off the top of my head, but it's one of those crazy old ones. Like the one in a square with black&white pieces that you can turn the other one's pieces. gah the name's on the tip of my tongue.

Li Kao

kind of, the "take the entire adjacent area" concept is from boardgames. Don't remember which one off the top of my head, but it's one of those crazy old ones. Like the one in a square with black&white pieces that you can turn the other one's pieces. gah the name's on the tip of my tongue.

Othello / Reversi ?

Smiley90

What app do you guys recommend for uploading pictures so I can put more of that shit in this thread?

NEEED MORE PICTURES!!!

imgur.com

By far the best.

Also works from your idevice straight up, which is double awesome.

Heel

Yeah, picup is great for imgur. Interfaces with Dropbox. I wish it gave you links to all the size options, though.

Smiley90

I've already lost my game with Ray, can we just restart it at this point, halfway through the second round? :lol

I've already lost my game with Ray, can we just restart it at this point, halfway through the second round? :lol

What? Naw thats hardly a losing position, you can fix that easy.

Dont forget about this stuff people!

*cough cough*

NeoGAF Nightfall Tournament 1

Link

- Seeds were shuffled.
- Base game only, No Martial Law, and no Promo Cards.
- Draft
- Show Wounds
- Single Match

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

Link

HERE ARE YOUR ARMY MATCHUPS

Round 3:

K - Moloch vs Borgo
L - Vegas vs NeoJungle
M - NeoJungle vs Borgo
N - Hegemony vs Smart
O - Borgo vs Hegemony

tm24

Awesome, thanks guys!

Good game too! I'm surprised I got second, since I was stuck in that corner. But then you guys let Astro do what ever he wanted even though he was building monoliths and had a huge amount of planets.

After that one fight with Trip went south, i had to retreat and play D. And i had to protect my borders so i couldn't advance and cause havoc with my roid destroyers

After that one fight with Trip went south, i had to retreat and play D. And i had to protect my borders so i couldn't advance and cause havoc with my roid destroyers

Yeah. You got shafted there but I was still sure you were going to keep coming at me, so I just went into a monolith building mode and tried to scrap as many points as I could. I didn't realize Astro had done the same until it was too late :(

I usually like to play an aggressive style game because it keeps things a little more interesting when everybody is fighting, but sometimes that just doesn't work!

I fucking love Eclipse.

Top Bottom