• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Hopefully they fixed the slowdown in singleplayer. Occasionally the CPU opponent will slow down to a crawl taking a turn.

PFD

Yeah, I've gotten screwed or almost screwed because of it a few times now. I just assumed like every other playdek game we play around here everything would be set to max time!

Oh, I wasn't aware you guys preferred max time. I've been going for 3-7 days usually in Ascension. Will make it longer from now on.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Made suuuuuch a stupid mistake on my turn with Ray in our NHex game. :( It was such an epic duel up to then lol.

Apparently!

I just reinstalled then restored all my purchases and I get the same message about needing an update.

So, is Agricola what all the kids are playing these days?

Agricola and Ascension!

Don't listen to Astro! What does HE know about board games.

Just play Eclipse on the iPad with the cool kids like me.

Oh, I wasn't aware you guys preferred max time. I've been going for 3-7 days usually in Ascension. Will make it longer from now on.

Max is always best, lots of us are slow... I mean busy with kids or work or something.

Made suuuuuch a stupid mistake on my turn with Ray in our NHex game. :( It was such an epic duel up to then lol.

Damn, that sucks. It's been crazy back and forth with both of us getting almost the perfect tiles everytime. Haha.

Smiley90

Damn, that sucks. It's been crazy back and forth with both of us getting almost the perfect tiles everytime. Haha.

I know right? We barely had any "bad" rounds lol. I totally misplayed that though, I did NOT realize my health tile was gonna die instead of the one placed on the mine. Destroyed my entire chain. My bad, definitely, but such is life. :D Definitely a fun game. I told you NeoJungle doesn't fare that badly against NY. :p

I know right? We barely had any "bad" rounds lol. I totally misplayed that though, I did NOT realize my health tile was gonna die instead of the one placed on the mine. Destroyed my entire chain. My bad, definitely, but such is life. :D Definitely a fun game. I told you NeoJungle doesn't fare that badly against NY. :p

Of course they can do good, they are a great army! You were implying they are an unbalanced counter pick :p

It was really awesome how I would get snipe shot to take out something you needed, and I would put up a good tile to get a better attack, then you would get a swap tile to move your HQ and then I would get bazooka to still hit your base. Haha. Crazy back and forth for like 4 rounds just around your HQ.

Smiley90

Of course they can do good, they are a great army! You were implying they are an unbalanced counter pick :p

It was really awesome how I would get snipe shot to take out something you needed, and I would put up a good tile to get a better attack, then you would get a swap tile to move your HQ and then I would get bazooka to still hit your base. Haha. Crazy back and forth for like 4 rounds just around your HQ.

That HQ move was the perfect tile for me to get in that scenario. I also got to do a pretty good place&swap with another increase-tile before, at the very top haha.

Well to be fair, NY is a very strong army. My point was that NeoJungle is one of the armies that does comparatively well against them, since players with NY usually turtle, and NeoJungle (in a 1on1) works well against turtling, since it benefits from a lot of space with all the combined power. :D

That HQ move was the perfect tile for me to get in that scenario. I also got to do a pretty good place&swap with another increase-tile before, at the very top haha.

Well to be fair, NY is a very strong army. My point was that NeoJungle is one of the armies that does comparatively well against them, since players with NY usually turtle, and NeoJungle (in a 1on1) works well against turtling, since it benefits from a lot of space with all the combined power. :D

Sure, but so does SMART with their 'shoot everything in a line' dudes. Or Borgo because is always good. Or Vegas who can take over one of there defence guys. Or outpost who are getting multiple attacks with lots of ranged dudes.

Most if not all the armies have good counters to the NY wall, it all depends on luck of the tiles and them how you use them. I think NJ is a good counter, but I don't think they are a better counter than any other army.

The only counter pick I think is a big one is Vegas vs Borgo. Haha.

Neuroshima Hex Tournament 3

RaySpencer
eznark
CzarTim
Smiley
Slacker
Mercviper
Superrobot
blahness
AstroLad
bonesquad
Flynn

Is that everyone?

I'm still torn on Swiss rules or round robin.

Any input??

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't listen to Astro! What does HE know about board games.

Just play Eclipse on the iPad with the cool kids like me.

Max is always best, lots of us are slow... I mean busy with kids or work or something.

Hey I play eclipse! But people are being super slow now. Think we even lost a couple games I feel.

Hey I play eclipse! But people are being super slow now. Think we even lost a couple games I feel.

Yup, Beep Beep Rises is gone again. I wish I knew why or who, so I could publicly flog them!

Time to post a new list of people who will actually play Eclipse maybe? I thought your list last time would have sorted this out, but its getting pretty annoying honestly. I can blame BDC as much as I want for not making it like PlayDek stuff, but that doesnt really solve the issue of people not taking their turns, it just starts removing them and putting in AI instead, which still sucks.

Smiley90

Yup, Beep Beep Rises is gone again. I wish I knew why or who, so I could publicly flog them!

Time to post a new list of people who will actually play Eclipse maybe? I thought your list last time would have sorted this out, but its getting pretty annoying honestly. I can blame BDC as much as I want for not making it like PlayDek stuff, but that doesnt really solve the issue of people not taking their turns, it just starts removing them and putting in AI instead, which still sucks.

I'm in 2 games of Eclipse right now... In both games I'm doing terribly. One game because I was a noob and had no idea what I was doing, and in the other because I for the the love of god won't get any money-planets.

I'm in 2 games of Eclipse right now... In both games I'm doing terribly. One game because I was a noob and had no idea what I was doing, and in the other because I for the the love of god won't get any money-planets.

The one where you're playing as the Orange Terran is going alright for you I think, time to start attacking people and showing the power of mass missiles! Were already going to fight in the centre now, and if you win you should push into someones territory and take some more systems.

Smiley90

The one where you're playing as the Orange Terran is going alright for you I think, time to start attacking people and showing the power of mass missiles! Were already going to fight in the centre now, and if you win you should push into someones territory and take some more systems.

That one's weird, because I was doing really badly or so I thought. Then I look at my ships and my board now and I'm like "hey, it's not all that bad". :lol I reached the point where I figured I'd just have to do SOMETHING as I was losing anyway.

That one's weird, because I was doing really badly or so I thought. Then I look at my ships and my board now and I'm like "hey, it's not all that bad". :lol I reached the point where I figured I'd just have to do SOMETHING as I was losing anyway.

There is still 2 rounds left and the rest of the one we are on if I remember correctly, which is a fuckload of time to come back in. Dont forget taking systems from people takes away just as many points as it gives to you, and more battles means more chances to get 4VP tokens.

PFD

I feel that Eclipse async only works well when all players are online, because sometimes you wait 8-24 hours for a turn and then all you do is pass. There isn't always much to do.

The game I'm in has been going for 2 weeks I think, and still only in round 5. I've also had a couple occasions where the game wouldn't give me a notification during my turn, and I would find out it's my turn by logging in randomly to the game. Dunno if this memory related or something, gonna try to reinstall.

You could do 2 groups of 6, top 3 go through.
Maybe 2 best 'losers' also go through.
That gets you down to 8 with everyone having had 5 matches.
Then another set of groups or knockout after that.

I know the army selection adds more complication.

Slacker

Nope you can join in.

Hasn't started yet, still not sure what type of tourney I want it to be, and no one is helping with input :p
We all trust your NH wisdom. :)

Related: Going to play real life NS Hex tomorrow in 2v2 mode with some buddies. Looking forward to it.

You could do 2 groups of 6, top 3 go through.
Maybe 2 best 'losers' also go through.
That gets you down to 8 with everyone having had 5 matches.
Then another set of groups or knockout after that.

I know the army selection adds more complication.

We all trust your NH wisdom. :)

Related: Going to play real life NS Hex tomorrow in 2v2 mode with some buddies. Looking forward to it.

I'm too lazy to do groups, I just wanted to know if people liked how the first tourney went with round robin where you get all your matchups up front, or like the second one with Swiss rules where it decides who you should play next based on points.

Nope you can join in.

Hasn't started yet, still not sure what type of tourney I want it to be, and no one is helping with input :p
With at least 12 now, it seems a little big for round robin. I thought Swiss worked well last time, and the World Cup style we're doing in Ascension is fun too (w/ 12, 3 groups of 4, top 2 move on to knockout, best 2 getting first round byes.)

PFD

Since we were tied in honor, why did the game highlight you as winner? Is there some sort of a tie-breaker mechanic?

Heel

Since we were tied in honor, why did the game highlight you as winner? Is there some sort of a tie-breaker mechanic?

"If multiple players have the same number of Honor Points, the last player to start his first turn wins (i.e., the starting player loses all ties, the second player loses to the third and fourth, etc.)."

So whoever starts the game off first will lose a tie, which is randomly chosen by the game. Kind of lame seeing as everyone will get an equal amount of turns no matter what, but I guess there is a very small advantage for getting the first crack at buying something.

I want in!

I don't care if it messes up the brackets! :p

Wtf guys! Deadline was last night!!! I had it up for like 3 or 4 days!!

your in its fine :p

I think I'm going to Swiss rules, otherwise I will finish all my games in like 5 days and then have to wait 3 weeks for everyone else :p

I will pop it all in the system and get it set up tonight most likely.

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 3

Challonge Link
Google Spreadsheet - Army Tracker

Rules:
- Seeding based off of NH Finals 2 then Tournament 2 and then signup order
- Swiss rules!
- There will be a finals tourney for the top 4
- 10 Round to start, I may add more.
- There is 13 people, so every round someone will get a 'bye' they will just be rewarded with a win.

SUPER IMPORTANT, READ THIS SHIT!!!
- You MUST use every single army, and you may only use an army again once you have used every single army.
- You MUST report your army used in each match, I will keep track of them in a spreadsheet that only I can alter.
- If you cheat with your armies, its an automatic loss! :p
- Top invites bottom, Top gets first pick.

Participants by rank:

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
AstroLad | AstroLad
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
eznark | eznark
Mercviper | Mercviper
AirBrian | AirBrian
Slacker | Slacker
blahness | blahness
Squirrel Killer | squirrel_killer
Flynn | Triphibian
CzarTim | CzarTim
bonesquad | justjeff
superrobot | Diesel Pioneer

neogafboardgames-NeoGAFNeuroshimaHexTournament3.png

-------------------------------------------------------------

It should be good to go, any questions? Does my google spreadsheet link work?

Also, somehow I fucked up and did it under my name again (I honestly have no clue how I still do this, because I double check and set NeoGAF as the host every time now) , Ive moved it now, but the picture is the old link, I will update it as soon as I can, the current link is a 404 error. - Fixed now.

Thanks for checking it out, I dont usually use spreadsheets, but I might start now.

Special thanks to Heel for making the games spreadsheet in the OP, I used it to figure out how to add pictures :p

Smiley90

ALRIGHT TIME TO PLAY BORGO EVERY TIME

WAIT, THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS?

FUCK ME FOR COMING UP WITH THIS STUPID IDEA.

I kid, I really like my idea. :p

Also there's 10 rounds and 9 armies? that should work out pretty well, with only one army used twice?

Top Bottom