• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

CzarTim

03jDLWj.jpg

Thought you were purple!? eznark lied to me!! LIED!!!

Anyway, thanks for the score.

HERE COMES ROUND FOOOOOUURR!!

eznarks turn to sit out. Thats what you get for lying to me!

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 3

Challonge Link
Google Spreadsheet - Army Tracker

Rules:
- Seeding based off of NH Finals 2 then Tournament 2 and then signup order
- Swiss rules!
- There will be a finals tourney for the top 4
- 10 Round to start, I may add more.
- There is 13 people, so every round someone will get a 'bye' they will just be rewarded with a win.

SUPER IMPORTANT, READ THIS SHIT!!!
- You MUST use every single army, and you may only use an army again once you have used every single army.
- You MUST report your army used in each match, I will keep track of them in a spreadsheet that only I can alter.
- If you cheat with your armies, its an automatic loss! :p
- Top invites bottom, Top gets first pick.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's uncanny how similar ABHOTW is to SmallWorld. Although I think I like SmallWorld better, can't wait for that kickstarter-update to come through.

I have found that sometimes hitting the undo button a few times triggers the game to keep going. It seems to get hung up at times.
It's helped in another game. In this one I see mercviper's turn, then it just stops before it gets to tell me which empire I'm going to be.
Nothing on the screen works.
I've let Codito know.
They plan for an update in two weeks to pick up some of the other issues. There's someone from Codito is on the BGG page, getting constructive feedback :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's uncanny how similar ABHOTW is to SmallWorld. Although I think I like SmallWorld better, can't wait for that kickstarter-update to come through.

While I understand the tweaks they made from HOTW to ABHOTW to streamline the game and reduce playing time, there were some mechanics I liked a lot and preferred in the original.

The main one being that, while the person last in points still chooses first for empires each epoch, they get the choice of either keeping it OR handing it off to someone else. Everyone gets to draw a card, but if they already were given one they have to choose who gets the card they took. Adds another level of strategy and meta-game. There's still some nuance in the empire choosing in ABHOTW (going earlier but with a weaker empire may net you more points now, but may not be as good longer term in future epochs with a stronger empire later...vice-versa isn't always the case either depending on your current empire spread).

Also note that HOTW predates Small World by several years (I picked up my copy of the Avalon Hill remake of HOTW in 2001).

Magnus

Requesting recommendations! Got Catan and all its various expansions for iOS; best money I ever plunked down on a portable game. So fucking fun and my favourite way to eat time up on the commute.

More like this please! Online play not required, and ideally, I want something with robust single player (like Catan or better) since my commute's often by subway with no net connectivity.

Smiley90

Requesting recommendations! Got Catan and all its various expansions for iOS; best money I ever plunked down on a portable game. So fucking fun and my favourite way to eat time up on the commute.

More like this please! Online play not required, and ideally, I want something with robust single player (like Catan or better) since my commute's often by subway with no net connectivity.

Carcassonne
Summoner Wars
Neuroshima Hex
Eclipse (iPad only)
Nightfall
Agricola
Ascension
Lost Cities
Stone Age

In that order. have fun. :p

Re: recommendations

Carcassonne never goes on sale so if you want it get it now. The AIs are pretty mean on the Count and Countess levels. Plenty of opponents online if you want later.

I've been quacking on about A Brief History Of The World. It's cheap now and the AIs are beating me fairly consistently.

The Rivals of Catan is probably worth a look if you like Catan.

Agricola is probably worth a look too. It has a decent challenge with the AIs and a Solo series mode which builds on occupation choices made in previous rounds.

Lost Cities is by the same people behind Carcassonne and has built lots of achievements and challenges into the single player game.

Keep an eye out for sales and freebies for Ticket To Ride Pocket.

PFD

Check out Elder Sign: Omens. It's a fun little single player boardgame.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Great single-player experiences:
Elder Sign
Ghost Stories (do yourself a favor and play with four investigators, not a single one with the weird power-token rules)
Carc
Lost Cities

There are probably others but I don't play too much SP outside of Ghost Stories and Elder Sign. I'd pay good money for the Ghost Stories expansions as IAPs but I think they've stopped any development.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey Ray for the NH tournament, do you happen to be tracking our used armies anywhere? Otherwise I guess I'll just go back and search my posts. :p

Hey Ray for the NH tournament, do you happen to be tracking our used armies anywhere? Otherwise I guess I'll just go back and search my posts. :p

Read any of the updates and you should be able to figure this one out :p

Hint: it's even on this page! And perhaps right below the challonge link! :O

You're the best! Looking forward to you doing a Summoner Wars tournament. :D

Thanks man.

SW should be fun to set up and run. It'll probably look a lot like the NH ones. First one will be just play whatever, and see who wins. I kind of like how this latest NH one is working with everyone picking different armies, so I will probably do one like that in SW too, but I will wait and see what people like, and how long stuff takes and all that jazz.

We just need those new fucking SW armies already!!! I can only play FK so much, and Im horrible at everything else! haha. Im currently playing a REALLY aggressive style of Tundra Orc, its fun as hell, but its been really bad for me so far, haha. I probably shouldnt be playing like that against Tims Jungle Elves, it doesnt really work :p

Im also playing a Wall Crusher style Dwarf game, but TM is fucking me up in that game, haha.

Smiley90

Thanks man.

SW should be fun to set up and run. It'll probably look a lot like the NH ones. First one will be just play whatever, and see who wins. I kind of like how this latest NH one is working with everyone picking different armies, so I will probably do one like that in SW too, but I will wait and see what people like, and how long stuff takes and all that jazz.

We just need those new fucking SW armies already!!! I can only play FK so much, and Im horrible at everything else! haha. Im currently playing a REALLY aggressive style of Tundra Orc, its fun as hell, but its been really bad for me so far, haha. I probably shouldnt be playing like that against Tims Jungle Elves, it doesnt really work :p

Im also playing a Wall Crusher style Dwarf game, but TM is fucking me up in that game, haha.

Yeah... It's great... -shoots self-

CzarTim

You're going to win. My gorilla missed both attacks on the second roll, that was my last shot.

You're going to win. My gorilla missed both attacks on the second roll, that was my last shot.

I hope so!

Still though, rushing with my Summoner hasnt been working out as well as I had thought it would :p. I need to work on that strategy. TO Summoner has lots of HP and does a fuck load of damage, it should work out.....

edit: For the record, I think the Orcs are even beyond Borgo levels of bullshit most of the time. I hate playing them, even though I enjoy some of their units. Im just doing the rounds and trying to play all the armies again, see whats out there.

Smiley90

I hope so!

Still though, rushing with my Summoner hasnt been working out as well as I had thought it would :p. I need to work on that strategy. TO Summoner has lots of HP and does a fuck load of damage, it should work out.....

edit: For the record, I think the Orcs are even beyond Borgo levels of bullshit most of the time. I hate playing them, even though I enjoy some of their units. Im just doing the rounds and trying to play all the armies again, see whats out there.

Orcs are so OP because there's no counter atm (unlike Vegas for Borgo). Once the Master Set armies come out, it should level the field a bit I hope.

CzarTim

But I don't think you can see the opponent's army choice to counter-pick anyway.

I think Vanguard is a pretty good counter if you turtle properly. And Dwarves can take out all the three-health-walls easily.

Orcs are so OP because there's no counter atm (unlike Vegas for Borgo). Once the Master Set armies come out, it should level the field a bit I hope.

But I don't think you can see the opponent's army choice to counter-pick anyway.

I think Vanguard is a pretty good counter if you turtle properly. And Dwarves can take out all the three-health-walls easily.

There is counters, but still they are pretty bullshit with the move and attack dudes, extra walls, freezes, an amazing Summoner, etc.

I just hate losing to them when they just get like 3 or 4 attacks in a row, its crazy dice luck that I hate the most in any digital game, and the Orcs bring out the worst of it.

Yeah, if the extra attack thing only worked once per turn, it'd help.

Thats probably all I really need. That would be a great fix. Its not like I cant beat the Orcs anyway (though not as often as I would like, haha), but a lot of times I lose just from being hit by a 1 cost Fighter that moved 2 spots, hit a wall, moved 2 more, then hit my summoner 2 or 3 times...I mean wtf. Ive seriously had that happen to me at least 3 times.

Smiley90

Which Catan would be good for a newb?

There's only one Catan... Settlers and Rivals are 2 different games. Rivals is only 2p and basically a cardgame, while Settlers is the actual boardgame. They're both fairly simple to learn though, and I'd definitely recommend the "classic" Settlers first. Rivals is extremely fun too though - sadly, neither of them has decent multiplayer :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If we do pick though everyone will be incentivized to go for the top tier armies though. Or pick lesser armies for fun or because they know them better. I dunno; I really like the way NH tourney is set up now and don't think I'd want to go back to the old way.

Smiley90

If we do pick though everyone will be incentivized to go for the top tier armies though. Or pick lesser armies for fun or because they know them better. I dunno; I really like the way NH tourney is set up now and don't think I'd want to go back to the old way.

To avoid the "everyone picks fucking Borgo against me" disaster again, how about this:

Say, there are 9 signups and 8 teams in total, for simplicity's sake. So 8 matches, 8 teams.

Every team gets assigned a number (e.g. Orcs = 1, FK = 2, etc)

Then for every player, the order of numbers is randomized (e.g. 1, 8, 2, 4, 7, etc)

Then, the player matchups get randomized (Swiss rules or whatever we decide upon)

so every player will have his "personalized" schedule of teams against each other, and will HAVE to play every team once? But it makes the playing field more equal, since some players don't get unfairly targeted with strong/unfairly benefit from weak team choices.

e.g. Ray's schedule will be (1, 3, 5, 2, 4, etc), mine will be (2, 5, 1, 8, 3, etc)

So if we fight in Round 1 we'd have teams 1 vs 2, if we fight in round 2 we'd have teams 3 vs 5, etc.

... Does that make sense?

If the numbers of teams don't match the numbers of signups, we can just have it so that you'll play the first however-many teams in your "schedule".

So I just bought that Talisman Prologue game for 99 cents and I pick the Dwarf or whatever and the mission says GO TO THE WOODS AND FIGHT A GUY so I do and then the next mission says GO TO THE MAZE and I can't find the maze anywhere on the board and the game ain't helping me out.

And it's kind of dumb.

There's only one Catan... Settlers and Rivals are 2 different games. Rivals is only 2p and basically a cardgame, while Settlers is the actual boardgame. They're both fairly simple to learn though, and I'd definitely recommend the "classic" Settlers first. Rivals is extremely fun too though - sadly, neither of them has decent multiplayer :(

Thanks for this. I saw both in the app store, but didn't know which one to get.

I would be playing either by myself, or with this group, so that sucks about the multiplayer.

Yah, your right. I kind of like seeing what people like to play and how they play it though. But it's probably better to just jump right into a 'play everything' tournament.

To avoid the "everyone picks fucking Borgo against me" disaster again, how about this:

Say, there are 9 signups and 8 teams in total, for simplicity's sake. So 8 matches, 8 teams.

Every team gets assigned a number (e.g. Orcs = 1, FK = 2, etc)

Then for every player, the order of numbers is randomized (e.g. 1, 8, 2, 4, 7, etc)

Then, the player matchups get randomized (Swiss rules or whatever we decide upon)

so every player will have his "personalized" schedule of teams against each other, and will HAVE to play every team once? But it makes the playing field more equal, since some players don't get unfairly targeted with strong/unfairly benefit from weak team choices.

e.g. Ray's schedule will be (1, 3, 5, 2, 4, etc), mine will be (2, 5, 1, 8, 3, etc)

So if we fight in Round 1 we'd have teams 1 vs 2, if we fight in round 2 we'd have teams 3 vs 5, etc.

... Does that make sense?

If the numbers of teams don't match the numbers of signups, we can just have it so that you'll play the first however-many teams in your "schedule".

No. Too much work. I like people having some say in what the play.

tm24

Orcs have a counter, its the PE. Now,Dvarves on the other hand, fuck gror and his OPness. GDs are easily the most OP faction in SW right now until the master set is relased, since they have 2 of the most OP cards in the game. Once the master set is relased, then the Shadow Elves come in with some of their own not as OP but still kick your teeth in cards

Orcs have a counter, its the PE. Now,Dvarves on the other hand, fuck gror and his OPness. GDs are easily the most OP faction in SW right now until the master set is relased, since they have 2 of the most OP cards in the game. Once the master set is relased, then the Shadow Elves come in with some of their own not as OP but still kick your teeth in cards

Orcs are pretty bullshit too yeah. But their bullshit comes from Champions which are at least a little harder to get out, and it isnt a random thing. When Gror is out you know hes going to be wrecking shit all around him. So it sucks, and they are hard to play against, but at least you know when its going to happen, unlike the Orc Fighters.

I love the SW app, because all these stats are right there, you can see how all the armies rank and you can even see what armies have ranked up best against them, its really cool.

tm24

Orcs are pretty bullshit too yeah. But their bullshit comes from Champions which are at least a little harder to get out, and it isnt a random thing. When Gror is out you know hes going to be wrecking shit all around him. So it sucks, and they are hard to play against, but at least you know when its going to happen, unlike the Orc Fighters.

From my analysis, Krung and Rukar are the only strong champions, and PE has 4 champions equally strong. Ragnor and Bragg are TOs only other viable champions. PEs also have an advantage in that they also have their own stupid OP common in warriors. TOs have the Thwarter as their powerful common, but against the PEs his power drops considerably.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here are the tier rankings from BGG. Kind of proud that my main -- Cave Goblins -- are considered low tier.

High Tier:
1. Deep Dwarves
2. Guild Dwarves
3. Jungle Elves
4. Tundra Orcs
5. Sand Goblins
6. Phoenix Elves

Mid Tier:
7. Mountain Vargath
8. Mercenaries
9. Filth
10. Shadow Elves
11. Benders
12. Swamp Orcs

Low Tier:
13. Cave Goblins
14. Cloaks
15. Fallen Kingdom
16. Vanguards

mercviper

Here are the tier rankings from BGG. Kind of proud that my main -- Cave Goblins -- are considered low tier.

High Tier:
1. Deep Dwarves
2. Guild Dwarves
3. Jungle Elves
4. Tundra Orcs
5. Sand Goblins
6. Phoenix Elves

Mid Tier:
7. Mountain Vargath
8. Mercenaries
9. Filth
10. Shadow Elves