• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Agreed with Skeptic.

Also, good basic tip for the opening turns is knowing that if your starting hand has 5 points to spend, your next hand will have 3 (along with the 2 militia that complete your starting deck). If you start with 4, your next will have 4. Whatever cards you grab in the first two turns may possibly end up in your hand in the third.

The same applies to your opponent, so pay attention to what he could possibly be able (and not able) to grab on the starting board in his next turns.

Weigh all this information carefully and know what is and isn't possible. The opening sequence can really set the tone of the match if you get a good jump.

I think Stag is the right call in early game, no matter what you draw in rd 3, you are effectively getting a mystic there, or taking an early 2 honor. Its way more powerful at that point than drawing an extra apprentice or miltia.

mercviper

I think Stag is the right call in early game, no matter what you draw in rd 3, you are effectively getting a mystic there, or taking an early 2 honor. Its way more powerful at that point than drawing an extra apprentice or miltia.

I don't think so. Skeptic acts as a Heavy Militia or a Mystic from the early game alone, so really we're just comparing an early 2 honor to the cycling ability of the skeptic. Skeptic will normally make your hand marginally better, and at worst not change your hand. Stag on the other hand, loses it's Mystic properties when you choose to gain 2 honor, which unless you drew poorly is probably not the better choice.

galvatron

Pray For Death has beaten me once, so it's not impossible. Guess that infinite overshadowed the memory of winning :).

Is there a place for general discussions like these? Haven't seen them as much now that ascension is so old...

Anecdotally, I've seen lots of people that I play frequently grab lion heart and do fairly well in lots of combinations that contain it. Given that predisposition of my usual opponents, I'd have taken the stag too with much the same reasoning as Jesse. I might even grab the snake shaman or lion heart on my next turn if my opponent was content to leave both skeptics out there for another turn and green was powerful in that set. I do not mind rushing to a favorable end game, which probably hurts my PD scores in world cup. Often I feel that the stag represents 2 points regardless of the board and mystic only in special situations such as early game pathwarden showing up, etc. It seems like a frequent mistake to take 2 runes instead of 2 points (which is often effectively over 4 runes in value since you don't have to grow your deck to cash in)...

Also, I might have my opinion swayed based on how what sets we're playing and the guessing game of what my opponent likes to build/ seems to think that I like to build.

Perhaps this is a hole in my game...

I'd like to get the pros opinions on this. How would you start this match? And why?
Lunar Stag, no question. It's a flexible mystic that can rack up free honor when your hand has "enough" runes. Snake Shaman is a possibility with a decent 2:1 cost:honor ratio and you can pair it with a Heavy Infantry to get 2 deck honor, but it's too early in the game and too little of a boost to be on a straight deck honor build. Elder Skeptic's card draw is nice, but since there's two on the board, you can pick it up next hand if it's still the best option available.

Replace the second Skeptic with some other card obviously not in play, and I'd probably still go Stag, but the right play would be Skeptic.

Replace the second Skeptic with another monster, and I'd probably still go Stag, but double Heavys might be an option.

galvatron

@Pray For Death: Another thing to keep in mind is that as the game gets closer and closer to the end, you need to be less concerned about what the cards you're picking up do for your hand and just start considering how many points they add to your total. You definitely made a pick up or two that might have been a good idea much earlier on in the game, but was a bad idea at the stage where you did it in that last game.

Oh man, this NH game isn't going well. Haha. I've gotten so many of my NeoJungle buff tiles, but have barely gotten any attack tiles, so now every fight I just lose a bunch of buff tiles. Haha.

bonesquad

Oh man, this NH game isn't going well. Haha. I've gotten so many of my NeoJungle buff tiles, but have barely gotten any attack tiles, so now every fight I just lose a bunch of buff tiles. Haha.

Yeah. I noticed:) But that must mean you have a number of attack units for late game...

Is the game waiting on you to make a choice? I went in and saw the battle start. The screen said Initiative 3, but then instantly just said RaySpencer is Offline.

Yeah. I noticed:) But that must mean you have a number of attack units for late game...

Is the game waiting on you to make a choice? I went in and saw the battle start. The screen said Initiative 3, but then instantly just said RaySpencer is Offline.

I had to wait for you to 'choose' your rocket launcher guy target, but I think you didn't actually have a choice, so logging in would have been enough.

The big problem is I don't think I can get anywhere near your base now, and if I do, without the buffs my dudes will be really shit. Haha.

My first turn I got such good tiles, I thought I would be able to do well, but I haven't had a good set since, or at least I haven't been in a position to use them well since then.

@Pray For Death: Another thing to keep in mind is that as the game gets closer and closer to the end, you need to be less concerned about what the cards you're picking up do for your hand and just start considering how many points they add to your total. You definitely made a pick up or two that might have been a good idea much earlier on in the game, but was a bad idea at the stage where you did it in that last game.
Yeah, with that board in late game, I'm totally going for the Shaman and a Heavy for the 2 deck honor. At that point, it's not like I'll ever see them again in the game.

galvatron

Yeah, with that board in late game, I'm totally going for the Shaman and a Heavy for the 2 deck honor. At that point, it's not like I'll ever see them again in the game.

Shaman can sit there and rot. Nobody is getting me to give them a look at another card for a 2 rune cost 1 honor card that I don't plan on putting into play. If I was taking the last turn of the game, I'd agree with you and take the shaman hoping that Rat King shows up so that I can get an extra point.

I think I'm in a bad place right now.

6eMvwzu.jpg

End my suffering, haha.

I had one chance, If I could have taken out that ranged booster in front of your base I could maybe get some damage on you, but your initiative 3 guy killing my dude, I'm 100% screwed now. Haha.

Edit:

Glad I got my nuke, too bad it was on the last turn. Haha.

aS75i7L.jpg

Good game Jeff, you played it perfectly.

Ray (NeoJungle) 10 - Jeff (NewYork) 20

cGmzWc2.jpg

bonesquad

Yeah, good game, that didn't go too well for you. Even at the end when you did use the nuke, my units managed to destroy your guy first to keep the shutout intact:)

Yeah, good game, that didn't go too well for you. Even at the end when you did use the nuke, my units managed to destroy your guy first to keep the shutout intact:)

Yeah, that was brutal, I totally forgot about that asshole shooter down there, I thought I finally took off 1 damage, haha. Oh well!! It was a fun game to play.

This game was a weird one, you had such perfect defensive but offensive positioning on all of your guys, that it very quickly became a really hard match for me to break through your defenses. I lost so poorly, but it really made me realize how much I like NeoJungle, because even though I was backed into a corner almost the whole game, I still ended up avoiding most of your damage until the last 2 battles, NeoJungle stat tiles with shields, extra health tiles, and the swap tiles saved me so much health.

I really enjoyed playing this one, and I cant wait to play NJ again, I still dont love them as much as SMART, but they might be my second favourite team now.

Loads of fun to try to get myself out of that situation, I just couldnt get any help from the right tiles, but thats how NH goes!!

I want an off the record rematch :p

Flynn

Hi Flynn - I created a NH invite for our third round match (I think)
Let me know if you can't see it. If not I'll try again

I thought I got an invite, but nothing was showing in my queue. Adding you on GameCenter in case we aren't already friends.

EDIT: Sent you an invite.

So just out of curiosity, if we moved the Ascension tournament to its own thread, couldn't the NH tournament do the same thing?

We could, and I will of people want me too, but I really would rather not.

I purposely brought back the tournaments to get more discussion going in this thread, and I think it has worked. I think there is way too few people playing iOS board games to make separate threads nessessary.

Ministration

Neo Member
Daaaaaamn! :D
I'd be so down. Only problem is that I don't know who here even has Mercenaries... I beat blahness once, that I know. :p

C'mon Smiley, do your thang! The best peeps to play against are the ones you recruit. :D

I deffo should get around to taking part in NH/Ascension matches here when I can find time. I gotta say though, if you guys ever had a thing for tabletop gaming, I promise you'll find something to love in Ravenmark: Mercenaries. (and if you don't, welp, the game's free anyway!)

Damn all your stupid thwarters Tim!!!!!!

UlN8CUL.jpg

This was after I had killed at least one too, haha. They completely ruined me!

It came downtown the wire, but the FK summoner can't hold a candle to the TO summoner :(

fWIZLuT.jpg

I've played so many FK games now, just about 50 total, I win more than I lose with them now, but my stats are just now getting to 50% with them.

I think it's time I moved in to some other team for awhile, but I'm not sure which one :(

Orcs are my favorite even though I win more with the dwarves. Good game!

Both the orcs and the dwarves seem REALLY good. Borderline overpowered, but in the right hands everything seems over powered.

I've yet to learn any other race besides the elves. I really should though, they look fun.

All of them are great, I hate playing as the goblins and the vanguard, but I know a few people that love both of those armies and kick my ass.

Hmmmmm.... What to learn to play next. I need Hereafter to give me tips again, she got me into FK, I should go back like 120 pages and read all the stuff she said. The master of SW that's for sure.

Edit:

Haha damnit TM24!!

Wy couldn't you forget to move your summoner just once so I could shoot you with my archer!!!!! Hahahaha :p

I had you on the ropes, but it seems you were playing me the whole time! :p

c2ySP6b.jpg

tm24

I've yet to learn any other race besides the elves. I really should though, they look fun.

Vanguard! Angel Rush deck! Cavalry and Malevolence for fire power. Does not work against the ice trolls and hasnt worked against FK so far

Suck it Ray! That entire game was about getting you to burn or lose your 2 steal magic and counter them with my own!

PFD

Shaman can sit there and rot. Nobody is getting me to give them a look at another card for a 2 rune cost 1 honor card that I don't plan on putting into play. If I was taking the last turn of the game, I'd agree with you and take the shaman hoping that Rat King shows up so that I can get an extra point.

Thanks for the tip, this is something I had never considered before (giving opponent free look at next card.) And people here seem split between stag and skeptic. I generally prefer stag, but I dunno. Guess I'll decide on a game by game basis.

Vanguard! Angel Rush deck! Cavalry and Malevolence for fire power. Does not work against the ice trolls and hasnt worked against FK so far

Suck it Ray! That entire game was about getting you to burn or lose your 2 steal magic and counter them with my own!

I just can't get behind vanguard, I've tried them, I know how they play and how to win with them, but I just dont enjoy most of their units or play style.

FK is really simple to play, and can get out of a lot of bad situations, so I like that. I think I will just do the rounds on all the armies, except goblins and vanguard. Heh.

YAY AWESOME!!!!!!!

2 more Eclipse games disappeared!

Im starting to hate everyone now. Im going to have to play 2 player only games so if it disappears I can yell at a specific person.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
YAY AWESOME!!!!!!!

2 more Eclipse games disappeared!

Im starting to hate everyone now. Im going to have to play 2 player only games so if it disappears I can yell at a specific person.

This is the nice thing about Playdek you can see where everyone's timers are at. Eclipse you can go in and see whose turn it is but everything takes so long I never do it.

Should invite me.

Done and done.

Im seriously pissed about this.

Dont blame notifications either, we are all playing fuckloads of games at all times. Did you just take your turns in SW/Ascension/Agricola/Lost Cities/Neuroshima Hex/Ticket to Ride/Carassonne/etc. then check Eclipse too, it might be your turn.

Ive only been playing Eclipse games with people im also playing in other games, so I know everyone checks checks at least once a day (with some exceptions some days).

It just such a god damn waste of time, I love Eclipse, I love playing Eclipse, its probably my favourite board game ever, but when so many games are getting to round 7 or 8 then just vanishing its annoying as fuck, and a complete waste of my time.

/end angry rant.

edit:

This is the nice thing about Playdek you can see where everyone's timers are at. Eclipse you can go in and see whose turn it is but everything takes so long I never do it.

Yeah, PlayDeks system is better, especially the fact where if one person doesnt take their turns, the game doesnt just vanish, they just get kicked out.

That being said, its not hard to check eclipse, booting the game up and letting the server check all your games to see if your turn or not is relatively quick, just dont start loading up the actual games themselves. Honestly loading up Agricola when its your turn in a 4-5 player game takes longer, because it slowly goes through what everyone did on their turn before you.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/a-brief-history-of-the-world/id490152130?mt=8

Just played the tutorial.

ABHOTW looks like fun and should be really good for async. ( i.e. no micro-turns like Eclipse, Le Havre, Caylus or Agricola).
6 Epochs, each epoch you play out your Empire, score it, and on it goes to the next player. There's some card selection after each epoch but that's it.
So essentially, 6 goes and it's over (unless I have the rules really wrong).
There's invading, dice battles, monuments, Vikings, Romans, Barbarians, Americans.
It has a "last goes first" balancing mechanism so the leader has last choice of empire each time.

Top Bottom