• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Brakara

Oh god, I'm rusty in Carc. Btw, didn't the game use to tell you if you were to place a tile that would make adjacent tiles X ? It sure didn't yesterday... :(

Oh god, I'm rusty in Carc. Btw, didn't the game use to tell you if you were to place a tile that would make adjacent tiles X ? It sure didn't yesterday... :(
It's one of the rules/expansions that are configurable when creating the invite so perhaps the 'Inviter' turned it off.

Oh, that explains it. Is there a way to see the game's configuration?

If you look at the list of games, there may be symbols for expansions and rules underneath, if they were ticked when the game was created.
The tiles one ("Disable Crosses and remaining Tiles") is a a red circle with stacked squares inside it. If playing with the defaults there won't be.
You can set up a test with a local game against the AI to double check.

eznark

Banned
Shit sorry, didn't get a notification and I forgot my ipad at home. I'm definitely going to lose so you can consider it done. There's like no way out for me.

Holy crap Agricola is complex. There are so many damn options. I have Agricola All Creatures Big and Small and love playing that with my wife, but it is far less complex than the full Agricola. Keeping track of rooms and occupations and major improvements and minor improvements and fields and fences and stables and animals, yeesh.

Starting a game against the computer and i have no idea how to even start, what I should be going for and what resources are best to get.

Thanks again superrobot for the code, that was awesome of you.

This is where the implementation falls down a bit if you haven't played the cardboard version before. I think they should have set up a series of mini challenges after the tutorial to get new players used to the kinds of things you need to do to do well in the game, without having to go through a full game to do it.
e.g. Give them the Hedge Keeper and set a goal of getting a certain number of animals,
or the axe and asking you to get to 5 rooms by turn X... .
That way you'd learn some of the neat things you can do with the occupations and improvements and when you see the cards in a proper game you'd start to key into some of the things you might want to achieve.
That would have helped my wife who likes the game but isn't a big game nerd.

But yeah, what AstroLad said :p

CzarTim

This is where the implementation falls down a bit if you haven't played the cardboard version before. I think they should have set up a series of mini challenges after the tutorial to get new players used to the kinds of things you need to do to do well in the game, without having to go through a full game to do it.
e.g. Give them the Hedge Keeper and set a goal of getting a certain number of animals,
or the axe and asking you to get to 5 rooms by turn 8... .
That way you'd learn some of the neat things you can do with the occupations and improvements and when you see the cards in a proper game you'd start to key into some of the things you might want to achieve.
That would have helped my wife who likes the game but isn't a big game nerd.

But yeah, what AstroLad said :p
Yeah, it took me a dozen games or so for it to click.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Ithaqua mission in Elder Signs is total bullshit right? I beat it once upon a time but I'm trying to go back through it to get the achievement. Spoilers:

Once you get to Alaska or whatever it seems like at some point you have an encounter where you just lose all your supplies, regardless of how many you had in the first place. Now your investigators are losing two health per turn and you're basically screwed the moment the game decided to randomly generate this event. Gr.

Heel

Quarriors! for iPad in November. 2-4 online multiplayer.

pic1819582_lg.jpg

Shit sorry, didn't get a notification and I forgot my ipad at home. I'm definitely going to lose so you can consider it done. There's like no way out for me.

Ok.

I putting you down for a loss, and Smiley for a win. I just need your army choices then.

I will also give Slacker the win over AirBrian since he hasnt posted anything here, and I think over 3 weeks is plenty of time, haha.
Slackers stupid win over Brian puts him into the finals, and knocks me out too, dumb jerk! :p

Ok heres the final results of the "season" :

Armies:

Green = Win, Red = Loss, Black = Tie, Grey = Didnt get used.

Now onto the finals.

Neuroshima Hex Tournament 3 Finals

Top 4:

1 - Flynn | Triphibian
2 - bonesquad | justjeff
3 - Slacker | Slacker
4 - blahness | blahness

Important Links:
Challonge Link
Google Spreadsheet - Army Tracker

Rules:
- Best of 3
- First game: Top invites bottom, Top gets first pick
- Second game: Loser invites winner, loser gets first pick
- Third game (if needed): Loser invites winner, loser gets first pick
- Replay any Ties.
- Each army may only be used one time
- The 3 newly released armies are banned from the finals.

Any questions?

Oh, it was me Borgo vs him... NY? I think.

Ok, thanks. adding those in.

edit:

Gonna add this again here, to make sure people see it. Make sure to read the rules, and ask questions if you have any. I can change any rules if all 4 of you agree.

Neuroshima Hex Tournament 3 Finals

Top 4:

1 - Flynn | Triphibian
2 - bonesquad | justjeff
3 - Slacker | Slacker
4 - blahness | blahness

Important Links:
Challonge Link
Google Spreadsheet - Army Tracker

Rules:
- Best of 3
- Replay any Ties.

Any questions?

Heel

I don't play NH, but that spreadsheet is interesting. Do you guys think Neo Jungle is low tier and New York is high tier, or is that just how it worked out? Seems pretty well balanced just looking at the Win/Loss.

Is this any good? I will download it because its free, but Ive never heard of it. haha.

Haven't played, but the developer Stardock has a good lineage and looks to be releasing some pretty cool iOS stuff.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/i...s-card-game-dead-mans-draw-coming-next-month/

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't play NH, but that spreadsheet is interesting. Do you guys think Neo Jungle is low tier and New York is high tier, or is that just how it worked out? Seems pretty well balanced just looking at the Win/Loss.

Haven't played, but the developer Stardock has a good lineage and looks to be releasing some pretty cool iOS stuff.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/i...s-card-game-dead-mans-draw-coming-next-month/

I love Stardock.

And yes, NeoJungle is one of the worst, because they need a LOT of luck/good early draw to work. NY is very, very good.

Yeah NeoJungle is probably a lower tier, but its pretty well balanced that even NeoJungle can beat NewYork fairly often. A lot of the time it just comes down to your tile draw, and then what's easier to use.

New York's tile set is pretty good, they have a good assortment of attack tiles, and their main base (HQ) has an easy to use power that just gives everything around it 1 extra HP. So you're pretty likely to get some good damaging tiles early and often, and be able to bunker down and turtle in most of their games easier.

Neo Jungle on the other hand has a lot of buffing tiles, which is great if you can link them all with your base and create a chain of units, then they are pretty much unstoppable and can easily become a top tier team. You can get fucked though when you're NJ, if you get all buffing tiles, and your opponent gets some good damage tiles to clear those out of the way early on, you will have a pretty hard time coming back from it. They are a more luck based team, in a game that already requires a good amount of luck, so they can be a little harder to play.

Borgo barely breaking .500 is pretty surprising though, they are a strong team with a lot of damaging tiles like New York, so them not being higher in wins is a little weird.

Flynn

Rules:
- Best of 3
- Replay any Ties.

Any questions?

Sounds good to me. Good luck, everyone!

The adds that popup when I load Le Havre make me not want to play Le Havre. I own own all these games they are advertising, leave me alone! Fucking popup adds.

PFD

So for all of you playing Carc, Eclipse, Pandemic, etc. on their iPad, which iPad are you using?

I just got an Air, so happy with my purchase. The thing is so light!

Regarding elder signs, the game is a wonderful singleplayer experience. The expansions are must-buys IMO. They're excellent.

tm24

Playing carc against astro is so frustrating. Just when you think you have him, he turns the tables like a yugioh duel

CzarTim

Playing carc against astro is so frustrating. Just when you think you have him, he turns the tables like a yugioh duel

Playing against Mike Works is the same. Picked up a lot of good tricks from him that I will never execute as well.

Heel

Carc pro tip: if playing against multple opponents and heel is one of em, just let him have e farm

lol

Carc pro tip: Convince your opponents you'll fight over something until you both lose. Follow through with the threat when necessary.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Carc pro tip:

HOW DID I WIN LAST GAME I DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANY TIPS TO GIVE

Heel

Can I blame Yaboosh for that one? He completed his turn in two games back to back, one where im red, and one where im blue. Sooooooo....its all his fault.

:'(

lol

I don't think anything changed besides you getting a barrel. My next piece would've closed the city, and I would've put a meeple in the same field. You did kind of waste a turn, though. :(

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Count me in. Team-based Carc was definitely brought up earlier in the thread and it does sound like a great concept to try out!

I would love to try team carc as well..keep me in mind if you get something going.

I quite like 2p carc myself, it is so much easier to have a somewhat tight strategy that way.

Vard

I would love to try team carc as well..keep me in mind if you get something going.

I quite like 2p carc myself, it is so much easier to have a somewhat tight strategy that way.
Heel, you want to be part of this too?

Next person who wants to try 2v2 Carc, speak up... I can create a match.

Expansions? Traders & Builders at the least.

Top Bottom