• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

ipad3. i don't know if i'll get the air or just wait for one more update. if they had preorders open yesterday i would have impulse bought it but thankfully i have some time to think about it. :)

I play on my iPad 3, but I will be trying to sell it for a mini. A couple friends have the mini, and I love it and now hat it's retina I need that shit ASAP.

I'm going to replace my iPad 3 and I was leaning towards the retina Mini. How light they made the Air is intriguing though and making me rethink things.

So are you considering replacing because things are running slower or is it just due to new hotness?

I'm still using an iPad2. Everyone with these newer models is making me jelly.

How is your iPad2's performance? Are there newer games or other apps that are affected?

Not if you like to read comic books on it. Personally, I can't wait for the Air.

I am a comic reader too which is why I would not consider a mini.

Brakara

So are you considering replacing because things are running slower or is it just due to new hotness?

I have an iPad 3 and am going to get the new Air. But my main reason for upgrading is not actually performance, but storage. I have 64GB, but it's always filled, so I need a 128GB one. And getting an iPad 4 was never under consideration, since it was launched only 6 months after the iPad 3.

So, the iPad 3 is more than suitable for my needs (games, videos, comics, books, among others), though to be fair the performance is not stellar either. In fact, it's probably better on iPad 2 due to not having to shuffle around all those pixels. But since you read comic books I do not recommend you getting an iPad 2. You want a retina display for that.

mercviper

How is your iPad2's performance? Are there newer games or other apps that are affected?

Space is a problem but performance-wise zero issues. Then again, I also don't have iOS7 on it yet because space is a problem. I have like 16gb total which I thought would be plenty w/o music but some apps take up a lot of room. And to get a 700mb update I need 3gb of space. I suspect upgrading to iOS7 will lead to a performance hit too, but that's only judging from previous experience of updating to a new iOS with an older iDevice. Could be different with newer tech.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I finally read the rules of the tabletop version of Elder Sign, which got me back into the app. Interesting the several key differences between the two. App is amazing fun--probably the best iOS board game for single-player play.

I've played the AI and it didn't crash, so already streets ahead of its stable-mate Alhambra!
It's quite playable - I didn't know the game that well.
The multiplayer is the same bespoke system that Alhambra uses, which means no direct invites (you can set passwords though)

Heh, I will hold off on getting it then :p

iPad3 still runs things great, I just really like the size and lightness of the Mini, but I could never downgrade to a non-retina screen, so now that issue is solved, its time to make the switch!

I'm going to buy a surface 2 just to get away from NH.

No! I will not allow this!

I've played the AI and it didn't crash, so already streets ahead of its stable-mate Alhambra!
It's quite playable - I didn't know the game that well.
The multiplayer is the same bespoke system that Alhambra uses, which means no direct invites (you can set passwords though)
I'm wrong about the multiplayer.
As far as I can see you end up in a lobby with chat.
No idea what happens then or if it is async.

I'm wrong about the multiplayer.
As far as I can see you end up in a lobby with chat.
No idea what happens then or if it is async.

I went further.
It is not async - you end up on BSW, which is very weird.
I did play through a game which went ok but If you type anything into chat you get error messages from the cryptic BSW server and I then got screens and screens of Hungarian chat.
Very odd.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I went further.
It is not async - you end up on BSW, which is very weird.
I did play through a game which went ok but If you type anything into chat you get error messages from the cryptic BSW server and I then got screens and screens of Hungarian chat.
Very odd.

Sounds gross. Staying away for now. Having lots of fun with Elder Sign and looking forward to the next big release.

Sounds gross. Staying away for now. Having lots of fun with Elder Sign and looking forward to the next big release.

I've tried getting into elder signs a couple times now, but I just get confused about what I'm doing. Haha. I blame it on my laziness and not the game so I will try again soon.

Brakara

I've tried getting into elder signs a couple times now, but I just get confused about what I'm doing. Haha. I blame it on my laziness and not the game so I will try again soon.

Yeah, it's pretty daunting. I bought it after watching it on TableTop, but am in the same boat as you. I need to muster the willpower to learn it, because it looks actually like a really fun game to play.

Heel

Trying to put together Carc games, but no one's joining :(

Anyone out there want to play? Let me know how many players and what expansions you'd like to play with. I'm down for whatever.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Anyone out there want to play? Let me know how many players and what expansions you'd like to play with. I'm down for whatever.

I'm in 2 games with you already.... :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I am down to one game which is horrible news. I will be throwing out a bunch of invites tonight.

Brakara

Sure, and any, all or no expansions are fine by me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It's funny it's kind of a small hump to get over at first but the game is actually SO simple. You have six green dice (five? I forget) for each investigator. On a turn they can either chill at the museum (and buy stuff or regain health) or go to any of the adventure cards. When they go to an adventure card they have to roll the symbols indicated on those cards. Sometimes there's only one part -- maybe something that requires you to roll a Terror, Lore, and 3 Investigation points. When you roll you'll either hit it and pass the mission and get the reward, or miss it. When you miss you have to dump a die and you can "save" one die and then continue rolling with your remaining dice. Some missions have multiple parts, there you can only beat one at a time. And in some they're numbered I, II, III, and there you have to do those parts in order. Any dice spent go away for the turn. Sometimes you will want to roll more dice, and this is what items are for -- they let you add the red and yellow dice to your rolls. If you're unable to complete the quest you get the penalty (usually losing life or something).

Keep going around like that and trying to rack up Elder Signs to win before the baddie gets enough Doom Tokens to win. There's also fun little things like monsters who add more things to do on a mission or things that lock dice, but that's the heart of it. It's Yahtzee Arkham Horror.

Yeah, it's pretty daunting. I bought it after watching it on TableTop, but am in the same boat as you. I need to muster the willpower to learn it, because it looks actually like a really fun game to play.

It seems simple when you know it, but its kinda got that RFTG thing where its a little confusing to learn, haha.

It's funny it's kind of a small hump to get over at first but the game is actually SO simple. You have six green dice (five? I forget) for each investigator. On a turn they can either chill at the museum (and buy stuff or regain health) or go to any of the adventure cards. When they go to an adventure card they have to roll the symbols indicated on those cards. Sometimes there's only one part -- maybe something that requires you to roll a Terror, Lore, and 3 Investigation points. When you roll you'll either hit it and pass the mission and get the reward, or miss it. When you miss you have to dump a die and you can "save" one die and then continue rolling with your remaining dice. Some missions have multiple parts, there you can only beat one at a time. And in some they're numbered I, II, III, and there you have to do those parts in order. Any dice spent go away for the turn. Sometimes you will want to roll more dice, and this is what items are for -- they let you add the red and yellow dice to your rolls. If you're unable to complete the quest you get the penalty (usually losing life or something).

Keep going around like that and trying to rack up Elder Signs to win before the baddie gets enough Doom Tokens to win. There's also fun little things like monsters who add more things to do on a mission or things that lock dice, but that's the heart of it. It's Yahtzee Arkham Horror.

Thanks for the tips man, I will take another shot at figuring it out this weekend, im sure its simple, its just seems a lot different from other games I have played, so its a little hard to take in at first.

edit:

Send me more invites, Carc is a super simple game to just have a bunch of games going. Though I do hate it when im Red in 99% of my games, then fucking some other colour in fucking ONE game, it drives me bonkers. So make sure im red in all your games :p

blahness

Invite me, I will join. I am down for any number of players or expansions.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
2 player carc is the real carc.

Thinking of picking up Agricola but not sure how well it plays async or how many here are playing it regularly.

Thinking of picking up Agricola but not sure how well it plays async or how many here are playing it regularly.

I personally dont think its a great async game (even if its one of my favourite board games), and once I finished my rush of games that happened on release I stopped playing.

I havent played a game since. Amazing game though, and its playdek so the async works really well, I just dont think its well suited for the game.

Heel

Sent out invites to everyone for Carc.

I'm in 2 games with you already.... :p

Yeah, and it's your turn! lol

I'm always game. All expansions too.

Couldn't find you on my friends list, so sent you a friend request. Weird, figured I would've added you by now.

I'm down for another 2 player game. Last one was fun. Send me an invite with whichever expansions you prefer if you want to play again.

CzarTim

Agricola is a fantastic live game, and seems to have an active community (at least last time I checked).

But for async, it's not great. It's a game that really requires unbroken concentration.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I like it. Have finished around 20 games or so I think? Have a game going right now and I'm always up for invites.

Send me more invites, Carc is a super simple game to just have a bunch of games going. Though I do hate it when im Red in 99% of my games, then fucking some other colour in fucking ONE game, it drives me bonkers. So make sure im red in all your games :p

Yaboosh and tm24 are both jerks.

STUPID BLUE! I HATE BLUE!! :mad:

haha

Smiley90

Sent out invites to everyone for Carc.

Yeah, and it's your turn! lol

Couldn't find you on my friends list, so sent you a friend request. Weird, figured I would've added you by now.

I'm down for another 2 player game. Last one was fun. Send me an invite with whichever expansions you prefer if you want to play again.

It doesn't show up as my turn oO. Like I'm ingame and it doesn't load any tiles for me to play? It says it's your turn in both games oO

Edit: nvm, logged into carc on my iPad and there it worked. Weird. :p

bonesquad

Sweet. New armies. That eznark guy will be excited.

I also got my free game from Playdek. The only one I didn't have and I said I'd only ever play if I got it free... And now that I have I'm still not sure I want to try it. Well, it's the thought that counts.

I bought all the armies! I will send out some invites to people later if they want to play. But feel free to send them my way anytime. I need to learn these bastards.

eznark

Banned
Is Summoner Wars fixed yet?

Oh, I probably wasn't getting the turn notification for NH because I hadn't updated. my bad

Sweet. New armies. That eznark guy will be excited.

I also got my free game from Playdek. The only one I didn't have and I said I'd only ever play if I got it free... And now that I have I'm still not sure I want to try it. Well, it's the thought that counts.
I couldn't face Food Fight and wasn't interested in Fluxx.
So I got an Agricola code to pass on to my brother, who tells me he already has it. Durr!

If anyone is on the fence (see what I did there) about 'Gric let me know (PM me) and I'll pass it on.
2 week time limit on the code

Edit: gone now.

Smiley90

Oh, I probably wasn't getting the turn notification for NH because I hadn't updated. my bad

I didn't get any turn notifications either, so let's blame it on that.

Will update/buy armies once I'm home and on wifi. "Doomsday machine army" sounds badass lol.

Heel

I feel like two player Carc is just a way to find out who the biggest asshole is lol. Not sure that I actually enjoy it.

There should be a co-op version similar to the single player mode for score attacking, completing objectives, that kind of thing. Could be fun.

Nope :(

I feel like two player Carc is just a way to find out who the biggest asshole is lol. Not sure that I actually enjoy it.

There should be a co-op version similar to the single player mode for score attacking, completing objectives, that kind of thing. Could be fun.

Yeah, co-op would be nice. There was going to be a make shift co-op carc tourney, not sure what happened with that though.

Smiley90

Oh wow, these new armies and their units are fucking weeeeeeeird.

I love it.

I need to play them and see how they actually play... AND work. :lol Sharrash is kind of more of the same, while Doomsday machine and especially Dancer are TOTALLY new things. Dancer is just... wtf?

Heel

Yeah, co-op would be nice. There was going to be a make shift co-op carc tourney, not sure what happened with that though.

2 vs. 2 and add up scores at the end, or something different? Could be interesting, but who knows how long a tournament would take. Plus you're kind of limited on how much you can truly help your teammate since you can't count your meeples together. There are some situations where you can finish their cities, block people for them, and generally not screw them over.

Anyone want to try a game like this?

Oh wow, these new armies and their units are fucking weeeeeeeird.

I love it.

I need to play them and see how they actually play... AND work. :lol Sharrash is kind of more of the same, while Doomsday machine and especially Dancer are TOTALLY new things. Dancer is just... wtf?

Sorry, full on games right now smiley! We will play later.

2 vs. 2 and add up scores at the end, or something different? Could be interesting, but who knows how long a tournament would take. Plus you're kind of limited on how much you can truly help your teammate since you can't count your meeples together. There are some situations where you can finish their cities, block people for them, and generally not screw them over.

Something like that, I wasn't planning it out, so I don't remember how it worked. I think it could be fun though.

Vard

I hope our 1v1 game wasn't what led you to that conclusion haha.

Count me in. Team-based Carc was definitely brought up earlier in the thread and it does sound like a great concept to try out!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Holy crap Agricola is complex. There are so many damn options. I have Agricola All Creatures Big and Small and love playing that with my wife, but it is far less complex than the full Agricola. Keeping track of rooms and occupations and major improvements and minor improvements and fields and fences and stables and animals, yeesh.

Starting a game against the computer and i have no idea how to even start, what I should be going for and what resources are best to get.

Thanks again superrobot for the code, that was awesome of you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy crap Agricola is complex. There are so many damn options. I have Agricola All Creatures Big and Small and love playing that with my wife, but it is far less complex than the full Agricola. Keeping track of rooms and occupations and major improvements and minor improvements and fields and fences and stables and animals, yeesh.

Starting a game against the computer and i have no idea how to even start, what I should be going for and what resources are best to get.

Thanks again superrobot for the code, that was awesome of you.

Occupations, then wood, then reed to add rooms and have babies. Maybe some clay if you want to build an oven to chuck animals into for food.

Top Bottom